HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby or Ovechkin?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have start your franchise?
Crosby 48 48.00%
Ovechkin 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2010, 09:01 AM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
Crosby or Ovechkin?

I can't recall ever having a thread dedicated to this and I know me and all of the people I talk hockey with always battle about this subject.

Simply put, you are starting a new franchise in an emerging hockey city, which player would you rather have and why?

__________________________________________________ _____________

I just cant understand how people would select Ovechkin over Crosby. I would've selected Crosby even before he led his team to a Stanley Cup, but now its not even close.

Crosby has grown so much imo since when he first joined the league and was crying, whining, and diving. I remember watching him in the playoffs last year sticking up for his teammates even though he knows hes a *****. Hes a more "silent" leader and just calms down his squad whenever hes on the ice. He is essentially Pronger for the penguins in terms of calmness.

Crosby wants to work on his faceoffs one offseason, next season hes a superior face off man. Next offseason he wants to become a better goal scorer, this season hes at the top of the league in goal scoring. Whatever he wants to do, he works on it hard until he masters it.

Sure, Ovechkin is a hard hitting, incredible scoring talent, but I just dont think he has the leadership qualities Crosby has. He just seems to have the me-me-me-me, I take 3 minute shifts and stay out the whole power play mentality. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the coaches make him stay out there that long, but I just dont think that sends a good signar to your "team."

Bottom line, I wish our captain could take a page out of Crosby's book on hard work in the offseason to become the best player he could be.

/jerk session over Crosby is done.

What do you think?

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Crosby for me, the guy just wins, even if he is a d-bag.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

The player I'd choose to start my franchise is Crosby. You can build around him, and he has a gift of being able to get goals when his team needs him most.

But if the question were the player I prefer watching play the game, it's Ovechkin.

If it were the player I'd rather market the hell out of of, again it's Ovechkin. The charm, the personality, and the enthusiasm and love for the game make that one an easy choice.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Choose OV. The thing that annoys me the most about Crosby is his *****ing. You still see it today. I remember my roommate, who is actually a Yotes fan, during the Swiss vs Canada game, ask me if Crosby complains to the refs during a NHL game as much as that game. Every single stoppage, he is over to the refs, his facial expression showing that he was displeased with the no call. Even one of the announcers made a comment about it.

I can take OV's showboat over Crosby's *****ing.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Crosby definitely. Complete package, does what it takes to win.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Sid's accomplished more, but if I was merely going for the player on their talents, I'd go for Ovy.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
IrishSniper87

I go Ovechkin. Generational goalscorer, love watching him play more then Crosby play, even when it's against other teams and not us. Crosby is a better overall package, but Ovechkin is just a monster.

Although, I would place a premium on having strong Centers as far as the other forwards go.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:27 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

I think it's always more important to build a team around a center or goalie not a left winger (even if they have one of the best shots ever), so the obvious answer is Crosby...but I chose Ovie because I will never choose Crosby's side in anything.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Love Ovechkin, hate Crosby.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
JSTAFF

I'm really amazed at the results already. 12-5 for Ovie, seriously? I was always under the impression Flyers fans were smarter than this.

Lets start our franchise with a LW or a C.
Lets have the face of our franchise not be able to speak the language of the league.

Thats two things I want.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:43 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'm really amazed at the results already. 12-5 for Ovie, seriously? I was always under the impression Flyers fans were smarter than this.

Lets start our franchise with a LW or a C.
Lets have the face of our franchise not be able to speak the language of the league.

Thats two things I want.
It depends man. I mean, I'm thinking about what I want to see if I'm a fan of a new team. I want to see scoring, I want excitement.

Crosby is the better overall package, but I would rather pay to see Ovechkin. This has little to do with my Crosby hate (and man do I hate him and his stupid face).

Old
03-02-2010, 09:47 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I just love Ovy's game

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
jb**

A real simple answer really. Cindy. He has more marketing power and drawing power. A new owner wants maximum return, cindy gives you that. Has nothing to do with who you think is better as they are close anyway.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:37 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Ovechkin is more of the kind of guy who can single handily control a game. Seems Crosby needs a little more support than Ovechkin does.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Crosby is more marketable and probably better to build a business around.

What we need is an American player of that level.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Crosby is probably a more complete player, but OV is a bigger game changer. The guy is straight up electric. I'd take him over pretty much anyone in history except Gretzky and the Hulls. (<=== commence tearing me apart for that statement)

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1457
From Airplane!

Doctor: Stewardess. What did we have to eat?

Stewardess: We had a choice between fish and steak.

Doctor: Yes. I remember now. I had the lasagna.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
From Airplane!

Doctor: Stewardess. What did we have to eat?

Stewardess: We had a choice between fish and steak.

Doctor: Yes. I remember now. I had the lasagna.
Doctor: We've got to get these people to a hospital.

Stewardess: A hospital? What is it?

Doctor: It's a big building with lots of beds and sick people, but that's not important right now!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I love OV, however Crosby has won the big games. Alex has not. I want a cup and Crosby will help you get one.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

crosby hasn't won those big games all by himself, look who he has on his team. ive seen Ovie singlehandedly change a whole lot of games...and since im in capitals country, i have to sit through a lot of caps games

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
CavemanLawyer

I hate OV... No 'hate' doesn't even begin with what I feel for OV. Having lived in this town in MD for oh... 10 years or so I can recall me and 5 other people in my school being hockey fans/played hockey. Now with this OV thing everyone is bandwagon jumpers and they all suck his **** non stop AND trash talk. IT HAS TO STOP! Literally my facebook is covered with 'XYZ has joined OV is God group, Crosby is a *** group and If I could blow one hockey player, It Would Definitely Be Ovechkin group'. Yet these people saw their first game like less than a year ago.... ughghg. They just eat up all that Ovechkin ****. Eat it up i tell ya!

Noww...ugh...Now all these people support russia because Ovechkin so all through the olympics from these bandwagon fair weather fans i had to hear about how great russia is and all this ********. I can't stand it! AHGHGH! And you can't talk hockey with these peopel! Its insane! You bring up 'Well uh the left wing lock is-' - 'Man ovechkin is god, ovechkin dont that ****!'

So whenever I get a chance I always take a pot shot at Ovechkin on my facebook to piss off all my friends.... Which then leads them to tell me - 'Oh you're just jealous'. and such. And oh **** don't even get me started on all the 'Mike Green is the greatest defensemen of all time' ******** that was being sprouted around here.

I wish I could like the guy...but I just can't while being surrounded by these insane moronic fans.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:20 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
I hate OV... No 'hate' doesn't even begin with what I feel for OV. Having lived in this town in MD for oh... 10 years or so I can recall me and 5 other people in my school being hockey fans/played hockey. Now with this OV thing everyone is bandwagon jumpers and they all suck his **** non stop AND trash talk. IT HAS TO STOP! Literally my facebook is covered with 'XYZ has joined OV is God group, Crosby is a *** group and If I could blow one hockey player, It Would Definitely Be Ovechkin group'. Yet these people saw their first game like less than a year ago.... ughghg. They just eat up all that Ovechkin ****. Eat it up i tell ya!

Noww...ugh...Now all these people support russia because Ovechkin so all through the olympics from these bandwagon fair weather fans i had to hear about how great russia is and all this ********. I can't stand it! AHGHGH! And you can't talk hockey with these peopel! Its insane! You bring up 'Well uh the left wing lock is-' - 'Man ovechkin is god, ovechkin dont that ****!'

So whenever I get a chance I always take a pot shot at Ovechkin on my facebook to piss off all my friends.... Which then leads them to tell me - 'Oh you're just jealous'. and such. And oh **** don't even get me started on all the 'Mike Green is the greatest defensemen of all time' ******** that was being sprouted around here.

I wish I could like the guy...but I just can't while being surrounded by these insane moronic fans.
You must have never met Pittsburgh fans. Going to a school that is about 70% Penguins fans, you have no idea the amount of hatred I have built.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
McNasty

Love Ovy, but for me I'll take the playmaker over the sniper. Regardless of career success Crosby does a lot more things for a team then Ovechkin does.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I think it's always more important to build a team around a center or goalie not a left winger (even if they have one of the best shots ever), so the obvious answer is Crosby...but I chose Ovie because I will never choose Crosby's side in anything.
The guy averages almost 5.5 shots a game (career number). One of the biggest reasons he scores so much isn't because he's got one of the best shots ever, it's because he barely lets anyone else shoot.

That being said, I take Crosby because the only thing keeping me from enjoying his game is being a Penguin. I can stand Ovechkin. I was just saying this in the jersey thread-- Crosby's a better role model too...if you're building a franchise, you wanna take in as much of the community as possible. Who would you rather push, the guy who expects things to happen because he knows he's going to outwork you, or the guy who expects things to happen because his name is Ovechkin?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
The guy averages almost 5.5 shots a game (career number). One of the biggest reasons he scores so much isn't because he's got one of the best shots ever, it's because he barely lets anyone else shoot.

That being said, I take Crosby because the only thing keeping me from enjoying his game is being a Penguin. I can stand Ovechkin. I was just saying this in the jersey thread-- Crosby's a better role model too...if you're building a franchise, you wanna take in as much of the community as possible. Who would you rather push, the guy who expects things to happen because he knows he's going to outwork you, or the guy who expects things to happen because his name is Ovechkin?
I can't argue that Crosby is a good player and a role model.

I just hate his stupid face.