HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Sound of Vancouver when Crosby Scored

Old
03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Gregoire77

vCash: 500
^^^ ditto brother

Gregoire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Philly85
Moody'

that's how we roll in this country.

Crosby is legend. Team Canada is legend. We are the best. Hockey is life.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Picture NO after the Superbowl and put that in every major Canadian city. Canada shut down for 12 hours. The ENTIRE country was hung over today.
yeah, he's just a little clueless

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer45* View Post
Amazing...

But you should have seen New Orleans when they won the Super Bowl.

Nothing Quite like it.
Too bad the super bowl is a joke. It's a bunch of corporate ********.

Nothing beats Olympic hockey gold. Nothing in the entire sporting world comes close.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
SteelCityWings1034

unreal

SteelCityWings1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:56 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post

Nothing beats Olympic hockey gold. Nothing in the entire sporting world comes close.
its awesome that you appreciate olympic hockey over the superbowl... but dont use corporate ******** to promote the olympics lol

such an awesome video.. i bet if you did a video in every urban canadian centre the sound would have been the same im still getting goosebumps at the thought of about 35 million people cheering at the same time

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:58 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgamer45* View Post
Amazing...

But you should have seen New Orleans when they won the Super Bowl.

Nothing Quite like it.
Or in just about any country participating when the World Cup is going on. I'm sure they are all awesome, no need for a pissing contest.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Pretty obvious that there are loud speakers, as you can clearly hear Cuthbert, but super cool none the less.
NOPE! I was there front row at Livecity Yaletown, over 10,000 Canadians squished together, shoulder to shoulder, we were all jumping and cheering with 30 seconds left, Parise scores, jeers, and then tense quietness during the intermission before the OT period. That sound you hear from across False Creek is made up of the collective voices of over 10,000 excited passionate Canadians and not a result of speakers playing too loud.

OT starts, all of us are breathless,and then Crosby scores! Literally everyone SCREAMED till they were hoarse. I've been to mainland China during Chinese New Years, Tokyo centre during rush hour, Hong Kong during Chinese New Years, Times square during New Year's Eve, and this experience tops them all, the sheer happiness and relief spewing over into 10,000 screams of utmost excitement, most people I've ever seen in such a large space.

After the game, all of Granville street was flooded, from the base of the bridge all the way up to and past Granville station, it was a 4 block long mosh pit, high fives, anthem being sung, "ole oles" everywhere, hugs shared between strangers; just unbelievable, definitely one of the most memorable moments in my life.

Last edited by Callhee: 03-02-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:45 AM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
NOPE! I was there front row at Livecity Yaletown, over 10,000 Canadians squished together, shoulder to shoulder, we were all jumping and cheering with 30 seconds left, Parise scores, jeers, and then tense quietness during the intermission before the OT period. That sound you hear from across False Creek is made up of the collective voices of over 10,000 excited passionate Canadians and not a result of speakers playing too loud.

OT starts, all of us are breathless,and then Crosby scores! Literally everyone SCREAMED their lungs out. I've been to mainland China during Chinese New Years, Tokyo centre during rush hour, Hong Kong during Chinese New Years, Times square during New Year's Eve, and this experience tops them all, the sheer happiness and relief spewing over into 10,000 screams of utmost excitement, most people I've ever seen in such a large space.

After the game, all of Granville street was flooded, from the base of the bridge all the way up to and past Granville station, it was a 4 block long mosh pit, high fives, anthem being sung, "ole oles" everywhere, hugs shared between strangers; just unbelievable, definitely one of the most memorable moments in my life.
This.

I watched the game at home in North Van with my friends and when Crosby scored we screamed and chanted his name for a good 1 minute. We then headed downtown right after the anthem was sung, and it was insane down there. Robson and Granville were PACKED. The beginning of overtime up to about 11pm were the best 9 hours of my life. Yesterday was a day every Vancouverite/visiting Canadian will remember for the rest of their lives.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:51 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
This.

I watched the game at home in North Van with my friends and when Crosby scored we screamed and chanted his name for a good 1 minute. We then headed downtown right after the anthem was sung, and it was insane down there. Robson and Granville were PACKED. The beginning of overtime up to about 11pm were the best 9 hours of my life. Yesterday was a day every Vancouverite/visiting Canadian will remember for the rest of their lives.
haha in the theatre we were in as soon as crosby scored the goal we started singing o canada... then we sang it when the players did... then when we went down to clifton hill we must have sang it like 9-10 times randomly on the street with strangers

its a shame moments like this are seemingly once in a lifetime

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:21 AM
rye&ginger

Amazing. I was up in a condo tower near by, and we could hear the same noises from outside from the open window!

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:22 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post

Nope. A super bowl victory in an American city definitely beats it, a Stanley cup victory too. Also the sound is from the speakers on the arena. Still cool though.

You can hear "pavelski" at like the 35 second mark. It is just an audio feed from the arena, it's not actually the entire city.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Nope. A super bowl victory in an American city definitely beats it, a Stanley cup victory too. Also the sound is from the speakers on the arena. Still cool though.

You can hear "pavelski" at like the 35 second mark. It is just an audio feed from the arena, it's not actually the entire city.
My question to you is: were you there? Have you been to both a Superbowl victory and a gold medal olympic hockey game on home soil? If not, then you cannot be the judge, I haven't been to a super bowl winning city myself so I cannot be the judge. All I can say is that I personally have been to and reside in the most densely populated cities in the world and have experienced them through their high points, and they come no where close.

Have you been to Beijing on Chinese New Year's, or the Imperial Palace in Tokyo during Golden Week? I have, and I can personally say that this experience is the most memorable yet. The announcers through the speakers are quite loud but the crowd background noise is not nearly as loud and I would know since I was quite literally standing less than 100 feet from them. The noise of the crowd and fans completely drowned out the speakers.

The final medal in a record breaking Olympics; the Gold Medal Hockey game where Canada was defeated by the US during the Round robin's and then to start the game with a 2-0 lead to only squander it by taking their foot off the "gas pedal" the momentum in the opponent's court. The disappointment shared by 10,000+ individuals after Parise's goal, the tension was magnified by the 10+ minute intermission, all of us were looking at each other disappointed - wondering, worrying looking at each other for comfort "can we do it? should we be prepared for the loss?", then the period starts, all 10,000+ of us collectively hold our breaths, it all culminates in sudden death; one goal was all it took. Two weeks of partying, meeting strangers, cheering Canada - all the while; a nagging feeling, secretly worrying whether or not our team has it to bring the arguably most important gold medal home on our own soil. All of this exploded from my heart and soul after Crosby netted that goal.

We are Canadians, this is the sport where we grew up playing, we spent countless hours playing on the streets only interrupted by the odd "Car!" cry where we would proceed to move our makeshift nets aside. Some of us wake up at the brink of dawn, walk through knee high snow to the local pond and put on our skates to play a little ice hockey (obviously not us Vancouverites as it's not cold enough here, but many of our Canadian brethren in the prairies and Ontario/Quebec still do this today.) As kids, we don't watch football, we don't watch baseball, we don't watch basketball, we watch hockey! Hockey grew with us, hockey was there when we were little kids playing on the streets, hockey was there when we were bored and were flipping through the channels, hockey was there on TV on Saturdays, hockey was there in the background during countless dinners, hockey was there when we sat on the well worn edge of our seats hoping, praying for that next goal, hockey was always there. As we Canadians grew up; we experienced the great one that is Gretzky on TV, the 2002 Olympic Gold and it all culminated here, where we as Canadians can show the world at OUR Olympic games: this is our passion, this is what we play, and most importantly this is who we are.

Sure, you can say I may be the only one who felt that way, but because I felt this way I screamed till I was hoarse, along with 33,019,000 Canadians who screamed and cheered for their own reasons, so don't you tell me it was the speakers.

Last edited by Callhee: 03-02-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old
03-02-2010, 03:25 AM
wilty00

Quote:
My question to you is: were you there? Have you been to both a Superbowl victory and a gold medal olympic hockey game on home soil? If not, then you cannot be the judge, I haven't been to a super bowl winning city myself so I cannot be the judge. All I can say is that I personally have been to and reside in the most densely populated cities in the world and have experienced them through their high points, and they come no where close.

Have you been to Beijing on Chinese New Year's, or the Imperial Palace in Tokyo during Golden Week? I have, and I can personally say that this experience is the most memorable yet. The announcers through the speakers are quite loud but the crowd background noise is not nearly as loud and I would know since I was quite literally standing less than 100 feet from them. The noise of the crowd and fans completely drowned out the speakers.

The final medal in a record breaking Olympics; the Gold Medal Hockey game where Canada was defeated by the US during the Round robin's and then to start the game with a 2-0 lead to only squander it by taking their foot off the "gas pedal" the momentum in the opponent's court. The disappointment shared by 10,000+ individuals after Parise's goal, the tension was magnified by the 10+ minute intermission, all of us were looking at each other disappointed - wondering, worrying looking at each other for comfort "can we do it? should we be prepared for the loss?", then the period starts, all 10,000+ of us collectively hold our breaths, it all culminates in sudden death; one goal was all it took. Two weeks of partying, meeting strangers, cheering Canada - all the while; a nagging feeling, secretly worrying whether or not our team has it to bring the arguably most important gold medal home on our own soil. All of this exploded from my heart and soul after Crosby netted that goal.

We are Canadians, this is the sport where we grew up playing, we spent countless hours playing on the streets only interrupted by the odd "Car!" cry where we would proceed to move our makeshift nets aside. Some of us wake up at the brink of dawn, walk through knee high snow to the local pond and put on our skates to play a little ice hockey (obviously not us Vancouverites as it's not cold enough here, but many of our Canadian brethren in the prairies and Ontario/Quebec still do this today.) As kids, we don't watch football, we don't watch baseball, we don't watch basketball, we watch hockey! Hockey grew with us, hockey was there when we were little kids playing on the streets, hockey was there when we were bored and were flipping through the channels, hockey was there on TV on Saturdays, hockey was there in the background during countless dinners, hockey was there when we sat on the well worn edge of our seats hoping, praying for that next goal, hockey was always there. As we Canadians grew up; we experienced the great one that is Gretzky on TV, the 2002 Olympic Gold and it all culminated here, where we as Canadians can show the world at OUR Olympic games: this is our passion, this is what we play, and most importantly this is who we are.

Sure, you can say I may be the only one who felt that way, but because I felt this way I screamed till I was hoarse, along with 33,019,000 Canadians who screamed and cheered for their own reasons, so don't you tell me it was the speakers.

I don't even know what to say to that.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Hmm, after re-reading my above post, I realized that what I have said may sound odd, what i meant by "this is our game" is that Ice Hockey was arguably invented in Canada and it is intertwined with our histories and has affected every Canadian child in one way or another, it is very integrated into our culture and I am very happy that Hockey is where it is today, where people of many nations can play this great sport as they are growing up. I am happy that there are over 10 languages spoken in this sport.

In fact what are the raw numbers? Other than Soccer; I cannot think of another sport which has had such penetration on another continent. The rest of the world doesn't really watch American football, baseball (except Japan, South Korea), or basketball. Maybe cricket? Tennis?

Last edited by Callhee: 03-02-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old
03-02-2010, 04:28 AM
CF

Vancouver, just a mere hour after Crosby's goal:

As a Vancouverite I never thought I'd see the city quite like this. Without a doubt the greatest moment in this city's history and it's sad to see the Olympics leave. That being said, Vancouver will never be the same.

CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Bluez

I was at Library Square for the overtime watching from outside the beer tent through ****** plastic window! Although I couldn't see for ****, when I saw King Crosby skate behind the net and nobody followed him, my flag went right up and I booked it towardsr Georgia screaming my head off! I ****ing love being Canadian and these past 18 days have been the best days of my life!!!!! Thank you Vancouver ,Thank you Canadian athletes and thank you Team Canada!!! Go Canada Go!

Last edited by Bluez: 03-02-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spe
Bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Minirex22*

Thank you Vancouver!

Minirex22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:50 AM
CrazyCanucks

For all the debbie downers out there, grow up. Do you really need to piss on peoples happyness?
The people in this city were unbelivable. We went downtown after the OT got there about 4ish and it was insane. I have never been apart of anything like that ever. What a once in a lifetime experience. Everybody in the city is just proud of everything that went on for the 17 days, and that was the perfect ending to the Games. I mean you couldnt script that any better.

This was the scene in vancouver, I saw the shots of TO, Mtl etc, insane everywhere. Unless we get the Winter games again in Vancouver, I dont know how you can top that ever across the country ever again.

I am proud to be a Vancouverite and a Canadian. Definatley the best 2 weeks ever in my life so far. On Friday I saw the first sonogram of my child growing in my wife and heard the heartbeats, told our parents they are going to be grandparents and on Sunday this city was in the best mood. Sure was the perfect weekend for me!!

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
If it was from the arena, you'd hear Cuthbert audibly over the cheers -- just like you could watching the game.

But guess what? You can't.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Maybe cricket?
Cricket is god in India.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:00 AM
SilverSeven

Sorry if we woke you China.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Mr Lahey*

All the shipping boats from south america and asia are thinking a tsunami is coming

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Slickwilly

That video was a shot of Livecity Yaletown... and I'm glad to say that I was there along with atleast 4000+. Believe me, the speakers were far from clear and that was mostly actually crowd noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tdR...layer_embedded

Slickwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
That video was a shot of Livecity Yaletown... and I'm glad to say that I was there along with atleast 4000+. Believe me, the speakers were far from clear and that was mostly actually crowd noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tdR...layer_embedded
I asked one of the volunteers/security guards "How many does Live City Yaletown hold?" as I was pretty far back in the lineup before the gates were open and was worried about getting in, he answered me; capacity is just over 10,000. It looked, felt and sounded like it was packed to the brim, so 10,000 isn't too outrageous.