HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Tix Get Olympic Boost

Old
03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds Tix Get Olympic Boost

Quote:
On the heels of Sunday night’s 3-2 overtime thriller that saw Canada take ice hockey Olympic gold, interest is up for tickets across the NHL, according to ticketing search engine FanSnap.com.

The biggest winner from Sunday’s instant classic could be the Nashville Predators. The Web site reports interest in Preds’ tickets is up 10.57 percent since the beginning of the Olympics, the largest jump in the league.
http://business.nashvillepost.com/20...olympic-boost/

That is great to hear and hopefully it translates into an actual increase in ticket sales. More than anything, I have to believe this was due to the fact that you couldn't watch a single game throughout the entire tournament without hearing about the Predators at least once. The Preds got a lot of free publicity from the Olympic coverage on NBC, now the question is going to be watching how they get covered back here in Nashville...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:31 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Wow! That's fantastic. I didn't even think of this. Really cool that we are the ones who benefited most from this. Thanks for posting, Seth!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://business.nashvillepost.com/20...olympic-boost/

That is great to hear and hopefully it translates into an actual increase in ticket sales. More than anything, I have to believe this was due to the fact that you couldn't watch a single game throughout the entire tournament without hearing about the Predators at least once. The Preds got a lot of free publicity from the Olympic coverage on NBC, now the question is going to be watching how they get covered back here in Nashville...
That's the 10 Bn dollar question, isn't it

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I was estatic about how often we were commented on

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
PredsMan

it seems like everytime Shea Weber's name was mentioned, it was followed by "Nashville Predators defenseman"

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
it seems like everytime Shea Weber's name was mentioned, it was followed by "Nashville Predators defenseman"
Not just him, but a lot of our players. I heard some other NHL names being thrown around but not nearly as much as the Preds'. Maybe my ears were just more tuned into that one but I swear they said it constantly.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Not just him, but a lot of our players. I heard some other NHL names being thrown around but not nearly as much as the Preds'. Maybe my ears were just more tuned into that one but I swear they said it constantly.
Weber and Suter were both constantly mentioned as "Defensemen for the Nashville Predators".

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Every five seconds Doc Emrick was saying Suter or Weber's name. It was like he was a salesman for the team. If wasn't your imagination. Suter and Weber were making plays left and right.

Now the question becomes does the NHL go to Sochi?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Every five seconds Doc Emrick was saying Suter or Weber's name. It was like he was a salesman for the team. If wasn't your imagination. Suter and Weber were making plays left and right.

Now the question becomes does the NHL go to Sochi?
Depends on league finances. Teams were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars each day to guys not playing and the break extended the number of paid days by 10-14 over past seasons.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Depends on league finances. Teams were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars each day to guys not playing and the break extended the number of paid days by 10-14 over past seasons.
that shouldn't make any difference. $1 million paid over 25 weeks is the same $1 million if paid over 27 weeks, isn't it?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:39 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
that shouldn't make any difference. $1 million paid over 25 weeks is the same $1 million if paid over 27 weeks, isn't it?
The pay out is the same ... but it adds two extra weeks of expenses without revenue coming in.

Sochi isn't going to have the same following and impact as the games in Vancouver. Think Torino or Nagano compared to Salt Lake City or Vancouver.

Old
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
The pay out is the same ... but it adds two extra weeks of expenses without revenue coming in.

Sochi isn't going to have the same following and impact as the games in Vancouver. Think Torino or Nagano compared to Salt Lake City or Vancouver.
can't be too much in expenses since all the payroll is the same and that should be most of the costs. maybe keeping some of the arena open for practice?

Old
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
can't be too much in expenses since all the payroll is the same and that should be most of the costs. maybe keeping some of the arena open for practice?
You're still paying people while no revenues are coming in .... plus facility costs ... off ice personnel costs ....

Imagine Gannett stopping selling papers for a week, but still paying everyone and keeping all of the facilities open, counting on later revenues to make up for the money that stopped flowing in while everything stopped.

The other part of the equation is that Sochi is going to get coverage more like Nagano and Torino than Vancouver .... huge time differences, tape delayed games, not in a hockey hot bed. Odds are that the NHL still participates, but, it requires negotiations between the NHL/IIHF/IOC/NHLPA along with careful thought and planning and not emotional decisions based on the coverage of the Vancouver games.

Old
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
looks like a few Americans watched the gold game

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The Olympic buzz will die down by the play offs. I just hope the Preds get a bump in attendance for the rest of the season. We typically do well down this stretch anyway.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:33 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
You're still paying people while no revenues are coming in .... plus facility costs ... off ice personnel costs ....
I understand. I assumed that most of the full-timers were getting paid for the year and, hence, there was no additional expense. I would also assume the part-timers were not paid since there was no work for them. Most of the fixed costs are "fixed". Insurance, benefits, etc. would be the same since they're annual costs.

There would be some incremental costs but I wouldn't think a lot.

The difference between the Preds and the newspaper is that the newspaper comes out 365 days a year. Losing two weeks would mean two weeks worth of revenue lost. For the Preds, they get 41 home games and, even with the lost two weeks, they will get the revenue from the same number of home games. So, there's no revenue lost (barring, of course, any loss of interest in the team with two weeks off somewhat offset by the interest that the Olympics have generated).

Old
03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I understand. I assumed that most of the full-timers were getting paid for the year and, hence, there was no additional expense. I would also assume the part-timers were not paid since there was no work for them. Most of the fixed costs are "fixed". Insurance, benefits, etc. would be the same since they're annual costs.

There would be some incremental costs but I wouldn't think a lot.

The difference between the Preds and the newspaper is that the newspaper comes out 365 days a year. Losing two weeks would mean two weeks worth of revenue lost. For the Preds, they get 41 home games and, even with the lost two weeks, they will get the revenue from the same number of home games. So, there's no revenue lost (barring, of course, any loss of interest in the team with two weeks off somewhat offset by the interest that the Olympics have generated).
Just what type of boost in interest was there from Nagano and Torino? Expect a similar bump (or lack thereof) from the Sochi games. Prime time hockey? Not from Sochi. Mid afternoon gold medal game? Nope.

As I said, the league probably has players there ... but only after negotiations with the NHLPA/IIHF/IOC. None of us here know the financial implications of pushing the playoffs back further into baseball season, but I'm sure the league would rather not compete for TV ratings and ticket sales with MLB. What is the impact on single game ticket sales when the schedule is compressed? The Preds have an extra 3-4 games than usual over a four week period in March. What about the extra back to backs? Cost of maintaining a sheet of ice for extra two weeks?

Just think ... Cal O'Reilly just got an almost $30k paid vacation and he's the lowest paid player on the roster. Not bad for about ten days between the last game and first practice.

Old
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Just think ... Cal O'Reilly just got an almost $30k paid vacation and he's the lowest paid player on the roster. Not bad for about ten days between the last game and first practice.
So now you're back to claiming there's some big additional money that goes to the players. Are you complaining about facility expenses or are you complaining about player salaries? Make up your mind. (Edited needless slam out.. sorry)

Does Cal make extra money this year or not? Sounds to me like the answer is no. So care how the stretches of games versus the stretches of off-days is structured?

Sure, they most likely have at least some additional expenses due to the Olympic break, but until an owner opens the books to show people we have no idea. It would seem to me their would be plenty of strategies for keeping it low. None of this has anything to do with whether they should play in the Olympics next time. I don't care a whole lot one way or the other. I would think it makes sense. Your going to lose some attention anyway during those two weeks, may as well have your players promoting the league. I don't know if the players like the wear and tear of extra games or not. Seems as if they like playing in the Olympics.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-02-2010 at 10:40 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'm getting the feeling you just want to whine to act like you have some information and to hear yourself talk.
Wow...

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
OpenWheel

I came back to edit the strong version. It just annoyed me to hear someone say "we have to keep paying the players" then challenged about that say "well, facilities and other expenses cost extra" and than revert to "Cal got a 30k vacation" as if Cal just made 30k extra or played fewer games. But, it's just discussion, people can argue the points in the manner they wish.

I'll be nicer...

Old
03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
So now you're back to claiming there's some big additional money that goes to the players. Are you complaining about facility expenses or are you complaining about player salaries? Make up your mind. (Edited needless slam out..)

Does Cal make extra money this year or not? Sounds to me like the answer is no. So care how the stretches of games versus the stretches of off-days is structured?

Sure, they most likely have at least some additional expenses due to the Olympic break, but until an owner opens the books to show people we have no idea. It would seem to me their would be plenty of strategies for keeping it low. None of this has anything to do with whether they should play in the Olympics next time. I don't care a whole lot one way or the other. I would think it makes sense. Your going to lose some attention anyway during those two weeks, may as well have your players promoting the league. I don't know if the players like the wear and tear of extra games or not. Seems as if they like playing in the Olympics.

Have you considered a job with the Sports Authority? You seem like a good fit with Lawrence and North.

I never said that there was extra money to the players, just a two week gap in revenues coming in while expenses continue. That is an impact which is going to vary from team to team. The Preds just paid out over $3mil in salaries plus any off ice expenses while not taking in any revenue. Tough hit for a reportedly cash strapped team .. the severity dependent on just how paycheck to paycheck the franchise is living during the season. Even you admitted that there are additional expenses ... and for a team that is annually struggling to break even, any additional expenses are a bad thing.

It is an issue that needs to be looked at ... no matter what the emotional reaction to NHL players in the Vancouver Olympics was. Sochi and the half day time difference isn't going to be as viewer friendly. The travel is going to add another day or two to the league shut down. But, let's not look at the realities on all sides here.

Old
03-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Wouldn't the same thing happen every time there was a lengthy road trip? Nothing's coming into the coffers then, either.

Yeah, I gave up.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Have you considered a job with the Sports Authority?
Now that right there is a quality slam.

LOL. Apologies for my needlessly aggressive tone earlier 101st, you make some points. I think it does cost extra for teams to take the break. I just don't have any idea what is the magnitude.

Old
03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Now that right there is a quality slam.

LOL. Apologies for my needlessly aggressive tone earlier 101st, you make some points. I think it does cost extra for teams to take the break. I just don't have any idea what is the magnitude.
Thank you ........ I'll be here all week .. tip your wait staff. That was the kind slam ...... the cruel one is saved for a few select people on the np.com boards should they upset me again.

Every decision has a business side component that the fans too often ignore based on emotion. To get NHL players in the winter olympics requires shutting everything down mid season for 2-3 weeks. What other league has that imposition?

I expect to see the NHL players in the Olympics in 2014 .... the NHLPA is going to push hard for it because it is popular with the players, but, that won't be until after all the parties involved get together and try to balance the implications for each. The NHLPA, IIHF, NHL, KHL, whatever network gets the broadcast rights ... all need to figure out the details.

The Preds are finishing a 24 day stretch without a home game. That's a hell of a long time to go without the the gate and game related revenues.

Old
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Thank you ........ I'll be here all week .. tip your wait staff. That was the kind slam ...... the cruel one is saved for a few select people on the np.com boards should they upset me again.

Every decision has a business side component that the fans too often ignore based on emotion. To get NHL players in the winter olympics requires shutting everything down mid season for 2-3 weeks. What other league has that imposition?

I expect to see the NHL players in the Olympics in 2014 .... the NHLPA is going to push hard for it because it is popular with the players, but, that won't be until after all the parties involved get together and try to balance the implications for each. The NHLPA, IIHF, NHL, KHL, whatever network gets the broadcast rights ... all need to figure out the details.

The Preds are finishing a 24 day stretch without a home game. That's a hell of a long time to go without the the gate and game related revenues.
The Tire had 4 concerts during that stretch, I know, I know ... Clapton/Daltrey was a sell out, I don't know about the others (Mayer, Black Eyed Peas, The Hockey Tonk & something called Winter Jam)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote