HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Latest and Greatest Waiver pickup thread!

Old
03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
John Hancock

vCash: 500
Jones, Lisin, and Voros (in that order.)

If we are looking to move veterans for picks, why not pick up incredibly cheap replacements? Sure, these players haven't lit it up on other teams, but neither did Brule or Potulny, and currently they are 2 of our most consistent players.

If our goal is to move players for picks, we still need to plan to field a full team to end the season. The worst that happens with these waiver acquisitions is we get cheap players that help us tank next season. The best that happens is we find a diamond in the rough.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
harpoon
FOB

I sure do remember a conversation with a certain member who was telling me that Lisin ( back in his days with the Yotes ) was better than any young talent on the Oilers roster - and better than Gagner in particular . We'd better grab him up .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Just wondering if anyone knows who was the last player the Oilers picked up on waivers and when?

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
MS

Honestly, if Edmonton doesn't put a claim in on Jones they need their heads examined.

This player is 25, a 210 lb winger who has scored at a 15-goal pace this season in limited 4th line minutes, and has a contract under $1 million/year. He showed substantial goalscoring ability in college and the AHL, and hasn't really received a great opportunity on a deep Nashville team.

This is exactly the sort of player that a last-place team should be taking a look at bringing in and trying to develop. Big wingers who can pot 15-20 goals are not exactly easy to find.

You kinda have to wonder why they didn't take him of Nashville in the Grebeshkov deal ... would have made that trade look a lot better to the fanbase in Edmonton.

________

Lisin is garbage. Awful hockey player.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Honestly, if Edmonton doesn't put a claim in on Jones they need their heads examined.

This player is 25, a 210 lb winger who has scored at a 15-goal pace this season in limited 4th line minutes, and has a contract under $1 million/year. He showed substantial goalscoring ability in college and the AHL, and hasn't really received a great opportunity on a deep Nashville team.

This is exactly the sort of player that a last-place team should be taking a look at bringing in and trying to develop. Big wingers who can pot 15-20 goals are not exactly easy to find.

You kinda have to wonder why they didn't take him of Nashville in the Grebeshkov deal ... would have made that trade look a lot better to the fanbase in Edmonton.

________

Is Ryan Jones on waivers?

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
An excellent point . I'll admit to not knowing much about Jones , but if he's anything like you make him out to be then why wouldn't Tambellini be able to get him thrown into the deal ? Just snapped up the second and ran is my guess .

________

Quote:
Looks like dsf doesn't post here anymore , but he was quite the fan .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
I'm thinking we won't take Jones, and this is an indication of it. Would they have turned down Grebs for Jones + a 2nd rounder when they were planning to waive Jones, anyway? Doubtful. That sends up a flag for me that the Oilers have no interest in Jones. I don't know why, though. Taking chances on cheap, young-ish players is what we need to be doing during a rebuild.

-JH.

Last edited by John Hancock: 03-02-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old
03-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

They should pick up Ryan Jones and Lisin. If for nothing but filling roster spots if we are able to deal Pies, Moreau etc.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
reginaoil

[QUOTE=John Hancock;24234123]
Quote:
You kinda have to wonder why they didn't take him of Nashville in the Grebeshkov deal ... would have made that trade look a lot better to the fanbase in Edmonton. QUOTE]

I'm thinking we won't take Jones, and this is an indication of it. Would they have turned down Grebs for Jones + a 2nd rounder when they were planning to waive Jones, anyway? Doubtful. That sends up a flag for me that the Oilers have no interest in Jones. I don't know why, though. Taking chances on cheap, young-ish players is what we need to be doing during a rebuild.

-JH.
Wouldn't they get him at a discounted price if they pick him up on waivers? I wouldn't mind him as a possible replacement for Pisani or Moreau.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 06:57 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Nilsson in the previous two seasons was one of the most efficient GF/GA players on the team. He tends to be complacent, but he has shown an understanding of the game and has gotten the puck moving in the right direction for us many times in the past.
gotten the puck moving in the right direction, or stepped on the ice when the puck was heading in the right direction?

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:01 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
gotten the puck moving in the right direction, or stepped on the ice when the puck was heading in the right direction?
He played on so many different lines in some many different occasions, but always had pretty good GF/GA numbers under MacTavish. For all the crap he gets for stopping trying, he has back-checked and promoted positive puck movement for long stretches for us in the past.

His actual efficiency probably has a lot to do with MacT line-matching and keeping bad match-ups away from Nilsson, while Quinn simply rolls lines.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Wouldn't Ryan Jones have been picked up right away by edmonton if he was going to be claimed? Wouldn't the ticker just say "oilers claim F Ryan Jones"? This is pretty surprising to me this is exactly the type of guy we need. Somebody to bridge the cap between the 3rd line and top six.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I'd definitely grab him if I were the Oilers... he's cheap, young, has good size and is at LEAST as good as any other player in the bottom half of their forward lineup (hell he's probably a top 6 forward on their team right now). I don't think you can really lose picking him up. Grab him.

Looking at some of his stats comparisons to other Preds and other current Oiler forwards I'd say for his price he's a good pickup.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/new_...&team=NSH&pos=

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 03-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 08:49 PM
reckless_abandon

What time tomorrow do we learn if players were picked up? Noon EST?

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
Yep.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
Wouldn't they get him at a discounted price if they pick him up on waivers? I wouldn't mind him as a possible replacement for Pisani or Moreau.
Depends if he's headed down or up. I'm not sure. I only know he's on waivers because of the OP. Even so, he's only making $950k next season. It's not like there's a real benefit to getting him half-price. We have a rich owner now, so there's not much point in saving $475k for one season. Maybe that was our plan, though. Nashville agrees to give us a 2nd rounder, and pay half of Jones' salary next season? We'll see if the Oilers pick him up, I guess.

-JH.

Old
03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Wouldn't Ryan Jones have been picked up right away by edmonton if he was going to be claimed? Wouldn't the ticker just say "oilers claim F Ryan Jones"? This is pretty surprising to me this is exactly the type of guy we need. Somebody to bridge the cap between the 3rd line and top six.
My guess is that a team could wait till the waiver deadline to send in a claim. Anybody know how the system works?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:11 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless_abandon View Post
What time is that mountain, 9:00 am?

-JH.

Old
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM
bzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
My guess is that a team could wait till the waiver deadline to send in a claim. Anybody know how the system works?
As far as I know, any team can send a claim, and after the 24 or 48 hours or whatever it is is over, the team that is lowest in the standings gets first dibs. If the end highest team makes a claim, and the top team in the league makes one, but noone else does, the 2nd team would get the player. Basically we get dibs this year.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
bzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
What time is that mountain, 9:00 am?

-JH.
10 mountain, 9 Pacific.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Valens

Lisin would be jolly

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Lisen or Jones seems to be the concensus but what about Chelios that guy would be great on this team teaching the young whipper snappers just what it takes to be in the NHL till your 50.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:00 PM
TakkoTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows who was the last player the Oilers picked up on waivers and when?
Weren't McIntyre and Boulerice the last two Waiver pick ups? Krys Kolanos was the last one before them, I think.

-Takko

TakkoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
reckless_abandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakkoTime View Post
Weren't McIntyre and Boulerice the last two Waiver pick ups? Krys Kolanos was the last one before them, I think.

-Takko
I had hope for Kolanos when we nabbed him. Smac had some heroic moments, I loved the hit on Boyd.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:26 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Lisen or Jones seems to be the concensus but what about Chelios that guy would be great on this team teaching the young whipper snappers just what it takes to be in the NHL till your 50.
That what I was thinking. Chelios could be our 6th/7th DMan for a season and be a mentor to the young guys.

And out of Lisin and Jones, I definitely take Jones.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote