HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

KHL hopes to add Kovalchuk

Old
02-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

vCash: 500
Lebrun gets paid (what I imagine to be) a hefty salary to write common sense.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TaiterTML

Take him we don't need him

TaiterTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeShot View Post
If I was Russian I would not hesitate to play in the KHL. More $, closer to home, less games per season, less physical style of game? Yeah, the Stanley Cup is great and all but sign me up.
Bingo. I say the only thing that potentially could hold him back is if his wife/gf is an American/Canadian. Does he have kids? Stuff like that could be a sticking point.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:56 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Bingo. I say the only thing that potentially could hold him back is if his wife/gf is an American/Canadian. Does he have kids? Stuff like that could be a sticking point.

"Ilya Kovalchuk with his wife Nicole Ambrazaitis (yes she is Lithuanian like Zubrus and Kasparaitis) and daughter Carolina Sofia (Courtesy golden-news)"

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Mongo Nation

I'd love for Lou Lamoriello to find a way to re-sign him, but if he can't then I'd rather see him bolt to Russia than bolt to another NHL team. At least then the sting of losing him in free agency doesn't hurt as bad.

Mongo Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Crimson Devil*

Hey Medvedev, guess what? His family has a say in the situation. I still don't think he's all about the money, and that he likes playing in the best league in the world.

So you can take your money and shove it up your ass.

Very unprofessional to keep talking about offering huge money when he's still on contract. Why not develop your own ****ing players instead of poaching ours?

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post

"Ilya Kovalchuk with his wife Nicole Ambrazaitis (yes she is Lithuanian like Zubrus and Kasparaitis) and daughter Carolina Sofia (Courtesy golden-news)"
They wont have a problem moving to Russia then.

Old
02-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
Hey Medvedev, guess what? His family has a say in the situation. I still don't think he's all about the money, and that he likes playing in the best league in the world.

Very unprofessional to keep talking about offering huge money when he's still on contract. Why not develop your own ****ing players instead of poaching ours?
Technically, the NHL poached him.

Old
02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

You're right, it is unprofessional to to talk about that, and if any team in the NHL did this, Lou would go after them for tampering. Medvedev is not doing himself any favours with NHL teams by saying this, though he probably doesn't care about that. He doesn't have anything to do with the NHL, and he doesn't have to abide by league rules. Fine.

And I'm also hoping that Kovlachuk is not about the big money, and wants to stay in NJ, where he has a chance to win the Cup every season.

But I lost you in the last sentence. They don't see it as poaching our players, nor should they. Unless Kovalchuk signs with the Devils before July 1, he will become a UFA on that day, free to go wherever he wants. If he goes to the KHL, that's not poaching, as opposed what they did with Radulov, who was under contract. That is poaching.

And I don't know what you mean by "develop your own talent". Kovalchuk was born in Russia, and played in Russian junior leagues until he was drafted at 18. They did develop him. If Kovalchuk was North American you might have a point.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
glassjaw*

I'll drive him to the (air)port.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
bigtimehockeyfan

He is going to make millions regardless, and I doubt the KHL throws him more than a 5 year deal with that sort of money. Some NHL team will throw him a 8-10 year contract. He'll bite it.

bigtimehockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaw View Post
I'll drive him to the (air)port.
And you'll meet a roadblock of Devils fans.

Old
02-27-2010, 08:37 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:

Let's be honest though man, the NHL poaches a lot of players every single off season. Russia develops lots of their own players, we poached two of the best in Malkin and Ovi. Remember how difficult it was for Malkin to defect here? I'm not sure why it makes you so damn angry.

You speak like these guys are taking something away from you, but it's their life, let them do what they need to do. Maybe North America and the NHL aren't the be-all-end-all to some people. Saying things like "take your money and shove it up your ass" is just totally ignorant considering all the circumstances. Lighten up a little.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:37 PM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

I don't think he'll pull a Jagr and leave for the KHL, he actually enjoys winning

but after he helps us win the cup he can go where ever the **** he wants, I could care less

MountainGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
OrangeBlue10

how dos a new league afford these players

OrangeBlue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonSouray44 View Post
how dos a new league afford these players
The Russian mob has deep pockets.

Matt714* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

In reality, it's nothing more than pure speculation. What will happen come the offseason will happen. Meanwhile Kovalchuk is in NJ for the remainder of this season.

Which is good for both player and team. That clearly annoys some rival fans.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
2.5 kids.

I've heard that both of them prefer living in North America, but who knows if KHL is paying $7 million more than highest NHL offer..."Money talks, and ___ walks"

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:

his wife was a russian pop-star. if she wants to resurrect her career now would be her best chance. his family may have a say in the wrong way.

poaching ours? technically we took 4 of the top 5 forwards in the world (ovechkin malkin, kovalchuk, datsyuk) from them. WE took THEIR players. THEY developed them, not US. the ridiculous level of slef righteousness on here sometimes is baffling.

i find it kind of hilarious that all of a sudden devils fans are all of the belief that he's here forever. ya'll do realize that even if he does stay that's doesn't mean he'll re-sign with you right?

and for the record i certainly hope he stays here and signs with a team i like to watch

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
i find it kind of hilarious that all of a sudden devils fans are all of the belief that he's here forever. ya'll do realize that even if he does stay that's doesn't mean he'll re-sign with you right?

and for the record i certainly hope he stays here and signs with a team i like to watch
Of course we understand that. But fans can still hope, right?

As a Devils fan, I hope that Kovalchuk likes it in New Jersey, and he fits well with the team concept, so that Lou and Kovy agree to have him stay long-term.

As a fan of hockey, and more specifically the NHL brand of hockey, I hope the best talent in the world remains in this league.

Old
02-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Ashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
You're right, it is unprofessional to to talk about that, and if any team in the NHL did this, Lou would go after them for tampering. Medvedev is not doing himself any favours with NHL teams by saying this, though he probably doesn't care about that. He doesn't have anything to do with the NHL, and he doesn't have to abide by league rules. Fine.

And I'm also hoping that Kovlachuk is not about the big money, and wants to stay in NJ, where he has a chance to win the Cup every season.

But I lost you in the last sentence. They don't see it as poaching our players, nor should they. Unless Kovalchuk signs with the Devils before July 1, he will become a UFA on that day, free to go wherever he wants. If he goes to the KHL, that's not poaching, as opposed what they did with Radulov, who was under contract. That is poaching.

And I don't know what you mean by "develop your own talent". Kovalchuk was born in Russia, and played in Russian junior leagues until he was drafted at 18. They did develop him. If Kovalchuk was North American you might have a point.
Atlanta offered him 10 mil a year. And it wasnt enough to convince him to stay here, even though we are a year or two behind chicago where they were in their rebuild. If you would like to say its not about the money, Where he repeatedly said "I love Atlanta, and so does my wife" Yet, turned down the biggest contract in the history of the league for a guy who doesnt understand defense. I happen to believe it is about the money for him, Like rhodes said; he played in russia for a month because we offered him 5 years on RFA deal, not 7. And when we gave him 7 he came back a completely different player.

Wait til he costs you guys games, you'll want him out.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
Atlanta offered him 10 mil a year. And it wasnt enough to convince him to stay here, even though we are a year or two behind chicago where they were in their rebuild. If you would like to say its not about the money, Where he repeatedly said "I love Atlanta, and so does my wife" Yet, turned down the biggest contract in the history of the league for a guy who doesnt understand defense. I happen to believe it is about the money for him, Like rhodes said; he played in russia for a month because we offered him 5 years on RFA deal, not 7. And when we gave him 7 he came back a completely different player.

Wait til he costs you guys games, you'll want him out.
With all due respect, the Devils are not the Thrashers. Kovalchuk has never had a legitimate chance to win the Cup, and Atlanta is a franchise that is in an uncertain period with regards to financial stability and the possibility of relocation. New Jersey is a perennial playoff qualifier, is secure financially, and is in no danger of relocating.

For now, it's about winning the Cup this season. Whether we re-sign him or not comes later. If Kovalchuk fits into the team concept (this is still up in the air), and is willing to come back at a reasonable price (also up in the air), the Lou will make every effort to re-sign him. And when Lou really wants to do something, he is usually successful.

I could be wrong, and he could be all about the money. Plenty of people sell out their ideals for the big payday. But Kovalchuk has said repeatedly that he wants to win most of all.

On July 1, we'll see how much of an idealist Kovy is.

Old
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
jeremywilhelm

Medvedev just wants to make sure that the Russians never win a gold medal at the Olympics.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Bill_Crosby

Atlanta should have taken Spezza

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
He can go home and make double what he makes here in the states? He's gone.
I'd go as far as saying he'd be stupid not to go if that's the case to be honest.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote