HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline, UFAs, RFAs and more - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
I'd rather try to get Cory Schneider and deal Parent in return, but if we can somehow land both Hamhuis and Ellis in the same deal, I wouldn't be disappointed.
What is with all the hype around Schneider? His AHL numbers aren't that great and he has limited NHL experience. Why does everyone think he is such a highly touted prospect? I haven't seen him play so maybe this is just ignorance, but what is so special about this guy? I know its a small sampling, but last season he played 8 NHL games and had a +3 GAA and sub .900 save percentage. Is that the guy you want heading into the playoffs? Those stats are pretty comparable to Leighton to has just about the same AHL stats as well. I know Schneider is young and has potential, but his stats certainly aren't blowing me away.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What is with all the hype around Schneider? His AHL numbers aren't that great and he has limited NHL experience. Why does everyone think he is such a highly touted prospect? I haven't seen him play so maybe this is just ignorance, but what is so special about this guy? I know its a small sampling, but last season he played 8 NHL games and had a +3 GAA and sub .900 save percentage. Is that the guy you want heading into the playoffs? Those stats are pretty comparable to Leighton to has just about the same AHL stats as well. I know Schneider is young and has potential, but his stats certainly aren't blowing me away.
If the critique is thinking about this coming season...then I agree, I can't see Schneider being dealt for and leading us to a Cup. In the bigger picture, I would love to pick up Schneider.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
I saw him in college, dude is legit, I've been a big fan of his for years.

Once he gets a chance, he's going to do well, just needs to be eased into the NHL instead of being given 2-3 spot starts every 6 months.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If the critique is thinking about this coming season...then I agree, I can't see Schneider being dealt for and leading us to a Cup. In the bigger picture, I would love to pick up Schneider.
Even in the bigger picture, it seems like he is just an average prospect. Certainly not going to lead anyone to a Cup this year but it seems like he is just pedestrian. Again this is just from looking at his stats, but his stats don't scream "franchise goalie."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I saw him in college, dude is legit, I've been a big fan of his for years.

Once he gets a chance, he's going to do well, just needs to be eased into the NHL instead of being given 2-3 spot starts every 6 months.
I'm always highly skeptical of college goalies. NCAA stats can be very skewed. I'd say his AHL stats are more of an indicator, and they certainly aren't bad. But they just don't really impress as a future #1 at this point. Again I've never seen him play so you may be right.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:04 PM
FlyHigh

Eh, a lot of those stats can be skewed because it depends on the style of their team. Thiessen was one where he played really well, but his team played like the NJD in the 90s which led to some inflated stats.

But BC certainly rely on their goalies quite a bit, as for NCAA goalies...Miller, Thomas, Quick, DiPietro....most good American goalies will go through college I think.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Even in the bigger picture, it seems like he is just an average prospect. Certainly not going to lead anyone to a Cup this year but it seems like he is just pedestrian. Again this is just from looking at his stats, but his stats don't scream "franchise goalie."
Ah, I'm not sure I'd call his numbers "pedestrian." Putting up a .928 in 40 professional games is impressive. His numbers are down a bit this year, but I don't know enough about what is going on up there to really judge that (he could have had nagging injuries, who knows).

However, he's a legit goalie prospect...which we don't really have anywhere near the NHL level.

Quote:
I'm always highly skeptical of college goalies. NCAA stats can be very skewed. I'd say his AHL stats are more of an indicator, and they certainly aren't bad. But they just don't really impress as a future #1 at this point. Again I've never seen him play so you may be right.
Stats for everyone are skewed up if you're looking at them below the professional level. Hell, stats in the AHL are skewed up.

Ryan Miller, MSU.
Jimmy Howard, Maine.
Turco, Michigan.
Thomas, Vermont.
Quick, UMASS.

Reality is that if you're looking at US goalies, there's a good chance they went to college...not sure that's something to hold against 'em.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Do you think we could do a Blum Ellis deal instead of Hamhuis, or is Blum too highly touted in Nashville.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Do you think we could do a Blum Ellis deal instead of Hamhuis, or is Blum too highly touted in Nashville.
...well the only reason we're talking about Hamhuis is because he's a pending UFA.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
...well the only reason we're talking about Hamhuis is because he's a pending UFA.
So we are going after him because of the cheap factor?

Old
03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'd say Nashville needs a backup if Ellis is getting moved.
I'm pretty sure they would be ok with bringing Pickard up and letting him play about 25-30 games next year.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
So we are going after him because of the cheap factor?
...no, Nashville is only potentially moving him because he won't be there next year anyway, and the same is true of Ellis. I don't think they're going to be giving up any players they have under control unless you give 'em something they really want.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Ah, I'm not sure I'd call his numbers "pedestrian." Putting up a .928 in 40 professional games is impressive. His numbers are down a bit this year, but I don't know enough about what is going on up there to really judge that (he could have had nagging injuries, who knows).

However, he's a legit goalie prospect...which we don't really have anywhere near the NHL level.

Stats for everyone are skewed up if you're looking at them below the professional level. Hell, stats in the AHL are skewed up.

Ryan Miller, MSU.
Jimmy Howard, Maine.
Turco, Michigan.
Thomas, Vermont.
Quick, UMASS.

Reality is that if you're looking at US goalies, there's a good chance they went to college...not sure that's something to hold against 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Eh, a lot of those stats can be skewed because it depends on the style of their team. Thiessen was one where he played really well, but his team played like the NJD in the 90s which led to some inflated stats.

But BC certainly rely on their goalies quite a bit, as for NCAA goalies...Miller, Thomas, Quick, DiPietro....most good American goalies will go through college I think.
Yeah I guess that's a good point. Still, I would at least wait until the offseason to make a move for Schneider. I feel like the Flyers have a shot to win it all this year (albeit not a great one) and have to go for the gusto. Trading for a futures type goalie would not be a good move IMO. I know a lot of people won't like that though...

Old
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Yeah I guess that's a good point. Still, I would at least wait until the offseason to make a move for Schneider. I feel like the Flyers have a shot to win it all this year (albeit not a great one) and have to go for the gusto. Trading for a futures type goalie would not be a good move IMO. I know a lot of people won't like that though...
If the opportunity presents itself, I'd trade for him now, we've needed that future goalie for a decade, no use in passing him up if he's available because situation could be very different in the summer.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
decadentia

How much room has been moved, essentially 2 mil so far?

Old
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I think it's more like 2.5, not including the retroactively freed cap room from LTIR-ing Emery.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Just off the top of mt head,
Emery -1.5
Syvret -500 ?
Cote - 500 ?

Old
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
decadentia

Well, i'd say Parent or Coburn is gone. I'd assume Coburn would be about as expensive to retain next year as Hamhuis, hmm.

Though who knows with Holmgren.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

With the paperwork thus far, and assuming Cote and Syvret are being sent down, the Flyers have just under $222K in cap space to play with. Not enough to get Hamhuis or Ellis without taking someone off the roster, let alone both players at the same time.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
With the paperwork thus far, and assuming Cote and Syvret are being sent down, the Flyers have just under $222K in cap space to play with. Not enough to get Hamhuis or Ellis without taking someone off the roster, let alone both players at the same time.
lol, that is funny as hell. Shooter the cap genious.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They have almost $2M according to Boruk.

Quote:
For all you numbers crunchers, the Flyers are now roughly $1.975 mil. under the cap after placing Emery on LTI and Cote on waivers.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
They have almost $2M according to Boruk.
GKJ is probably talking in cumulative terms.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Not sure if this applies to us.

Per NHLPredsInsider

"We got action - announcement coming shortly."

Old
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Not sure if this applies to us.

Per NHLPredsInsider

"We got action - announcement coming shortly."
It doesn't.

Grebeshkov to NSH for NSH 2nd.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It doesn't.

Grebeshkov to NSH for NSH 2nd.
Damn.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
FlyHigh

Grebs is a replacement for Hamhuis perhaps?

Hard to see NSH holding onto all 4 of those guys unless they think they can make a run this year.

Closed Thread