HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think there would be any takers for Spacek?

Old
02-28-2010, 06:38 PM
jcpenny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That's where IMO you are wrong, it's not like he doesn't have bad veterans to help him on the left side and mentor him, he'd be playing with either Markov or Hammer. What happened against Philly IMO will be a recurring theme. Subban starting the game on the bottom pairing and ending the game playing mostly with one of the team's two best LD. The transition he brings is way too important to today's game to ignore. Things went well when we had Streit playing the right side. He was bad defensively on the right side, but we had one hell of a transition game. Same thing here applies, yet Subban has already shown more consistency in his defensive play because it is his natural side. That's why I don't see it as far away as you. The Habs have OB as the only right handed D. Mara, Spacek and Gorges are all playing on their unatural side. Subban brings that much needed balance that it will become inevitable, and pretty soon, if he does indeed get called back.
True and i couldnt agree more. People dont understand that PK isnt your everyday good prospect. Many take example on previous prospects like Latendresse and Price to say raise their conclusions which is understandable but wrong. Mistakes made in the past doesnt apply to everybody. Thats why you treat every player differently because nobody is the same. Pk is not only an elite skilled player but his also elite person. PK is probably stronger mentally and is more skilled than all of our defensive core. That alone is enough to show you that you can play him in the NHL right now and even play him big minutes like Martin did in his first 2 games. Oh and ill make a bold prediction here, he will be considered or even make the next team Canada. Thats how great this guy will be.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Corey

It seems that some posters have lost interest in Spacek and are branching off into speculating when Subban will be inducted into the HOF. I'll return to the Spacek topic: If he isn't traded before the deadline he won't be traded during the summer because he'd be 1) old and 2) scarcely affordable. He's also too expensive to buy out, so I'd say Spacek will be around for awhile.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:10 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
It seems that some posters have lost interest in Spacek and are branching off into speculating when Subban will be inducted into the HOF. I'll return to the Spacek topic: If he isn't traded before the deadline he won't be traded during the summer because he'd be 1) old and 2) scarcely affordable. He's also too expensive to buy out, so I'd say Spacek will be around for awhile.
Hes easily the worst signing of the summer. Money wise, age wise and skill wise. I cant see who would want him unless we trade him for the same type of player.

Old
03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Honestly, I don't think I can take another 2 seasons of this guy. If a team comes calling for him, I say we let him go. It'll save some cap room for this summer. I believe he's scheduled to make 7million over the next 2 seasons.

Some my disagree, but I think he has been terrible. He's had a few solid games, but other than that I think he's been awful. Watching him play the point on the PP is hilarious.

For the rest of the season, we can go with:

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-O'Byrne
Gill-Mara

Or, we can trade for a cheap d-man rental to take Spacek's place for the rest of this season if Martin isn't satisfied with Mara in the top 6. We have some prospects like D'Agostini or even Maxwell that could possibly be had for a top 6 defenseman.

Then, Subban will be ready to replace Spacek next season.

I think if we have the chance to get rid of his contract, we should do it.
Once again, much like Gomez, people get too wrapped up in the "cap hit" and forget about players contributions. Spacek hasn't been great, but he's been far from awful, him and Hamrlik have played vs top lines all year with Markov hurt and they have done a good job. I'm a bit disapointed with his offensive production, but he is still an asset to the team.

PLUS, IF the Habs were looking to dump salary, they would do it in the off season, not in the middle of a playoff race.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Hes easily the worst signing of the summer. Money wise, age wise and skill wise.
And yet, if the Habs hadn't signed him, they'd be counting their lottery balls right now.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
donwoogie

you guys all hate on spacek but he is our best defenceman in plus minus at +5, and if he would hit the net with more regularity no one woud be complaining. He should be playing on the left side and he just doesn't look comfortable on the right you see it in his skating and the way he turns to the boards. He is like zoolander he just cant turn right. Anyway I was actually excited when Gainey signed him, I can remember him scoring some real lasers on us during his time in buffalo and I thought he would bring us something we were missing, I personally haven't thrown in the towel on spacho and I think if we make the playoffs he will chip in with some timely offence and all will be forgiven.

donwoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwoogie View Post
you guys all hate on spacek but he is our best defenceman in plus minus at +5, and if he would hit the net with more regularity no one woud be complaining. He should be playing on the left side and he just doesn't look comfortable on the right you see it in his skating and the way he turns to the boards. He is like zoolander he just cant turn right. Anyway I was actually excited when Gainey signed him, I can remember him scoring some real lasers on us during his time in buffalo and I thought he would bring us something we were missing, I personally haven't thrown in the towel on spacho and I think if we make the playoffs he will chip in with some timely offence and all will be forgiven.
No we don't all hate Spacek, but I can tell I hate Zoolander. (Seriously that's an horrid comparison to do.) The problem here is that we'll need cap space this summer and Spacek is just too similar to all our other Dmen. If I have to choose between Hamrlik & Spacek I keep Hamrlik and that's the bottom line.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
And yet, if the Habs hadn't signed him, they'd be counting their lottery balls right now.
So you're saying that Spacek is the reason why we're still in the playoff hunt? Markov's comeback saved the season for now and Hamrlik is the one who made him look good all season long. Spacek isnt useless but hes certainly not worth the money especially given his age. Plus, we have 2 more years of him declining...

Old
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You know what,

this is the post of the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
So you're saying that Spacek is the reason why we're still in the playoff hunt? Markov's comeback saved the season for now and Hamrlik is the one who made him look good all season long. Spacek isnt useless but hes certainly not worth the money especially given his age. Plus, we have 2 more years of him declining...
Yes, Spacek is the reason we are still in the hunt, no Markov's return didn't save the season, and Spacek looked bad all on his own at the start of the year (Hamrlik didn't help him one bit when they were playing together) but he's well since been playing a lot better and barring a few glaring mistakes here and there because he's been paired against the top lines almost all season at his age, he's been extremely useful to us. He IS worth the money, at least for this season, look at the other contracts around the league, we signed him as a free agent remember? 2 more years might not be as bad considering that he's still adequate in a #2-#3 role for a limited time as a fill in (albeit not spectacular). Do you see him falling off the face of the NHL in the 2 following years? I guarantee you he won't.

Last edited by Next Best Thing*: 03-01-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:29 PM
RE-HABS

If Montreal wants money available to sign Pleks they better hope they can find a home for Spacek or Hamrlik.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
PrOuLx

No trade clause for Spacek

PrOuLx is offline   Reply With Quote