HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

per Dreger: Grebeshkov to NAS for 2nd round pick

Old
03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
per Dreger: Grebeshkov to NAS for 2nd round pick

www.tsn.ca

I like it, and as I was saying in the other thread...sets us up pretty nicely for step two...Hamhuis for scoring\PK help.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
www.tsn.ca

I like it, and as I was saying in the other thread...sets us up pretty nicely for step two...Hamhuis for scoring\PK help.
WOW! This is a great deal IMO. He is a RFA too so if we can't sign him and someone wants him via trade/offer sheet we can probably get equal value to a 2nd rounder back.

A pretty good replacement for Hamhuis. We get a guy who already is playing top 4 minutes. He's having a rough season in EDM but who isn't.

Wow, this came out of left field but I like it. Get a good return for Hamhuis and grab Poni and consider this a great deadline.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
jnewton91

Good pickup by Poile. Considering what 2nd round picks are getting in the market the last week, to nab a top 3 puck-moving dman who isn't an impending a UFA is a good deal.

I'll miss the guy, think you're all in for a pleasant surprise with Grebeshkov.

jnewton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Grebeshkov has been playing like complete and utter **** this year, but anyone aside from Visnovsky has, really.

He was brilliant last year, but seemed to really only excel when he was on a line with Visnovsky. I'm sure you guys will like him.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
This is an amazing pick up, weve just completely replaced Hamhuis for a younger RFA.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok Here's the stats:

Grebeshkov averaged 21:45 total time per game, 2:30 PP time, 2:02 PK time a game in Edmonton. He has 1 power play goal this year and 0 shorthanded. Off year this year. Last year his stats were: 7G 32A 39Pts

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
This is an amazing pick up, weve just completely replaced Hamhuis for a younger RFA.
There's not a significant age difference between the two, though. Hammer is 27, Grebs is 26.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
hatedandproud

The Dan Hamhuis watch has begun...

I hope the change of scenery lets DG get back to last years form.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
You guys got a good D-man.

The guy is a steady D-man when his minutes are kept down. Can move the puck, score points and play D quite well. His issue is brain farts. He has a turn over issue and the brain farts mentioned before result in scoring chances for the opposition.

I think a change of scenery will do him good. You guys got a good deal. He'll be a good #3-4 for you guys.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
There's not a significant age difference between the two, though. Hammer is 27, Grebs is 26.
Well I didnt know Grebeshkov was that old, oh well, I think he will add to his game playing under Trotz.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:28 PM
dulzhok

Pretty good pickup. But the real story will be what, if anything, we get for Hamhuis. Initial signs are good. Let's see what Poile can do.

Everyone always gets excited for 2nd rd picks. We've had, what, 1 in 20 turn into a real NHL Player?

It will look pretty silly if Grebeshkov goes to Russia over the summer, though.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Fenton says "Grebeshkov trade a precursor to a Hamhuis trade...not necessarily..."

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nd-the-future/

Old
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Pretty good pickup. But the real story will be what, if anything, we get for Hamhuis. Initial signs are good.

Everyone always gets excited for 2nd rd picks. We've had, what, 1 in 20 turn into a real NHL Player in our history?
1999 - Adam Hall, Andrew Hutchinson, Jan Lasak
2001 - Timofei Shishkanov
2003 - Kevin Klein, Shea Weber
2007 - Nick Spaling

I also like Budish, Roussel, Josi, and Geoffrion to have NHL careers as well...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Fenton says "Grebeshkov trade a precursor to a Hamhuis trade...not necessarily..."

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...nd-the-future/
Could be interesting if Hamhuis isn't traded. Poni CAN be picked up for picks and Jones.

Here's a funny thing, what if Klein or Franson was traded?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Pretty good pickup. But the real story will be what, if anything, we get for Hamhuis. Initial signs are good. Let's see what Poile can do.

Everyone always gets excited for 2nd rd picks. We've had, what, 1 in 20 turn into a real NHL Player?

It will look pretty silly if Grebeshkov goes to Russia over the summer, though.
4 out of 17 .... Hall (426 NHL games), Hutchinson (Cup with the Canes), Weber (a somewhat serviceable d-man), Klein. With Geoffrion, Smith, Budish, Roussel, Spaling and Josi still developing.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
2007 - Nick Spaling

I'm not as gung ho about this as dulzhok, but some of those examples are suspect. Jan Lasak never won an NHL game, Shishkanov had a brief and uneventful stint with the Blues before going back to Russia, Hutchinson was a borderline seventh defenseman who has spent most of his time as a cup of coffee NHL'er\solid AHL guy. Klein and Weber--duh...and Nick Spaling looks like he could be a good bottom six forward, but he's not quite there yet.

I do like our second round picks in the last two drafts, but you can't really defend our track record. Turning this pick into a proven NHLer is just fine with me.

What's not fine with me is that now Bob McKenzie is corroborating what Darren Dreger has heard...Preds talking to Flyers about Hamhuis with Parent coming back to Nashville, Flyers trying to rearrange salary to make it work(waiving Cote and putting Emery on LTIR).

That would be a very frustrating turn of events, if true, and would basically state that we have zero faith in Sulzer ever being a regular NHLer, and not much more faith in Franson being able to handle a regular NHL shift.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:45 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
2007 - Nick Spaling

Like I said, 1 real NHL player (Weber)

I count a real NHLer as someone who plays most of their career as an NHL regular. I guess you can count Hall, but it's borderline. Klien?

Sure, we've got some potential NHL regulars (Klien, Spaling etc), but I'll believe it when I see it. How many times did we get our hopes up for guys like Shishkanov, Widing, Lasak, only for them to out of the NHL within a couple years?

The standard NHL success rate for 2nd rd pick is about 1 in 10 (players who play most of their career as NHL regulars).

Old
03-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Jarnberg

Not sure I like this move. He is -16 this year in Edmonton. His cap hit is $3,150,000 and he is a RFA after this season. The Predators cannot afford Hamhuis and likely will not be able to afford Grebeshkov, even with his terrible year.

Ok, so say we trade Hamhuis for scoring help. First of all, I don't see Grebeshkov being an upgrade over Hamhuis, even with Hamhuis's "off year". Second, part of trading Hamhuis is dumping his salary for perhaps scoring help. This now limits what we get back in a trade. Not only do we have to deal with real financial issues, but also the cap hit for revenue sharing.

I guess he could be dealt in the offseason at the draft for a pick, effectively making him a rental.

Surely this means that Jones is gone, not that I have a problem with that.

The 2nd I'm not miffed about giving up. We've stocked up pretty well over the last few drafts.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 03-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Not sure I like this move. He is -16 this year in Edmonton. His cap hit is $3,150,000 and he is a RFA after this season. The Predators cannot afford Hamhuis and likely will not be able to afford Grebeshkov, even with his terrible year.

He could be dealt in the offseason at the draft for a pick, effectively making him a rental.
That's not what was b eing said on the Radio in the form of Poile quotes.

Grebs is figuring to come in a million per year cheaper than Hamhuis, and he was being used out of his element in Edmonton on a putrid team. Pair him with Bouillon, let him do his thing offensively, and let him help out our 2nd PP unit.

I like this trade, it's the Hamhuis one I'm now getting worried about.

Old
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

Can move the puck, score points and play D quite well. His issue is brain farts. He has a turn over issue and the brain farts mentioned before result in scoring chances for the opposition.
I'm a Grebs fan.....

His usual game will be WOW.... Look at that move; impressive pass..... Followed by OMG.....

You will usually get two WOW's for every OMG.... Some games it will be four WOW's.....

So long as you have a forward moving back to the point to cover, you'll like Grebeshkov..... Because I suspect his offensive skills will impress you....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

If Weber plays just two more seasons, he can have more NHL games than Hall.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Like I said, 1 real NHL player (Weber)

I count a real NHLer as someone who plays most of their career as an NHL regular. I guess you can count Hall, but it's borderline. Klien?

Sure, we've got some potential NHL regulars (Klien, Spaling etc), but I'll believe it when I see it. How many times did we get our hopes up for guys like Shishkanov, Widing, Lasak, only for them to out of the NHL within a couple years?

The standard NHL success rate for 2nd rd pick is about 1 in 10 (players who play most of their career as NHL regulars).
Klein is a regular and will be for us the next 3 years. Weber is an elite defenseman. The staff is extremely high on Spaling so even if it's just those three that have made it in the NHL, that's 3 out of 17 which is about 1 in 6 which is still better than the 1 in 10 you're referring to. Hall has played, what, close to 500 games in his career? I'd say that isn't too shabby either.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Grebeshkov will be on 104.5 FM at 6:05 PM CST...Crispy will be on too. Grebs is in a meeting right now with the team.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
hatedandproud

[QUOTE=Stranger;24208695]

I guess he could be dealt in the offseason at the draft for a pick, effectively making him a rental.

QUOTE]

My guess is that he is a rental. This trade was just a move to facilitate a deal with hamhuis.
Now Poile has a vet D-man, allowing him to deal hammy. I don't think Poile will QO Greb more than 3.1 or 3.5, whatever he's getting now, unless Greb just plays absolutely lights out for us, because we have all these D-men waiting to take a spot next season.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Klein is a regular and will be for us the next 3 years. Weber is an elite defenseman. The staff is extremely high on Spaling so even if it's just those three that have made it in the NHL, that's 3 out of 17 which is about 1 in 6 which is still better than the 1 in 10 you're referring to. Hall has played, what, close to 500 games in his career? I'd say that isn't too shabby either.
Klein is also a guy that many feel shouldn't be in the NHL. Just because he's being paid on a one-way deal doesn't mean he's going to be an NHL regular for his entire career. Honestly, this organization has a history of forcing our draft picks into action (see Anderson, Shishkanov, and dare I say, Klein).

Hall is the closest 2nd. He had his run of mediocrity, but is now sitting in the AHL in the prime of his career.

Weber is our only 2nd rd pick that is a for-sure career regular NHLer. We'll see what happens with the rest.

To get back to the point, that's why I don't have a huge problem trading away 2nd round pick. We've got a 1 in 20 chance it'll turn into real NHL player. Even if it turned into a fringe guy like Hall, seriously, we can pick up a guy for league minimum to fill the fringe.