HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Sound of Vancouver when Crosby Scored

Old
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM
SteelCityWings1034

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
My question to you is: were you there? Have you been to both a Superbowl victory and a gold medal olympic hockey game on home soil? If not, then you cannot be the judge, I haven't been to a super bowl winning city myself so I cannot be the judge. All I can say is that I personally have been to and reside in the most densely populated cities in the world and have experienced them through their high points, and they come no where close.

Have you been to Beijing on Chinese New Year's, or the Imperial Palace in Tokyo during Golden Week? I have, and I can personally say that this experience is the most memorable yet. The announcers through the speakers are quite loud but the crowd background noise is not nearly as loud and I would know since I was quite literally standing less than 100 feet from them. The noise of the crowd and fans completely drowned out the speakers.

The final medal in a record breaking Olympics; the Gold Medal Hockey game where Canada was defeated by the US during the Round robin's and then to start the game with a 2-0 lead to only squander it by taking their foot off the "gas pedal" the momentum in the opponent's court. The disappointment shared by 10,000+ individuals after Parise's goal, the tension was magnified by the 10+ minute intermission, all of us were looking at each other disappointed - wondering, worrying looking at each other for comfort "can we do it? should we be prepared for the loss?", then the period starts, all 10,000+ of us collectively hold our breaths, it all culminates in sudden death; one goal was all it took. Two weeks of partying, meeting strangers, cheering Canada - all the while; a nagging feeling, secretly worrying whether or not our team has it to bring the arguably most important gold medal home on our own soil. All of this exploded from my heart and soul after Crosby netted that goal.

We are Canadians, this is the sport where we grew up playing, we spent countless hours playing on the streets only interrupted by the odd "Car!" cry where we would proceed to move our makeshift nets aside. Some of us wake up at the brink of dawn, walk through knee high snow to the local pond and put on our skates to play a little ice hockey (obviously not us Vancouverites as it's not cold enough here, but many of our Canadian brethren in the prairies and Ontario/Quebec still do this today.) As kids, we don't watch football, we don't watch baseball, we don't watch basketball, we watch hockey! Hockey grew with us, hockey was there when we were little kids playing on the streets, hockey was there when we were bored and were flipping through the channels, hockey was there on TV on Saturdays, hockey was there in the background during countless dinners, hockey was there when we sat on the well worn edge of our seats hoping, praying for that next goal, hockey was always there. As we Canadians grew up; we experienced the great one that is Gretzky on TV, the 2002 Olympic Gold and it all culminated here, where we as Canadians can show the world at OUR Olympic games: this is our passion, this is what we play, and most importantly this is who we are.

Sure, you can say I may be the only one who felt that way, but because I felt this way I screamed till I was hoarse, along with 33,019,000 Canadians who screamed and cheered for their own reasons, so don't you tell me it was the speakers.
LOL awesome.

dont you dare friggin try to tell us it was the speakers pal!!!!

SteelCityWings1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Amazing video! What a ride it was for 17 days, almost everything I did revolved around the Olympics and it just kept getting better and better. Never before have I become so patriotic and proud to be Canadian, never before have I wanted to sing our anthem loudly, these Olympics just took over me and the whole country and it was incredible to witness.

The Crosby goal, just epic. I don't know if I'll ever see something so incredible again, let alone the Olympics back in Canada. It was a truly special moment that stands alone in time. I'll always remember being with an amazing group of 50 rowdy Canadians on the patio on Elgin street and almost collapsing the entire tent as we all jumped up and down barley containing ourselves. Than bringing the party down the market and up to parliament was something I will always treasure.

The city of Vancouver was so lucky and fortunate to have had this experience, it was an amazing spectacle!

Spezza19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
My question to you is: were you there? Have you been to both a Superbowl victory and a gold medal olympic hockey game on home soil? If not, then you cannot be the judge, I haven't been to a super bowl winning city myself so I cannot be the judge. All I can say is that I personally have been to and reside in the most densely populated cities in the world and have experienced them through their high points, and they come no where close.

Have you been to Beijing on Chinese New Year's, or the Imperial Palace in Tokyo during Golden Week? I have, and I can personally say that this experience is the most memorable yet. The announcers through the speakers are quite loud but the crowd background noise is not nearly as loud and I would know since I was quite literally standing less than 100 feet from them. The noise of the crowd and fans completely drowned out the speakers.

The final medal in a record breaking Olympics; the Gold Medal Hockey game where Canada was defeated by the US during the Round robin's and then to start the game with a 2-0 lead to only squander it by taking their foot off the "gas pedal" the momentum in the opponent's court. The disappointment shared by 10,000+ individuals after Parise's goal, the tension was magnified by the 10+ minute intermission, all of us were looking at each other disappointed - wondering, worrying looking at each other for comfort "can we do it? should we be prepared for the loss?", then the period starts, all 10,000+ of us collectively hold our breaths, it all culminates in sudden death; one goal was all it took. Two weeks of partying, meeting strangers, cheering Canada - all the while; a nagging feeling, secretly worrying whether or not our team has it to bring the arguably most important gold medal home on our own soil. All of this exploded from my heart and soul after Crosby netted that goal.

We are Canadians, this is the sport where we grew up playing, we spent countless hours playing on the streets only interrupted by the odd "Car!" cry where we would proceed to move our makeshift nets aside. Some of us wake up at the brink of dawn, walk through knee high snow to the local pond and put on our skates to play a little ice hockey (obviously not us Vancouverites as it's not cold enough here, but many of our Canadian brethren in the prairies and Ontario/Quebec still do this today.) As kids, we don't watch football, we don't watch baseball, we don't watch basketball, we watch hockey! Hockey grew with us, hockey was there when we were little kids playing on the streets, hockey was there when we were bored and were flipping through the channels, hockey was there on TV on Saturdays, hockey was there in the background during countless dinners, hockey was there when we sat on the well worn edge of our seats hoping, praying for that next goal, hockey was always there. As we Canadians grew up; we experienced the great one that is Gretzky on TV, the 2002 Olympic Gold and it all culminated here, where we as Canadians can show the world at OUR Olympic games: this is our passion, this is what we play, and most importantly this is who we are.

Sure, you can say I may be the only one who felt that way, but because I felt this way I screamed till I was hoarse, along with 33,019,000 Canadians who screamed and cheered for their own reasons, so don't you tell me it was the speakers.
YES!! Amen to that and cheers! Perfectly said and every last word of it is true.

Hockey is OUR game, we eat, sleep and breathe it. It's everywhere. It's a religion.

EVERYONE became united on Sunday afternoon and well for the last 17 days.

A shame we really don't know the next time we will see the country in the same way.

Old
03-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Tak7

That was awesome.

The entire country shut down for almost 12 hours and on Monday, was there anything else people were talking about?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
That was awesome.

The entire country shut down for almost 12 hours and on Monday, was there anything else people were talking about?
When most people woke up hungover and extremely happy, that's all anyone wanted to talk about and hear the recaps/highlights.
I must have watched the clip of that goal, the post-game analysis, interviews with players and the montage of all the medals won and the whole Olympics.......about 20 times. I couldn't turn the TV off Sunday night and it was so weird not seeing: Olympics 12-6, 7-12 and 12-2 all day and every day on 3 networks.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:11 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
That video was a shot of Livecity Yaletown... and I'm glad to say that I was there along with atleast 4000+. Believe me, the speakers were far from clear and that was mostly actually crowd noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tdR...layer_embedded
No, you can clearly here the play by play in the video. It is the speakers.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:50 AM
1234rer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Yes, you can hear the speakers, until Sidney Crosby scored. After that goal, it was nothing but the live crowd sound polluting Vancouver.

It was something you had to experience in person in order to understand. It's like watching a Hockey game on t.v compared to live and in person.

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Patchey*

Of course you can hear the speakers, do you think we all watched the game at live city in silence? They were blaring the game over the loudspeaker at a concert venue RIGHT across the water from the camera. That was ALL crowd noise, it was literally deafening, no matter WHERE you were, it could be heard. Traffic jams filled with cars honking, people yelling and screaming, boats wailing on their horns. I even heard a few trains nearby. It was a once and a life time experience, with 35 million people all celebrating in unison.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Other Little Mikey

Guys, ignore the naysayers. If they don't want to understand they're not going to.

I shared this on facebook and everyone's going nuts for it. Thanks, OP.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:43 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

That was simply amazing as many have said before me. Wow.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:49 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:

That. That is the single best post I have ever read on this site. Ever. And nothing needs to be added to it or subtracted from it. You just explained what hockey means to almost every Canadian. I don't think I will ever read a better post. Thank you. Keep posting gems like this please.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Some time in your life, I hope you get to experience something like we all did on Sunday.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
YogiCanucks

Sunday night was CRAZY downtown.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Villert

vCash: 2340
Quote:

^ This.

I was at Robson Square when Crosby netted that goal - and let me put it this way; the ground shook and I still have no voice and can only hear out of one ear... It was absolutely the most insane thing I have ever experienced.

Villert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
It's the sound carried away from LiveCity Yaletown. Watch the video below your post - I could hear concerts every night from the venue and I live about a 15 minute drive from the venue. The sound is carried well across the water. The crowd you hear is actually outside in the streets and at LiveCity watching the game - it isn't something pumped off the tv.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
TheKingPin

Thats really cool. I remember a MUCH smaller thing when the Flyers scored in OT against the leafs. Thanks for posting.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
Quote:

I got teary eyed just reading this, great post.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

Thats amazing... Right around where I live too... Quite a ways away from many celebration sites. Amazing it was that loud.

03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
letsgosabres5225

Wow! That was really cool.

letsgosabres5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villert View Post
^ This.

I was at Robson Square when Crosby netted that goal - and let me put it this way; the ground shook and I still have no voice and can only hear out of one ear... It was absolutely the most insane thing I have ever experienced.
Just got back from Vancouver today (spur of the moment decision after getting contacted by former JET friends meeting up there upon hearing Canada would be in the gold medal game). Was also at Robson Square at the time, and was similarly impaired. That was incredible, and totally worth the price of last minute airfare.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Some time in your life, I hope you get to experience something like we all did on Sunday.
I have. It's called two superbowls and a Stanley cup victory within the last five years. Don't even try to say "it's not close" because it is the exact same thing. It is only the exact same thing if every single person in the city was out partying and the entire city was shut down. I mean the entire city, even side streets. There is nowhere to go. Not to mention the million people parades two days later, that are just as fun and crazy.

I know Vancouver didn't have the latter, but if the entire city was shut down, and I mean ENTIRE not just a few streets then it was like Pittsburgh's celebrations.

Holmes catch in the superbowl > Crosbys goal. So don't think I haven't experienced something like you folks have.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
I have. It's called two superbowls and a Stanley cup victory within the last five years. Don't even try to say "it's not close" because it is the exact same thing. It is only the exact same thing if every single person in the city was out partying and the entire city was shut down. I mean the entire city, even side streets. There is nowhere to go. Not to mention the million people parades two days later, that are just as fun and crazy.

I know Vancouver didn't have the latter, but if the entire city was shut down, and I mean ENTIRE not just a few streets then it was like Pittsburgh's celebrations.

Holmes catch in the superbowl > Crosbys goal. So don't think I haven't experienced something like you folks have.
You really have no idea do you. Holmes superbowl catch was great for the CITY of Pittsburgh. But the WORLD was watching the Olympics and the entire nation shared in the Gold Medal. Anybody who compares the Superbowl to the Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Game is downright clueless. Welcome to the ignore list bud.

Jedi Pengu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:43 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:

How are those two even remotely comparable?

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Heat McManus

a good 3/5 of that is Bettman orgasming.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:06 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Pengu View Post
You really have no idea do you. Holmes superbowl catch was great for the CITY of Pittsburgh. But the WORLD was watching the Olympics and the entire nation shared in the Gold Medal. Anybody who compares the Superbowl to the Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Game is downright clueless. Welcome to the ignore list bud.
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.

The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.

Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.