HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline, UFAs, RFAs and more - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
How much do you think Hamhuis wants on a new deal?

I would give him 3.25

Old
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
How much do you think Hamhuis wants on a new deal?

I would give him 3.25
We can't afford him regardless.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
You can if you sacrifice one of Coburn/Carle in the process.

Old
HoverCarle*

Quote:
I would trade Carle and keep Hamhuis in the off season

We don't need Carle as a pure offensive d man with Pronger and Timonen. Hamhuis will play a good 2 way game

Old
Schenn10

We can if some money is going the other way.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Just for reference (the last two days):

Syvret waived (+0.58m)
Cote waived (+0.55m)
Emery LTIR (+1.50m)
Parent unLTIR (-0.86m)

Net: +1.77m added to whatever we had before.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
bennysflyers16

Hartnell,Boosh for Ellis, Hamhuis, Draft pick
then trade for Torres to replace Harts this year and then have some cap relief in the summer !

Old
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Talbetts

Hartnell pisses me off as much as the next guy, but I dont think Raffi Torres would be an ideal replacement. Now, If we went after Owen Nolan too....I may be ok with this scenario.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is we really need a RW and if we shed Hartnell in a deal like this, we DEFINITELY need to find a Top 9 guy. Then, you have to think about what it would take and if you are making a whole elsewhere.

Homer has his work cut out for him!

Old
03-01-2010, 05:43 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Hartnell pisses me off as much as the next guy, but I dont think Raffi Torres would be an ideal replacement. Now, If we went after Owen Nolan too....I may be ok with this scenario.
Sure, Nolan works too. I just like Hamhuis and having 4.2 mill off the books this summer ( Harts )

Old
03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Talbetts

My priorities if I was Homer right now
G:
VOKOUN
Ellis
Halak

F:
the best top 9 we could find, hopefully someone gritty
Nolan
Bertuzzi
Poni
Torres
not sure who else is available

D would not be the biggest need, but if we need to fill for Coburn or Carle being moved:
Volchenkov
Hamhuis
maybe Corvo or Coliacooovoovovoovo

Old
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
billandsebastian

Quote:
Grebs is a replacement for Hamhuis perhaps?

Hard to see NSH holding onto all 4 of those guys unless they think they can make a run this year.
Well they are currently in 7th. When you consider that the Kings and Yotes are in there too with a bunch of young guys and no playoff experience, they might actually be thinking about trying to make a run.

Not sure how much this is related, but I saw a post earlier (I think on Puck Daddy) that said so far the Preds have the largest post-Olympics bump in ticket sales (around 10%). Might be some added financial incentive for them to try and go deep in the playoffs as they could certainly use the money.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You can if you sacrifice one of Coburn/Carle in the process.
I think Hamhuis would cost at least 3, so it'd basically be Carle because I don't think Coburn would be making that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I would trade Carle and keep Hamhuis in the off season

We don't need Carle as a pure offensive d man with Pronger and Timonen. Hamhuis will play a good 2 way game
See, I think Carle is a nice fit for us. Guy has a little offensive upside and while he has a couple weaknesses defensively, I think he did a nice job last year with Coburn (who was bad then too) and has done really well with Pronger as you'd expect.

The thing is that while we have nice offensive balance on our blue line now, if we got rid Carle and 1 of Pronger/Kimmo got hurt, then we got some problems in my opinion.

Carle is a nice No.3 guy signed at a reasonable rate through next season and he has the nice chemistry with Pronger, I wouldn't get rid of him right now.

If Hamhuis is really willing to accept a 2.0-2.5 deal (which I seriously doubt), then I'd look at dealing Coburn and keeping Hamhuis, but I think Carle has done enough to keep his spot here.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't understand the love affair people have with Coburn. He's nothing more than Therrien 2.0. Big guy, has the skill, but not the toolbox to put everything together. You get stretches of fantastic play out of Coburn, but the moment you think he's going to round the corner and be that guy who gives you consistent fantastic play, he goes completely off the deep end and gives you crappy play for an extended period of time. The highs and lows with Coburn have been going on for over two years now. Carle's game has come around completely and he's been light years ahead of where Coburn should be by now. It's time to move Braydon Coburn and get what we can for him because teams are still going to be tantalized by the potential. We've seen it for two years now and it's not going to change anytime soon.

The guy has become nothing more than a 3rd pairing defenseman. He can't handle a role on one of the top two pairs and yet, every time a trade is mentioned, people continue to want to hold on to Coburn. Send the bum packing and fleece some other team who is willing to give up goods to acquire him.

EDIT: Here's my idea for a deal with Nashville

To Nashville: Coburn, Parent, Bourdon, 4th in 2011
To Philadelphia: Ellis, Hamhuis, Franson

Old
03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
To Nashville: Coburn, Parent, Bourdon, 4th in 2011
To Philadelphia: Ellis, Hamhuis, Franson
Coburn >= Franson
Parent >=< Franson
Bourdon =< Franson
Ellis = UFA
Hamhuis = UFA

AND we toss in a 4th in 2011 for no freaking reason.

Franson is not good enough to give up three defensemen who could eventually be as valuable if they're not more valuable already. Ellis is a UFA and Hamhuis is a UFA. They get a 4th on top of that?

NO.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

honestly, i'd rather try and get cory schneider from vancouver, especially if were getting rid of parent.
the flyers have consistently tried to plug cheap borderline starters into the net for years, and i cant remember the last time we actually had a young and highly touted netminder playing for us (this is, obviously, not news to anyone reading this).
cory schneider has the potential (key word) to be a damned good number 1 goaltender. he hasn't done THAT well in vancouver, BUT goaltenders are strange creatures and very often flourish with a change of scenery and a new oppurtunity. we should get him and give him the oppurtunity he needs in hopes that he can become the bonafide starter everyone knows the flyers have needed since hextall left.

on another note, im all for dan hamuis.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:18 PM
mercury

Hartnell, Parent, and Boosh for Hamhuis, Ellis, and Ryan Jones/Marcel Goc. Re-sign Hamhuis for ~$3 million a year, let Coburn walk in RFA, and bring up one of Marshall/Bourdon.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Coburn >= Franson
Parent >=< Franson
Bourdon =< Franson
Ellis = UFA
Hamhuis = UFA

Franson is not good enough to give up three defensemen who could eventually be as valuable if they're not more valuable already. Ellis is a UFA and Hamhuis is a UFA. They get a 4th on top of that?

NO.
UFA = 0 value? Not at all.

Hamhuis>= Coburn Value wise I'd say its close since Coburn is an RFA versus UFA for Hamhuis. In terms of on ice performance it's probably close.

Ellis < Parent but only because of the cost certainty of Parent versus Ellis's UFA status. I think The Flyers need for a goalie off sets that. As much as we love Parent, he isn't an established defenseman or anything, and he just had disc surgery. Backs are never the same after slipped discs.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Haute Couturier

Frank Seravalli responded to someone on twitter saying he hasn't heard anything about Ellis to Philly.

Quote:
@2jonjacob No word. I haven't heard Ellis to Philly at all, I'm not sold he is a long-term starter, either.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Hartnell, Parent, and Boosh for Hamhuis, Ellis, and Ryan Jones/Marcel Goc. Re-sign Hamhuis for ~$3 million a year, let Coburn walk in RFA, and bring up one of Marshall/Bourdon.
I'd do it. Goc is sick.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd do it. Goc is sick.
Not really. He'd be redundant on this team. We already have Betts. We don't need anymore bottom 6 players unless they could contribute offensively on the 3rd line.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Coburn >= Franson
Parent >=< Franson
Bourdon =< Franson
Ellis = UFA
Hamhuis = UFA

NO.
My reasoning for the deal is simple. There is no way that Holmgren will let Ellis and Hamhuis walk at the end of the year. He'll find a way to fit them in under the cap. If it means moving a Gagne or a Hartnell along with a few other pieces here and there to make things work, I think he does it. On top of that, Franson is a good young defenseman who is also 6'5 beast who isn't afraid to use his size. Playing behind a Pronger would be ideal because he'd know how to use his size more effectively. Franson is also a guy who performed well at the minor pro level and was seasoned there. I'd say he becomes what we expected Coburn to become.

Honestly, getting rid of Coburn, and getting a guy like Hamhuis who could really solidify the top four and moving Krajicek back to the fifth spot would be exactly what this team needs. For all the talk of moving Carle, he's been an ideal number 3 guy. You acquire a guy like Hamhuis, it moves Carle back to the 4, Hamhuis becomes the number 3 and that top 4 looks much, much, much better. Coburn has already shown he's unable to handle a spot in the top 4 and that his best position is being relegated to the bottom pairing. Krajicek has shown more in the past few games he's been here than Coburn has shown in almost two years. I'd feel more comfortable with Krajicek on the bottom pairing with Bartulis. Add in Franson to the mix and we've got the seven defenders we need for a good playoff run.

I guess that's just me though.....

Old
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
billandsebastian

More fuel for the fire from Dreger's twitter:

Quote:
There is no question the Flyers have had discussions with Nashville regarding Dan Hamhuis. A young d-man is the asking price...likely Parent

Old
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Parent came off the IR today.

I would rather grab Ryan Jones than Goc if forwards are involved. He's young, and we could slot him in next to JVR and Giroux.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Let's be honest with ourselves. Ellis may be better than what we have this year, but is he really the guy we want long term? Isn't he basically another Esche? If they want to go after Hamhuis and Ellis for this year, fine. If they can resign Hamhuis, great. But Ellis is not the answer long term for this team.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Not really. He'd be redundant on this team. We already have Betts. We don't need anymore bottom 6 players unless they could contribute offensively on the 3rd line.
I'd be OK with a 3rd line of Jones-Powe-Asham or Powe-Goc-Asham, if we are upgrading to Hamhuis on D and Ellis in net.

Closed Thread