HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

HFNHL Oilers Olympic Representitives

Old
01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Canuck09

vCash: 500
HFNHL Oilers Olympic Representitives

While we failed to land anyone on our native Team Canada the Oilers will be well represented at the Olympics next month.

Team USA
Paul Stastny
Dustin Brown
Ryan Malone

Team Czech Republic
Pavel Kubina
Martin Havlat

Team Sweden
Jonas Gustavsson

Team Russia
Evgeni Nabokov

Team Finland
Sami Lepisto

Team Norway
OK Tollefsen

Missing the cut...

Ales Hemsky would have been a lock for Team Czech Republic if he wasn't injured.

Ryan Smyth (aka Captain Canada) was making a very strong case to make Team Canada before his injury.

TJ Oshie and Paul Gaustad were both mentioned as possible Team USA players.

Updates with results and such will follow as available...

Canuck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Tampa GM

For Tampa Bay

Pavol Demitra Slovakia

Daniel Sedin Sweden
Tobias Enström Sweden
Patric Hörnqvist Sweden

Bobby Ryan USA

Antero Niittymaki Finland
Janne Niskala Finland

Patrick Thoresen Norway

Tampa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Fooladelfia

Send a message via MSN to Fooladelfia
For Flyers

Jaroslav Halak Slovakia
Anton Volchenkov Russia
Fredrik Modin Sweden

Jimmy Howard should be with Team USA.

Fooladelfia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Canuck09

Hopefully it's OK if I steal my thread back with some Olympic updates .

First of all, there is slight update to my Olympic representitives after my recent trade. Dustin Brown is no longer representing the Oilers, he's been replaced by fellow Team USA player Ryan Suter...who has been named Assistant Captain.

Team USA 3-1 win vs Swiss (I was lucky enough to attend this game. It had a completely different atmosphere than a Canucks game, very fun, even though I had no real rooting interest aside from my HFNHL players)
Paul Stastny - Played on the top line with Parise and Kane, 2nd in ice time among forwards with 16:29 but pretty quiet out there I thought. The line generated some pressure and a few chances but didn't put up any points.
Ryan Suter - Played on the top pairing with Rafalski mostly though saw ice time with several other D partners, 2nd in ice time among defensemen with 19:03. Played a very strong game and created some chances on the PP with his shot from the point, picked up an assist when Ryan Malone jammed in a rebound in the 2nd period.
Ryan Malone - Used his size and strength fairly well I thought. Showed off more chest than any other player on the ice as well thanks to the lack of an undershirt and low cut neck line on the USA jerseys. Scored an ugly PP goal in front of the net off a Ryan Suter point shot.

Team Russia 8-2 win vs Latvia
Evgeni Nabokov - I didn't get to watch any of this game as I was on my way home from a 10 hour day walking around Vancouver, got home and passed out. 18 saves on 20 shots, picked up the win, good enough for me.

Team Norway 0-8 loss vs Canada
OK Tollefsen - Apparently hasn't arrived in Vancouver yet due to a family issue. At least he was saved from the beating.

Last edited by Canuck09: 02-17-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck09 View Post
Hopefully it's OK if I steal my thread back with some Olympic updates .
Sure thing, as long as it's ok that people continue to steal it for their own.

Quote:
Team USA 3-1 win vs Swiss (I was lucky enough to attend this game. It had a completely different atmosphere than a Canucks game, very fun, even though I had no real rooting interest aside from my HFNHL players)
Very cool to get your on-the-ground updates from this game, and from the city in general. Sounds like an amazing (if traffic-congested) time to be in Canada's most beautiful city. By all accounts, you guys are putting on a great event, conditions at Cypress notwithstanding (and while that was a calculated risk, this winter has been unpredictably, freakishly warm, so it's just bad luck).

Quote:
Ryan Malone - Used his size and strength fairly well I thought. Showed off more chest than any other player on the ice as well thanks to the lack of an undershirt and low cut neck line on the USA jerseys. Scored an ugly PP goal in front of the net off a Ryan Suter point shot.
I think Malone is very important to this team. With all the long-established US Olympians (Weight, Guerin, Roenick, Roslton, etc.) at home watching on TV, Malone's veteran presence should be a steadying influence. And on a team with a ton of speed and skill, but not as much snarl up front, Malone's physical presence will be very important as well. The US has an outside shot at stealing a medal in these games (often it's the underdog who comes away with the bronze against the team that failed to reach the final), and of course Miller will have the most to say about that, but Malone's role will be important too. I can't wait for Sunday's US/Canada game!

Quote:
Team Russia 8-2 win vs Latvia
Evgeni Nabokov - I didn't get to watch any of this game as I was on my way home from a 10 hour day walking around Vancouver, got home and passed out. 18 saves on 20 shots, picked up the win, good enough for me.
Nabokov and Bryzgalov are going to get a lot more work than any of the goalies from Sweden, Canada or the US, because of the significantly weaker blueline in front of them. But the scoring prowess of the forwards means they'll be able to look forward to giving up two, three, four goals a night and still winning by a healthy margin. I think Russia's the most vulnerable of the big three, but also the most frightening.

God, I love the Olympics!

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Columbus Blue Jackets at the 2010 Olympic Games

A short list for Columbus, due to the team's overall reliance on role-players over elite talent.

CZECH
D Marek Zidlicky

CANADA
Head Coach Mike Babcock

FINLAND
C Olli Jokinen
W Jere Lehtinen
(C Saku Koivu was just traded to Montreal)

RUSSIA
G Semyon Varlamov
C Viktor Kozlov

Of course, I could could a great team together from my teams over the last 10 years, but that would be cheating.

Old
02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Canuck09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Very cool to get your on-the-ground updates from this game, and from the city in general. Sounds like an amazing (if traffic-congested) time to be in Canada's most beautiful city. By all accounts, you guys are putting on a great event, conditions at Cypress notwithstanding (and while that was a calculated risk, this winter has been unpredictably, freakishly warm, so it's just bad luck).
Yesterday was my first trip Downtown since the Olympics started. I actually live in Langley so I'm 45 mins east of Vancouver and not much has changed in my neck of the woods.

Vehicle traffic heading into Vancouver is actually a fraction of what it usually is. Lots of locals have either left town to avoid the chaos, are working from home or have taken the time off work. The people silly enough to try and drive in the Downtown core deserve to be stuck in traffic all day. We (the g/f and I) drove to Burnaby, over the Port Mann bridge (aka Hell in morning rush hour) with zero delays, jumped on the SkyTrain with zero delays, and walked around all day. There is obviously increased foot traffic but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Getting out of the hockey game was a disaster as everyone was routed out of a few exits instead of the usual dozen or so.

We walked around after the game to look at as much as possible but we didn't get into many of the Pavillions that were set up because neither of us were willing to wait the 1-3 hours to get in. The atmosphere was great, TONS of Canada gear, cheers whenever something positive was shown on one of the many screens and lots of International support as well. I was expecting to see some Anti-Olympic protest type stuff but didn't encounter any at all where we went.

I've avoided reading too much about how the world thinks we're doing as the host city because much of the early stuff was negative about the opening ceremonies and violent protests. I've always been a big fan of the Olympics (both summer and winter) so I'm trying to watch as much as I can and enjoy it while it lasts.

Old
02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
I've avoided reading too much about how the world thinks we're doing as the host city because much of the early stuff was negative about the opening ceremonies and violent protests. I've always been a big fan of the Olympics (both summer and winter) so I'm trying to watch as much as I can and enjoy it while it lasts.
Understandable.

Actually, the opening ceremonies went over very well for the most part - slight hiccup with the hydraulics wasn't a real issue, they dealt with it well. Some whining form within Canada about the anthem, and about Michaele Jean looking like she was sleeping, but that's about it. Over all it was a good show.

Everyone seems to recognize that protests come hand in hand with an international event of this scale. Nobody has any issues with peaceful protests, and it's clear the limited violence that occurred was not actually from legitimate protesters at all, it was a small minority of criminals looking to exploit the protest for their own jollies.

Vancouver is putting on a good show - and even though I poked fun, they've actually even got through the weather challenges at Cypress tremendously well - the freestyle and snowcross events were terrific.

In fact, I think the only dark mark to the games has been the tragic death of the Georgian Luger, but while that was obviously extremely unfortunate, nobody seems to feel it reflects poorly on Vancouver (or Whistler for that matter).

So enjoy the games with a clear conscience!

Old
02-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Dryden

Send a message via MSN to Dryden Send a message via Skype™ to Dryden
these games have been awesome in my mind. I'm even enjoying watching curling.

Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Canuck09

Day 2 update...

Team Finland 5-1 win vs Belarus
Sami Lepisto - Didn't pick up a point in his 13:56 mins of action. Had 2 shots and apparently played fairly well on the 3rd pairing with Lydman.

Team Sweden 2-0 win vs Germany
Jonas Gustavsson - As expected, rode the pine. Unlikely he sees any action at all I would think.

Team Czech 3-1 win vs Slovakia
Martin Havlat - Playing with Elias and Plekanec, picked up an assist on the games first goal by Elias but surprisingly finished without a shot.
Pavel Kubina - Only 5th in ice time amongst D for the team with 15:15 played, little surprised with that. Finished with 1 shot on goal and was +1.

Old
02-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Vaive-Alive

A few good men.

Here are the Bruins participants:

Russia:
Ilya "Useless to me" Nikulin ( KHL )
Dimitri "Useless to me" Kalinin (KHL )

Finland:
Mikky-Finn Koivu

Sweden:
King Loui

Czech:
Flash Fleischmann
Milan "The Milkman" Michalek

Prince Vince is one of many potential Team Good Guys replacements in the event of injury.

GM Kruegs

Vaive-Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Canuck09

Day 3 update...

Team USA 6-1 win vs Norway
Paul Stastny - Played more than any forward other than Langenbrunner but was held without a point again.
Ryan Suter - Lead the USA in ice time, picked up another assist and was +1. By most accounts has been the best D for USA so far through 2 games.
Ryan Malone - Had 1 goal, 1 assist and finished +3. Played a strong game from what I read, his size/strength will be very important against Canada on Sunday.

Team Norway 1-6 loss vs USA
OK Tollefsen - Dressed for this game and logged a ton of minutes playing 26:10. I didn't watch the game but finishing a -1 with 6 goals against given the minutes he played things couldn't have been that bad for him.

Team Russia 1-2 loss vs Slovakia
Evgeny Nabokov - Was given the night off and look how that worked out for Russia!

Old
02-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Day 2 update...

Jonas Gustavsson - As expected, rode the pine. Unlikely he sees any action at all I would think.
Actually, the Monster is expected to dress for Sweden's next game, from what I read.

Old
02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Dryden

Send a message via MSN to Dryden Send a message via Skype™ to Dryden
HFNHL Blackhawks Olympic representatives

The Hawks are proud to see Duncan Keith and Joe Pavelski represent Canada and United States respectively at the Olympics in Vancouver.

Both players are participating in their second international tournament and first Olympic tourney.

So far, Keith has played a huge role on Team Canada and has logged the second most ice time on the team. Only Shea Weber has logged more ice time. While not producing points Keith is a +2.

Pavelski has put up 2 assists in 3 GP for the US team. While he is in more of a 3rd or 4th line role he is still contributing on the PP and PK units.

Dryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Three down, three still standing for Columbus.

CZECH - eliminated in Quarterfinals.
D Marek Zidlicky - Zidlicky has been one of the top producing defencemen in the tournament, with 5 points in 4 games.

CANADA - advances to semis versus Slovakia, which will pit the tournament's top scorers against each other. Should be a barn-burner!
Head Coach Mike Babcock - Babcock has done a good job finding lines that click, getting out of the way of his players, and managing a minor goalie controversy.

FINLAND - advances to the Semis against the US, whic sees the tourney;s top two goalies face off. Finland may have trouble with the speed of the US, so Kipper will have to be *on*.
C Olli Jokinen - steady but not dominant part of Finland's balanced attack, with 1g and 1a.
W Jere Lehtinen - No points, but has played key shutdown role against top opponents.
(The Finns Captain, Saku Koivu - now with Montreal - has been steady, with two assists and some key leadership on and off the ice.)

RUSSIA - eliminated in the Quarterfinals.
G Semyon Varlamov - wasn't expected to see any action, and didn't, but look out in 4 years: he may just be the man to restore Russia's Olympic pride on home ice!
C Viktor Kozlov - largely invisible playing in limited minutes, with just one goal for the tournament.

At this point I'm calling a repeat of the 2002 Canada/US final, which might just cause the world to end, (Or at least this server to crash!). We'll see.

Old
02-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Canuck09

Been a little bit since I had an update so here we go leading up to the two medal games. Also a discovered a forgotten Oilers Olympian in prospect Sergei Kolosov (aka Sergei Kolasau) which brings the total up to 10 representitives.

Team Belarus
Sergei Kolosov - Held pointless but is known as a defensive player so that's not a surprise. Played 13:42 a game, good for 5th amongst defensemen on the team.

Team Czech
Martin Havlat - Very disappointing showing for Havlat with only 2 assists in 5 games and was tied with a team worst -3. Seemed to fall out of favor early on as he logged only 13:37 minutes of ice time a game.
Pavel Kubina - Another disappointing player for the Czech team. Didn't put up any points though he finished a +2. Played only 14:35 a game.

Team Finland
Sami Lepisto - Started out playing 3rd pairing minutes but got a chance to play a little more after an injury and seemed to move his way up the depth chart. Finished with 1 assist but was tied for the team worst +/- being a -3. Played 15:37 a game.

Team Norway
OK Tollefsen - Missed the first game and was thrown out of the last game after delivering a questionable hit. Played major minutes in the other 2 games and finished a decent -1 on a fairly overwhelmed Norway team.

Team Russia
Evgeni Nabokov - Had a decent tournament going until the Quarterfinal game against Canada where he got shelled for 6 goals in a little over one period (Go Canada!!!)

Team Sweden
Jonas Gustavsson - Only saw action in 1 game picking up a win. Hopefully it was a good experience for him and he can be back with the team in 2014.

Team USA
Paul Stastny - Has played well most of the tournament but only started producing points the last 2 games finishing with 1 goal and 2 assists and was a +3.
Ryan Malone - Despite playing the 4th fewest minutes Malone is 3rd in team scoring with 3 goals and 2 assists in 5 games. Big strong player could be called upon a little more against Canada tomorrow, here's to hoping he disappoints!
Ryan Suter - Played a huge tournament so far, hopefully gaining some respect around the world with people who don't get to see Nashville games. Has 4 assists, is a team high +8 and also leads with 21:06 played a game.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Canuck09

What a game! Final updates from the medal games...

Team Finland
Sami Lepisto - Logged a lot of minutes early but saw his ice time really cut back once the Fins fell behind. Hopefully this experience helps his development and he can pick it up with the Coyotes.

Team USA
Paul Stastny - Finished with 17:52 played, had one shot and was a -1. I was surprised to see he played that much as I didn't really notice him out there too much. The Kesler/Brown/Kane line seemed to take over as the top line this game and got the most ice time.
Ryan Malone - Was a victim of the squeeze on minutes playing only 10:50, had 3 shots, 2 PIMs and was a -1. Another player that I didn't notice out there a whole lot.
Ryan Suter - An absoulte workhorse this game. As the 3rd period was going on and USA was pressing I commented to a friend that it seemed like Suter was on the ice the entire period. Looking at the stats it was close, playing 11:38 in the 3rd period alone and 31:31 in the game to lead USA. Finished with 3 shots and was a +1, on ice for both USA goals but also the golden goal by Crosby as he took out Iginla and Sid snuck by Rafalski and put home the winner...yay!!