HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gold Medal Game | USA vs Canada 2/28/10 | NBC 3PM ET / 12PM PST

Old
03-01-2010, 04:07 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

http://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/9830565196
Quote:
Ron Wilson to Phil Kessel at Leafs practice: "Hi Phil, how you been? Haven't seen you in two weeks."
Wow, that's hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
An amazing game and an awesome tournament. I'm not sorry that the U.S. lost the gold medal game, I'm just sorry that Olympic hockey is over. The NHL, and especially the Rangers, pales in comparison.

Also, this tournament definitely opened my eyes to several players. I have always loved Parise, so no surprises there. But damn was I impressed by Suter and Kesler.

Suter is the player that we all hope Marc Staal can become. Poised with the puck, great first pass, capable on the PP point, mobile, physical. Just awesome.

Kesler is Ryan Callahan with hands. I don't think there needs to be anymore explanation on why I love him after that.
What is a bit 'annoying' is now I see why most fans of other teams think we overvalue Staal. We act as if he is a Doughty, EJ, Suter but after seeing these guys... Sure he is our stud D-man, but when 'our' team had other stud D-men to watch like Team USA, it opens your eyes. Then again, defensively, not much bad to say about Staal other than physicality, but these guys have it all. Defensive game, Offensive game, throwing hits.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Fletch

I agreee Synergy, sort of...the hockey we got to see was world class. It was a collection of All Star teams that were playing a game they actually cared about and wanted to win, unlike other All Star games. There was a sense of urgency and the flow of some of the games was amazing. It seemed as though 6-7 minutes would tick off without a whistle. It just kept coming. And I think this was posted elsewhere which is you always come away with some new favorite players - guys you know, have seen, but never seen and rooted for and you really get to appreciate other players from around the league. I mean who isn't a Ryan Kesler fan now? Who doesn't think Patrick Kane has wheels? Who didn't notice that Parise has a great wrist shot? I can't really say the same about Ryan Miller because it always had seemed to me that he stands on his head. A great two weeks - now we get to watch the Rangers. I hope Cally and Drury bring some of their experience back - or Ollie got some confidence, and that Lundqvist has some gas left.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I saw this on Darren Dreger's twitter and got disgusted: "If the Americans win, they'll probably make another movie about so we don't want to see that happen,"said Robyn Regehr

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I saw this on Darren Dreger's twitter and got disgusted: "If the Americans win, they'll probably make another movie about so we don't want to see that happen,"said Robyn Regehr
Yeah, that vexed me as well.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:40 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
In all fairness, I wouldn't want to see that movie either.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Pizza

I thought "Miracle" was an excellent movie.

And in all fairness, the Canadians can be pretty fricking arrogant. For a country & culture with such a huge investment in the sport to have now won the Olympic Gold only twice in the last fifty years is not terribly impressive.

That's the same number of hockey Gold as the U.S. and Sweden have in the same period.

.....and they needed overtime and a frenzied home crowd to help drag it through the door by a hair.

So imo Regehr's comments demonstrate that the Canadians could use a lesson or two in humility. Not terribly surprising since a lot of Canadians spout the same dross regarding their supposed hockey pedigree.

I feel we stand a good chance of being the tutor over the next decade or so.

But for now congrats Canada. Se ya next time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
thewaitingisover

saw this and thought it was pretty funny:

Canada: barely better than the USA at their national sport.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
I have to stay off the main board threads.

The Canadian A-hole meter is redlining.

haha how do you think I got my infraction?

No main board threads for a foreseeable future.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:04 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I thought "Miracle" was an excellent movie.

And in all fairness, the Canadians can be pretty fricking arrogant. For a country & culture with such a huge investment in the sport to have now won the Olympic Gold only twice in the last fifty years is not terribly impressive.

That's the same number of hockey Gold as the U.S. and Sweden have in the same period.

.....and they needed overtime and a frenzied home crowd to help drag it through the door by a hair.

So imo Regehr's comments demonstrate that the Canadians could use a lesson or two in humility. Not terribly surprising since a lot of Canadians spout the same dross regarding their supposed hockey pedigree.

I feel we stand a good chance of being the tutor over the next decade or so.

But for now congrats Canada. Se ya next time.
Pretty much agree with everything you said.

What I don't understand is Canada's extreme possessiveness over the sport, i.e., "hockey is OURS!" It's almost as if some Canadians don't want other nationalities to play or watch hockey.

Baseball was invented in America and is known as "America's pastime," but the sport is largely international now. I have never heard any American baseball fan say "baseball is OUR sport," not at the WBC's, not at the Olympics, not ever. It doesn't bother me that players from Japan and Latin America excel at the sport. But Canadians get extremely offended at the notion that fans from other countries are passionate about hockey, and that these countries are capable of producing hockey talent.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Pizza

I don't want to say "it's all they have" Cap. That would be extreme. But they do tend to over weight the hockey portion of the Canadian cultural portfolio at times.

Some of the things said by Canadians regarding hockey and their "ownership" of it seem to re-enforce a certain stereotype. Not negative really imo, just kind of goofy and juvenile.

No doubt though I love Canadians and Canada. Gorgeous women that will drink you under a table. Fantastic out door activity. Cosmo cities with lots of cultural pursuits

....and a country completely wacky over hockey. You could do worse for neighbors.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote