HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Crosby's Olympic performance

Old
03-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Delta Cubes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsfan View Post
I concede. Just a tough loss and I guess I'm bitter. I am sick of hearing about Crosby, but there's no question he's a top notch player and it was an amazing game.
I agree to an extent about hearing about Crosby. An everyday person makes it seem like Crosby was Canada's saviour and he carried this team to victory. He had a nice OT winner, but he did not have a spectacular tournament. I've said it a million and one times already, Jonathan Toews has got to be one of the most underrated players in this tournament.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:10 AM
capitalsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardj View Post
Well, dont you think its kind of logical for the NHL and the hockey world to promote one of its best players ? I mean its like blaming the NFL for all the fuss about Manning and Brees last month. Or the soccer world for all the hype surrounding Messi or Ronaldo.
In any popular modern sport, you'll hear a lot lot more about the n1 star than about the 3rd stringer. Sad but that's the way things are.
They picked Sid cause he's more marketable. There's a whole case study on it. Ovie's a russian with a busted grill on a team that's not already a dynasty. I admit, I have been quite pleased as of late as Ovie's been stealing the spotlight a bit in the hockey commercials.

capitalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:14 AM
TheSniper26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBradleyKO View Post
I suppose you missed it last week?
There was a thread of thirty some odd pages downplaying pretty much everything Ovechkin has accomplished and acting as though he's not one of the top players in the league? Because that sort of stuff is actually going on in this thread regarding Crosby. I honestly didn't see anything like that about Ovechkin but I haven't been around here much lately so I'll take your word for it.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:18 AM
MattBradleyKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
There was a thread of thirty some odd pages downplaying pretty much everything Ovechkin has accomplished and acting as though he's not one of the top players in the league? Because that sort of stuff is actually going on in this thread regarding Crosby. I honestly didn't see anything like that about Ovechkin but I haven't been around here much lately so I'll take your word for it.
well...yes

MattBradleyKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Nardj

Quote:
They picked Sid cause he's more marketable. There's a whole case study on it. Ovie's a russian with a busted grill on a team that's not already a dynasty. I admit, I have been quite pleased as of late as Ovie's been stealing the spotlight a bit in the hockey commercials.
Of course they picked Sid. Anything else would have been dumb from a commercial and strategic POV. The kid is good looking, smart, gifted and from North America. And now he's won a Stanley Cup and a gold medal. I dont think the Crosbymania is going to fade anytime soon.

Nardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:27 AM
TheSniper26

Quote:
well...yes
Right. I'm sure it was just scathing. If you honestly think that things are even close to being even-handed regarding Ovechkin/Crosby on here, then you aren't even trying to be objective.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:31 AM
VMBM

Crosby did not have a great tournament, but he didn't need to. And when people look back at these Olympics, they will see he put up decent numbers plus [more importantly] he scored the 'Gold Winning Goal' - not too bad.

Maybe in 2014 he will dominate (if he'll play there).

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:26 AM
BlackAces*

Quote:
LOL. "Babcock can tell you why Crosby didn't do a damn thing in the finals".

Oh sorry brother, I meant 2 WHOLE POINTS!
Your meltdown is beyond hilarity. I would advise you to stop posting and quit embarassing yourself, but it is too funny.

Keep up the good work!

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
torero

I felt that Crosby didn't show up as the best player in the world (ex aequo with Ovechkin) during the games. He played decently but not so much above the others.

Something i believe Crosby has is the sens of leadership and the sense of responsibility as a leader.

He shot Canada into the Gold medal and he also, decided to shoot again vs Hiller when Canada was tied with the Swiss. First i do not think that it is randomly that in both cases it is Crosby.

HE STEPS UP WHEN HIS TEAM NEEDS IT AND TAKES THE RESPONSIBILITIES !!

RESPECT

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Wow this is funny. 22 year old kid scores the gamewinning OT in the gold medal game and all people (and caps fans) can focus on is how he isn't "that good."

Does anybody ever wonder why winning seem to follow Sidney Crosby around?

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
Does anybody ever wonder why winning seem to follow Sidney Crosby around?
Because he is lucky and gets on good teams then gets lucky and scores big goals. He's so lucky.

Haven't you been paying attention?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:13 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 50
Crosby Golden gold

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
I agree to an extent about hearing about Crosby. An everyday person makes it seem like Crosby was Canada's saviour and he carried this team to victory. He had a nice OT winner, but he did not have a spectacular tournament. I've said it a million and one times already, Jonathan Toews has got to be one of the most underrated players in this tournament.
Please... this is more hater BS that has no facts to back it up.

Toews got pimped plenty by the media and Babcock kept singling him out for praise in every interview.

He was so underrated and overshadowed by Crosby, that he got voted fwd of the tournament.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzan View Post
Crosby Golden gold
I guess Sid really is the Golden Boy.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Seguins Dragon*

I thought Sid had a decent tournament...

I found he would stick out on the ice, no question. Great hussle, board work, passing, did all the little stuff right, but he wasn't putting as many points as one would have expected....

But he made up for it by getting the most important point\goal... the golden one

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:34 AM
cassius

He skated well and has a nice pass, but honestly I don't know how anyone could say Crosby had a good olympic tournament.

Classless

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
Sidney Crosby
This

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Nordic*

Crosby was average, but since he scored the winning goal he'll be remembered as having a super tournament - that's how it works.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Crosby was average, but since he scored the winning goal he'll be remembered as having a super tournament - that's how it works.
BINGO.

Drew Doughty was Canada's MVP by a mile. I'd even put Jonathan Toews and Jarome Iginla ahead of Crosby in this tournament. Crosby got the all important goal and now we hear how he took team Canada on his back. Yet we fail to remember the guy went 180 minutes without registering 1 point.

I would have perferred anyone else on Canada get the goal outside of Crosby and Pronger (I just don't like Pronger, that's why I added him).

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think if you look back at prior threads, the consensus opinion on Crosby is that his work ethic was good but his execution was off.

I criticized his penchant for looking for the perfect pass as opposed to just firing it on net.

Funny how things work out.

He needed to be more selfish, but as the youngest player playing with a couple of snipers, I'm thinking he saw his role as a playmaker and that made the line easier to shut down because they were more predictable.

Really great lines (the CASH line of Alfie-Spezza-Heatley is most recognizable to me personally) keep their opponents guessing (including the goalie) because all three of the players are equally liable to shoot or pass.

I wonder if Miller didn't expect the shot from Crosby because he certainly didn't seem to shoot all that often in the tournament.

Maybe that was his plan all along.

A good performance is comprised of:

(a) effort; and
(b) execution.

Some guys had both (i.e. Toews), some guys had one or the other (i.e. Crosby) and some guys had neither (i.e. Thornton).

I liked Crosby's game for the most part throughout the tournament, and interestingly, it seemed as if the entire country thought it was Crosby's time in the OT. I know everyone I was with during the intermission was saying, "Time for Crosby to step up."

For him to do so, at that critical moment, is pretty amazing.

And I don't really like Crosby all that much. As a Sens fan, I've seen enough of him in the playoffs for awhile.

But I can give credit where it's due.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Not exactly. Like all other great goals in Team Canada's history, he will be remembered for having the defining moment in a Team Canada victory, which is different from being remembered for having a great tournament.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

4 goals and 3 assists is pretty good, IMO. The guy showed up when it mattered the most. Even though I hate his guts, he scored the winning goal.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:43 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Not exactly. Like all other great goals in Team Canada's history, he will be remembered for having the defining moment in a Team Canada victory, which is different from being remembered for having a great tournament.
agreed. I don't remember if iginla had a great tournament in 02 but i remember his game against the americans and thats all that matters to me.

crosby will be remembered for that goal.. not that tournament...

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
agreed. I don't remember if iginla had a great tournament in 02 but i remember his game against the americans and thats all that matters to me.

crosby will be remembered for that goal.. not that tournament...
Up until the final, we were riding Lemieux/Yzerman/Kariya pretty hard.

In the final, it was Iginla/Sakic/Gagne.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Palooka*

Quote:
I don't give "The Cup" as much credit as most on these forums. Winnings great, but there's more to the argument. It's just convenient for Crosby supporters to forget that. Ask the NHL d-men who'd they rather have to deal with.
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

It is such a coincidence that teams Sid plays for do, and the teams that Ovie plays for don't. But that's just my opinion. I'm starting to think if Crosby started to do more back flips and monkey jumps into the glass, he'd get more respect from the clueless HF posters, but alas, all he does is win.

As for your "ask the D-Men who they'd rather have to deal with," back in the day, Jagr said that Hal Gill was the toughest D-Man he had to face, yet I'm prettaaaaay sure, that no one would even rank Hal Gill as top defenseman in any way, shape, or form.

Repeat:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME... YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

Palooka* is offline   Reply With Quote