HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Always losing...

Old
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 500
Always losing...

I've never won a team championship my whole life, my teams have lost the past 3 seasons of hockey...I found an old box of my trophies from when I was a kid, from sports like Soccer and Baseball, and I had about a dozen 2nd place, a couple 3rd place and some "participation" trophies. It occured to me that I've never won a team championship.

It's not like my teams are god awful, my hockey team the past two years finished the year first but lost out in the playoffs. Is anybody else like this?...It's frustrating to have never won, and this is my senior year of highschool hockey and I'd like to win something before I graduate.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My rec league team finished first in our division the last two years but lost the championship game both times. Finally won this summer when we led the division and ran the tourney, but our team was pretty stacked.

When you lose to the point that you feel like you're going to lose every game, that sucks. It takes the fun out of it. But winning out becomes routine, and that loses its charm too. I prefer a good team where everyone's having fun and getting along and you feel like you can win on any given night.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My rec league team finished first in our division the last two years but lost the championship game both times. Finally won this summer when we led the division and ran the tourney, but our team was pretty stacked.

When you lose to the point that you feel like you're going to lose every game, that sucks. It takes the fun out of it. But winning out becomes routine, and that loses its charm too. I prefer a good team where everyone's having fun and getting along and you feel like you can win on any given night.
Our team can win on any night, and we have a ton of fun. I just want to win a championship so bad, but I/we come up just short every time.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 03:42 PM
CanadaBacon

I have only ever won a Championship first year of midget and first year of Juniors. Only two times i have ever been to a final in 24 years too.

oh....think we won a championship in a tourny in Peewee, maybe a tourny in bantam.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
OprtnShtdwn

That's alright.. my team i played for hasn't won a game since 08. I have the 2nd lowest total of goals allowed this season, and yet we're 0-4-2. We're the worst offense which is frustrating beyond belief.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Hrad

Hah same, I have like 5 or 6 "Finalist" trophies but never won anything...

Maybe this year is the year for me...After going 1-10-2 the first 13 games, our team is on a 6-0-2 streak, no losses in 8 games. (Win-Loss-Tie). Something must have just clicked and we are one of the top teams in our league now.

We finished the season by jumping up 3 spots in the rankings and won our first playoff game so far, and we show no signs of stopping!

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
canuck44

I've come in 2nd place at the Lake placid tournament before. The only thing I remember winning is the non playoffs teams tournament (I think it was called the Clancy tournament or something, I played in the GTHL) because we definitely were a playoff caliber team, just somehow didn't work out. I'll join a mens league some day and hopefully win a championship

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Won one league title, and who knows how many tournaments, one lacrosse, and a soccer and summer basketball. Year I won league(SCAHA) we finished second in the regular season and in 3 tournaments. It was out time. Next year lost SCAHA and state tournaments in OVERTIME :cry I was goalie both times. Lost lacrosse title by 1 last year also.

On worst team in league in Cali this year, sucks to get killed almost every game. Still have decent sv%. Added to that is that I wouldve been on the best(or one of) but my ******* former coach brought them up from 16s to 18s(not house league geniues) and found this team at the last second. And Im better than both goalies on the other team from the place(same division) but was hosed because...

A. They already had picked goalies
B. One goalie played for the coach before, other was his kid.

Last edited by Moses Doughty: 02-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Professor Dangles

I'm a playoff choker.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:34 AM
noobman

An old coach of mine told me to cherish every championship you win, regardless of the level. You could go your entire life and never win a damn thing.

I remember winning one championship in summer hockey. I got injured in the 2nd to last game and wound up missing the finals. I happened to bump into my summer coach in the fall... he told me about the big win, and assured me that the rink manager had the extra trophies if I wanted to pick it up. I never did.

My house league soccer team won the finals once. I like to think that it was my epic goaltending in the second half that helped us maintain a 2-1 lead for the win!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Papa Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
An old coach of mine told me to cherish every championship you win, regardless of the level. You could go your entire life and never win a damn thing.

I remember winning one championship in summer hockey. I got injured in the 2nd to last game and wound up missing the finals. I happened to bump into my summer coach in the fall... he told me about the big win, and assured me that the rink manager had the extra trophies if I wanted to pick it up. I never did.

My house league soccer team won the finals once. I like to think that it was my epic goaltending in the second half that helped us maintain a 2-1 lead for the win!
My team won the consolation playoff bracket last year after going winless in the regular season. Yeah, it wasn't the REAL championship, but we celebrated like it was the Stanley Cup!

Papa Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Pog Form

Only won once, my only year of high school hockey, my last year of high school (OAC for those in Ontario). We won the city championship for our league. We were B division, though, which meant we didn't qualify for Provincials. Probably a good thing, though, because we got to go out on top.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Ok, not a hockey example but this was really crazy:

I played basketball in a youth league in high school. We lost every game, most by 20 points or so, and were totally miserable by the end of the year.

Everyone qualified for the playoffs, so we got one game against the best team in the league. We actually played ok and were "only" down by 11 with 1 second left. The game had been really chippy and the other team had been called for 2 techs. Of course we had been fouling to stop the clock (basketball... ugh) so when they passed the ball in, one of our players just crushed the guy from behind. He got up and said "what the ****" pretty loud.

Well... little did we know, there was a rule in that league that the third time you got tee'd up, you forfeit the game. The refs called it, and we won our first game of the season after being down by 11 with 1 second left in our only playoff game.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
densetsu

On the other end of the spectrum, our summer league last year really dropped the ball and put us in a division that we weren't mean to to be in. Winning 15-2 wasn't uncommon. We trounced every team, and won the championship game 10-0 -- and we backed off a lot after the first period.

Most hollow feeling ever. Sure, we won the championship. But that season was the most boring 20 games of hockey I played.

I'd much rather play against teams our skill level, and lose in the finals, than dominate every team on our way to the championship.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
OprtnShtdwn

playing baseball, I couldn't tell you guys how many championships I've won through tournaments and season play. 9-12, easily, no joke, prob 10 to 12 tournaments. throw 2 football championships in there from between 7-12,

I feel sorry for someone whose never won a championship, it's a great feeling seeing all your work all season being summed up in a Championship Trophy.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Cowbell232

One of the most interesting stories I've ever heard is from Martin Brodeur's father, saying how Marty never was on a winning team, until the Devils won the Stanley Cup.

They way the interview went, it was all about learning how to lose before you can win. Just keep your head up and try.

Old
02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Semin

I've been on teams that won tournaments. But that's nothing like winning it all in the playoffs. I've never been to the finals in the playoffs. Came within 1 game and my team and I choked really bad, we were 12 and we should have won because we were really good but choked and lost 5-2. And I was on weaker teams that made some upsets in the playoffs. I just want a championship in the playoffs. It's amazing how any team can win when its the playoffs.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:26 AM
HowToHockey

If I learned anything from bad news bears it is to enjoy every victory.....and every defeat

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I've never won a team championship my whole life, my teams have lost the past 3 seasons of hockey...I found an old box of my trophies from when I was a kid, from sports like Soccer and Baseball, and I had about a dozen 2nd place, a couple 3rd place and some "participation" trophies. It occured to me that I've never won a team championship.

It's not like my teams are god awful, my hockey team the past two years finished the year first but lost out in the playoffs. Is anybody else like this?...It's frustrating to have never won, and this is my senior year of highschool hockey and I'd like to win something before I graduate.
I was the same way...I had played some sort of recreational sport since I was 6. Never had won. I lost another season in the semi-finals last year in baseball and was crushed, needless to say, but what happened next was my kind of justice. Our inline hockey team which finished second JUST defeated the third placed team in the semis and the next game I was soo nervous to win for a change. Even though it was only house, I just wanted to win very badly. I went out and scored the 2nd goal of the championship game (it was garbage lol) but it was big and we won 6-4. What I learned is you can never lose your passion to win.

NEWays, hope that wasnt too long lolcats.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:26 AM
alexanderovechkin8

same with me my last season of hockey my team finished 2nd in 2 tournaments and won bronze in the playoffs

alexanderovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
DJ Kariyaaa

as long as youre enjoying it who cares? you have the rest of your life to be weighted down with bills, car payments, and the drudge of the 9 to 5. as long as youre having a good time, why worry about it?

DJ Kariyaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

Time to start playing in beer leagues with 4 teams where every team makes the playoffs, lower the odds.

Last season my team actually went 1-11 in the regular season, our one win was with a different goalie to top it off. We ended up winning both rounds in the playoffs and we walked away with a sweatshirt that I'm wearing right now.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:58 PM
blueberrydanish

Losing does suck, but thats why I force myself to play as hard as I can and never get down no matter the score. Cause in the end you can say you did all you did, gave it your all...yadda yadda. Feels much better to lose with a positive attitude and giving all you got than to just be pissed you didn't win and possibly half-ass near the end. Seems like its all a mindset really.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Losing does suck, but thats why I force myself to play as hard as I can and never get down no matter the score. Cause in the end you can say you did all you did, gave it your all...yadda yadda. Feels much better to lose with a positive attitude and giving all you got than to just be pissed you didn't win and possibly half-ass near the end. Seems like its all a mindset really.
That's the way I look at it. Hockey is a team sport. Unless you're Gretzky and can just light up goalies all game you need the other 10 guys to do their jobs. If they don't do their jobs but you do and you lose you can walk away knowing you did what you were supposed to. I've won a lot of championships in 16 years of rec league. My first 10 years were strictly roller, I was fortunate enough to know a lot of good players, played for a lot of good teams and won a lot. I switched to ice, got drafted to a decent team, we went undefeated my first season and took the championship. Almost 6 years later I haven't won again. The only advice I can give the OP is that what I do is try to play a role nobody else on my team does. If I'm last on the depth chart and we don't have a physical team then I try to draw penalties and rough people up a little. I take the heat off the good players on the team and create space for them. Be able to play any position and be able to play it well. If you have a team full of shooters then be good at passing. I've found that no matter what team I play for I can find a role I need to fill and try to help the team win.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
cmdrdredd

When push comes to shove, I always get shoved out of the way

I mean, I can never get it done when it matters. I too have never won a team championship but have some individual ones from Martial Arts and BMX racing when I was younger.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote