HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ray Emery out for season, (posts #158 and 159) bone graft

Old
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Do you seriously want to compare MAF to Emery? I thought you were kidding.. Bummer..
this gets better.. Apparently he was not alone..

MAF was not a critical to the point statement makes no sense but whatever..
Sigh. We can't all be the sharpest tools in the shed, but at least we can all be tools. I'll spell it out:

It could have been any goaltender for any team in the NHL and if they won the Stanley cup with a save percentage of 90.8%, then he would have posted them as an example of why that is a serviceable save percentage. The fact that it was MAF and the penguins is not critical to the point. It could have been any goalie on any cup winning team.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Nice one, trades have been disappointing so far with everyone expecting a flurry.
Maybe there is another trade but so far this is the deal:

Quote:
Confirmed: Grebeshkov to Nashville for 2nd round draft pick.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Nice one, trades have been disappointing so far with everyone expecting a flurry.
I don't think anyone's really in a rush unless they get what they've targetted.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
I'll spell it out:

It could have been any goaltender for any team in the NHL and if they won the Stanley cup with a save percentage of 90.8%, then he would have posted them as an example of why that is a serviceable save percentage. The fact that it was MAF and the penguins is not critical to the point. It could have been any goalie on any cup winning team.
Yes and those "other" goalies can play 50-60 and even 70 games a season. Just a little more then 29.

Those "other" goalies are actually franchise goalies.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
What the hell is with people continuing to post pictures of various Pens players with the Cup?

We get the damn point.
Thank you. I was about to post the same thing. If I wanted to see that ****, I'd go over to the Pens board.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Yes and those "other" goalies can play 50-60 and even 70 games a season. Just a little more then 29.
Not if they have a torn labrum. Although I suppose every other goalie never goes out so they don't have a chance to get injured by going out in the offseason.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
dookie88

Quote:

You have absolutely no idea, do you?
Injuries happen, they happen in every sport. And rarely a player himself is responsible for it.
You are saying Emery is a bad goalie because he's got injured?
My goodness.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Maybe there is another trade but so far this is the deal:
Tees up the Hamhuis deal IMO.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Tees up the Hamhuis deal IMO.
This is from the column in the Nashville newspaper from before the Denis Grebeshkov acquisition:

Quote:
Poile has said that if he trades Hamhuis, he would need to bring in another veteran defenseman. So is it wiser to hold on to Hamhuis for a playoff run, and then try to trade him after the season? Or let him walk?
That could very well mean another trade is on the horizon.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

So now your beef with him isn't his save percentage (even though he played with a serious injury for a long stretch), it is that he isn't a franchise goalie? Well hell, there's about 12-15 goalies in the world who are up to your standards then.

Ray emery's 06-07 season

58 games played 91.8 save percentage.

There are maybe four guys in the NHL who should be getting 70 starts a year IMO (Luongo, Lundqvist and maybe Miller, <=30 years old and premier goalies). Kipper and Brodeur still do it. I think they'd both be better off if they didn't have to, but neither of those guys have serviceable back ups.

Question: was Martin Brodeur a bad goalie last year because he tore his bicep off the bone and couldn't play, or was he still a hall of famer that just....you know....got injured?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Snevik

Quote:
How can anyone say this..
imo Emery was outplayed by a goalie that was waived by one of the worse teams in the league. Take a minute to think about it. I mean Leighton came in and had the same or better % then Emery, he is making less and he is healthy. Am I making this **** up?

I know, I know.. but he was injured argument and when he was healthy he was good.
not just when he was healthy. you know who has a better even-strength save percentage and played more agmes than emery this year in the eastern conference? vokoun, rask, halak, miller.

that's it. that's the entire list.

Snevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Kaktus*

My beef is that our GM got goalie with a bad reputation.

Emery who was given an excellent chance to prove him self played good for about one quater of the season. Thats all it really was. 20 good games
He was probably in a so-so shape and not ready for a long season. He misdiagnosed his own injury and put my favorite team in the hole.

You want to compare this a-hole to MAF, Luongo or any other goalie go right ahead. I am not going to stop you. You want to think that Flyers can actually win a championship with this clown in between the pipes, fine by me.

Hextall and Parent took Flyers somewhere. This clown is just a poser. I do not want to see him or spend a valuable season on him yet again.

I want a real goaltender not this bum.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:

Emery who was given an excellent chance to prove him self played good for about one quater of the season. Thats all it really was. 20 good games
He was probably in a so-so shape and not ready for a long season. He misdiagnosed his own injury and put my favorite team in the hole.

You want to compare this a-hole to MAF, Luongo or any other goalie go right ahead. I am not going to stop you. You want to think that Flyers can actually win a championship with this clown in between the pipe fine by me.

Hextall and Parent took Flyers somewhere. This clown is just a poser. I do not want to see him or spend a valuable season on him yet again.

Your first mistake is comparing him to Hextall and Parent.

That's like comparing Jones to Desjardins.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
You're basing the bad reputation on the Ottawa media. They have a tendency to help run players out of town that they don't like. As well, it certainly doesn't help that Ray Emery was a black man living in a city in which the OPP are known for racial profiling (I grew up living in Ottawa and that's not something that's made up - it's a fact).

Quote:
Emery who was given an excellent chance to prove him self played good for about one quater of the season. Thats all it really was. 20 good games He was probably in a so-so shape and not ready for a long season. He misdiagnosed his own injury and put my favorite team in the hole.
Emery has always looked after himself. He's been one of the best conditioned athletes everywhere he's played. If you think he was going to blow his last chance getting back into the NHL by showing up in less than ideal shape, you're way off base.

Quote:
You want to compare this a-hole to MAF, Luongo or any other goalie go right ahead. I am not going to stop you. You want to think that Flyers can actually win a championship with this clown in between the pipe fine by me.
MAF has the luxury of playing behind that team in Pittsburgh and it's not as if he's been some great saviour. Luongo hasn't been to a Stanley Cup final anywhere he's been. Emery has made it to the finals at least once in his career.

Quote:
Hextall took the Flyers nothing. That 1987 year, Hextall had the luxury on playing on one of the greatest Flyers teams that was ever assembled. He wasn't the linch pin for that team. If anything, he was the weakest link because of his temper.

As for Parent, don't kid yourself. Great goaltender, but he didn't carry that team all by himself. To dismiss what the rest of the Flyers players did is an insult to the greats who played on those Stanley Cup contending teams.

Quote:
Great. We all want a real goaltender. Are you prepared to part with a large chunk of the team that would be required to land a top goaltender? Yeah, thought so.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Your first mistake is comparing him to Hextall and Parent.

That's like comparing Jones to Desjardins.
Comparing? Wtf are you talking about? I am not comparing that bum to anyone. Him or Biron or Esche or Cechmanek, old Beezer etc etc etc.

Get him the **** out of here. Next goalie please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Great. We all want a real goaltender. Are you prepared to part with a large chunk of the team that would be required to land a top goaltender? Yeah, thought so.
Me? YES!

I do not need this team with out goaltender. They will go nowhere.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:01 PM
dookie88

Quote:
A bad reputation build mostly by the canadian press which searched a reason for the senators to sink like the titanic after they went to the SCF.

Quote:
20 good games out of 29 is a pretty good ratio. Factor in that he played hurt for 10 to 14 days (not games!) and that he looked excellent at times and he doesn't look so bad, eh?

Quote:
Thank you. All you do is speculating about something you will never know. Get some facts or stop writing about something in this manner.

Quote:
Luongo wasn't mentioned.
You just seem to hate Emery, fine by me. But you're disqualifying yourself from any objective discussion about him.

Quote:
Stop living in the past.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Comparing? Wtf are you talking about? I am not comparing that bum to anyone. Him or Biron or Esche or Cechmanek, old Beezer etc etc etc.

Get him the **** out of here. Next goalie please.
You were pretty much comparing him/them, yeah. The guy hasn't even been here a single season and has (unfortunately) been injured for like half of it. Take a deep breath dude.

What am I talking about -- what the **** are YOU talking about???

I would imagine given the injury, he very well might not be back. At the same, maybe he's back on the cheap again...who knows.

You make it sound like there is a pantload of top-tier goalies to be had.

Out of curiousity, are you aware of the Flyers cap situation?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Hextall took the Flyers nothing. That 1987 year, Hextall had the luxury on playing on one of the greatest Flyers teams that was ever assembled. He wasn't the linch pin for that team. If anything, he was the weakest link because of his temper. [/B]

Didn't that weakest link win the Conn Smythe in a losing effort?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Hextall took the Flyers nothing. That 1987 year, Hextall had the luxury on playing on one of the greatest Flyers teams that was ever assembled. He wasn't the linch pin for that team. If anything, he was the weakest link because of his temper. [/B]

Didn't that weakest link win the Conn Smythe in a losing effort?
And he was never the same player after that. Hextall was a hot shot rookie, that's it. Put Fuhr or any other top goaltender that year on that Flyers squad and they win the Stanley Cup.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
BerubeBox*

Kaktus' points are at least arguable but he always digs himself a hole with his word choice. Anyway you guys should ease up on him a little bit (if your goal is to be mature. if not, flame away lol)

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:22 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Kaktus' points are at least arguable but he always digs himself a hole with his word choice. Anyway you guys should ease up on him a little bit (if your goal is to be mature. if not, flame away lol)
this is the same kaktus who said Powe was too soft

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
This. I'm surprised anyone takes Kaktus seriously anymore.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Yes the same one who said that Carcillo is a better player and Powe is just a ****ign checking line chump. Never said Powe soft I said he is small..

Anyway, who gives a ****.. I like Washington as my #2.

For those who like emery.. Let Homer sign this bum and give him NTC or NMC..

Old
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I am also wary of signing Emery with his injury troubles, but it boils down to:

Who else is there to sign?

Biron
Ellis
Turco
Theo

not a good crop

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I am also wary of signing Emery with his injury troubles, but it boils down to:

Who else is there to sign?

Biron
Ellis
Turco
Theo

not a good crop
I don't think Theodore is as bad as people say he is, but yeah it's a bad crop. Assuming we don't go after Emery I would be fine with any of those four besides Turco.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote