HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Composite Shaft/Blade Recommendations

Old
02-26-2010, 04:06 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

vCash: 500
Composite Shaft/Blade Recommendations

i've been searching for a new stick, and im thinking about going for a 2-piece (cheaper over the long run...hopefully).

anyways, i have limited experience with composite sticks (have just used an easton ST, some cheap POS easton, and a reebok 5k (being the only 2-piece out of the three)), so im not sure what sticks are known for being durable, good performance for money, etc.

as for blades, ive only used an easton se16 iginla (which i like).

im looking at a few shafts, but wanted to get other's input. im hoping to spend under $100 on a shaft (hockeymonkey has a lot of shafts under $100 right now), and around $50(ish) on a blade. im around 200lbs, and im pretty hard on my sticks, so i try to buy more durable sticks, so im interested in a shaft and blade that is durable, yet still provides good performance.

so what are some shafts and blades that you guys would suggest?

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:19 AM
CanadaBacon

If you can add an extra 40$ to your budget i would say get an AK27.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Reebok 8k is a nice two piece. If you cut sticks down you should probably look at a lighter flex than you're used to though, it's about 3-4" longer than a normal tapered shaft.

One 95 tapered is also real good.

If you want a standard shaft the ST will be a good, and quite durable, shaft for under 100. You can also find last year's AK shafts for about 85 online but the flexes tend to be limited.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Bullitt_Boxer

SE16 Shaft

Bullitt_Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Unless you're 6'6, I would stay away from a 110 flex shaft.

My favorite so far has been the Dolomite shaft with the Dolomite HD blade. It had the best kick of any stick I've used so far and the blade had very good feel. The shafts have always been VERY durable for me and the older Dolomite blades (non-HD) were tanks, but the newer ones have been reported to fall apart kind of quickly.

I've also heard great things about the One95 shaft-blade combo. It is standard taper so usually guys who take more slapshots than wrist shots like it, but the puck feel is the best.

Easton I wasn't impressed with. Their standard shafts seem very stiff (75 flex Z-Bubble felt like 90+ and 70 flex Cyclone felt like 100+). Their tapered shafts don't have a very good kick to them, even though they're pretty whippy. And the blades have good feel but cracked at the heel after only a few uses.

I just ordered a Harrow shaft-blade combo, I'll see how I like that. I've used their blades in the past and they had pretty good puck feel but excellent stiffness and durability. I'm curious to see how the shaft feels and kicks with the vibration dampers inside.

My buddy has one, but he's a righty and I'm a lefty, so the only thing I knew was that I could rip REALLY hard backhanders that hit the crossbar from the blueline Made me almost want to try a straight blade my backhander was so good with a Modano clone the wrong way!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:05 AM
blueberrydanish

Well just from my personal experience I love my One95 two-piece....Id say immediately noticed a difference in the feels of my shots and all that from the XXV and S11. Very light, seems pretty durable so far no real chipping on the bottom of my blade compared to my older sticks. If you are a guy who really enjoys shooting thatd be my recommendation. Pretty good price too, can pickup a two-piece for about 140-150$ which is a great deal.

If durability is your main concern though I heard alot about the ST stick for that.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:51 AM
canuck44

Sorry to sidetrack here but I have a sitaution of my own. Although i've never had a two piece before (when my OPS's broke, I got a blade put in and gave it to my brother ), I'm thinking about getting a blade put in my vapor XXX. But it was already probably too stiff since it was at 87 and I had to cut it down, effectively making it probably close to 100 flex. If I have to cut it even shorter and put an extension at the top, I don't know if I'd be able to get any flex out of the shaft.... recommendations? Oh and I replaced the XXX with a XXXX just recently, but my years old backup TPS rubber response is just too heavy for me. So I'd like to have the XXX has a back up.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
hubby1746

Warrior Johnson $59.99 @ hockeymonkey, cant go wrong. ive been using it for about a month and a half and its very durable, the nipple grip works really well, hasnt rubbed off yet. And theres no dings or chips or anything. If you like Easton blades with the Iginla curve try http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-s...ent-blade.html Its almost indestructible. If u can find a way to break that blade in anyway id be surprised. That shaft/blade combo should last a while

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Skraut

On a semi-related note, would people recommend a shaft/blade combination for somebody still starting out?

I ended up getting a cheap TPS one piece, because my LHS didn't have any wooden sticks that even made it to my shoulders. And while I'll admit to not fully knowing what I'm doing with the stick (still learning to feel how to load it etc) I can't help wanting to try different patterns and see what I like/don't like. As the only left shooting player on my adult learn to play hockey team however, my options for trying out other sticks are limited.

I asked the LHS about a shaft/blade combo and they really tried to discourage me, and push me at the $200 one piece sticks. They had no shafts, yet they seemed to have an absolute ton of blades (especially left) on clearance, and I was wondering if it was something I should look at, so I could try out different patterns, and even grab some wooden blades for use on concrete in the summer.

How easy/hard is it to change out the blades on a two piece setup?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:20 PM
mgd150

I'm in the same boat as the above poster. I'm fairly new, I bought a cheap wood stick just to start skating with it. I'm going to be joining a developmental/beginner league soon and I am wondering if getting a low end shaft and multiple wood blades would be a good idea.

I can go for some suggestions, Im 5'8 150 lbs, Im thinking I should be in the 70-75 flex area.

mgd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd150 View Post
I'm in the same boat as the above poster. I'm fairly new, I bought a cheap wood stick just to start skating with it. I'm going to be joining a developmental/beginner league soon and I am wondering if getting a low end shaft and multiple wood blades would be a good idea.

I can go for some suggestions, Im 5'8 150 lbs, Im thinking I should be in the 70-75 flex area.
Unless you really like wood, I'd switch as soon as possible. I've always used wood, and I still do, but it's because I can't get a good feel for one-piece sticks. Just used wood for too long, and since my shooting technique is flawed, it doesn't translate well into composites. Wood stick are forgiving - you can power through a lot of poor mechanics. Composites are picky - you need to use the flex effectively by loading it properly, and I've never had to do that. It's like steel golf clubs vs graphite.

Stupid Nike and not making my Zero-G sticks anymore......

For the flex, I'd start with 1/2 your body weight. Then adjust from there - depends if you want stiffer or more flexy.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:54 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
On a semi-related note, would people recommend a shaft/blade combination for somebody still starting out?

I ended up getting a cheap TPS one piece, because my LHS didn't have any wooden sticks that even made it to my shoulders. And while I'll admit to not fully knowing what I'm doing with the stick (still learning to feel how to load it etc) I can't help wanting to try different patterns and see what I like/don't like. As the only left shooting player on my adult learn to play hockey team however, my options for trying out other sticks are limited.

I asked the LHS about a shaft/blade combo and they really tried to discourage me, and push me at the $200 one piece sticks. They had no shafts, yet they seemed to have an absolute ton of blades (especially left) on clearance, and I was wondering if it was something I should look at, so I could try out different patterns, and even grab some wooden blades for use on concrete in the summer.

How easy/hard is it to change out the blades on a two piece setup?
The local shops probably pushing ya for one-piece so the can make more money. Personally Id recommend a two-piece setup, its not that complicated to put together and if you ever want to try different curves you arent replacing the whole stick. Not to mention, if you are like me and end up just breaking your blades, you will save a ton of $$ in the long run.

Go ahead and get the two-piece there is no real disadvantage to having a two-piece over a one except for the fact you gotta put it together...but in the end thats more of a advantage for blade replacement.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Big thing in the OPS favor is that they go on clearance and sell for cheap while blades and shafts are always full price.

I wouldn't touch a stick that sells for under $100 personally...they're usually crap performance, heavy, and act more like a wood stick than a composite anyway. Exception is when sticks are on clearance.

Here's a lot more information about hockey sticks, just in reverse order, so start with the bottom post.

Old
02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFoodEnforcer View Post
i've been searching for a new stick, and im thinking about going for a 2-piece (cheaper over the long run...hopefully).

anyways, i have limited experience with composite sticks (have just used an easton ST, some cheap POS easton, and a reebok 5k (being the only 2-piece out of the three)), so im not sure what sticks are known for being durable, good performance for money, etc.

as for blades, ive only used an easton se16 iginla (which i like).

im looking at a few shafts, but wanted to get other's input. im hoping to spend under $100 on a shaft (hockeymonkey has a lot of shafts under $100 right now), and around $50(ish) on a blade. im around 200lbs, and im pretty hard on my sticks, so i try to buy more durable sticks, so im interested in a shaft and blade that is durable, yet still provides good performance.

so what are some shafts and blades that you guys would suggest?

I have used Harrow for about a year now playing twice a week at least and have broken one blade. I play defense and block shots with it as well as the blade whacking on other blades and generally rough play. I also have a very heavy slapshot and have not broken a shaft yet.

Very durable and for your post point economical for a great quality item. The blades are just $40 each for the senior blades and they have the most popular blade patterns.

These may be for you .... I paid $90 each for my shafts but they are now $100 each and $40 for a blade. I also like the rubber grip on the shafts.

http://www.hockeystick.com click on the ice hockey one obviously.... they sell right from their website, check their store locator though you may get lucky but doubtful. They are still a small company as they have to compete with names like Reebok and Bauer who advertise heavily and can afford to.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:40 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

thanks for all the replies.

while durability is one of my concerns (ie: i dont want a twig that breaks really easily, or one with a reputation for it), i also like performance out of my stick.

i was looking at the 8k and one95 shafts, as well as the dolomite HD blade (prior to posting this thread), but im not 100% sure about the curve patterns. ive seen the pictures, but dont want to go by a picture, i prefer having the specs.lol

cutting down shafts is fine for me, and the 8k being longer is good, since an 85 flex is too flexy for me, so i can at least stiffen it up a bit.

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

8k's in general feel really stiff. I use 75 flex sticks but the 75 8k felt closer to 85-90 IMO.

Old
03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I have used Harrow for about a year now playing twice a week at least and have broken one blade. I play defense and block shots with it as well as the blade whacking on other blades and generally rough play. I also have a very heavy slapshot and have not broken a shaft yet.

Very durable and for your post point economical for a great quality item. The blades are just $40 each for the senior blades and they have the most popular blade patterns.

These may be for you .... I paid $90 each for my shafts but they are now $100 each and $40 for a blade. I also like the rubber grip on the shafts.

http://www.hockeystick.com click on the ice hockey one obviously.... they sell right from their website, check their store locator though you may get lucky but doubtful. They are still a small company as they have to compete with names like Reebok and Bauer who advertise heavily and can afford to.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Harrow just put their blades and shafts on sale for 50% off on their site with the code HKYRINK

$70 for the shaft and blade is hard to beat.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They've had 50% off sales on and off the last few months...I wonder how long they'll keep it up? Maybe trying to get some product out to market?

I know I've used and loved their blades. $40 is good, but with shipping it's only a few bucks more for the Dolomite. But if the HD's don't hold up, I'd rather get a couple of the Harrow blades.

$100 for the shaft is as much as the One95 tapered but $20-40 cheaper than the Dolomite, SE16, and Vapor shafts. I know everyone says they have the best puck feel, I'm waiting on mine to see what the performance is like. They're supposed to be a bit heavy but durable.

Anyways, price-wise they're certainly competitive, although I would really like to see them in the stores. I've only seen Harrow blades twice in shops, both times on clearance. If they could get some presence in the shops, they could probably pick up the sales.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i have like 3 s15 blades and i dont really like them. i just ordered another one because they didnt have any p02 samsonov/pronger patterns of bauer one95s so i got an s15 getzlaf/lidstrom pattern

i really like my z-bubble focus flex though and though they dont really make them anymore the new s19 shaft is the same thing just re wrapped and the s15 shaft isnt alot different

try hte s15 blade shaft combo. they are both focus flex so its a lower kickpoint but its still a standard taper which is nice because there are more options for blades

i was thinking about getting a one95 shaft and putting my bauer supreme samsonov curve in it. my focus flex is an 85 flex with a butt end in it and i weigh 13.4 stones so the thing feels like rubber to me so i wanted to get a 100 flex one95 shaft

i have a 100 flex ak27 the older one and im not a huge fan of it but it has the s15 blade on it

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.

Harrow just put their blades and shafts on sale for 50% off on their site with the code HKYRINK

$70 for the shaft and blade is hard to beat.
Harrow should send me a free stick for mentioning them and leading to a sale lol.

50% off, I did not know about that and I just spent $500 on heating oil which sucks now that I read this. I'll have to scrape something together.

You are welcome in any case ... some guys I play with have wanted to try one out but are too lazy to buy online and would rather buy it in person. They see me shoot with them as I have a heavy slapshot that gets compliments and they ask about the stick I am using usually never having heard of Harrow.

I then explain the basics about their not being the lightest stick but they opted for puck feel and durability and use AVS vibration thingies in them.

I think people are being trained for "Light, light, light ... it's gotta be the lightest stick or it sucks" mentality. I think it depends on what type of player you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They've had 50% off sales on and off the last few months...I wonder how long they'll keep it up? Maybe trying to get some product out to market?

I know I've used and loved their blades. $40 is good, but with shipping it's only a few bucks more for the Dolomite. But if the HD's don't hold up, I'd rather get a couple of the Harrow blades.

$100 for the shaft is as much as the One95 tapered but $20-40 cheaper than the Dolomite, SE16, and Vapor shafts. I know everyone says they have the best puck feel, I'm waiting on mine to see what the performance is like. They're supposed to be a bit heavy but durable.

Anyways, price-wise they're certainly competitive, although I would really like to see them in the stores. I've only seen Harrow blades twice in shops, both times on clearance. If they could get some presence in the shops, they could probably pick up the sales.

If you go by the website info offered for each piece of the two piece and add up the weight it comes to 515g total. I know they are perfectly balanced and feel awesome.

They do not mention the weight for their OP stickies.

The One95 shafts are not tapered though and I like the tapered now after using them. earlier on this board i mentioned that I prefer a standard hosel until stores get stock in that would let me have a selection every time for the exact blade I want and would not get a tapered until then.

Now I can order online or go to my friend's local shop who deals in Harrow and they always have what I use.

Gone are the days of having to settle for whatever the local shops have in stock.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One95's are available tapered from Pure Hockey...not sure if it's a regular or pro stock return deal.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
One95's are available tapered from Pure Hockey...not sure if it's a regular or pro stock return deal.
I hope they will become avialable commercially. Do you mean to OPS or the shafts? I use shafts only because of the feel, pricepoint and versatility.

I would probably like a true OPS better, I have never used a true OPS so I cannot comment. For all I know they may be better than a two piece.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Roccosvan

These may be a bit pricey, but I use easton synergy ST. I can get them new for $180.00 plus tax at the local hockey shop.

The reason I recommend 1 piece is because of performance, don't worry it won't break on you - we're not NHL'ers, we don't explode sticks trying to take one-time slappers. The performance is so much better than two piece i can't even explain it.

On another note; most people know this but I thought I would throw this in there, usually, beer-league guys like me break the stick at the blade, it will get stepped on or eventually fail (the shaft breaking is more rare) I've broken one shaft blocking a slapshot and at least 4 blades just from heavy usage. Anyways, once you break the blade, you can use the stick as a shaft. Take the plug out of the top, and replace it with a blade, then cut the blade off to the length that you want, and viola, a two piece stick!

I use 85flex because i like to take hard snap shots, let's face it, you're lucky if even 1 time per game you can find the time and space to wind up for a big slapper, so 100 flex is way better for slappers, but passing and wrist/snap shots 85 flex is better.

Also, one piece stick will wear out and become more flexible over time.

GOOD LUCK!

Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not sure if they will or not, and I'm not sure what makes them different from the Vapor shafts, which are tapered.

OPS usually have a lower fuse point so they are lighter weight and less blade heavy...seem to shoot the same, and most any OPS under $150 is just a fused 2-piece anyway.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
I'm not sure if they will or not, and I'm not sure what makes them different from the Vapor shafts, which are tapered.

OPS usually have a lower fuse point so they are lighter weight and less blade heavy...seem to shoot the same, and most any OPS under $150 is just a fused 2-piece anyway.
one95 tapered shaft keeps the low-mid kick of the one95 instead of the super low kick of the vapor.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote