HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

If Bettman Does Not Continue NHL Participation In The Olympics...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
  #101
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
thats their problem. you cant continually profit if you dont build your base
Yes, but it makes more sense to try to grow your base in Nashville or Phoenix than in Asia.

rojac is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
  #102
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Yes, but it makes more sense to try to grow your base in Nashville or Phoenix than in Asia.
Yea and how has that worked lol. The point is that you grow it through the Olympics. Seriously, did you listen to ESPN or Fox Sports radio at all during the olympics? They talked about hockey more than they have probably in the ENTIRE YEAR. The Olympics in 2 weeks have gotten more American radio to talk about hockey than the NHL has then entire year.

CNN, ESPN had hockey on their front page. Probably USA today, NYtimes, etc. too

Again, you cant just say oh the Olympics are in NA lets send them and help grow the game, but not do the same when its being sent around the world.

awesomo is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM
  #103
Reality Check
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,070
vCash: 500
I'd rather bring back the juniors and college kids for the Olympics and not interfere with the NHL season at all.

Reality Check is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
  #104
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
Thing is, it's not popular. Only a select few who are out to lunch and 30 years behind the times still think it's a viable idea when virtually every sport is professional nowadays. Olympics are not for amateurs anymore, get over it. USA gets like 20% of Olympic revenue to fund its athletes, Canada spent over $100 million to "own the podium".

I can see NHL having little incentive from a business standpoint to send their players to Sochi which is a shame. Hockey needs to grow internationally and Olympic tournaments greatly facilitate the sport - the level of success of international soccer probably owes 90% of it to the World Cup. The team owners obviously care little about the sport of hockey (and should rethink why they are even owning a team in the first place if they are strictly in a profit-first mentality - I imagine with their financial resources there are far smarter ways to make money than owning a hockey team) if they aren't willing to sacrifice two weeks of regular season play for the best way to market it globally.

I love hockey, I like the NHL, I watch the games, I buy playoff tickets in the years my team is in it, but I absolutely see no reason why anyone would complain about losing TWO NON-PLAYOFF WEEKS in FOUR YEARS where the absolute best players compete against each other. I'm guessing these people never stepped outside North America and think Africa is a country.
But what does the global marketing get them? Furthermore, I didn't see a lot of NHL or NHL team logos during the Olympics, myself.

And skip the ad hominems, would you? That's just childish.

Unstable is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
  #105
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
I don't understand why people think the NHL should not let its players go to the olympics.

We just witnessed an amazing hockey tournament. A tournament where every game had a great pace, good competition and great entertainment. Did you guys not enjoy these games? Did you not like watching NHL players playing in something different than an average NHL game? Did you not enjoy the sense of pride and determination they showed rather than playing at 75% in an NHL environment?

Honestly, why on earth wouldn't you want to see this tournament every 4 years? I have enjoyed this tournament more than any hockey I have watched in the last 5 years.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
  #106
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
But what does the global marketing get them? Furthermore, I didn't see a lot of NHL or NHL team logos during the Olympics, myself.

And skip the ad hominems, would you? That's just childish.
What you indirectly saw was that NHL players are best in the world and that KHL or SEL or whatever European league players just dont have what it takes. It was indirect marketing of the NHL by NHL players. Broadcaster probably mentioned which team these guys came from.

awesomo is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
  #107
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Yea and how has that worked lol. The point is that you grow it through the Olympics. Seriously, did you listen to ESPN or Fox Sports radio at all during the olympics?
Wrong. The Olympics helps make the never-watched-a-hockey-game person curious enough about the sport to tune into an occasional game on NBC on Sunday afternoon if they happen to be channel surfing at that time, but it won't turn people into zombies who consume nothing but hockey. The limited national TV (and unliklihood of nonhockey fans stumbling across Versus) prevents the Olympics from being a considerable springboard for the sport.

Sure, you can question the choice of expansion markets or the decision to not to simultaneously expand into already strong Canadian hockey markets, but the comparison of national vs. regional hockey TV ratings is confirmation that in the U.S. at least, hockey fans are created by having an NHL team in close proximity.

If the Olympics were so good at converting people into fans, there would be a million 14-year-old short-track speedskaters in the U.S. today.

mrzeigler is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:15 PM
  #108
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
Wrong. The Olympics helps make the never-watched-a-hockey-game person curious enough about the sport to tune into an occasional game on NBC on Sunday afternoon if they happen to be channel surfing at that time, but it won't turn people into zombies who consume nothing but hockey. The limited national TV (and unliklihood of nonhockey fans stumbling across Versus) prevents the Olympics from being a considerable springboard for the sport.

Sure, you can question the choice of expansion markets or the decision to not to simultaneously expand into already strong Canadian hockey markets, but the comparison of national vs. regional hockey TV ratings is confirmation that in the U.S. at least, hockey fans are created by having an NHL team in close proximity.

If the Olympics were so good at converting people into fans, there would be a million 14-year-old short-track speedskaters in the U.S. today.
You dont convert, you build awareness (which is basically what you are saying in your first paragraph i guess). The Olympics by itself cant turn people over to hockey, youre right. The NHL has to do a better job at getting it on TV other than Versus. People dont really like ESPN (from what ive heard), but its one of the major sport stations in the US, and its important for the NHL to eventually get back on with ESPN

awesomo is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
  #109
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13
 
mrzeigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
You dont convert, you build awareness (which is basically what you are saying in your first paragraph i guess). The Olympics by itself cant turn people over to hockey, youre right. The NHL has to do a better job at getting it on TV other than Versus. People dont really like ESPN (from what ive heard), but its one of the major sport stations in the US, and its important for the NHL to eventually get back on with ESPN
I think most people in this thread can agree that there's no one solution to grow the game in America. Certainly, Olympic participation helps, but it's just one element. A legitimate national TV contract is another. Another "Miracle" moment would help, as would a prolonged stretch of on-ice success in a couple more expansion markets.

I don't argue that the Olympics doesn't help the NHL to some degree. It certainly does. But I don't think the NHL gets enough in return for what it provides to the IOC and NBC. Maybe the NHL doesn't have enough clout to demand an equal return, but having players speak of mutiny for Sochi weakens any position the NHL might take that would ultimately benefit it and its players.

Selfishly, I hope the NHL participates in 2014, because I'm considering going ... and even if I don't go, I plan to watch. But for the good of the league, it would be best if it could negotiate more exposure (either during the Olympics itself or of NHL on NBC broadcasts outside of the games) from the U.S. network involved.

mrzeigler is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
  #110
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
I think most people in this thread can agree that there's no one solution to grow the game in America. Certainly, Olympic participation helps, but it's just one element. A legitimate national TV contract is another. Another "Miracle" moment would help, as would a prolonged stretch of on-ice success in a couple more expansion markets.

I don't argue that the Olympics doesn't help the NHL to some degree. It certainly does. But I don't think the NHL gets enough in return for what it provides to the IOC and NBC. Maybe the NHL doesn't have enough clout to demand an equal return, but having players speak of mutiny for Sochi weakens any position the NHL might take that would ultimately benefit it and its players.

Selfishly, I hope the NHL participates in 2014, because I'm considering going ... and even if I don't go, I plan to watch. But for the good of the league, it would be best if it could negotiate more exposure (either during the Olympics itself or of NHL on NBC broadcasts outside of the games) from the U.S. network involved.
You googled Sochi didnt you lol

I pretty much agree with what youre saying, and i also hope they go. The question is: how far is Ovechkin willing to go (if the NHL doesnt allow players to play) to PLAY at the games?

awesomo is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:45 PM
  #111
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
If Bettman doesn't continue NHL participation in the Olympics, we're going to see a mass exodus of European players, and that would not be a good thing for the league at all.

Lux Aurumque* is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
  #112
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
If Bettman doesn't continue NHL participation in the Olympics, we're going to see a mass exodus of European players, and that would not be a good thing for the league at all.
I dont think so. At worst it would be some Russian players. But i think this occurrence would be highly unlikely. They wouldnt walk away from millions of dollars.

awesomo is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
  #113
Dudeinator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Gary Bettman, whether we like him or not, does bring up some valid points when he claims that the NHL will need to decide whether going to the Olympics is beneficial to the league.

There is no doubt that the NHL benefits from having the games played in North America, where the media devours Olympic ice hockey (yes, even the American media), there is a very irrelevant time difference, and fans have the opportunity to actually witness the games live.

The truth is, for many Americans with jobs, especially 9-5 jobs, the Sochi Olympics are going to be similar to the Torino Olympics; "GO USA! I'll catch the highlights online." Bettman knows this, and he also knows the sport grows most when Americans are watching it. I can honestly tell you that I watched far more of Team Canada than I did of Team USA (live) during these Olympics because the US was playing at noon, and that is simply not going to cut it for many of us. Now, imagine what the hell is going to happen in Sochi, which is what amounts to close to a 9-12 hour difference away from North America? I'm guessing Russia will have the same "prime-time" slot Canada got this year, and American/Canadian games are going to be played at random times of the morning, or very late at night. Is it worth shutting down the league for two weeks for games that are going to be very difficult for the average viewer to watch?

The NHL will go to Sochi. But those of you mindlessly spewing crap over Bettman for "debating" the validity of shutting down an entire league for two weeks, especially for games that are going to be played at a very inaccessible time in North America, need to gain some perspective.

God Bless Canada is spot on.
In the '06 Fifa World Cup in Germany, I woke up at 4 in the morning to watch the games, and I don't even follow football.

I think people who wants to watch the hockey games will watch it regardless. As for those who just tune in only if it's primetime, well those people won't stick around to follow the NHL anyway.

Dudeinator is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.