HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Updated Cumulative Best on Best Score: Canada 6 - Rest of the World 4

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
  #76
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 500
This thread is unnecessary. Bask in the glory of winning the game last night, there's no need to go on about history.

No wonder so many people were annoyed by Canadians during the Olympics.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
  #77
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That would just give us a chance to create another miracle. Which we doubtlessly would do. This is America after all

Seriously, to own is to dominate. Canada has not Dominated mens hockey in the modern age. Far from it.

Reel off another three or four golds in a row and the beers are on me.
I'm not arguing that Canada is currently the dominant team in men's hockey (and I'm Canadian), because we're not, and our success in the last decade or two proves that out - I'm arguing the fact that before 1998, Canada (and every other country for that matter) was limited to amateur players, while Russia was permitted to bring their top professionals. So, of course they won more often than not - the Miracle on Ice was indeed a miracle. Us Canadians do not consider pre-1998 Olympics to be "best-on-best" competitions (as we were limited to amateurs), nor do we consider World Championships to be "best-on-best" because all rosters are constrained by the NHL playoffs. So what we're left with, pre-1998, are Canada Cups and the odd Rendez-Vous or Summit Series, at which we have a very decent record.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
  #78
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Hopefully we meet the USA in every gold medal game.

2-0 baby!
If it gives us hockey on the level we had yesterday. I'll take it every time.

Win or lose.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
  #79
86Habs
Registered User
 
86Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If it gives us hockey on the level we had yesterday. I'll take it every time.

Win or lose.
Absolutely correct - the true winners are the fans.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
  #80
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And this year, personally, I think USA had a better tournament. Canada beat them when the game had a title. USA beat them when the game didn't have a title. Doesn't mean Canada is better.
This is literally the first time I have known anyone to claim that the team getting the silver medal had the better tournament.

Believe me, if Canada had lost, I would have said, yes, the USA had the better tournament. But they didn't.

If you want to say the USA was more consistent, I'll give you that one. But these tournaments are decided in the win-or-go-home games, not the preliminary rounds. Those games are simply for seeding, not for claiming victory over anything.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:31 PM
  #81
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
yea... canada 2 golds in 50 years

usa 2 golds in 50 years.

congrats on catching up.
The point of this thread which was and still is when the World played best on best...and let me clarify because it seems you are having a hard time understanding...until the last while professional players were not allowed to play in the Olympics....hence players like Gretzky and Lemieux never played in their primes.

To counteract this there were a series of Canada Cups and World Cups held where we could see the World's best play against each other.

During these tournament - including the last few Olympics - when pros were allowed to play Canada has won 7 - count em can't deny em 7 out of a total of 11.

All other countries combined 4. That's 7-1 Canada over the US and Canada had won like 5 World Jrs in a row until this year...so your 2 in 50 stat is only significant because Canada was sending semi pro players to the Olympics....kinda like when the US were sending college kids to the Olympics for basketball...

Hope this clarifies it for you. Feel free to argue the point but please be accurate.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
  #82
Vladiator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
How can anybody say that a World Cup is a fair assessment of who is best of the best, when the competition is totally biased towards Canada?

Vladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:38 PM
  #83
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator View Post
How can anybody say that a World Cup is a fair assessment of who is best of the best, when the competition is totally biased towards Canada?
How is it biased?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:38 PM
  #84
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,673
vCash: 500
When Canadians are saying "our game" I always thought it was like a couple saying thats "our song". Not that they owned it, but it was their favourite. Hockey is our favourite sport, hence it's "our game". I dont see a problem with that.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:41 PM
  #85
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
When Canadians are saying "our game" I always thought it was like a couple saying thats "our song". Not that they owned it, but it was their favourite. Hockey is our favourite sport, hence it's "our game". I dont see a problem with that.
Don't think there is a problem - no Canadian will blindly argue the fact that USA dominates at basketball.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:41 PM
  #86
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue
 
Stanley Foobrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fooville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
When Canadians are saying "our game" I always thought it was like a couple saying thats "our song". Not that they owned it, but it was their favourite. Hockey is our favourite sport, hence it's "our game". I dont see a problem with that.
Very good answer.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
  #87
Vladiator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
How is it biased?
The venue, rules, rink-size, referees...

Vladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
  #88
Harold Snepsts
Registered User
 
Harold Snepsts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
This thread is unnecessary. Bask in the glory of winning the game last night, there's no need to go on about history.

No wonder so many people were annoyed by Canadians during the Olympics.
No kidding. Winning the gold on home ice wasn't enough? Setting a record for gold medals in the Olymipcs isn't enough? It's getting to be like the insecure girlfriend who just can't seem to get enough praise.

Yes, you're really good at hockey, ok?

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
  #89
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Well, I never said HISTORICALLY (even though this is what the thread is based on). I was referring to THIS YEAR in my post. And this year, personally, I think USA had a better tournament. Canada beat them when the game had a title. USA beat them when the game didn't have a title. Doesn't mean Canada is better.

Just like in the WJC. Canada beat USA in a game without significance. USA beat them for the WJC when it was a "gold" medal game. Doesn't mean USA was better, just meant they won a single game.
Quite the contrary. In both cases it meant that the winning team was indeed the superior team. There is no value in having a gold medal or deciding championship game based on this specious logic.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
  #90
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator View Post
The venue, rules, rink-size, referees...
I see...

Not sure how they managed to pull that win off in Salt Lake City and then there was that win in '72 in the middle of communist Russia but hey whatever makes you feel good.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
  #91
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
No kidding. Winning the gold on home ice wasn't enough? Setting a record for gold medals in the Olymipcs isn't enough? It's getting to be like the insecure girlfriend who just can't seem to get enough praise.

Yes, you're really good at hockey, ok?
Bow down in all our glory...

Harold Snepts was Canadian you know

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
  #92
JaysCyYoung
Registered User
 
JaysCyYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator View Post
The venue, rules, rink-size, referees...
I don't see how using proper-sized ice surfaces, with superior modern facilities and better-trained officials can be viewed as a detriment. Explain your reasoning, please?

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
  #93
Harold Snepsts
Registered User
 
Harold Snepsts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Bow down in all our glory...

Harold Snepts was Canadian you know
Yes, I know.

Like I've said, growing up in Detroit, I spent a lot of time in Canada. I love Canada. In the Olympics, winter especially, if there were no American contenders I would often root for Canada to win.

But this forum really tested that sometimes. Congrats to Canada and all, truly.

But with the relentless need for some people here to continue to find new ways to feel superior to other countries, you'd think Canada just needs a hug and someone to tell them they're good enough.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
  #94
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
But with the relentless need for some people here to continue to find new ways to feel superior to other countries, you'd think Canada just needs a hug and someone to tell them they're good enough.
If only that hug could come from moustached Harold Snepsts.

One of the coolest NHL alumni around.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
  #95
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
When Canadians are saying "our game" I always thought it was like a couple saying thats "our song". Not that they owned it, but it was their favourite. Hockey is our favourite sport, hence it's "our game". I dont see a problem with that.
This is one of the bet posts over the last two weeks.

I dont either!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
  #96
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
Yes, I know.

Like I've said, growing up in Detroit, I spent a lot of time in Canada. I love Canada. In the Olympics, winter especially, if there were no American contenders I would often root for Canada to win.

But this forum really tested that sometimes. Congrats to Canada and all, truly.

But with the relentless need for some people here to continue to find new ways to feel superior to other countries, you'd think Canada just needs a hug and someone to tell them they're good enough.
Honestly I see it to the contrary. Canadian's don't have moments like these often.

We aren't the best at baseball, football, basketball, soccer...we could go on.

What we have is hockey. We take pride in it and work hard.

That in combination with all the turmoil across the world with the recession, terrorism, earthquakes, etc. Finally there is something to celebrate be happy about.

The post is not meant to belittle anyone, rather say wooo! this is great, lets celebrate. Yet we have posters from other countries coming in with cynicism spoiling the party, so to say.

Why not let Canadians celebrate - its been barely 24 hours - or do Americans and others feel the need to come in and say you aren't that good you haven't won blah blah in 50 years.

Seriously when Americans won gold in basketball and the zillion other things they won I didn't feel the need to poke around and take them down a notch.

The guys worked hard, they deserved to win, and the country deserves a celebration. Boo to anyone that tries to rain on it.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
  #97
Harold Snepsts
Registered User
 
Harold Snepsts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Honestly I see it to the contrary. Canadian's don't have moments like these often.

We aren't the best at baseball, football, basketball, soccer...we could go on.

What we have is hockey. We take pride in it and work hard.

That in combination with all the turmoil across the world with the recession, terrorism, earthquakes, etc. Finally there is something to celebrate be happy about.

The post is not meant to belittle anyone, rather say wooo! this is great, lets celebrate. Yet we have posters from other countries coming in with cynicism spoiling the party, so to say.

Why not let Canadians celebrate - its been barely 24 hours - or do Americans and others feel the need to come in and say you aren't that good you haven't won blah blah in 50 years.

Seriously when Americans won gold in basketball and the zillion other things they won I didn't feel the need to poke around and take them down a notch.

The guys worked hard, they deserved to win, and the country deserves a celebration. Boo to anyone that tries to rain on it.
They absolutely do. I guess this thread just seems like overreaching here.

Like celebrating this gold isn't enough, especially so soon after it happened, that the OP had to find more reasons why Canada is better at hockey?

That's all I meant. Like you won the gold. Celebrate the hell out of that. You kicked ass at the Olympics, celebrate the hell out of that too.

But now digging into historical stats to extend your hockey dominance?

What's next, invading Poland?

And it's not like I'm really upset. It's more just poking fun at it. It's getting almost Napoleonic (to mix dictator metaphors).

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
  #98
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
They absolutely do. I guess this thread just seems like overreaching here.

Like celebrating this gold isn't enough, especially so soon after it happened, that the OP had to find more reasons why Canada is better at hockey?

That's all I meant. Like you won the gold. Celebrate the hell out of that. You kicked ass at the Olympics, celebrate the hell out of that too.

But now digging into historical stats to extend your hockey dominance?

What's next, invading Poland?

And it's not like I'm really upset. It's more just poking fun at it. It's getting almost Napoleonic (to mix dictator metaphors).
This ^

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:28 PM
  #99
IRON JELLY*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CANADIA
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Wikipedia - The 1979 Challenge Cup was an ice hockey exhibition series between the Soviet national ice hockey team and a team of all-stars from the National Hockey League, held in New York City. It replaced the NHL's all-star festivities for the 197879 NHL season.

Cool. So a national team that plays all year round vs. a team of NHLers hastily thrown together. Gee, I wonder who's going to win?

IRON JELLY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:32 PM
  #100
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
lol...you really dont get it.

We are a 4 sport country and you are a one trick pony (sans curling)

The game you call your own so far this year you've lost the under 17s to us, the over 17s to us, and needed overtime after losing the week before to us.

You won the gold, but lost domination, or even superiority. It doent get more even presently. Calculate all the hisory you want, you know you dont own the only game you have anymore.

Nothing above takes away the wonderful victory yesterday. The game was a thing of beauty and congratulations again on the gold!

ps. the funniest thing is today you have to go back to being a maple leaf fan, the sorriest franchise in recent history.
Read and weep. The epitome of a sore loser...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.