HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Do you want NHLers in the Olympics in 2014?

View Poll Results: Do you want NHLers in the Olympics in 2014?
Yes 238 92.25%
No 20 7.75%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
In The Flesh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezia View Post
Sorry, but I'd rather see a team with Toews as a 13th forward than Andrew Peters.
go back and watch the 03, 04, 05 finals

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
NO. We have the World Cup for the pros not in the POs.

This 2 wk break is a joke. Now it's TWO days from the trade deadline, we haven't played a game in 2 wks, ROFL!

Teams are fighting for the POs; for the Cup. NHL teams come first and foremost, it should be their focus from year round. Guy's not in the NHL can go play for their country. I've hated pros in the Olympics from the beginning.
Agreed with all that. Plus we keep forgetting about Sochi's 10 hour time difference from ET.

Let's also revisit this in the next 6 to 8 weeks to see if there's a Gold/Silver medal letdown. To achieve a lifelong dream, then start on another road to a lifelong dream with 2 days to rest. It might be very difficult to get it going again.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Torts

if they dont send nhl'ers to 2014
russia will kill us all for gold medal

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks88 View Post
No, let amateurs play it.
So no Shawn White either?

No Bode Miller?

Things have changed...adapt..

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Sad Panda

Of course. The 2010 games had fantastic hockey. If the 2014 games were in North America they'd already be set to go. Bettman and the owners are idiots.

I want to see the best each sport can offer.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:09 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Agreed with all that. Plus we keep forgetting about Sochi's 10 hour time difference from ET.

Let's also revisit this in the next 6 to 8 weeks to see if there's a Gold/Silver medal letdown. To achieve a lifelong dream, then start on another road to a lifelong dream with 2 days to rest. It might be very difficult to get it going again.
yea, Ryan Miller can't go back to Buff and skip a week to rest, Buff has to ride him all the way to the finals if they're going to get there. Those were probably the most intense games of his life, extremely exausting mentally, but now he's back in Buff chasing Home Ice. It's not fair to the Sabres and their fans.

Same **** happened in 06 for us Rangers fans. Lundqvist won the Gold, came back and was tired as ****, Jagr too, who was injured that Olympics. Forget this crap. Lets the kids at Wisconsin and Boston College play.

Old
02-28-2010, 08:11 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
yea, Ryan Miller can't go back to Buff and skip a week to rest, Buff has to ride him all the way to the finals if they're going to get there. Those were probably the most intense games of his life, extremely exausting mentally, but now he's back in Buff chasing Home Ice. It's not fair to the Sabres and their fans.

Same **** happened in 06 for us Rangers fans. Lundqvist won the Gold, came back and was tired as ****, Jagr too, who was injured that Olympics. Forget this crap. Lets the kids at Wisconsin and Boston College play.
haha yeah let Stepan and Kreider play next Olympics with the rest of the pros!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:14 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
haha yeah let Stepan and Kreider play next Olympics with the rest of the pros!
what pros? guy's from the KHL and SEL, okay....lol

Old
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Sentinel

Your country is more important than your town, get it through your skull!

I want a rematch in Sochi!!

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:19 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Yes. Definitely yes.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

Lundqvist had an issue for most of the season that got worse towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. He had migrane problems because of his vision, or something along those lines. It wasn't because he was tired.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
After today, I don't know how you can say no.
Olympic hockey doesn't pay, train, or develop these players; the National Hockey League does. Every time an NHLer plays in the olympics, his team risks a multi-million dollar asset, irreplaceable cap space, and often a key marketing tool. And for what?

This is a simple cost benefit analysis. Take the cost of an injury, multiply it by the risk of that injury, and compare the result to the benefit of new fans from the Olympics multiplied by their number. And by new fans I don't mean people who watched the Olympics or expressed interest. I mean people who will spend money to put their butts in seats in NHL arenas, or at least tune into NHL games semi-regularly. I would be shocked if the equation worked out for the NHL. More likely, Olympic participation is a gross mismanagement of their assets.

That's aside from Bettman's stated concerns about momentum and scheduling and whatnot, which are not as big a deal in my mind.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Olympic hockey doesn't pay, train, or develop these players; the National Hockey League does. Every time an NHLer plays in the olympics, his team risks a multi-million dollar asset, irreplaceable cap space, and often a key marketing tool. And for what?

This is a simple cost benefit analysis. Take the cost of an injury, multiply it by the risk of that injury, and compare the result to the benefit of new fans from the Olympics multiplied by their number. And by new fans I don't mean people who watched the Olympics or expressed interest. I mean people who will spend money to put their butts in seats in NHL arenas, or at least tune into NHL games semi-regularly. I would be shocked if the equation worked out for the NHL. More likely, Olympic participation is a gross mismanagement of their assets.

That's aside from Bettman's stated concerns about momentum and scheduling and whatnot, which are not as big a deal in my mind.
Country?

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Country?
We're talking about the NHL here.

Old
02-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Unstable

It's a fine argument for Bettman. It's quite logical that when people who play IN NORTH AMERICA are featured IN NORTH AMERICA it will lead to better marketing IN NORTH AMERICA for a professional league based IN NORTH AMERICA.

See a pattern?

I'm not saying that I like Vancouver more than Sochi, just that it is a different equation for the NHL.

Last edited by Majik1987: 02-28-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
02-28-2010, 08:51 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

Yes!

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:55 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
go back and watch the 03, 04, 05 finals
Boring, boring and there were none that year.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
blue425

Quote:

Quote:

'
Agree with both of you. I too have never been a fan of stopping the season.

However move hockey to the summer games. Problem solved.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Jeff Babchuk

Quote:
It's a fine argument for Bettman. It's quite logical that when people who play IN NORTH AMERICA are featured IN NORTH AMERICA it will lead to better marketing IN NORTH AMERICA for a professional league based IN NORTH AMERICA.

See a pattern?

I'm not saying that I like Vancouver more than Sochi, just that it is a different equation for the NHL.

Well, not all NHL players are from NORTH AMERICA, professor.
I don't give a flying freak about Bettman and his arguments, all about dollars.
I care about hockey.
I wanna see an Olympic tournament with all the best, playing and giving their all for their nation.
No club team can ever compete with that.

Jeff Babchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▀████╱█████▀

vCash: 70
Yep Yep

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
oreilly22

I guess you could record the games if you wanted to, but only previously converted hockey fans will do that. In order for the NHL to grow, hockey has to be covered well by the American media. If it isn't played closer to home, then the majority of Americans aren't going to hear about it. Hockey isn't everything, most will turn to more convenient entertainment.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Badger36

Yes and we need the NHLers in the olympics for it to be a viable olympic sport.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Vladiator

Quote:
what pros? guy's from the KHL and SEL, okay....lol
Please explain...

Vladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craah View Post
Well, not all NHL players are from NORTH AMERICA, professor.
I don't give a flying freak about Bettman and his arguments, all about dollars.
I care about hockey.
I wanna see an Olympic tournament with all the best, playing and giving their all for their nation.
No club team can ever compete with that.
And European players do have fanbases back home, but those fans don't contribute significantly to NHL revenue.

And what's so great about playing for your country anyway? Sure. you're from your country and you live under its flag and laws, but your town or local club team is who you grow up with and cheer day after day. In general, town is a much bigger part of daily life than country.

As for the best hockey, I think it's clear that the Stanley Cup playoffs still hold that title. The gold medal game was great tonight, but Canada's 8-0 thumping of Norway was a snoozefest. So I'm not exactly convinced that NHL participation is essential to competitive Olympic play. If you want to see the best play against the best night after night, your local NHL team is your best bet.

The dollars and cents argument is the rationale for why the NHL should not participate, but also a rationale for fans to support non-participation. Any mismanagement of NHL assets - a league that we know sometimes struggles compared to similarly positioned major league sports organizations - endangers that product.

Old
02-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks88 View Post
No, let amateurs play it.
I'll never, ever buy into this. Professional or amateur, you should have the right to represent and play for your country. The fact that someone pays you to do what your doing shouldn't change anything.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote