HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell's season might be over

Old
02-26-2010, 03:44 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
They are already into the LTIR exception space and they will be essentially swapping Mitchell for Bieksa.
I know. I don't know what I wrote that would suggest that I don't know that.

That doesn't change the fact that they'll have over $12,000 in daily LTIR exemptions with Mitchell and Bolduc on LTIR. Now whether or not they can use that for a permanent replacement depends on Mitchell's prognosis.

Quote:
If Mitchell is put on LTIR there would likely be no way to bring him back before the play-offs assuming he can get healthy.

If they anticipate getting him back before the play-offs then there is no real room to make a move.
Agreed. My post was based on the premise that they believe he's done until the playoffs. I thought that was pretty clear.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Reign Nateo

Very bad news for the Canucks if Willie can't return. He may not be a complete hockey player, but he is our best defensive d-man and without him we're just not as strong. Gillis will need to consider making a deal here. I could see him giving up significant assets as any defenceman we get would potentially be needed in the future if the Canucks decide to move on from Willie Mitchell.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Did you not read the first line of my post where I said "If Mitchell is indeed on LTIR for the rest of the year...". Bieksa's cap exception couldn't be used on a permanent replacement because he was expected back. If Mitchell isn't expected to return, his LTIR exemption is available to be used towards an acquisition.

Right now the Canucks are paying $303,010 in daily salary which is $8,710 over the daily upper limit. If Bieksa is taken off of LTIR and Mitchell put on, the team would then have $20,868 in available daily LTIR exemptions (Mitchell's $18,135 + Bolduc's $2,733). If they are paying $303,010 and the upper limit is $294,300, that means they are currently using $8,710 of their LTIR exemption. That leaves $12,158 in daily salary left to use under Mitchell and Bolduc's LTIR exemptions which equates to $2.35 million in annual salary.

Add in the demotion/waiving of the player that would be replaced by an acquisition and there's even more room. If the Canucks brought in a defenseman and waived Lukowich, they would have room for about $3.9 million in annual salary minus any buffer to avoid the Flames' situation from last season.
you're wrong

wrong wrong wrong

ctrl + v

wrong

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Very bad news for the Canucks if Willie can't return. He may not be a complete hockey player, but he is our best defensive d-man and without him we're just not as strong. Gillis will need to consider making a deal here. I could see him giving up significant assets as any defenceman we get would potentially be needed in the future if the Canucks decide to move on from Willie Mitchell.
I think that's the way MG needs to approach this: give up the assets necessary to add a guy that can take Mitchell's spot on the roster next season, rather than just finding a rental.

that doesn't mean it can't be UFA he trades for, just make it one in or entering his prime, rather than an older guy on the downslope of his career.

too bad about Mitchell. I'm not his biggest fan, but he's played well this season. whatever happens through the rest of the season though, I have to believe this spells the end of Mitchell's Vancouver tenure, unless he takes a significant pay cut.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:32 PM
BoHorvatFan

The one year we don't save cap space....

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
The time might have come to move Demitra. Good that he is playing well. I'd keep him, but the Canucks might need the cap space, and he hasn't been around that much this year.
If the Canucks get Commodore and Pahlsson they will be good.

Sedins, Burrows
Raymond, Kesler, Grabner
Hansen, Pahlsson, Samuelsson
Glass, Rypien, Bernier

Edler, Ehrhoff
Commodore, Bieksa
Salo, O'Brien/Nycholat

Luongo

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
The time might have come to move Demitra. Good that he is playing well. I'd keep him, but the Canucks might need the cap space, and he hasn't been around that much this year.
If the Canucks get Commodore and Pahlsson they will be good.

Sedins, Burrows
Raymond, Kesler, Grabner
Hansen, Pahlsson, Samuelsson
Glass, Rypien, Bernier

Edler, Ehrhoff
Commodore, Bieksa
Salo, O'Brien/Nycholat

Luongo
No thanks to that.

I'm not really sure how sending out $4 million in expiring salary in return for $6.4 million in long term salary helps the Canucks at all.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
No thanks to that.

I'm not really sure how sending out $4 million in expiring salary in return for $6.4 million in long term salary helps the Canucks at all.
Subtraction by addition, duh.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Johnny Canucker

couple of things.

1. Even before I knew Willies season was over, as SOON as I saw that hit from behind, I wondered how many games that puke Malkin would get. I guess hes figured out that if you are a superstar in the NHL, you can do anything you like with no recourse. (ala Mark Messier Stabbing a guy with his stick and getting 3 games, when Donald Brashear would have gotten the whole season etc etc etc)

2. Willie Mitchell has played his last game in a canucks Sweater. Good 4 or 5 years from you Willie, you will be missed. He will get the same money somewhere else, just not here.

3. We will be in big trouble if we cannot find a suitable replacement. WM just eats up too many minutes, and against teams TOP lines. now what? With Salo always out, we are in big trouble.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:44 PM
endlessdream83

This is a reach... because we're up against the cap ceiling, maybe they know that Willie will be okay to come back for the playoffs, but can't actually come out and say so as teams aren't allowed to keep guys on the LTIR if they're healthy... if we put him on LTIR that will give some of the cap room needed for a possible trade/acquisition - then, come playoff time, Mitchell steps back in AND we also have the player we acquired as an 'upgrade'.

It's a <i>severe</i> reach, of course... whatever happens, hopefully Willie will be okay in the long run, and I hope we have a shot at keeping him; he's a player that will decline gracefully and still has a number of years left, as even if he loses his speed, he's very, very smart on the ice.

endlessdream83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Riven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffCourtnall View Post
now what? With Salo always out, we are in big trouble.
Maybe we should finish playing the current season, before we start to push the panic button for next season.

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Jesus Quintana*

If Mitchell is done for the year, the Canucks have NO shot in the playoffs. Their defense was way too poor defensively with him in the lineup, let alone without him. Bieksa coming back with Mitchell out will see Bieksa miscast in the role of shut down d-man and the team will experience horrid defensive collapses as was the case earlier this year.

Gillis either has to rectify this by making a significant move next week, or throw the towel in on the season. Mitchell is that important to the team.

Jesus Quintana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
David71

try to find another top 4 dman to replace mitchell! asap.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
If Mitchell is done for the year, the Canucks have NO shot in the playoffs. Their defense was way too poor defensively with him in the lineup, let alone without him. Bieksa coming back with Mitchell out will see Bieksa miscast in the role of shut down d-man and the team will experience horrid defensive collapses as was the case earlier this year.

Gillis either has to rectify this by making a significant move next week, or throw the towel in on the season. Mitchell is that important to the team.

You keep telling yourself that. The Canucks have surrendered the 3rd fewest goals against in the league...and that's with Luongo missing lots of gametime due to injury at the beginning of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
try to find another top 4 dman to replace mitchell! asap.
Dan Hamhuis is a guy I would target.

03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post

You keep telling yourself that. The Canucks have surrendered the 3rd fewest goals against in the league...and that's with Luongo missing lots of gametime due to injury at the beginning of the season.

Dan Hamhuis is a guy I would target.
Isn't our goal differential the highest its been in years

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven View Post
Maybe we should finish playing the current season, before we start to push the panic button for next season.
ummm............I WAS talking about this season..................

Old
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

I wouldnt go that far, but yes, in the playoffs (if we make it) a guy that plays 20+ minutes against teams top lines will be sorely missed.

Old
03-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Riven

Quote:
ummm............I WAS talking about this season..................
You stated that Mitchell will get the same money somewhere else and then followed it up by stating that we won't be able to find a replacement, thus the team is screwed. I assumed you were continuing on the assumption that Mitchell will sign elsewhere next year and Gillis would need to find a replacement for him in the off-season.

As far as this year is concerned, I can't see the point in giving up significant assets to replace an injured Mitchell. Next season we will begin to see some young talent available to help with our third line needs and defensive call-up depth from the Moose. Now is the time for Gillis to show patience and to stay the course.

If Mitchell is not returning next year, we should be able to pick up veteran defensive help for a low asset cost in the off-season.

Of course, if someone is off-loading a contract for little in return, another Ehrhoff deal, then I am all for shoring up the defence!

Old
03-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Johnny Canucker

I said that ?

Quote:
You stated that Mitchell will get the same money somewhere else and then followed it up by stating that we won't be able to find a replacement, thus the team is screwed. I assumed you were continuing on the assumption that Mitchell will sign elsewhere next year and Gillis would need to find a replacement for him in the off-season.

As far as this year is concerned, I can't see the point in giving up significant assets to replace an injured Mitchell. Next season we will begin to see some young talent available to help with our third line needs and defensive call-up depth from the Moose. Now is the time for Gillis to show patience and to stay the course.

If Mitchell is not returning next year, we should be able to pick up veteran defensive help for a low asset cost in the off-season.

Of course, if someone is off-loading a contract for little in return, another Ehrhoff deal, then I am all for shoring up the defence!

Old
03-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Wetcoaster

Baumgartner has been recalled. It looks like Mitchell is not ready to come back.
http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...-manitoba.aspx

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:26 AM
Johnny Canucker

something tells me that AV has been BBM'ing Mike Gillis pictures of a 'HELP' sign.

I cant see us not picking up Hamhuis or somebody by wednesday.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Riven

Quote:
I said that ?
Okay, to be precise, "we are in big trouble".

Old
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Gorge Canuck

I bet he is back in a week or two lol.

Gorge Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

If we lose Mitchell its going to be alot harder to replace him than this.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Riven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
If we lose Mitchell its going to be alot harder to replace him than this.
What this? You want me to spell out all the frickin details of what it takes to get a defenseman in the summer? I have to go get a list of all the free agent defensemen? Do an analysis of the Canucks' player contracts to determine who would fit?