HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
One play doesn't a tournament make.
It most certainly can.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:31 PM
The Moose

Ovy vs Crosby is not Canada vs Russia or Penguins vs Capitals. So far, Canada is way better than Russia and Pens are better than Caps. By all individual statistics, Ovy is slightly better than Syd. Considering how incredibly great both are, holding a great love for one while hating the other is a bit insane.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Just imagine if Crosby hasn't potted that one in....

I can't even imagine the possibilities. We might have been sitting here lamenting a gold medal loss. That was and is the biggest goal of his career. Also, the biggest goal in recent Canadian history!!!

Give the guy a break.

I LOVE YOU SIDNEY, all the way from Toronto!

LeeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Ovy vs Crosby is not Canada vs Russia or Penguins vs Capitals. So far, Canada is way better than Russia and Pens are better than Caps. By all individual statistics, Ovy is slightly better than Syd. Considering how incredibly great both are, holding a great love for one while hating the other is a bit insane.
It's unfortunate that many posters suffer from this.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
LeafsAlive2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoHo View Post
It's amazing that at the age of 22, he has a Stanley Cup, an Olympic GOLD medal, a World Junior GOLD medal, and various NHL trophies...AMAZING!
???

What various NHL trophies? One Art Ross and One Hart?

LeafsAlive2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It most certainly can.

It wasn't one play anyway, he had a solid tournament, and scored the biggest goal for his country.

Just bitter fans trying to prove otherwise.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Bet your ass it does.

This doesn't mean he didnt have a very good tourney other than the game winning goal in the biggest game of the last 4 years either because he did. He was absolutely rock solid defensively and setup his linemates so many times you cant even count them.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:36 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

I do love both and wish that some photoshop-savy poster would make me a Ovy-Crosby avatar!

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Considering that one play resulted in the gold medal, I'd say it does. It's not like he scored some random goal in a 9-1 win that had zero effect on the outcome.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
SC2008

Didn't want to start a new thread, but whoever choose the 2006 Torino team must feel like an idiot for not having Crosby on that roster.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Chiquito

Quote:
Paul Henderson became a legend with one goal. No disrespect to Paul Henderson but he is no Sidney Crosby. How many goals did Paul Henderson score in the 72 summit? I doubt many know without looking up the stats. What they do know is that he scored the winning goal. Mario Lemieux scored the winning goal in the 87 Canada Cup. No one remembers or care how many goals he scored otherwise. Crosby's golden goal will be shown a million times if it is shown once. It was a dramatic and dynamic way to finish the game. 30 years from now people will not care if he had four or 10 goals at the olympics they will know he won Canada the gold in overtime with a golden goal. The only thing that is important in elite sports is winning. Crosby teams win.

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It most certainly can.
It shouldn't.

Just like Fleury's gaff in the World Juniors shouldn't have made his performance in that tournament, nor other plays like that.

Crosby was solid, but is going to be considered a legend simply because he scored that goal. That shouldn't be the case.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
So true.

He is the leader of his teams, at the ridiculously young age of 22. And his teams win, famously. That is how peers judge greatness, even if a few here still don't get it.

You play this game to win, period. This guy is a winner (and an extremely modest winner ), the likes of which this long-time hockey observer has rarely seen. Others can have the ESPN nightly highlights, the pithy quotes, the individual points crowns.

Crosby's teams win games, Cups and tournaments. No coincidence.

Color me impressed.

(How can't one be?)
I totally agree. Crosby is a winner. This does not mean I think Ovechkin can not win. Nor does it mean that I think Crosby is the greatest player that laced on skates. But Crosby has two straight NHL finals and a gold medal. And despite any post-series analysis he was the focal point of both the Wings in both series and the USA in the Olympics and his teams won. (at least in the second Cup finals).

You know what? He is not A LOT better than everyone else. Like Gretzky and Mario were. But he is a little bit better than everyone. And he proved it in scoring the winning goal (and setting it up). Crosby is great. He is the best of the era along with Ovechkin. I am sure eventually, maybe even this year the Caps might go to the final. AO is great. He is a winner. He has not totally shown it yet but I feel and think he is a gamer, a winner for all-time. It will happen. Crosby has already done it.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive2010 View Post
???

And the Pearson.

02-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I'm unsure if anyone has posted this yet, but here is what Iginla had to say about Crosby tonight....

Quote:
"It's so fitting," said Jarome Iginla, the gentleman elder statesman of Team Canada who set up Crosby's winner. "It's funny. There's so much pressure on him. I mean, we win a semifinal game and we're into the finals and all people are asking is: 'But what about Sid? What about Sid?'

"You know, he's playing well. He's playing hard. He's getting lots of chances. They're always trying to shut him down. That's the first guy they think about. And he just keeps going. He just keeps playing hard. He just keeps battling.

"He had a great tournament and people aren't satisfied unless he gets two or three goals a game. And it never fazes him. It's all about the team and he just goes about his way. It is awesome to see him finish it."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=519359

I'll take his word over the message board haters.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

It's pretty rich that many of the people coming down on Crosby's Olympic performance are Ovechkin fans considering the performance their guy gave. I love the HF mentality:

Crosby = Average tournament, team wins gold medal after he scores the winner.
Ovechkin = Below average tournament, team goes out in the quarterfinals to Crosby's team.

Based on this data, it's time to bash Crosby and question his Olympic performance!

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I think the distinction need to be made that Ovechkin is slightly better OFFENSIVELY than Sid (currently, not every season).

Sid plays the entire game and happens to be a winner. Two things you can't really give to Ovechkin.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
It shouldn't.

Just like Fleury's gaff in the World Juniors shouldn't have made his performance in that tournament, nor other plays like that.

Crosby was solid, but is going to be considered a legend simply because he scored that goal. That shouldn't be the case.
No, he is a legend because he was won every meaningful trophy and tournament by the age of 22.

Old
02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
Paul Henderson became a legend with one goal. No disrespect to Paul Henderson but he is no Sidney Crosby. How many goals did Paul Henderson score in the 72 summit? I doubt many know without looking up the stats. What they do know is that he scored the winning goal. Mario Lemieux scored the winning goal in the 87 Canada Cup. No one remembers or care how many goals he scored otherwise. Crosby's golden goal will be shown a million times if it is shown once. It was a dramatic and dynamic way to finish the game. 30 years from now people will not care if he had four or 10 goals at the olympics they will know he won Canada the gold in overtime with a golden goal. The only thing that is important in elite sports is winning. Crosby teams win.
Yes Crosby will ALWAYS be remembered for this in Canada. And deservedly so!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:43 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I'm unsure if anyone has posted this yet, but here is what Iginla had to say about Crosby tonight....

As would any logical person.

Old
02-28-2010, 10:44 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

I enjoyed reading that. Thanks

Old
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
It shouldn't.

hey Doc, Trust me, he is ALREADY a legend for scoring that goal and deservedly so!

Old
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTBoonies View Post
As a Crosby fan, I must admit ... Paul Henderson scored the GWG goals in games 6, 7, and 8 of the 1972 series. Myself, I would put Crosby's goal 2nd behind Henderson's goal in 1972 but just ahead of Lemieux's goal in 1987.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive2010 View Post
???

I guess being the youngest to achieve pretty much every milestone, mixed with the art ross, lester B and hart arent very good?

get over it, world Jr, stanley cup and olympic gold

he wins awards for his team , not for him

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
No, he is a legend because he was won every meaningful trophy and tournament by the age of 22.
That isn't what we are talking about.

Crosby is a great player, but he will be possibly forever considered the savior of Canada for that goal. He was a vital piece of that puzzle, but he wasn't the only one to have a solid tournament on that team.

I would rather people look at the trophies he has won, the fact he captained a young team to a Stanley Cup (against arguably the best team of the past two decades), the fact he is lined up to be hacked and whacked by the other team's best defensive players, and the things he does on the ice instead of this one goal.

That's my point. The fans are fickle, and will get on Crosby for not getting 3 goals a game, but will turn around and consider him the most clutch athlete to play when he scores an overtime winner the next.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote