HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Right now, better rivalry: USA/CAN or CAN/RUS

View Poll Results: Better current rivalry
CAN/USA 154 66.96%
CAN/RUS 76 33.04%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
  #26
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
...ummm
His point I believe is that Canada/USSR was huge.. while Canada/Russia is not the same.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:28 AM
  #27
Roo
Registered User
 
Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
Going with Russia on this.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:29 AM
  #28
stingo
Registered User
 
stingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Right now - USA Canada, only because of these Olympics.

Overall, it's Canada/Russia.

But since the question was "Right now" I went with Canada/USA

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
  #29
Sonny Lamateena
Registered User
 
Sonny Lamateena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 50
Canada vs Russia seems to have more of a feeling of bad blood maybe because of the Ovechkin vs Crosby rivalry but I think the Americans will give Canada a bigger challenge based on the young talent they are developing.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
  #30
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,677
vCash: 500
I feel it is Russia.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
  #31
Humphrey*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
I like CAN/RUS myself, but right now its gotta be CAN/USA. Epic Junior, Womens and Mens tilts have happened lately.
i hope i don't offend anyone but lol women's hockey

Humphrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
  #32
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 50
The CAN/RUS rivalry will take over as soon as Russia plays a good game against them again.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
  #33
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Canada v Russia

2 Olympics and a WJC doesnt make a rivalry imo

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
  #34
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,492
vCash: 500
Canada/USA far and away, for me. The border rivalry, the clashing of values and systems, the NHL style battles...it takes the cake.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:27 AM
  #35
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Canada v Russia.

Can't beat that. US just doesn't win enough for me to have the same feelings as against Russia.

yeah exactly the US is kind of like that annoying little brother always trying to get attention, if we didn't share a border noone would care about the states anymore than they do finland. Russia though is a different story. Be it juniors or worlds or arguing over who really has the top player they're always in the mix.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
  #36
Seaward*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Theodore's Pants
Country: France
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Still Russia for me. One rivalry is competitive
Yes, losing 7 to 3 is competive..

Versus winning one match 5 to 3 and losing the other 3 to 2 in OT.

Good call on that competiveness level.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:53 AM
  #37
Mr Lahey*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
If America can put up good teams for a few years, it will definitely become CAN-USA.

But for now, Russia is still the only other super power so I will say CAN-RUS.

Getting close tho.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
  #38
Seaward*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Theodore's Pants
Country: France
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lahey View Post
If America can put up good teams for a few years, it will definitely become CAN-USA.

But for now, Russia is still the only other super power so I will say CAN-RUS.

Getting close tho.
When was the last Russian medal in the Olympics?

Just wondering...

Wasn't 2010 or 2006...

USA had Silver in both 2010 and 2002...

Oh thats right, it was Bronze in 2002.

Super power huh?


Last edited by Seaward*: 03-02-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:04 PM
  #39
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▀████╱█████▀
 
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ====█|-
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,597
vCash: 70
Right now is the USA but in 2014 might be Russia

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
  #40
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,736
vCash: 500
USA may be the better rival this year because of the Olympic and WJC finals, but I for one have not forgotten how Russia beat us the last two years at the WC.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
  #41
Mr Lahey*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great North
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
When was the last Russian medal in the Olympics?

Just wondering...

Wasn't 2010 or 2006...

USA had Silver in both 2010 and 2002...

Oh thats right, it was Bronze in 2002.

Super power huh?
3 Olympics does not erase 60 years of history.

Also, the CAN-RUS game was almost as big as the CAN-USA game for me, despite there not being a medal up for grabs.

Like I said, though, if America can stay ultra competitive (aka contending) in every level up until the next Olympics, then things could change. USA just needs more international success to grow their consistency on all levels. I could see it happening.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
  #42
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 4420
I understand why a lot of people are saying USA/Canada... It's becoming an amazing rivalry, but I'm going with Canada/Russia. These are the two proudest hockey nations in the world, and when Canada beat Russia in hockey, it sent the Russians spiraling and made them suffer an identity crisis. Going into this tournament, people thought Russia had the most potent offense, and it was brought into question whether Canada would be able to thwart them.

Russia and Canada play the game of hockey completely different from each other. These two Nations were out to prove which system prevails in hockey. I'm sure Russia would've loved to demonstrate that an attention to pure skill and finesse would trump all. Rather, Canada's style of physicality coupled with an aggressive forecheck in all three zones proved to be the recipe for success.

Heads will roll in Russia after we laid that smacking down, and I'm very relieved Canada was able to play Russia en route to their Gold Medal, otherwise I'm sure a lot of people would still be questioning whether we could knock off the Russians or not.

Moving forward, I can see USA/Canada being the bigger rivalry. USA has adapted our style of play and passion, and over the next few years, Canada is going to be playing against their shadows.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
  #43
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donky View Post
I'm thinking anyone under 35 is going to say USA and the majority of guys over 35 would say Russia still...there is just so much history between Canada and Russia that isn't there with the USA yet...but I give USA hockey big credit for continually coming up big in these tournaments when on paper they are definitely underdogs...

Going forward and with the next games in Sochi I would be shocked if Canada met the US in the final again...but wouldn't be surprised at all to see Russia-Canada...
I agree....And i'm 22.
International resumes can't compare...
10 more strong and winning years for USA, and then I may re-think this standpoint...But as far as I'm concerned;
-Canada-Russia
-
-
-
-everyone else.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
  #44
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Canada/Russia. Still so much history there. Canada/US is a close second though.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
  #45
Rometiklan
Registered User
 
Rometiklan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
I understand why a lot of people are saying USA/Canada... It's becoming an amazing rivalry, but I'm going with Canada/Russia. These are the two proudest hockey nations in the world, and when Canada beat Russia in hockey, it sent the Russians spiraling and made them suffer an identity crisis. Going into this tournament, people thought Russia had the most potent offense, and it was brought into question whether Canada would be able to thwart them.

Russia and Canada play the game of hockey completely different from each other. These two Nations were out to prove which system prevails in hockey. I'm sure Russia would've loved to demonstrate that an attention to pure skill and finesse would trump all. Rather, Canada's style of physicality coupled with an aggressive forecheck in all three zones proved to be the recipe for success.

Heads will roll in Russia after we laid that smacking down, and I'm very relieved Canada was able to play Russia en route to their Gold Medal, otherwise I'm sure a lot of people would still be questioning whether we could knock off the Russians or not.

Moving forward, I can see USA/Canada being the bigger rivalry. USA has adapted our style of play and passion, and over the next few years, Canada is going to be playing against their shadows.
Absolutely agree with this. Canada-Russia for me as well.

Rometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
  #46
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
Canada v Russia.

Can't beat that. US just doesn't win enough for me to have the same feelings as against Russia.
This
2010 has been a great year for USA hockey- Gold in WJC, and Silver in the Olympics....Keep it up...But if you look at the international resumes, Canada-Russia stand alone..
2010 IIHF Men's World Ranking (after Olympics)

1.Canada
2.Russia
3.Finland
4.Sweden
5.USA

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olymp...d-ranking.html

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
  #47
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
USA may be the better rival this year because of the Olympic and WJC finals, but I for one have not forgotten how Russia beat us the last two years at the WC.
yeah exactly those WC games didn't have the same intense worldwide spotlight on them but they were still big games with big intensity. I remember watching 2 years ago when the game went to overtime, just nuts! and to make matters worse the damn russians won! unheard of.


The americans can hold on tight to that junior gold they won but really that team canada had a lot of head scratching decisions made before the tournament even began and the only reason people were so adamant canada was going to walk away with it was the simple fact that they'd won 5 in a row and people forgot that you can't win every year.

Until the US starts winning more regularly they're nothing. Sure they've had a few big games against Canada, world cup back in the 90s, 2002, 2010 but it pales in comparison to the Canada Russia thing. There's more big moments in everything against russia than the US.

Canada US is really a onesided rivalry. The americans see it as the biggest canadians by and large don't care, the states are simply the yappy little dog trying to bite our ankles.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
  #48
Tombernack
Registered User
 
Tombernack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
That can't possibly go over well with our American friends^

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM
  #49
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
Canada US is really a onesided rivalry. The americans see it as the biggest canadians by and large don't care, the states are simply the yappy little dog trying to bite our ankles.
Remind me again, what were the Canadian TV ratings for the Canada-Russia game last week, versus the two Canada-USA games?

Thanks!

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
  #50
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Remind me again, what were the Canadian TV ratings for the Canada-Russia game last week, versus the two Canada-USA games?

Thanks!
What was the ratings for Canada v Russia?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.