HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sizing a skate (not the same old question).

Old
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
cmdrdredd

vCash: 500
Sizing a skate (not the same old question).

My cousin wanted to start skating and we went to size him up for some hockey skates. He normally wears about a 9 or 9.5 shoe but typically buys a 10 for comfort. Having said that we started with an 8D skate size and it had some room in it. Basically when we did the finger behind the heel test you could fit one finger. When we moved to a 7.5D you could not fit a finger. He's not going to grow any more so we don't need to error on the larger size to accomidate. We finally tried a 7 and really couldn't squeeze in comfortably at all. He said it was too tight to be comfortable to wear. So the problem we have is a 7.5 fits and is snug but the toe doesn't hit the toecap and a 7 seems to be uncomfortably small. It's not the width, just the overall feel of the skate being "small".

So would a half size be really too big for comforts sake if it's snug and the heel locks in good? Foot doesn't move around. What do you guys think? It's hard because you don't get to skate on them before buying them and once you're out the door with em you're stuck with what you got.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Hrad

If he's not growing anymore you probably should go with the ones that are snug now, or if those are a tiny bit too big then just wear thicker socks when skating.
Should be fine IMO.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:01 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

7.5. The toe doesn't absolutely have to hit the toecap and it sounds like it's a good fit otherwise.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:39 AM
thedonger

did he try on a bunch of different models or just one?
there's all different kinds of variables he could be talking about when he mean they feel "small". they may be fine lengthwise, but they might just not have enough volume and/or might be too narrow. if that's the case, then he needs to look into several different models.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Snug is perfect. When standing, put one foot in front of the other and shift your weight to the toes...the heel shouldn't come up or move around otherwise the heels are too wide. Walking around with the skates laced up, the feet shouldn't slide around in the boot. Without laces, sit down and kick the heels back, pull the tongue forward, then lay a pencil across the eyelets of the boot and slide it down until it hits the tongue...you want the top of the foot just barely touching the pencil or close to it, otherwise the boot is too deep or shallow.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 07:01 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
did he try on a bunch of different models or just one?
there's all different kinds of variables he could be talking about when he mean they feel "small". they may be fine lengthwise, but they might just not have enough volume and/or might be too narrow. if that's the case, then he needs to look into several different models.
We tried CCM U+ 09(after baking), Reebok 5k and 9k, Bauer One95, Bauer Vapor x50, and some Easton S15.

Out of them all he liked the CCM in 7.5 and the Reebok 9k in 7.5. The problem he had with a 7 was he just didn't like feeling like he was hitting the end. I guess to me, that doesn't bother me so it seems odd because he said it wasn't crushing but brushing. It wasn't width at all and I asked, he said it felt on on the sides unless he really pulled down on the laces, but backing them out and starting over at my recommendation was better for him. So today we went back and walked out with a 7.5 Reebok 9k. After baking it he said it really seemed to feel good, but with obvious pressure points on areas you just have to wear in from ice time.

Yes he was looking at expensive skates, but it's his feet not mine and even when I told him you don't have to buy a $500 skate he seemed to like the feel better. I suppose that's understandable, different materials and all.

Old
03-01-2010, 09:34 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
7.5. The toe doesn't absolutely have to hit the toecap and it sounds like it's a good fit otherwise.
^^^ I dont have my toes touchin the end, man that would cause endless aggrevation and probably pain if they were. Mine are just at the tip though couldn't really be any closer without touchin so I got lucky there.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
^^^ I dont have my toes touchin the end, man that would cause endless aggrevation and probably pain if they were. Mine are just at the tip though couldn't really be any closer without touchin so I got lucky there.
I've never known another way, and I feel more secure on the ice with a snug boot.

Old
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I've never known another way, and I feel more secure on the ice with a snug boot.
My foots snug wouldnt want it any tigher or I cut off circulation. I gotta make sure I get the perfect tightness cant just pull em as hard as possible for me personally. Dont know if the skate is just literally the perfect fit to my foot or what but my foot doesnt slide around at all 100% locked and loaded. =]

Old
03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
My foots snug wouldnt want it any tigher or I cut off circulation. I gotta make sure I get the perfect tightness cant just pull em as hard as possible for me personally. Dont know if the skate is just literally the perfect fit to my foot or what but my foot doesnt slide around at all 100% locked and loaded. =]
Well, I have heard it said that feet are almost as varied as fingerprints so I don't doubt that this type of feel would not be for everyone.

Old
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
We tried CCM U+ 09(after baking), Reebok 5k and 9k, Bauer One95, Bauer Vapor x50, and some Easton S15.

Out of them all he liked the CCM in 7.5 and the Reebok 9k in 7.5. The problem he had with a 7 was he just didn't like feeling like he was hitting the end. I guess to me, that doesn't bother me so it seems odd because he said it wasn't crushing but brushing. It wasn't width at all and I asked, he said it felt on on the sides unless he really pulled down on the laces, but backing them out and starting over at my recommendation was better for him. So today we went back and walked out with a 7.5 Reebok 9k. After baking it he said it really seemed to feel good, but with obvious pressure points on areas you just have to wear in from ice time.

Yes he was looking at expensive skates, but it's his feet not mine and even when I told him you don't have to buy a $500 skate he seemed to like the feel better. I suppose that's understandable, different materials and all.
all those boots you mentioned are meant to be baked. and he has to remember that once they are, his heels will sink back into the boot a bit taking his toes slightly away from the toe cap. just another thing to consider. also, boots can always be stretched a bit wider, but you can't make them narrower.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
cmdrdredd

Yep I know. Anyway he seems happy enough. I just wanted to help him find something he'd like. The guys at our LHS are great too, must have spent 2 hours there and they never lost patience. Back and forth ya know?

Old
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
haha, see Im the exact opposite. My toes touch the end and I've been told to get a half size larger.

03-02-2010, 12:38 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
haha, see Im the exact opposite. My toes touch the end and I've been told to get a half size larger.
If you are in constant discomfort wouldn't see why ya dont. Then again just another one of those things in the end thats what someone is comfortable with. Ive heard about ppl wearing 3 or more sizes smaller....T_T

Old
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
If you are in constant discomfort wouldn't see why ya dont. Then again just another one of those things in the end thats what someone is comfortable with. Ive heard about ppl wearing 3 or more sizes smaller....T_T
My brothers both wear their skates looser than I do. I feel like my skating gets "sloppier" if i do.

Each to their own.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote