HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk

Old
02-27-2010, 05:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk

Pierre LeBrun

Quote:
The president of the KHL confirmed Saturday that the Russian-based league will aggressively pursue star winger Ilya Kovalchuk once his NHL contract expires on June 30.

"Yes, yes, because it will be absolutely legal," Alexander Medvedev said during a sitdown interview with ESPN.com and The Hockey News. "It's understood with the leagues that if it's a free agent or even a restricted free agent, they could decide where to play. So Kovalchuk has the full right to decide where to play. We are going to negotiate with him and his agents what kind of agreement could be reached."
Quote:
"The difference between 45 percent taxes and 13 percent taxes is substantial," Medvedev said. "We could top that [NHL] money he would receive by a substantial sum up. He will decide."

In other words, a $7-million salary in Russia for Kovalchuk is akin to making almost double in the NHL and that's what Medvedev hopes will be the biggest allure.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4952551

As Teddy KGB said

See ya Ilya.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
panthersfan751

I hope he doesn't leave the NHL, but with the money the KHL will probably throw at him, I think there's certainly a good chance he leaves.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:21 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
KHL president Alexander Medvedev said in an interview with THN.com and ESPN.com Saturday morning that SKA St. Petersburg, which is sponsored by the Gazprom company of which Medvedev is deputy chairman, will make an offer better than any NHL team can under the current CBA when Kovalchuk’s contract expires. If that happens, it will mark the first time the KHL has managed to lure a superstar player from the NHL in his prime.

Kovalchuk is due to become an unrestricted free agent July 1 and depending on where the salary cap is set, the maximum he could be offered would be about $11 million per season. Medvedev said that with the better tax structure in Russia for Russian citizens, St. Petersburg will be in a position to make Kovalchuk richer.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-contract.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
John Torturella

Anything to keep Sather from giving him a huge contract. The guy cant hack the pressure. He would be well suited for the KHL.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
It's not going to happen.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Help me understand...is Kovalchuk really going to sign with the ''KHL''? That's what people keep saying. So it would not be with a specific team in the KHL, but with the league?

Edit: Ranger Boy clears it up with his last post, so it would be Medvedev's team. Thanks.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Ilya rips Lemaire apart and is heard yelling at Lou saying...

"This son of ***** all night.. check, check, check...
He trapped me"!

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
NinthSpoke06

This is a surprise? The KHL is begging to become a legitimate league and they only way they can do that is by getting stars to play there WHILE they are in their prime, not after their prime.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Nothing in here is, or more precisely should be actually new to anyone. So why is this newsworthy...? We knew before that he can make more money in the KHL. That's not saying he will. Let's just wait until something happens or something is said that actually matters by someone who actually matters in this.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

I always have wondered if the value assigned to the healthcare, travel and other perks of the NHL outweight that extra cost, because I doubt the facilities and such are even close.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
ccgg

ccgg: "KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk.... and Malkin, Semin, Dastyuk, Gonchar, Markov, Volchenkov, Nabokov, Tyutin, Ovechkin, Bryzgalov"

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:02 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
ccgg: "KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk.... and Malkin, Semin, Dastyuk, Gonchar, Markov, Volchenkov, Nabokov, Tyutin, Ovechkin, Bryzgalov"
Yep, big news.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:03 PM
deanmoriarty

I'm expecting Kovy to go to Russia. And good riddance when he does.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

There's a decent chance Ilya will sign in the KHL.

If he wanted to play for a bubble team or non-contender that would pay him off then he probably would've stayed in Atlanta.

He held out half a month when he was an RFA until he got a 7 mil+ contract 4 years ago. If that doesn't scream 'It's about the money.' then I don't know what does.

I know there's a lot to be said for playing for a contender and such, but I just really don't see Kovy signing in the NHL for under 8.5 million a season, and I'm not sure any contender will offer him that.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

no ****.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
The best players in the world want to play in the best league in the world, and right now, that's the NHL. I would hope that if I were a player that was already making millions of dollars, I wouldn't play in an inferior league just so I could make a few more million.

Ilya makes more money in one year than most people do in a lifetime.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
He can go home and make double what he makes here in the states? He's gone.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:11 PM
HackandLube

I think that since this Kovy's first shot at FA, he is going to sell himself to the NHL team of his choice because he still wants to win a Stanley Cup Championship. He'll do that for maybe 2-3 years and if that fails, he'll goto the KHL for the bucks.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
OVrocks

Big KHL clubs have way more $$$ to spend than most NHL teams save for maybe NY Rangers. Most owners are oligarchs who aren't really in it to make a profit it's just entertainment. I predict that 5-10 years down the road that the majority of big time euro talent will play in the KHL.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:16 PM
StanGetz*

Why does everyone around here dog the KHL so much? Is it as good as the NHL? No, not at all. But it's still in its infancy. Give it a few years, and it may be a very legitimate league. If Russian and surrounding players can get more money, play closer to home, and feel more comfortable, more power to them.

I know if the KHL was around when I was playing, I would have explored the option. I never got drafted, or noticed by anyone in North America. To have a second elite option is not a bad thing for anyone.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I honestly don't care. The NHL will make do with Kovalchuk. It's not like the league will miss him. If he goes to Russia, good for him. He can coast his way through a lucrative contract and not have as much pressure riding on him and there will be less physical contact to endure.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
HackandLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVrocks View Post
Big KHL clubs have way more $$$ to spend than most NHL teams save for maybe NY Rangers. Most owners are oligarchs who aren't really in it to make a profit it's just entertainment. I predict that 5-10 years down the road that the majority of big time euro talent will play in the KHL.
With the cap, it doesn't matter. NHL teams can't pay out more than what the cap dictates. Because of the cap, all the teams could technically afford him but you are right that an uncapped KHL team with a lot of money behind it could always outbid an NHL team.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:25 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
Why does everyone around here dog the KHL so much? Is it as good as the NHL? No, not at all. But it's still in its infancy. Give it a few years, and it may be a very legitimate league. If Russian and surrounding players can get more money, play closer to home, and feel more comfortable, more power to them.

I know if the KHL was around when I was playing, I would have explored the option. I never got drafted, or noticed by anyone in North America. To have a second elite option is not a bad thing for anyone.
If I was Russian I would not hesitate to play in the KHL. More $, closer to home, less games per season, less physical style of game? Yeah, the Stanley Cup is great and all but sign me up.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
In other news, water is still wet, the Pope is still Catholic, and bears still **** in the woods.

This has been common knowledge for months.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeShot View Post
If I was Russian I would not hesitate to play in the KHL. More $, closer to home, less games per season, less physical style of game? Yeah, the Stanley Cup is great and all but sign me up.
you've got to think kovalchuk wants a cup ring before he goes home.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote