HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Updated Cumulative Best on Best Score: Canada 6 - Rest of the World 4

Old
03-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
This is what I hate the most. Canada fans have the egos running out of control because they beat the USA in a single game.
In the historical context of this thread, Canada has beaten the USA more than a single game.

Quote:
Well, team USA beat Canada 5 - 3 before that. Who cares? Basically, Canada fans are gloating that they went 1 - 1 with the USA and won by one goal on a given night during the Olympics. It doesn't make them a better team. It means they won on that night. This is why the Olympics and most international tournaments are based on a lot of luck. One game elimination doesn't mean much. If Canada faced Russia another 10 times do you think you would get the same result game in and game out? Probably not, in fact I'd be willing to bet Russia would win a handful of them. Sure, I'll give Canada their props for winning one heck of an EPIC hockey game. They deserve the credit. But that is all they deserve. They were not good enough to be gloating like this.

I can play a stats game too... Team USA outscored Canada 7 - 6 in the two games they faced one another? Does that make the USA a better team? No, it just means they scored more goals in two games than them.
I know, it is not like the USA has ever gloated for decades about a single victory at the Olympics?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Isn't there a Canada forum you could post this in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
The Canada Cup was only a friendly tournament. It doesn't have any value.
Uh, we're talking about grown men playing a game here. At the end of the day, none of it has any meaning whatsoever so comparing the merits of a Canada Cup tournament to an Olympic tournament based on their inherent "value" is pretty ridiculous.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:

BTW, to be a best on best tournament, the Canada Cup should have had the best referees and not those chauvinist cheaters.
Yes it is ridiculous what some refs have let the Soviets get away with in the past.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
In the historical context of this thread, Canada has beaten the USA more than a single game.

I know, it is not like the USA has ever gloated for decades about a single victory at the Olympics?
Well, I never said HISTORICALLY (even though this is what the thread is based on). I was referring to THIS YEAR in my post. And this year, personally, I think USA had a better tournament. Canada beat them when the game had a title. USA beat them when the game didn't have a title. Doesn't mean Canada is better.

Just like in the WJC. Canada beat USA in a game without significance. USA beat them for the WJC when it was a "gold" medal game. Doesn't mean USA was better, just meant they won a single game.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post

'nuff said.
You got your gold sure, but you needed overtime and a home crowd to help you drag it through the door by a hair.

You now have exactly two Olympic gold medals in the last 50 years.

Exactly the same number as the U.S. and Sweden.

I love Canada and Canadians but give it a rest junior.

For now, congrats on a great game.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Shouldn't the 2005 World Championships be considered a best on best tournament since the NHL was in a lockout and every NHL player had the option of playing? The Czech Republic won it, Canada finished second, and Russia third.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Well, I never said HISTORICALLY (even though this is what the thread is based on). I was referring to THIS YEAR in my post. And this year, personally, I think USA had a better tournament. Canada beat them when the game had a title. USA beat them when the game didn't have a title. Doesn't mean Canada is better.

Just like in the WJC. Canada beat USA in a game without significance. USA beat them for the WJC when it was a "gold" medal game. Doesn't mean USA was better, just meant they won a single game.
I disagree. The title of Gold Medal Game is what the whole Olympic tournament is all about. Winning that "single game" is the hardest one to win and more importantly the one that history remembers.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
You got your gold sure, but you needed overtime and a home crowd to help you drag it through the door by a hair.

The 50 years gold drought was a story line drummed up by the media to sell better Olympic hockey in 2002. Us Canadians obviously wanted to win the gold at the Olympics, but we all know what Team Canada had proved in the numerous best-on-best tournaments over the past couple of decades.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
86Habs

Quote:

BTW, to be a best on best tournament, the Canada Cup should have had the best referees and not those chauvinist cheaters.
Nice - you've completely undermined some of the most outstanding efforts by your countrymen (I assume you're a Russian) in international competition. Go ahead and tell Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov, Krutov, etc. that the 3 Canada Cups they participated in in the 1980's were a complete waste of time and didn't hold any value. Because I'm sure they would think differently, and the way that they competed in those tournaments showed me that they cared; they were outstanding, and a pleasure to watch play.

I really don't pay much attention to the World Championships; I know the Europeans do, but its not a big deal in North America given the timing of the tournament (in the middle of NHL playoffs). Still, I appreciate the efforts by the Canadian teams (and all teams for that matter), and to say that its meaningless for whatever reason is undercutting the spirit of competion and level of effort that the athletes put into that. Just my 2 cents...

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
No need to get mad, just prepare your team for 2014 and make us shut up.
lol...you really dont get it.

We are a 4 sport country and you are a one trick pony (sans curling)

The game you call your own so far this year you've lost the under 17s to us, the over 17s to us, and needed overtime after losing the week before to us.

You won the gold, but lost domination, or even superiority. It doent get more even presently. Calculate all the hisory you want, you know you dont own the only game you have anymore.

Nothing above takes away the wonderful victory yesterday. The game was a thing of beauty and congratulations again on the gold!

ps. the funniest thing is today you have to go back to being a maple leaf fan, the sorriest franchise in recent history.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Quote:

Whats wrong you mad you lost even after you beat us before in the same tournament?

GO CANADA GO

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
ps. the funniest thing is today you have to go back to being a maple leaf fan, the sorriest franchise in recent history.
...... and you and I have to go back to being Rangers fans.

...... if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

The game you call your own so far this year you've lost the under 17s to us, the over 17s to us, and needed overtime after losing the week before to us.

You won the gold, but lost domination, or even superiority. It doent get more even presently. Calculate all the hisory you want, you know you dont own the only game you have anymore.

Nothing above takes away the wonderful victory yesterday. The game was a thing of beauty and congratulations again on the gold!

I love this logic. When Canada was no longer Olympic champions, few would accept Canada's numerous WJC and a WHC championship wins as evidence that Canada still was a dominant hockey force. Nope, all we fans heard was "7th in Turin 2006." Now that Olympic gold is Canada's once again, the fact the we lost the most recent WJC (after winning 5 in a row & missing many of the nation's top players to the NHL, but I digress) and a split squad Team Canada lost to the USA in the Under-17s proves that the USA is "even" with Canada. Nice try.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:

No I don't think you get it... Canada's position in hockey has been questioned by the Russians & Swedes & other European countries the last few years. This is not specifically about Canada vs USA in hockey, which only happened because we somehow met in the finals.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Tombernack

Quote:

You won the gold, but lost domination, or even superiority. It doent get more even presently. Calculate all the hisory you want, you know you dont own the only game you have anymore

Those Jr. losses, when put in context, certainly don't take away from Canada's "dominance". Surely you understand why by now.

Its still our game

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
...... and you and I have to go back to being Rangers fans.

...... if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?
Touche!!!! True that!!!

thank god for 94 eh?

Old
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Whats wrong you mad you lost even after you beat us before in the same tournament?

GO CANADA GO
Mad? No. Disappointed certainly. We should have beaten Canada because Canada is beatable.

Still, I'm damn proud of our boys.

The hockey world and Canada in particular gave the U.S team little to no respect going into the tournament.

If this Olympics proved anything it proved the fallacy of Canadian ownership of the sport.

You guys won and that's all that matters. And it's probably for the best.

The thought of Canada losing hockey gold as host country is a scary one.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick93 View Post
There have been 11 best on best hockey tournaments, starting with the inaugural Canada Cup in 1976, and culminating to date with the 2010 Olympics.

Thus far, Canada has won 7 times, while the entire rest of the world combined has won only 4 times.

Here are the details:

Year Tournament - Winner / Runner-up

1976 Canada Cup - Canada / Czechoslovakia

1981 Canada Cup - USSR / Canada

1984 Canada Cup - Canada / Sweden

1987 Canada Cup - Canada / USSR

1991 Canada Cup - Canada / USA

1996 World Cup - USA / Canada

1998 Olympics - Czech Republic / Russia

2002 Olympics - Canada / USA

2004 World Cup - Canada / Finland

2006 Olympics - Sweden / Finland

2010 Olympics - Canada / USA

Totals:

Canada 7 wins / 2 runners-up
USA 1 win / 3 runners-up
Russia/USSR 1 win / 2 runners-up
Sweden 1 win / 1 runner-up
Czechs 1 win / 1 runner-up
Finland 0 wins / 2 runners-up

Canada Rules!!!!

we need more handclaps for that

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
ronnyweed

Quote:

USA beat ontario in the U-17, not canada, for that tourny, which is actually called the U-17 challenge, we send a different team for each province

ONTARIO 1 - UNITED STATES 2

and why is it that you brag about the world JR win this year yet its the same situation as the olympics.... you guys won in OT a week after losing to canada.

ronnyweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
icerocket

Russia has been irrelevant ever since the fall of the USSR.

Canada's main rival is the USA now.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Freezy

Quote:

Actually, it could be argued that the fact that the Olympics were in Canada contributed to a very stiff team afraid to fail because the pressure was unimaginable. It could have actually been detrimental to our hockey team. The fact that the game was sent into OT amplifies this even more.

I would say, congratulations on not wilting under the insane pressure and still winning.

Freezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
Those Jr. losses, when put in context, certainly don't take away from Canada's "dominance". Surely you understand why by now.

Its still our game
I'll repeat what a I said in another thread.

I don't want to say hockey is all Canadians have. That would be extreme. But they do tend to over weight the hockey portion of the Canadian cultural portfolio at times.

Some of the things said by Canadians regarding hockey and their "ownership" of it seem to re-enforce a certain stereotype. Not negative really imo, just kind of goofy and juvenile.

No doubt though I love Canadians and Canada. Gorgeous women that will drink you under a table. Fantastic out door activity. Cosmo cities with lots of cultural pursuits

....and a country completely wacky over hockey. You could do worse for neighbors.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
I'll repeat what a I said in another thread.

I don't want to say hockey is all Canadians have. That would be extreme. But they do tend to over weight the hockey portion of the Canadian cultural portfolio at times.

Some of the things said by Canadians regarding hockey and their "ownership" of it seem to re-enforce a certain stereotype. Not negative really imo, just kind of goofy and juvenile.

No doubt though I love Canadians and Canada. Gorgeous women that will drink you under a table. Fantastic out door activity. Cosmo cities with lots of cultural pursuits

....and a country completely wacky over hockey. You could do worse for neighbors.
And...a country that took in 7000 US on 9/11 for a few days and made them their own....

Old
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
birddog*

Did someone bring up the World Jrs?

Since they did...

2005 Gold - Canada
2006 Gold - Canada
2007 Gold - Canada
2008 Gold - Canada
2009 Gold - Canada
2010 Gold US (Canada losses in overtime and gets silver)

Need I say more...

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Pizza

Quote:
And...a country that took in 7000 US on 9/11 for a few days and made them their own....
You taking a pretty big leap here.

No one is questioning the decency Canadians in general or their national character in particular.

I'm simply stating they are wrong and a bit goofy in saying they own the sport