HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Exercise/Workout Thread

Old
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Silly as in its too easy for you? You dont think the moves work well? Or that the moves themselves are just goofy?
silly as in hard as ****. I feel it alot in my upper thighs however. I did it on tuesday and im still pretty sore.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I guess I'm on about day 10 or so now...things are going pretty well so far. I dread plyo...my leg strength sucks, and I've always hated squats and all that type of ****. But at the same time I realize that I need to stop being such a *****, and maybe if my legs were stronger I wouldn't hate squats and all that so much. And getting better at all this p90x squatting/plyo should be very helpful for when I get back to the gym with a serious squat routine...and it should help with skating of course too.

I'm down with the yoga now, because I can already tell I actually am becoming more flexible, which I'm excited about as I'm pretty damn inflexible normally.

And this morning, I was excited as hell, cuz I did the ab ripper for maybe the 4th or 5th time, and I suddenly was much better at it. I've gotten a little better each time, but today was a huge improvement. I was killing it, didn't miss many reps at all. And the one thing, that was the only move I couldn't do, I could actually do today. It was shocking and exciting, haha. It's that one where you get on your side, and do those things that make a V with your body. However, there was something different today, and it was the fact that I didn't wear my sneaks. That probably shouldn't make a huge difference, but it must have contributed. There are so many of the moves that hurt my legs/thighs more than they do my abs. And having that bit of weight of my shoes off my feet felt so much better. I guess if I get really good, I'll have to go back to wearing the sneaks to make it harder.

On the nutrition side....I've gained almost two pounds, so the diet seems to be working pretty well. Can't really hope to gain more than 1-2 lbs per week. And for anyone looking to save some dough on fruits and veggies, I definitely have to recommend Produce Junction. The prices and amount of **** you get is just insane. I can spend around 10 bucks and get stuff that would literally cost me around 40 bucks or more at the grocery store. I used to go there, but stopped going, because I always had such an excess of stuff that would go bad it was just silly. But now that I'm eating that stuff as often as I should be it works out great. Some people have told me they've gotten some sketchy stuff from theirs...but everything I've been getting from the one in Exton has been great. I've been eating pears, macintosh apples, bananas, broccoli, yams, and yukon potatoes like they're going out of style.

Oh yeah, also made turkey jerky at home and it came out awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/allthewhey/wheyprotein.html

$35 for a 5 pound tub. 80 servings compared to the 74 servings with ON. If you are interested I can give you a promo code that gets 10% off your order which takes it to $31.50 plus shipping. I forget what the exact shipping price is but the total would be roughly $37 shipped. Super fast shipping too. If you order it Monday Before 3-4pm and it will be at your door Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Check it out...looks like this is an even better deal...
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/a...lend-5-lb.html
I believe it says free shipping on orders of $75 or more. So you're under 90 bucks if you buy 3 of them, and free shipping. That's a great deal...and the thread I found that link in had people saying that place had it on sale before for $24.99...hopefully they do that again.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I haven't been following it strictly, but still doing it 3-5 times per week minimum, depending on what happens. So far I'm down 5 lbs since Feb 3 (184 lbs), I guess that's pretty good, and I'll expect to lose more weight when it gets warmer. Goal is 165-170.

Also, I still ****ing hate pullups.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I think I might hate Legs & Back more than Plyo. Plyo is tons of legwork, but at least a good amount of it is easy stuff. With Legs & Back, there isn't as much legwork, but almost all of it is pretty damn brutal for me. I don't mind all the pull-ups...it's a relief when they come.

I said in my post yesterday that I had done abs, but I meant the day before...yesterday was yoga. Today was Legs & Back, and Abs. I've realized that Abs are much harder on this day as my legs are totally beat going into it. Also, I'm really not crazy at all about the fact that the last 15-20 mins of the day before in yoga is targeting your Abs. So you're basically doing Abs 3 days in a row, no rest. That doesn't seem very beneficial to me. I can handle it fine, I just worry that working the abs hard on that yoga day might be detrimental. I like the every other day routine, and giving the muscles rest in between. I guess it's not as important for muscles that are being toned rather than loaded with heavy weight for muscle building, but still...I don't like it. And I guess I'm supposed to not worry about it as Tony Horton and the Beachbody people should know more about the subject than me. But **** em, I'm skeptical dammit.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Ha. Legs and back starts it off soooo good too with the chair lunges right? right?

balls.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
JSTAFF

Tuesday - ab ripper X.
Friday - my abs still slightly hurt.

Granted I did squats and deadlifts very heavy on Wednesday, but still.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I think I might hate Legs & Back more than Plyo. Plyo is tons of legwork, but at least a good amount of it is easy stuff. With Legs & Back, there isn't as much legwork, but almost all of it is pretty damn brutal for me. I don't mind all the pull-ups...it's a relief when they come.
See legs don't bother me, hockey for the past 4 years have built up my lower body for me. My upper body sucks though, so pullups are atrocious.

Old
02-26-2010, 02:12 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

I have no place to put an actual pull up bar, so I have to settle for Bands and a door jam. Which ****ing sucks, because its absolutely nothing like a pull up.

Old
02-26-2010, 02:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I have no place to put an actual pull up bar, so I have to settle for Bands and a door jam. Which ****ing sucks, because its absolutely nothing like a pull up.
Iron Gym? It's 30 bucks at Modells and is fairly decent. The place I'm renting is fairly old and even the door frames hold up enough.

Old
02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Iron Gym? It's 30 bucks at Modells and is fairly decent. The place I'm renting is fairly old and even the door frames hold up enough.
Yeah, i have one of those, but the apartment Im in has like, these abnormally large door frames and you cant fit the thing around it. Whatevs, I make due.

Old
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Got a question for you kind fitness junkies. Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to fitness stuff so I might as well ask.

Can being underweight or severely underweight (depending on your definition of it) severely limit your arm strength or just strength in general? I'm about fourty pounds underweight. 6' 4" and 162 (and that's after gaining about 18 pounds) and I can't even bench 90 or 80 pounds.

Just wondering whether it's a case of me not having enough muscle or me being severely underweight. I've been trying to gain weight for a long time now, but I've hit a wall at around 162 for a couple months now.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Got a question for you kind fitness junkies. Probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to fitness stuff so I might as well ask.

Can being underweight or severely underweight (depending on your definition of it) severely limit your arm strength or just strength in general? I'm about fourty pounds underweight. 6' 4" and 162 (and that's after gaining about 18 pounds) and I can't even bench 90 or 80 pounds.

Just wondering whether it's a case of me not having enough muscle or me being severely underweight. I've been trying to gain weight for a long time now, but I've hit a wall at around 162 for a couple months now.
its likely just a lack of strength coupled by the fact that you are lanky and thus not made to bench. little short guys make the best benchers as their bodies are built for it.

as long as you are not a teen you should be able to fill out your frame no problem by increasing your food intake. i used to be tiny for the longest time as a teen. i graduated high school at 120lbs because i couldnt put on any weight... im 5'11. i know all about being skinny as ****. ive since filled out to 175. just eat more, but keep it healthy. you will find you will be able to lift ALOT more as you put on some weight

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
its likely just a lack of strength coupled by the fact that you are lanky and thus not made to bench. little short guys make the best benchers as their bodies are built for it.

as long as you are not a teen you should be able to fill out your frame no problem by increasing your food intake. i used to be tiny for the longest time as a teen. i graduated high school at 120lbs because i couldnt put on any weight... im 5'11. i know all about being skinny as ****. ive since filled out to 175. just eat more, but keep it healthy. you will find you will be able to lift ALOT more as you put on some weight
So no worries then? I know that as I gain weight I need to keep it healthy weight (I.E. not all fat), but as I gain stuff like that should come easy to me, right?

I am a teen. 19 to be exact. What does that have to do with it though? I'm curious as to why you mentioned it as I am having the hardest ****ing time gaining weight. Used to be about sixty pounds underweight, then I gained about 18 very quickly with the help of weight gainer, and now I'm struggling to gain any weight period no matter what I do. I eat everything in sight, I drink weight gainer, but my metabolism is like a rabid hyena on raw meat. I just keep fluctuating down and up a few pounds.

I'm worried about that and some exercises not coming to me as easily as they should. I struggle with stuff like pushups and benching, but I wonder how much of that is just the fact that I'm very underweight and haven't filled out my frame at all.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:28 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

The best playlist for P90x yoga is Brave New World and Dance of Death by Iron maiden. Shuffle up those two albums and its perfect.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:40 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

PS

I was able to hold crane for like, a solid eight seconds before I totally face planted into the floor.

Old
02-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Lab Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
So no worries then? I know that as I gain weight I need to keep it healthy weight (I.E. not all fat), but as I gain stuff like that should come easy to me, right?

I am a teen. 19 to be exact. What does that have to do with it though? I'm curious as to why you mentioned it as I am having the hardest ****ing time gaining weight. Used to be about sixty pounds underweight, then I gained about 18 very quickly with the help of weight gainer, and now I'm struggling to gain any weight period no matter what I do. I eat everything in sight, I drink weight gainer, but my metabolism is like a rabid hyena on raw meat. I just keep fluctuating down and up a few pounds.

I'm worried about that and some exercises not coming to me as easily as they should. I struggle with stuff like pushups and benching, but I wonder how much of that is just the fact that I'm very underweight and haven't filled out my frame at all.
nothing will ever come easy with weight training, but as you fill out you will notice things do come a little easier in upping your maxes. the reason i mentioned the teenage thing is due to the fact that your body works all crazy as a teen. as your hormones and all that **** finally settle in (around 20-22) you will notice a HUGE increase in weight and its just from maintaining the "i need to bulk" mentality. i ate exactly the same when I was 120 as i do now. the only difference is my age. its happened to a bunch of people i know as well. in a couple of years you will just straight up... fill out.

if you want to get yourself into a great position for this, then start a 5 x 5 routine focusing on squats, deads and bench.

all three lifts are severely taxing on your CNS and can shock your body into some great muscle production. all three are also completely based around technique and if you can nail down your technique i can essentially guarantee you will put on 20-50lbs of muscle once your metabolism gets in check.

cheers

Old
02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Garbage Goal, as I mentioned before in this thread, I was always really skinny growing up...I certainly know how it is. My suggestion right now to you is something that I wish someone had suggested to me when I was your age. Go to bodybuilding.com...go to the forums, and start reading. For starters, you could go to the "Post your pictures" section, and scan through some of them...there's one sticky that's called "From skinny to mass" or something like that. It's incredibly inspiring. After that, get reading...and read, and read, and read...search button, search button, search button. Just about any question you might have has likely already been discussed many times. And if you look hard enough, I'm willing to bet you'll find some dudes that fit your same profile and achieved what you want to achieve. There is such a ridiculous wealth of information on that site. Are there some **********? Yes. Are there some insanely knowledgeable people? YES. I'm not even registered on there myself, just reading is enough for me...I started visiting it a little over a month ago and have learned a ton just in that short time.

And to be clear...do I have any interest in becoming a bodybuilder? None whatsoever. But, if I want to understand more about building muscle and eating right, where better to go than a place where tons of people know how to do those things better than anyone. And rest assured, once you spend some time on there you'll realize that the majority of the people on there are very serious about being "natural"...it's not just a bunch of people who are big because of 'roids or HGH or whatever. Also understand that it's not all bodybuilders on there...there are definitely plenty of them, but there also a lot of regular joes who are just into lifting...and of course there are plenty of novices posting their questions as well.

And the most important thing I've learned since going on that site...and the thing that is most motivating about it, is the tons of people on there who have transformed themselves...like in that thread I referenced before. I've spent most of my life believing that for a lot of people it was just virtually impossible to put on weight...and also believed that it was virtually impossible for a lot of other people to lose weight. I've always believed it was sooo much about genetics. And while genetics certainly play a role, the fact is, what I used to think isn't anywhere close to true. I imagine that you are actually very capable of putting on size, just as I am. It may take some effort and dedication...but how many positive things in your life don't?

And of course, I'm sure bodybuilding.com isn't the only place that could help you figure things out...I just mention it because it's one place I know definitely can. But no matter what you do, if you're serious about attempting to gain some weight, it's important for you to become very knowledgeable on the subject. Because as my favorite Hunter Thompson quote goes, "If there's anything worth doing, it's worth doing right."

edit:
Quote:
PS

I was able to hold crane for like, a solid eight seconds before I totally face planted into the floor.
Liar!

Last edited by claude boivin lives: 02-27-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old
02-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Lab Monkey

to add on to what claude said, if you want a great site to lurk at for functional strength tips (and I mean this in no disrespect to the bodybuilding.com guys) check out sherdog.net and go to their strength and conditioning section. just note that they do not take kindly to anyone looking to get "beach muscles", but if you want crazy functional strength I have never been to ANY site with better posters on that subject.

Old
02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
nothing will ever come easy with weight training, but as you fill out you will notice things do come a little easier in upping your maxes. the reason i mentioned the teenage thing is due to the fact that your body works all crazy as a teen. as your hormones and all that **** finally settle in (around 20-22) you will notice a HUGE increase in weight and its just from maintaining the "i need to bulk" mentality. i ate exactly the same when I was 120 as i do now. the only difference is my age. its happened to a bunch of people i know as well. in a couple of years you will just straight up... fill out.
To add on to this, I feel like I should just point out that guys don't get muscularly mature until they're like 30. Until you get there, Garbage Goal, you're going to notice your body going all over the place.

To give you my own example, I'm also 6'4". I've always kept pretty active but never really get into much of a workout routine other than just playing sports and pickup games and stuff. I was probably about 200 lbs. when I graduated high school. Ballooned up to 225 or so by sophomore year, mostly a gain in fat. At that point, I started to watch what I ate just a little bit and started to get just a bit more active and dropped down to 185 (almost all fat loss) by senior year - age 21. Since then, I've kept the same rough level of activity and food intake and my body seems to have magically developed 20 pounds of muscle by age 24 (or maybe 15 muscle and 5 fat).

Everyone is going to be different in some respects, but it's pretty much universal that, as a guy, your body's muscular structure is going to drastically change between your late teens and mid/late twenties. As long as you keep eating enough and stay active, you're probably going to bulk up over the next five years or so just based on the way the human body ages.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:00 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
PS

Better than my two attempts. Both attempts were "**** that" and then promptly went down into Child's Pose.

Another note: Do not do a P90X workout in the morning and play hockey that night. My body hurts in numerous places at the moment.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

So Im pretty close to being able to flex my ****. I can do it, but I havent mastered complete control like that one super jacked black dude in all the B level comedies.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:29 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

T**s is censored... so I guess meant pecks.........

Old
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
So Im pretty close to being able to flex my ****. I can do it, but I havent mastered complete control like that one super jacked black dude in all the B level comedies.
I don't understand why people can't do this. I've been able to do it for as long as I can remember and I don't work them out at all. Do I just have freakishly large pecs?

Old
03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I don't understand why people can't do this. I've been able to do it for as long as I can remember and I don't work them out at all. Do I just have freakishly large pecs?
yes?

Old
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
yes?
Fair enough.