HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

per Dreger: Grebeshkov to NAS for 2nd round pick

Old
03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Whoa, did not see this coming. An offensive dman? LOL, I don't think anyone here could have predicted that...

Edmonton fans were VERY high on him last summer. I guess they have been pretty disappointed this year, but so has the entire Edmonton organization. He has shown great potential. He's not just an offensive dman, but has an all around skill set.

Just a 2nd round pick is a steal though. Leopold just got traded for a 2nd, and he is not even on Grebs level.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Who are you referring to when you say Klein isn't an NHL player? He's playing 20 minutes a night. Usually guys who aren't NHL players barely get 5 minutes a night. See Belak.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Jarnberg

2nd round picks depend on the draft year of course. Years like 2003 and last year, you have good players falling there... others end up like 1999.

I haven't personally watched guys projected in this year's second round, but I've heard that this year's draft isn't as solid as year's past.. certainly not as deep.

I have no qualms with giving up a 2nd, but for Grebeshkov.. it is kind of puzzling.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Per THN, 2nd rounders average a 30% success rate.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Who are you referring to when you say Klein isn't an NHL player? He's playing 20 minutes a night. Usually guys who aren't NHL players barely get 5 minutes a night. See Belak.
I said it's not a given that he's going to spend his career as an NHL regular. I say this because I watch him play.

We'd be in a better position if had signed a #5-6 dman like Skrastins, McKee, etc, rather than forcing Klein into a 20 min a night role. We'd probably have several more wins too.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Hall averaged 14 goals a season for us, played over 420 NHL games, and you call him borderline. We have 11 2nd rounders who have developed to the point of being NHL ready or at least getting a realistic shot ... 6 are either still in college, juniors, or their first two years of pro hockey. Of those 11 who have progressed far enough to get their shot at the NHL as a regular .... Weber, Hall, Klein all made it as regulars in the NHL with Hutch getting a couple of seasons before returning to the AHL with a pretty nice salary.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Klein is also a guy that many feel shouldn't be in the NHL. Just because he's being paid on a one-way deal doesn't mean he's going to be an NHL regular for his entire career. Honestly, this organization has a history of forcing our draft picks into action (see Anderson, Shishkanov, and dare I say, Klein).

Hall is the closest 2nd. He had his run of mediocrity, but is now sitting in the AHL in the prime of his career.

Weber is our only 2nd rd pick that is a for-sure career regular NHLer. We'll see what happens with the rest.

To get back to the point, that's why I don't have a huge problem trading away 2nd round pick. We've got a 1 in 20 chance it'll turn into real NHL player. Even if it turned into a fringe guy like Hall, seriously, we can pick up a guy for league minimum to fill the fringe.
This is what you said. You watch him play and so do I. Klein is an NHL defenseman. When you say many and just say you watch him play, that doesn't back up your earlier statement.

I'm not always a big supporter of Trotz but Klein is playing 20 minutes a night, plays big minutes on the PK and is still young. I think your expectations of him at this point are a bit much. He has a good future with the team. There were a lot of people around here that thought Suter sucked and was a terrible pick at the time. I don't see too many of them slamming him anymore as he's an elite defenseman in the league now.

Klein may not be elite but he's certainly an improvement over what we had in deVries last year. I would also say Zanon but the jury is still out on that. I have no problem with Klein being out there. The pairing of him and Hamhuis has been the problem, not his skill level.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Well, this thread got off on a nice big tangent. dulzhok gets credit for the first post-Olympic thread-jack.

Grebeshkov didn't really have much to say. His English isn't great, although it's hardly where Radulov was when he first came over. He has never been on a team that has made the playoffs, so maybe that will inspire him to ramp up his play for us.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Hall averaged 14 goals a season for us, played over 420 NHL games, and you call him borderline. We have 11 2nd rounders who have developed to the point of being NHL ready or at least getting a realistic shot ... 6 are either still in college, juniors, or their first two years of pro hockey. Of those 11 who have progressed far enough to get their shot at the NHL as a regular .... Weber, Hall, Klein all made it as regulars in the NHL with Hutch getting a couple of seasons before returning to the AHL with a pretty nice salary.
Hall is borderline because he's 28 and sitting in the AHL-- don't see how he is a success. Hutchison now counts becuase he's getting overpaid in the AHL too?

Let me phrase it a different way, Weber is our only 2nd rd success story. Sure, there are some fringers and hopefulls, but Weber is the only one making a positive impact in the NHL right now. Unless you consider Klein a solid player right now, then we have two.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-01-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
You're reaching. Hall is borderline because he's 28 and sitting in the AHL-- don't see how he is a success. Hutchison now counts becuase he's getting overpaid in the AHL too?

Let me phrase it a different way, Weber is our only 2nd rd success story. Sure, there are some fringers and hopefulls, but Weber is the only one making a positive impact in the NHL right now. Unless you consider Klein a solid player right now, then we have two.
I can live with this and what your point is.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Well, this thread got off on a nice big tangent. dulzhok gets credit for the first post-Olympic thread-jack.
I see the value of a 2nd rd pick as very relevant.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Hall is borderline because he's 28 and sitting in the AHL-- don't see how he is a success. Hutchison now counts becuase he's getting overpaid in the AHL too?

Hall had six NHL seasons ... one of which was injury shortened. The other five were 70 games plus. As a Pred he averaged 14 goals in three full seasons. Pretty regular.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Back on topic...

Even though this is a pretty good deal, value-wise, for us, I don't see how he fits here, now and future. I can't see us paying someone $3.15M to play with Bouillon on the bottom pairing. I guess we could demote Klein, but I don't see that happening. Klein has greatly improved over the past couple months and we just extended his contract. We wouldn't have done that if we were planning on demoting him.

Despite what Fenton says, this looks like a clear precursor to another deal.

Idk, I suppose we could keep everyone, and just have an insanely deep blueline, but I feel like the money could be better spent.

The nice thing is that he is RFA this year, so we have the option to re-sign him. The bad news is, he is going to cost $3.465M just to qualify him.

edit: I'm wrong about the qualifying number. He will cost the same amount - $3.15M. This makes it not as bad as I originally thought. Hamhuis will get more than that this offseason.

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 03-01-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old
03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

i wouldnt rule out sulzer being traded. like jones, costs us and has no place in our lineup

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:59 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i wouldnt rule out sulzer being traded. like jones, costs us and has no place in our lineup
Interesting thought but with only him, Klein, Suter and Weber signed for next year, I have a hard time believing we'd trade him, especially since he makes so little in the grand scheme of things. Franson is restricted so if Hammer is traded, Bouillon and Grebeshkov leave as free agents, we'd have 5 guys under contract. I'm not sure Poile trades away Sulzer at this time because of that. If he did re-signing Bouillon or Grebeshkov would be an imperative.

Old
03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Interesting thought but with only him, Klein, Suter and Weber signed for next year, I have a hard time believing we'd trade him, especially since he makes so little in the grand scheme of things. Franson is restricted so if Hammer is traded, Bouillon and Grebeshkov leave as free agents, we'd have 5 guys under contract. I'm not sure Poile trades away Sulzer at this time because of that. If he did re-signing Bouillon or Grebeshkov would be an imperative.
Grebs is restricted as well. But yeah, I don't think we trade Sulzer. Can't we just stash him in the minors?

Speaking of Franson, what kind of money does everyone think he'll get this summer?

Old
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Grebs needed a change from Edmonton and hopefully he fits in with the preds

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

I think I love this!

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I think this is a great deal for us.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

ugh ... more russians

/Don Cherry

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This is a really good deal for the Predators. THere is honestly no other way to spin it.......Lets see what happens with Hamhuis now.

03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
okay here is a wild card

listening to 630ched out of Edmonton

it sounds like grebs has interest in going to the KHL in the off season

if tht happens what is your response to the deal then

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
okay here is a wild card

Heh, we are used to it. He's still an RFA and Nashville Property.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
okay here is a wild card

Every Russian free agent supposedly has interest in going to the KHL. Is there any real basis to this rumor?

Old
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
okay here is a wild card