HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Emery out for season, (posts #158 and 159) bone graft

Old
03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
How can anyone say this..
imo Emery was outplayed by a goalie that was waived by one of the worse teams in the league. Take a minute to think about it. I mean Leighton came in and had teh same or better % then Emery. Am I making this **** up?

I know, I know.. but he was injured argument and when he was healthy he was good.
You acknowledge the clear argument for Emery, yet act like it holds no weight against the argument you just stated.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I was waiting for Emery to fail all over himself, but unless it was kept completely under wraps, you can't get on him for getting hurt.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I was waiting for Emery to fail all over himself, but unless it was kept completely under wraps, you can't get on him for getting hurt.
Meltzer called him a jackass in one of his blogs...still don't know why.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I'm getting used to you freaking out about every little thing on here now, but you cannot seriously believe that ******** you wrote up there. I'm sure the guy totally approached the situation with a "**** it" attitude, knowing very well this was probably his last shot at proving himself. He was completely fine until he got hurt, and if you want to blame the injury on one ****ing picture from over the summer, you might just want to stop following sports because all athletes are going to party during their time off. And quite honestly, if anyone needs to make excuses for themselves, start pointing your finger at the pathetic medical staff they have. Injuries happen in sports. Get the **** over it.
DING DING DING!!!! Im quite sure the medical staff hasnt helped. Wouldnt be too shocked if Ryan parent left and never suffered another injury in his life. We all know how awful McCrossin and his boys are. I know I was big on the "drinking" thing, but honestly, what they do outside of the season is their deal. Some athletes choose to work their ***** off, others party. As long as they show up and play during the season and try to win, thats all that matters. For a while this team chose not to play, but since lavi has been here they have. Injuries will and always will be a part of the game. It sucks but w/e. Its a tough break, and a little uneasy with Leighton being our guy going foward but the man has certainly been awesome for us, whos to say he wont in the future.

As for Emery, would say he was useless nor a waste. The man played well when he was healthy, i wouldnt be opposed to bringing him back at the same or cheaper price, if there isnt any other better options. I think with lavi's coaching and the vast improvemnt with the defense and Razor being healthy could be a fun combo. Its a shame he got hurt, i really wanted to see what he could do. hopefully management reups him for another year as a backup or a starter. Ray is a better option than empty net biron was...

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So we have to look forward now for another goalie. Ok, put Syvret and Cote on waivers. I wouldn't doubt if he does the same thing for Boucher. Or, trade Boucher and someone/something else for Ellis. Maybe Boosh and Pyo for Ellis? Maybe throw in someone else?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
infidelappel*

First off, the argument that Emery's injury is because he and his friend boned two blondes back before training camp is bogus. I said it then and I'll say it now; the guy cannot be expected to be doing stretching and riding the exercise bike 24 hours a day. There was nothing in those pictures to suggest he was doing anything untoward that night that might inhibit his athletic training - no sign of alcohol, drugs, or anything like that.

You think the guys on the team who have wives who haven't gotten injured all year don't do anything? C'mon, man.

I didn't want him here at all. I've always said he has been overrated for that Cup run and that the Emery experiment would fail, but let's not act like he took a golden opportunity and wiped his rear with it. I don't like the guy that much, I don't really want to waste another year on the Emery Experiment, but I'm not gonna throw him under the bus for all that.

Could it be the result of a lack of conditioning, or difference between last year's KHL routine and the higher pace of the NHL? It's possible. But to spout off all of that damning evidence because of a couple of floozies is just stupid.

On a more relevant note, I do think Ellis is better than Leighton. Having watched him play a little bit, he's far more technically and positionally sound, and has had Present-Leighton-esque numbers for a couple full seasons. His worst year on last year's terrible Nashville team is about equivalent to Leighton's only year as the full-time starter in Chicago (slightly better, I believe), while his two other good years are comparable to Leighton this season, but on a larger sample size (over 40 GP in both, I believe).

Depending on the price, I take Ellis over Leighton in a heartbeat...but neither are a long-term solution. Ellis is just another stopgap, albeit one I'd feel more comfortable with.

I still want Halak. Or Vokoun.

Or Miller. Man is a beast. I can dream, right?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Meltzer called him a jackass in one of his blogs...still don't know why.
Some one told me he was a jerk at the carnival too. Not sure if it was here, or if someone actually said it to me. From watching the event, when they got him in front of the camera, it looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:33 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
For all you numbers crunchers, the Flyers are now roughly $1.975 mil. under the cap after placing Emery on LTI and Cote on waivers.
from John Boruk's twitter
http://twitter.com/CSNFlyer

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Unstable

Quote:
I would like to introduce you to Chase Utley...
Nice photo, love it.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
You acknowledge the clear argument for Emery, yet act like it holds no weight against the argument you just stated.
SV% 905 In this league this is not good enough and that’s the bottom line.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Might Leighton keep up his run of play? Yes, he might. On the other hand, reversion to mean is something that is relatively constant in this world...and Leighton has set up one hell of an ugly reversion.

We may end up banking on Leighton because we don't really have a choice, but Holmgren should be looking at options.
There are a lot of variables that changed when Leighton started his hot streak with the Flyers, even Leighton himself is not a constant thing. People work and improve, injure and heal, slump and peak etc.. I would not be surprised if you're right and his play falls off, but it is absolutely not a sure thing.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

While Emery is out, I'd say trade Boosh and someone/something else for Ellis and then since both are UFA at the end of this season, I'd say let them duke it out on who gets to stay as a starter and have Leighton as the back up.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
decadentia

Quote:
SV% 905 In this league this is not good enough and that’s the bottom line.
This year, .908 2.65

Playoffs 2008-09, .908 2.61

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Get Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post

Get Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
What the hell is with people continuing to post pictures of various Pens players with the Cup?

We get the damn point.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
This year, .908 2.65

Playoffs 2008-09, .908 2.61

Can you find a picture where was Emery this time last year.. I am a little tired. I mena I would think that when you are given a chance to play for a very strong team you would make an effort. Guess not.

Who outplayed Flyers and bascially won a playoff round? Was that MAF? What was his SV% against the Flyers last year..

How about against Wings? MAF was sensasional. Please.. Do not compare our North Philly bum to MAF.

Curious how many wins MAF has this season? Lets compare that to number of games Emery played. Holy ****.. it's even.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Emery's numbers are bad becuase he played hurt. That was his mistake.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
What the hell is with people continuing to post pictures of various Pens players with the Cup?

We get the damn point.
Apparently you don't this time

Quote:
Can you find a picture where was Emery this time last year.. I am a little tired. I mena I would think that when you are given a chance to play for a very strong team you would make an effort. Guess not.

Who outplayed Flyers and bascially won a playoff round? Was that MAF? What was his SV% against the Flyers last year..

How about against Wings? MAF was sensasional. Please.. Do not compare our North Philly bum to MAF.

Curious how many wins MAF has this season? Lets compare that to number of games Emery played. Holy ****.. it's even.
I suppose broad one-liners aren't the smartest things to throw out there then

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

We get the damn point.
Do ya now?

I think his point is that Kaktus is wrong and not only is a save percentage of .908 passable, it was the percentage of last year's stanley cup winning goalie. The fact that it was MAF was not critical to the point.

I am aware that we are only supposed to criticize arguments and posts, and not the individual that made them. But at some point you are your body of work. If you are on record over and over again saying retarded things, then you're probably retarded. The same way I am sure that Wolfy is a creepy stalker, Kaktus is indeed retarded.

Emery did everything you could have reasonably expected him to when he signed here. He got hurt. It happens. I'm not a fan of his but god damn it, give the man his due. When he was healthy he got it done, when he wasn't he tried to fight through it. You can't ask someone for more than their best effort and I think we got that. His best effort wasn't too bad either.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 03-01-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I suppose broad one-liners aren't the smartest things to throw out there then
Do you seriously want to compare MAF to Emery? I thought you were kidding.. Bummer..
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Do ya now?

I think his point is that Kaktus is wrong and not only is a save percentage of .908 passable, it was the percentage of last year's stanley cup winning goalie. The fact that it was MAF was not critical to the point.
this gets better.. Apparently he was not alone..

MAF was not a critical to the point statement makes no sense but whatever..

Old
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588
Maybe unrelated to the Flyers, but appears the Preds have imminent news --

http://twitter.com/NHLPredsInsider

Quote:
We got action - announcement coming shortly.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
How can anyone say this..
imo Emery was outplayed by a goalie that was waived by one of the worse teams in the league. Take a minute to think about it. I mean Leighton came in and had the same or better % then Emery, he is making less and he is healthy. Am I making this **** up?

I know, I know.. but he was injured argument and when he was healthy he was good.
Apparently everyone besides you is saying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Some one told me he was a jerk at the carnival too. Not sure if it was here, or if someone actually said it to me. From watching the event, when they got him in front of the camera, it looked like he'd rather be anywhere else.
Meh. People are on record with saying that Emery is a quiet guy, almost shy. People like that tend to not like to be in front of cameras or carnivals for that matter. I can't remember many times this year where he did look comfortable in front of the camera, regardless of where he and the camera were.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
GP 20, GAA 2.26, SV% .907

Guess who?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Maybe unrelated to the Flyers, but appears the Preds have imminent news --

http://twitter.com/NHLPredsInsider
Nice one, trades have been disappointing so far with everyone expecting a flurry.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...24/2196/SPORTS

No mention of any Flyers' players but there is a column involving some possible names heading to Nashville.

Quote:
What do the Predators need most?

This is the first step, since the more moves you make, the more you have to surrender.

Is it vital that the Predators add some offensive depth, considering that they have been spotty in goal-scoring at times, have the league's 24th-ranked power play and will be relying on some aging veterans during a compressed schedule?

Or is someone who can boost the penalty kill and aid in the faceoff circle even more of a priority, considering that the penalty kill — normally a Nashville strength — is currently ranked 24th and that the Predators are ranked 20th in face-off percentage?

Quote:
What are they willing to give up?

The bigger the fish Nashville seeks at the deadline, the bigger the bait that has to be used.

Logic dictates that the Predators might dangle defenseman Dan Hamhuis or goalie Dan Ellis, because both players are potential unrestricted free agents unlikely to be re-signed, at least not at current asking prices.

But trading Hamhuis, who has the team's third-highest ice time, would be a big blow to a young defensive corps, especially given the fact that blueliners Ryan Suter and Shea Weber logged so many minutes at the Olympics.

Poile has said that if he trades Hamhuis, he would need to bring in another veteran defenseman. So is it wiser to hold on to Hamhuis for a playoff run, and then try to trade him after the season? Or let him walk?

As for Ellis, he was arguably the better of Nashville's two goalies in games leading up to the break, and with 17 games in 29 days in March, the Predators have said they believe that keeping two good goalies might be an advantage.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote