HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Crosby or Ovechkin?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have start your franchise?
Crosby 48 48.00%
Ovechkin 52 52.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2010, 11:47 AM
  #26
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
The part that confuses me here is ...starting a franchise.

I think Ovechkin is significantly more entertaining to watch play...I think Crosby is the better pick if your primary motivation is winning championships.

I'm not sure which is more important...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
  #27
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Crosby may be the more complete player, but he is in no way more marketable than Ovie.

See CavemanLawyer's post.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
  #28
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I'm really amazed at the results already. 12-5 for Ovie, seriously? I was always under the impression Flyers fans were smarter than this.

Lets start our franchise with a LW or a C.
Lets have the face of our franchise not be able to speak the language of the league.

Thats two things I want.
Ovechkin's English has improved considerably, and unfortunately this has made him significantly less entertaining in interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
The guy averages almost 5.5 shots a game (career number). One of the biggest reasons he scores so much isn't because he's got one of the best shots ever, it's because he barely lets anyone else shoot.

That being said, I take Crosby because the only thing keeping me from enjoying his game is being a Penguin. I can stand Ovechkin. I was just saying this in the jersey thread-- Crosby's a better role model too...if you're building a franchise, you wanna take in as much of the community as possible. Who would you rather push, the guy who expects things to happen because he knows he's going to outwork you, or the guy who expects things to happen because his name is Ovechkin?
You are significantly underestimating the necessity of having a really good shot to achieve those totals. If you're shot sucks and you keep shooting, the coach is going to bench your ass for starters. Second, it's not that easy to get a shot off in this league...you have to have a stellar release to get that many shots towards net.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
  #29
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
I'd hazard to guess that the results would be MUCH DIFFERENT if Crosby played for anybody else but the Penguins.

I don't share the hatred for the guy as most of you Philadelphia locals do, plus he's Canadian.

I'd take Crosby over Ovechkin, and I wouldn't really have to give it much thought.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
  #30
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
The guy averages almost 5.5 shots a game (career number). One of the biggest reasons he scores so much isn't because he's got one of the best shots ever, it's because he barely lets anyone else shoot.
So you're telling me Ovie put ups numbers because he shoots a lot and not because he has a spectacular shot and talent...


RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
  #31
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The part that confuses me here is ...starting a franchise.

I think Ovechkin is significantly more entertaining to watch play...I think Crosby is the better pick if your primary motivation is winning championships.

I'm not sure which is more important...
Bingo.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  #32
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'd hazard to guess that the results would be MUCH DIFFERENT if Crosby played for anybody else but the Penguins.

I don't share the hatred for the guy as most of you Philadelphia locals do, plus he's Canadian.

I'd take Crosby over Ovechkin, and I wouldn't really have to give it much thought.
Correct sir. I dont see how you cant take off the O&B lense to look at one specific issue.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  #33
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You are significantly underestimating the necessity of having a really good shot to achieve those totals. If you're shot sucks and you keep shooting, the coach is going to bench your ass for starters. Second, it's not that easy to get a shot off in this league...you have to have a stellar release to get that many shots towards net.
Also, they only count shots that are, ya know, actual shots. Not Carter's ******** of missing the net half the time. Which means that when Ovechkin pulls the trigger, that puck is going to hit twine unless the goalie makes a save. And, like you said, no coach will say, "Hey, Ovie, we appreciate the 60 goals you'll give us, but could you tone down the amount of shots you take? Thanks, buddy."

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
  #34
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Also, they only count shots that are, ya know, actual shots. Not Carter's ******** of missing the net half the time. Which means that when Ovechkin pulls the trigger, that puck is going to hit twine unless the goalie makes a save. And, like you said, no coach will say, "Hey, Ovie, we appreciate the 60 goals you'll give us, but could you tone down the amount of shots you take? Thanks, buddy."
Well, Ovie misses the net a ton too. I haven't looked this year, but he's led the league in misses previously.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #35
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'd take Crosby over Ovechkin, and I wouldn't really have to give it much thought.
Dittoes.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #36
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'd hazard to guess that the results would be MUCH DIFFERENT if Crosby played for anybody else but the Penguins.

I don't share the hatred for the guy as most of you Philadelphia locals do, plus he's Canadian.

I'd take Crosby over Ovechkin, and I wouldn't really have to give it much thought.
Oh, there's no doubt. Even in my post I basically said Crosby is the correct choice to build a team around, but I'll chose Ovie in the poll because I cannot bring myself to vote for Crosby.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #37
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Correct sir. I dont see how you cant take off the O&B lense to look at one specific issue.
Heh, to each their own. Like I said, being from Toronto I don't share some of the same views (in general) that the board shares.

I do have to say though, when he did score the gold medal winning goal for Canada...I couldn't help but to think of each and every one of you.


One love~

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
  #38
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Ovie misses the net a ton too. I haven't looked this year, but he's led the league in misses previously.
First, just looked it up, guess who is leading the league in shooting percentage? Mother****ing Mike Knuble. Good for him.

Ovechkin is second in terms of missed shots, behind Carter who he may or may not overtake. But he will have substantially more shots than Carter by the end of the season and will likely have similar missed shot totals. Ovechkin shoots a ton and still maintains a 14.8% shot. Carter doesn't come close at about 10.4%.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
  #39
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Heh, to each their own. Like I said, being from Toronto I don't share some of the same views (in general) that the board shares.

I do have to say though, when he did score the gold medal winning goal for Canada...I couldn't help but to think of each and every one of you.


One love~
Fantastic avatar Opy.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
  #40
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
First, just looked it up, guess who is leading the league in shooting percentage? Mother****ing Mike Knuble. Good for him.

Ovechkin is second in terms of missed shots, behind Carter who he may or may not overtake. But he will have substantially more shots than Carter by the end of the season and will likely have similar missed shot totals. Ovechkin shoots a ton and still maintains a 14.8% shot. Carter doesn't come close at about 10.4%.
Eh, Ovie oscillates around. He was 10.6% last year, career 12.6%. Ovie has a better shot than Carter, but not by a mile. Similar releases, I just think Ovie has a bit more oomph. Ovie also pumps a wicked one-timer, which Carter doesn't have in his arsenal so much.

EDIT: last year Ovie had 220 missed shots, next closest was E Staal at 137 (Carter had 116).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
  #41
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,877
vCash: 500
I am going Ovechkin. Not because of my hatred towards Crosby or my bias towards Russian players. That actually has nothing to do with my decision. This is not to take away from Crosby's talent in the least, but Ovechkin WILL put people in the seats. If you are starting a franchise, you want to build up revenue. Ovechkin's marketability is FAR greater than Crosby's. There has been more Ovechkin merchandise sold than any other player since he has come into the league. They are obviously the top 2 players in the league. Which is greater is yet to be determined, and I dont want all you Canadians who now think that Crosby is your savior for winning the gold gives him the free ride either.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
  #42
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Fantastic avatar Opy.
Thank you!

Thanks to Nemesis though, he hooked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I dont want all you Canadians who now think that Crosby is your savior for winning the gold gives him the free ride either.
Understandable, but I'll take the Canadian over the European player(s) every day of the week and twice on Sunday...and this is coming from a huge AO fan.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
  #43
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Crosby Hands down.

AO is by far the best goal scoring machine I have ever seen. But Crosby wants to make the guys around him better, AO wants the guys around him to make him better. He is almost always the last guy back in his own zone to back check.


I would pick crosby by far

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
  #44
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The part that confuses me here is ...starting a franchise.

I think Ovechkin is significantly more entertaining to watch play...I think Crosby is the better pick if your primary motivation is winning championships.

I'm not sure which is more important...
This was my immediate thought as well. AO sells more tickets, but **** that, I'd be in it to win and Crosby is the only way I'd go for that. He's going to last a lot longer too I would imagine.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:27 PM
  #45
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,013
vCash: 500
Stupid question, who cares, beaten to death, etc.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
  #46
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Stupid question, who cares, beaten to death, etc.
Thanks for your post sir. Now kindly GTFO out of my thread if you dont like it.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
  #47
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
I dislike Ovechkin a great deal. Even without that, it's a no brainer for me. Crosby's a better all around player.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
  #48
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic
 
might2mash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Bend
Country: United States
Posts: 4,616
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I'd hazard to guess that the results would be MUCH DIFFERENT if Crosby played for anybody else but the Penguins.
You're right. If he played on a different team that didn't continue to tank to pick up MAF, Malkin, Staal, etc., then he wouldn't be overhyped as a leader who's won a Stanley Cup.

They're both amazing players, and I'd much rather watch Ovechkin night in and night out. But to win, Crosby it is. He's improved so much as a player, from his faceoff ability, to now being able to score goals as well and giftwrap them for his linemates, dangle in the shootout, etc. He's the model of a new-NHL player in almost every facet. You'll hardly ever see him scoring with a defenseman hanging off his back like OV could, but he finds (and earns) the open space he needs and make the team around him better.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
  #49
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
First, just looked it up, guess who is leading the league in shooting percentage? Mother****ing Mike Knuble. Good for him.
Considering he's <4 feet away from the net during any scoring chance, it's kind of hard to miss the net.

I'd take Crosby. Better choice overall for a franchise. Ovechkin I would take if I was in a small market and needed to sell seats, though.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:43 PM
  #50
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Ovechkin is the better offensive player (it's close) and is more physical, but I would take Crosby without hesitation.

He plays a more important position. He's much better defensively. He's excellent in the face-off circle. A more proven big game player. I also think if used as a penalty killer he would be dynamic.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.