HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Let's be reality, was US the underdog going into the final?

View Poll Results: which best describes your thinking
Team USA was an undefeated juggernaut that already whipped Canada once -- Huge Favorites 4 2.94%
Team USA had played a great tournament, were top seed, and were slight favorites to win 12 8.82%
Team USA and Team Canada were on equal footing 30 22.06%
Team USA had a weaker team than Team Canada and would really need to play excellent to win 85 62.50%
Team USA overachieved and was lucky to be there, heavy underdogs would take a miracle to win 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2010, 02:57 AM
TheFinalWord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
No, they were delusional.

When the thread is asking who was the underdog, I am assuming it wants our individual opinions of who was more likely to win, as opposed to what we thought the general consensus was before the game.
My point is only that many, many US fans were calling their team the favourite and so to turn around and insinuate that Canadian fans were 'insulting' US fans by saying team Canada was the underdog is just silly.

If you take emotion out of the argument, it is clear that Canada had to be the favourite based on talent. But with the way the teams were playing, it was a lot closer than anyone would have expected at the start of the tournament.

Old
03-02-2010, 03:17 AM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
It's amazing how all of this Canadian underdog talk is surfacing after the win. Where were you guys Saturday? Hell, Crosby even alluded to the fact that he didn't think we could hang with them in his post game interview ("didn't think it would be that close").
~10% people think Canadians were underdogs which isn't that much.

if you were on hfboards there was a lot of "USA HEART + SYSTEM MAKES THEM BETTER", all this thread does is seperate the real feelings from the hubris.

Ron Wilson and Ryan Kesler and I'm sure others said the US played better than CAN. Not saying its true, just saying the feeling is held by some.

Old
03-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
My point is only that many, many US fans were calling their team the favourite and so to turn around and insinuate that Canadian fans were 'insulting' US fans by saying team Canada was the underdog is just silly.

If you take emotion out of the argument, it is clear that Canada had to be the favourite based on talent. But with the way the teams were playing, it was a lot closer than anyone would have expected at the start of the tournament.
I see where you're coming from, and I'm probably way too damn sensitive about the whole topic.

I don't feel insulted by the statement that Canada was an underdog, but I do perceive it as a bit of a slight towards the US team's effort (even though I know that is probably not the intention). I am proud of how the US team played, and I think they achieved a lot for any team, never mind a team that wasn't widely picked to medal.

I guess the best way to put is that my team fought hard to a man, overachieved and won a silver medal. When someone says Canada was the underdog it makes it sound like they coughed up the gold or something.

Old
03-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
~10% people think Canadians were underdogs which isn't that much.

if you were on hfboards there was a lot of "USA HEART + SYSTEM MAKES THEM BETTER", all this thread does is separate the real feelings from the hubris.
I hear ya. Like I said, nevermind me man, ever since Sunday I've come down with a case of the whine flu. I can't speak for other Americans, but the most confident thing I said was that "anything is possible" (damn it I was almost right). Worst part about it is that I am a Flyers fan, so I had to watch Sid rip my heart out for the third time in two years. It's like I'm Bill Murray in groundhog day, except terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
Ron Wilson and Ryan Kesler and I'm sure others said the US played better than CAN. Not saying its true, just saying the feeling is held by some.
That is an opinion that, regardless of whether I think it is reasonable or unreasonable, should have been kept to themselves. If not forever then for a while at least. They should've let team Canada enjoy their win with out having to hear that stuff, and (at least hearing it out of context) it takes some of the luster of their silver medals.

You could make an argument that the US had to play better (relative to their abilities) to even hang with Canada.....but Canada won, so it's tough to say the US played "better".

Old
03-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Humphrey*

is this a serious thread?

i would have loved to see someone who thought Canada was the underdog to go to their bookie, try to bet Canada, and claim that they should be getting odds.

Closed Thread