HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Do you want NHLers in the Olympics in 2014?

View Poll Results: Do you want NHLers in the Olympics in 2014?
Yes 238 92.25%
No 20 7.75%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
  #51
Vladiator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
And what's so great about playing for your country anyway? Sure. you're from your country and you live under its flag and laws, but your town or local club team is who you grow up with and cheer day after day. In general, town is a much bigger part of daily life than country.
One can move towns. One may even not have a team in their town and support a team from another town.

But whatever happens and wherever a person may be, they will always feel as a Russian, Canadian, American, etc... This cannot change. That's why they can always feel a connection with their country and cheer for it.

Vladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
  #52
Ducksforcup
Registered User
 
Ducksforcup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anaheim, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
After today, I don't know how you can say no.
Agreed...the level of play in these Olympics was amazing.

HAVE to let them play.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
  #53
garbageteam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
One of the most lopsided polls I've ever seen, and for good reason. Best of the best in the world competing every four years >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 weeks of regular season NHL. The difference between a good day at work and a one month cruise in Europe.

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
  #54
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Of course. I am considering going to Sochi in 2014 and NHLers in the games will make the decision much easier.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
  #55
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Of course yes. Why wouldn't somebody want nhl'ers there?

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
  #56
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 500
The Olympics would almost be the WJC. The USA team would add a lot of new faces. As many college kids stay well past 20.

I would not want to see KHL and AHL players. Or any other mens league pro players play in it. That would really benifit European countries. Imagine Jagr in the WJC. Make it a true amatuer competion.

They have to use NHLers.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
  #57
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 500
Of course.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
  #58
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Yes and we need the NHLers in the olympics for it to be a viable olympic sport.
Dump hockey altogether from the Olympics and you solve both the issue of whether or not the NHL goes and the noncompetiveness of the women's game.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
  #59
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
One of the most lopsided polls I've ever seen, and for good reason. Best of the best in the world competing every four years >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 weeks of regular season NHL. The difference between a good day at work and a one month cruise in Europe.
A month cruise in Europe sounds boring. I think I'd take the good day at work.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
  #60
vozl59
Registered User
 
vozl59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
DEFINITELY!!! no question...

vozl59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
  #61
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator View Post
One can move towns. One may even not have a team in their town and support a team from another town.

But whatever happens and wherever a person may be, they will always feel as a Russian, Canadian, American, etc... This cannot change. That's why they can always feel a connection with their country and cheer for it.

You really underestimate some people's connection to NHL teams. No matter where I'll live, I'll always be a Toronto Maple Leafs fan like my mother and father before me and two grandfathers and a grandmother before them. My family has been Leafs fans since the 1930s.

Until about the late 60s, Canada wasn't even represented by any kind of national team. They usually just sent a senior team supplemented with a few extra players from other teams.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:53 PM
  #62
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I say yes for obvious reasons. I would be interested in hearing someone with the opposite's view explain his argument.
The argument is simple. I do not want the players from my team risking injury during an outside competition during the stretch drive to the playoffs. Could you imagine the uproar if Ovechkin had a season ending injury at the Olympics? Olympic hockey is great, no doubt, but my the Flyers winning the Cup has way more meaning to me than the Olympics do. I'd be enraged if an outside competition killed their chances.


Frankly I also think it's ridiculous the league shuts down its doors in the middle of the season for an outside competition. This is supposed to be the best league in the world. It shouldn't be taking a backseat to any other competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Your country is more important than your town, get it through your skull!

I want a rematch in Sochi!!
They are not my country. They are hockey players wearing my country's colors.

My team is also way more than to me than just "my town." I follow my team 365 days a year for every year of my life. I invest in them both emotionally and financially. I watch all 82 games + the playoffs. I spend countless of hours discussing them on the internet. They and their success means a whole lot more to me than a random collection of players I don't care about other than the handful of games they play once every 4 years. I don't know how anyone who actively follows an NHL team puts Olympic gold above the Cup when the average fans invest way more into their NHL team.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
  #63
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,775
vCash: 500
I voted yes because there was no button for "absa-*******-lutely"

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:26 PM
  #64
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The argument is simple. I do not want the players from my team risking injury during an outside competition during the stretch drive to the playoffs. Could you imagine the uproar if Ovechkin had a season ending injury at the Olympics? Olympic hockey is great, no doubt, but my the Flyers winning the Cup has way more meaning to me than the Olympics do. I'd be enraged if an outside competition killed their chances.


Frankly I also think it's ridiculous the league shuts down its doors in the middle of the season for an outside competition. This is supposed to be the best league in the world. It shouldn't be taking a backseat to any other competition.


They are not my country. They are hockey players wearing my country's colors.

My team is also way more than to me than just "my town." I follow my team 365 days a year for every year of my life. I invest in them both emotionally and financially. I watch all 82 games + the playoffs. I spend countless of hours discussing them on the internet. They and their success means a whole lot more to me than a random collection of players I don't care about other than the handful of games they play once every 4 years. I don't know how anyone who actively follows an NHL team puts Olympic gold above the Cup when the average fans invest way more into their NHL team.
You need to invest in some patriotism homey. It's us vs them vs any other bad guys. Do you think that by you paying for a ticket/hot dog/beer you're paying a players' salary?

Example...

Why would MLSE blow money trying to ice a good team when they're already making insane money? The fans will buy the tickets, the jerseys, pay for parking, etc regardless. It doesn't matter if they finish 1st or 30th. They made money. It's a business. No offense to the Leaf fans...

In the Olympics, they play for their country. No huge endorsements, no multi-million dollar contracts, that doesn't matter. The honor of playing for your homeland is why they do it.

BTW I've been a Pens fan since 1987, and that silver medal our guys worked their ***** off for means more to me then any of our Stanley Cups.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:33 PM
  #65
BlackAces*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,846
vCash: 500
Nope.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:37 PM
  #66
Kamzik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
But that means no KHL, SEL, etc. either.
How would you dictate who another country can put on their roster? The NHL can cut NHL involvement, but that is as far as their control goes. Otherwise, mind your own dinner plate.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM
  #67
robdicks
Registered User
 
robdicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Welland ON
Posts: 5,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I say yes for obvious reasons. I would be interested in hearing someone with the opposite's view explain his argument.
i'm all for it... most fans are.. its the NHL owners that don't like it
  • players can get injured (hasek in 06)
  • fatigue dilutes product (large reason as to why EDM and CAR made the final in 06) (favourites like Detroit were eliminated while having many players in the olympics)
  • Compressed schedule is hard to deal with
  • olympics usually cause NHL season to end in mid-june\
  • high olympic ratings don't usually mean high nhl ratings

so yeah.. although it is better for the fans and the majority of the population, unfortunately its the check writers who are making the decision

fortunately i believe that this is just a negotiation tactic.. as the NHL probably believes the players will give something up for it in the next CBA

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:52 PM
  #68
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
That's called the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they happen every year.

I don't see the point. I wanna see what countries can muster up, I want to see amateurs, teams that train and work and develop together rather than all-star teams.
All the elite players in the world plays in the NHL but they are scattered everywhere and the teams are diluted. You have world class players playing along mediocre players. The level of hockey is nowhere near as good as a tournament with the best against the best.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:12 AM
  #69
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The argument is simple. I do not want the players from my team risking injury during an outside competition during the stretch drive to the playoffs. Could you imagine the uproar if Ovechkin had a season ending injury at the Olympics? Olympic hockey is great, no doubt, but my the Flyers winning the Cup has way more meaning to me than the Olympics do. I'd be enraged if an outside competition killed their chances.


Frankly I also think it's ridiculous the league shuts down its doors in the middle of the season for an outside competition. This is supposed to be the best league in the world. It shouldn't be taking a backseat to any other competition.


They are not my country. They are hockey players wearing my country's colors.

My team is also way more than to me than just "my town." I follow my team 365 days a year for every year of my life. I invest in them both emotionally and financially. I watch all 82 games + the playoffs. I spend countless of hours discussing them on the internet. They and their success means a whole lot more to me than a random collection of players I don't care about other than the handful of games they play once every 4 years. I don't know how anyone who actively follows an NHL team puts Olympic gold above the Cup when the average fans invest way more into their NHL team.
When I see players from Russia, from Sweden, etc. on my NHL team, I wonder why are they playing in my town? The answer: MONEY. Wow, I feel so connected to them... NOT. When I see Johnathan Toews who plays far away in Chicago, I say, wow, he's a product of our country. I see Sidney Crosby and I think that Canada can still produce amazing skills. I feel proud when I watch them play. THAT is why Olympic hockey is so important to me. The NHL is a gimmick and I feel no connection to the Czech player who will go back to his country right after the season is over. When I see the "random" players as you say unite once very four years, I care a whole lot more because there's one thing we have in common: our home and native land.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:15 AM
  #70
robdicks
Registered User
 
robdicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Welland ON
Posts: 5,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
You need to invest in some patriotism homey. It's us vs them vs any other bad guys. Do you think that by you paying for a ticket/hot dog/beer you're paying a players' salary?

Example...

Why would MLSE blow money trying to ice a good team when they're already making insane money? The fans will buy the tickets, the jerseys, pay for parking, etc regardless. It doesn't matter if they finish 1st or 30th. They made money. It's a business. No offense to the Leaf fans...

In the Olympics, they play for their country. No huge endorsements, no multi-million dollar contracts, that doesn't matter. The honor of playing for your homeland is why they do it.

BTW I've been a Pens fan since 1987, and that silver medal our guys worked their ***** off for means more to me then any of our Stanley Cups.
I'm a leafs fan and havent seen a cup my whole life, and i would rather canada win the olympics than the leafs winning a cup... even tho i know all the players are millionaires the fact that they aren't getting paid and are sacrificing their bodies and playing hard for the country anyways makes it more exciting

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
  #71
robdicks
Registered User
 
robdicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Welland ON
Posts: 5,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
When I see players from Russia, from Sweden, etc. on my NHL team, I wonder why are they playing in my town? The answer: MONEY. Wow, I feel so connected to them... NOT. When I see Johnathan Toews who plays far away in Chicago, I say, wow, he's a product of our country. I see Sidney Crosby and I think that Canada can still produce amazing skills. I feel proud when I watch them play. THAT is why Olympic hockey is so important to me. The NHL is a gimmick and I feel no connection to the Czech player who will go back to his country right after the season is over. When I see the "random" players as you say unite once very four years, I care a whole lot more because there's one thing we have in common: our home and native land.

i'm thinking the 22 players on my toronto team (2 players from GTA and 0 players from Toronto) is much more random than the players on team canada (at least the players actually represent the name)

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
  #72
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
I'm a leafs fan and havent seen a cup my whole life, and i would rather canada win the olympics than the leafs winning a cup... even tho i know all the players are millionaires the fact that they aren't getting paid and are sacrificing their bodies and playing hard for the country anyways makes it more exciting
Damn right

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:56 AM
  #73
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
All the elite players in the world plays in the NHL but they are scattered everywhere and the teams are diluted. You have world class players playing along mediocre players. The level of hockey is nowhere near as good as a tournament with the best against the best.
The best...like Team Norway?

As for the issue of town vs. country, I don't know. Especially with the diversity in the United States, I don't feel a lot of connection to people who live thousands of miles away and lead radically different lives, dealing with different issues.

I have a lot more pride in being a Philadelphian, and in the common heritage we share, in terms of the economic, cultural, and historical background we draw from our city. And certainly in Philadelphia, pro sports are a part of that culture.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:17 AM
  #74
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
I'm a leafs fan and havent seen a cup my whole life, and i would rather canada win the olympics than the leafs winning a cup... even tho i know all the players are millionaires the fact that they aren't getting paid and are sacrificing their bodies and playing hard for the country anyways makes it more exciting
They're sacrificing their bodies on a friggin' volunteer job that could risk their ability to do the job they're paid to do.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
  #75
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
go back and watch the 03, 04, 05 finals
huh?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.