HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential deal with Florida

Old
02-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
if the rangers are drafting a center then there is no reason for an undersized weiss. id rather frolik but florida wont give him up, and horton would be difficult to trade for but doable. if we're trading dubinsky and girardi then horton is a must, otherwise the rangers will get fleeced.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:27 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I actually think he's being overrated.

Please don't try to sell me on a player by posting a link of a highlight reel goal. Allow me to introduce you to Enver Lisin. A very nice collection of highlight reel goals with Phoenix, but there's a reason they traded him for KORPIKOSKI. Weiss is a nice complimentary player. That is all. He'd be nice to have, but I'm not willing to give up anything of value for him unless we're the ones saving cap space in the long run, which we likely wouldn't be.

I think even trading Girardi for him is a mistake. Why add more salary beyond this year at this point?? Plus, we can get a better deal sprucing up Girardi+ for something else, imo. Only thing I feel safe taking off Florida's hands right now is Seidenberg. Don't want Horton for free with that contract and his attitude + injury. Booth I like as a player but he's a risk at this point at 4+ per for a number of years. It's not a given that he'll return to a 30/30 player after a hefty concussion. Just trade a mid-prospect or a 4th + roster player for Seidenberg and be done with it, please.
Weiss is being UNDERATED. I watch him alot. He's a hell of a player. He can easily put up 60 points a season, and 80 points with Gaborik. And he's on a cheap contract. Girardi, Dubinsky and a prospect would be a steal for Weiss,

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:30 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Why are so many people obsessed with size??!! Marty St.Louis is 5'9. Know who was huge? Hugh Jessiman. Sidney Crosby is 5'11, same as Weiss. Are you telling me hes terrible because he's short? Callahan's 5'11. Avery's 5'9. Gaborik's only 6'. Size does not equal talent. Wayne Gretzky was undersized. He was 6' 180. You're telling me he's not good because of size? It doesn't make any sense.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's had his best seasons as a Ranger.

Regardless, isn't the point made that a player with injuries problems can be healthy?

I guess he's "played" healthy... my point was that his play has been worse since the injury/surgery.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he was a hell of a signing for us after the lockout, anyone who says otherwise is just a plain old hater.

If by after the lockout you mean the two years that followed... yes he was. But the past two years for 5M per... I wouldn't call that a hell of a (re)signing for us.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:53 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I actually think he's being overrated.

Please don't try to sell me on a player by posting a link of a highlight reel goal. Allow me to introduce you to Enver Lisin. A very nice collection of highlight reel goals with Phoenix, but there's a reason they traded him for KORPIKOSKI. Weiss is a nice complimentary player. That is all. He'd be nice to have, but I'm not willing to give up anything of value for him unless we're the ones saving cap space in the long run, which we likely wouldn't be.

I think even trading Girardi for him is a mistake. Why add more salary beyond this year at this point?? Plus, we can get a better deal sprucing up Girardi+ for something else, imo. Only thing I feel safe taking off Florida's hands right now is Seidenberg. Don't want Horton for free with that contract and his attitude + injury. Booth I like as a player but he's a risk at this point at 4+ per for a number of years. It's not a given that he'll return to a 30/30 player after a hefty concussion. Just trade a mid-prospect or a 4th + roster player for Seidenberg and be done with it, please.
Have you even watched Weiss? From the way you describe him as a complimentary player, you clearly haven't. In fact, I'd call Dubinsky more of a complimentary player than Weiss. Weiss is a much better center than Dubinsky and still has his best years ahead of him. Not to mention he's locked into a great contract. Duby for Weiss would be a clear win for us, as well as give us a legit center for Gabby for the next few years.

Weiss is being extremely underrated around here. I live in SW FL. I've see the guy play a lot and he's probably one of the most underrated players in the league.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nobody is saying Weiss is untalented.

And no size isn't everything. As long as the player is strong.

Majority of Weiss's career numbers are not any better then Dubinsky's.

Dubinsky is at 13 goals right now with 20 games to go. He could score 20 goals.

He will be a consistent 20 goal guy.

He's only 23 years old, Weiss is 26.

I feel Dubinsky has a better career ahead of him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
gravytrain6t

This organization hasn't learned a thing from their arch rivals across the Hudson. We're still stuck with the notion that the name on the back of a player's jersey is more important than building any kind of team identity and/or chemistry (However you wish to word it).
And so goes the revolving door of player personnel. What remains is a team stuck in mediocrity.

We've all ready tried all kinds of combination's of star players from other team's (for how many years now? Even "the great one" himself) so we may as well get Weiss and declare Dubinsky's career as over, done, the kid has seen his better day's.

Then if we don't win the Stanley Cup, who can we get next year and try again? Frolov? Then maybe trade Gaborik and sign Kovalchuk!! That could work.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:17 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I don't think there is any indication that Dubinsky will be a consistent 20 goal guy.

That said, I still like Dubinsky despite his inconsistencies. He's a good player, just not great. I like what he brings when he actually does bring it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Thats because its a trade-freeze until after the gold medal game tonight / midnight.What possible updates could we hear other than the actual trade iself?
I would have thought this would have been a great time for GM's to be working the phones and someone scooping the at least a few of those disussions.

Obviously, it's been documented that Glen Sather treated this as a vacation, so I digress and say, touche'.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:59 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
if your florida would u trade a 1b/2nd line center for a 2nd or 3rd pairing dman. an ahl caliber winger and a 2nd rounder?

Well I originally wrote Girardi, Sanguinetti and a 2nd for Weiss but I thought people around here would flip out.

Personally, I think Florida would probably want Grachev and McDonagh for Weiss, or along those lines.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Stay awy from the walking wounded. They NEVER work out to your benefit.
Yeah, that Gaborik sure sucks.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 04:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It makes no sense for the Panthers to trade Weiss, especially for the kind of return the Rangers would give them. There is no one the Rangers would give them that is better than Weiss, and their team has the same problems we do: they can't score. No one we can give them will improve their offense if they lose Weiss in the same deal.

DeBoer = excellent coach, and he has a history with Weiss.

I'd be THRILLED if we could get Weiss or the players we'd realistically move, but I would be very surprised if that happened. Florida isn't exactly the best managed team, but this would be a dumb move on their part.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 04:42 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yeah, that Gaborik sure sucks.
And what if Gaborik's chronic injuries resurface next season? How thrilled will you be that we have 7.5 million committed to him?

Just saying. We already have one injury prone player, probably not a good idea to invest that much of our future in another one.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:23 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Right. And can skate. If you can do that, it is advantageous to have a physical team (extremely). The two teams playing for gold are a great example.

You would figure that it's almost impossible for a team to lose with World Class Skilled players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Semin, Datsyuk, and Radulov. Yet not one of the Eastern European Countries (including Slovakia and the Czech's ) were able to win a medal.

Alphqup I'm sure Weiss is every bit as good as you say he is. I'm not even completely for or against getting him. I'm just getting tired and frustrated when looking at a new New York Rangers team year after year who's players keep changing and the results are status quo.

Especially the top players. Make up your mind Sather! It's hard to feel connected emotionally to your favorite team when guys are always coming in and then leaving.

Look at Calgary. They haven't won a Cup with Iginla and I'm not sure they ever will. But you don't see that franchise trade him away because the team didn't win a Cup. Same with Vancouver who made a commitment to the Sedin's. Chicago with Toews/Kane, NJ - Zajac and Parise, Anaheim -Perry/Getzlaf, San Jose -Marleau/Thorton, Detroit - Zetterberg/Lidstrom/Datsyuk,etc.....

Jeesh Crosby just scored

Old
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

This board has the major hots for Dubinsky and Callahan.
No one is good enough to trade them for.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
So this "potential" deal is supposed to go down at midnight?

02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
gravytrain6t

This would be just as bad a move for the Rangers depending on who they give up. The only trade to me that makes sense is if they were to take one of the 2 big contracts. I wish Drury would waive his NMC but that won't happen (besides. I know. Who would want him?). But Fla. doesn't want our terrible contracts (understandably).

We get Weiss and then what? Stanley Cup? I doubt it. Apparently Fla. is having a problem with Weiss, Horton, and others.

They are having the same problems as us. Inconsistent effort.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spor..._harsh_co.html

If Florida is looking to rebuild, then trading Weiss could make sense. But as a Ranger fan, I'm not willing to give up picks/spects. So Fla. could look else where.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
ohbaby

From what I have seen of Weiss playing against the Rangers,.... He seems to be the best player Florida has! He seems to be a star in the making. Has great speed, and sees the ice very well.

But getting him here seems implausable. Slats would have to give up too much to get him.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I was just going to say the boards has the major hots for Weiss. He is that irresistible?:

Old
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
gravytrain6t

And now people are willing to part with Callahan as well? He's the heart and soul of this team.

Old
02-28-2010, 05:55 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I was just going to say the boards has the major hots for Weiss. He is that irresistible?:
He and Booth I believe,... will be future stars in this game. I can't say the same about Dubi.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I don't think it its about overvalueing your players. I think it's more about why trade guys that comepete hard every night. Especially players that were drated and developed here. They know the system, and the people involved. Dubi and Callahan to me are simply just guys that you need to succeed. Especially here in NY.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikEqualsGod1995 View Post
Weiss is being UNDERATED. I watch him alot. He's a hell of a player. He can easily put up 60 points a season, and 80 points with Gaborik. And he's on a cheap contract. Girardi, Dubinsky and a prospect would be a steal for Weiss,
Please come back and tell me you told me so when Weiss ever puts up 80 points. I don't think it will happen. He's not what this team needs. He'd put up 50-60 points and not be much of a factor elsewhere. Dubinsky has the tools to be a much more complete player and he's already here. Weiss is not what this team needs. When will some of you realize we have enough ALMOSTS. We need a) legit 1st line talent b) physical defenseman c) size - Weiss, while being a very nice player doesn't fill a major need, especially if we're moving Dubinsky... then we're just slightly upgrading point production on paper while adding another million in salary on another player who doesn't make us any closer to a contender?... for what reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Have you even watched Weiss? From the way you describe him as a complimentary player, you clearly haven't. In fact, I'd call Dubinsky more of a complimentary player than Weiss. Weiss is a much better center than Dubinsky and still has his best years ahead of him. Not to mention he's locked into a great contract. Duby for Weiss would be a clear win for us, as well as give us a legit center for Gabby for the next few years.

Weiss is being extremely underrated around here. I live in SW FL. I've see the guy play a lot and he's probably one of the most underrated players in the league.
That's cool. I live in NY... and clearly I watch Weiss more than you or at least understand the game better... You're telling me Stephen Weiss isn't a complimentary player? So... he's a legit 1st line talent? He's the type of guy who is a legit scoring threat on his own? The guy has put up more than 48 points ONE TIME (albeit last season) and is on pace for another 60~ point season... That's not a complimentary player? Legit first line players put up 60 points? Move over, Crosby. Stephen Weiss is in town.... Some people call Marian Hossa (who is a fantastically skilled two-way all-around player) a complimentary player... but no not Stephen Weiss. I'm also really tired of the "if he put up 60 points in FLORIDA, he'll put up 80 EASILY with Gaborik!!" mentality. It does not work like that. This isn't a videogame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikEqualsGod1995 View Post
Why are so many people obsessed with size??!! Marty St.Louis is 5'9. Know who was huge? Hugh Jessiman. Sidney Crosby is 5'11, same as Weiss. Are you telling me hes terrible because he's short? Callahan's 5'11. Avery's 5'9. Gaborik's only 6'. Size does not equal talent. Wayne Gretzky was undersized. He was 6' 180. You're telling me he's not good because of size? It doesn't make any sense.
Are you seriously trying to bring Wayne Gretzky's height into a discussion about whether or not Stephen Weiss is a good fit for the Rangers? Oh..my...god...

I can't believe I'm even going to take the time to explain this to you... but nobody was saying "he's not good because of his size." It's the fact that a) he's not legit 1st line talent, at least not yet proven in any sense of the word... and b) this team has a gigantic need for SIZE... we're one of the softest, smallest teams up front, yet you think trading Dubinsky for Weiss is somehow a steal and makes us a harder team to play against... oh but he scored that awesome highlight reel goal... I'm done.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I don't think it its about overvalueing your players. I think it's more about why trade guys that comepete hard every night. Especially players that were drated and developed here. They know the system, and the people involved. Dubi and Callahan to me are simply just guys that you need to succeed. Especially here in NY.
Exactly. Furthermore, so many posters seem to undervalue the negative effect of having such a gross overturn every season. We can't keep shuffling the entire roster around from year to year. Build a core. Grow the core. Add the right key pieces when it makes sense. But of course everyone gets a hard-on when anyone who scored 20 goals once in their career is mentioned in a rumor.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote