HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MTL/STL] Matt D'Agostini for Aaron Palushaj

Old
03-03-2010, 12:16 AM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Wow. This is a great trade for us. I love Palushaj`s potential. I have liked him since his WJC performance. I know he is undersized, but he is a slick forward with good passing skills. From the limited time I have seen, good wheels and drives to the net. Great deal.

GOOD JOB GAUTHIER.

Hope he can work some magic with Mara.
When I first read about this deal and people were saying Palushaj was undersized I thought he would be smaller than what he was...I guess the NHL as really changed when 6' 185lbs is considered undersized...Guys like Yzerman and Sakic were about the same size and I don't remember those guys being considered undersized...

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:17 AM
tizzel

Bravo Mr. Gauthier

tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Adam91

I really like this trade.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
By the way, I'm actually entirely shocked that St-Louis did two things here:

1) gave up on Palushaj. I understand that he's still a medium to long shot type of player, given his attributes and limitations concerning the role he can play on a team, but actually giving up on a prospect is a rare move. Palushaj has less than stellar stats at the AHL level, but he started the season at 19-years old. And this is after excellent performances at the NCAA level. The fact that a strong scouting team in St-Louis has given up on him is peculiar, and begs the question why. This leads into the following point...

2) I'm shocked that D'Agostini carried any value whatsoever. I thought he might have some marginal value sufficient enough to be claimed on waivers by some middling team, but completely dismissed the notion that he'd carry any substantial value.

So I suppose the question is: did D'Agostini carry any value, or did St-Louis just give up on Palushaj altogether?

Or, more likely, was it a bit of both?
Or maybe young potential 20 to 25 goal snipers are more valuable around the league than HFboard posters think? I don`t know. One thing is for sure, there is a clear disconnect between the value that we perceive of our players than what actual league officials think. Or maybe the Blues just didn`t like what they see in Palushaj. However, I highly doubt that`s the case. Strickland said that the Blues were very high on Palushaj just last year. I doubt much would have changed in the past year.

Eitherway, we get ourselves a decent prospect for a player that is no longer in our plans. Also, Dagger is RFA this year. Palushaj has a contract to 2012. If anything, we deal with one less contract head ache this summer.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
When I first read about this deal and people were saying Palushaj was undersized I thought he would be smaller than what he was...I guess the NHL as really changed when 6' 185lbs is considered undersized...Guys like Yzerman and Sakic were about the same size and I don't remember those guys being considered undersized...
Sakic was always considered undersized. That's why he formed the midget line in the olympics with Kariya and Fleury.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Honestly i think its just this board that thinks he's undersized. Anyone under 6'0 or 200 pounds is considered a midget. Crosby is 5'11 200. Palushaj is either 5'11 187 or 6'0 183. Seems like a perfectly average sized player to me.

It's funny because nobody seems to be happy with the bigger players we have because they're too slow. Well guess what: if we had big players that were really fast, we'd probably have the best team in the league! Who would be stupid enough to give away players like that??

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Honestly i think its just this board that thinks he's undersized. Anyone under 6'0 or 200 pounds is considered a midget. Crosby is 5'11 200. Palushaj is either 5'11 187 or 6'0 183. Seems like a perfectly average sized player to me.

It's funny because nobody seems to be happy with the bigger players we have because they're too slow. Well guess what: if we had big players that were really fast, we'd probably have the best team in the league! Who would be stupid enough to give away players like that??
Anaheim

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
after midnight too. gainey was always sleeping at this time
lmao +1

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
THE HOFF

Quote:
Or maybe young potential 20 to 25 goal snipers are more valuable around the league than HFboard posters think? I don`t know. One thing is for sure, there is a clear disconnect between the value that we perceive of our players than what actual league officials think. Or maybe the Blues just didn`t like what they see in Palushaj. However, I highly doubt that`s the case. Strickland said that the Blues were very high on Palushaj just last year. I doubt much would have changed in the past year.
Eitherway, we get ourselves a decent prospect for a player that is no longer in our plans. Also, Dagger is RFA this year. Palushaj has a contract to 2012. If anything, we deal with one less contract head ache this summer.
great, great post imho. that part means dago had to have ''some'' value ... otherwise there can't be any logical explanations ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mike8

Quote:

Wow. I tried reading your post, but every sentence was followed by a contradictory sentence. Was that intentional?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

In case I ever need to know, how do you pronounce his last name?

Pa-loosh-adge?

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:31 AM
hockey jedi

His name is pronounced "Pa Loosh Hodge"

Again, he is a first year pro. I have to believe this guy will go commando in the gym this summer. Obviously, he knows the value of training from his time in the US National team program. It is totally possible to gain 15 pounds of muscle over the summer. I think it takes a year to see where you rate. I expected Palushaj to have a nice year in the AHL next year, and maybe compete for a spot on the roster the following year. Someone mentioned on our board that he was the 4th rated Blues prospect on arguably the best pool of talent in the NHL.

hockey jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I saw he was 5'11.

Though, Mike Richards, Dustin Brown, Brendan Morrow, etc are that size. You just need to throw your body around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsman56 View Post

Pa-loosh-adge?
Nope, Pa-Loosh-eye or at least at world jrs it was.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

I think that from the Blues standpoint, you look at a guy like D'agostini, that got 21 pts with MTL last year and was a ppg player with Hamilton earlier that year, and you say to yourself: he's just having a tough year. Honestly, maybe he is. When the guy broke in with the club last year, he was really confident and it showed. He's completely lost it this year. Maybe Palushaj has looked the same this year with Peoria. The only reason why i think we definitely win this trade is simply because Palushaj gets to learn under Boucher from this point on. That and he's 3 years younger than D'agostini.

Old
kfox9611

Hey guys, Blues fan here.

Good trade for both teams. AP is a great young talent and is maybe a year or so away from making an impact. He has what it takes to be a top 6 forward, and never gives up. Kids got heart.

And we're hopin that D'Agio comes back to form. We have a history of making good trades for both teams, so hope this is another!

PS: I live bout half hour away from Toronto, and theres no better feeling than watching them lose Hate the Leafs, keep beatin um.

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guest1467

Another added bonus of this trade. This really helps Hamilton in their Calder Cup push down the stretch.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Pa-loosh-adge?
As per an off-season interview Palushaj did with Bluenote Zone.

Itís actually PUH-LU-SHY

http://bluenotezone.com/2009/10/10/aaronpalushaj/

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

Pa-loosh-adge?

Ask him:

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Anaheim
Ha! Touche! (accent)

Old
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
tizzel

i bet Pa-loosh-ayyye

tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Ask him:

Haha ya bastidge, thanks Wats.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:36 AM
sheed36

Anyone else think this will be the Habs only move? Other than Mara who else would the Habs move? Actually there doesn't seem to be many names out there this year around the NHL that seem to be on the market...

I think the move tonight will be it for the Habs and it will be another boring deadline day for Hab fans concerning Habs movement....

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I saw he was 5'11.

Though, Mike Richards, Dustin Brown, Brendan Morrow, etc are that size. You just need to throw your body around.

Nope, Pa-Loosh-eye or at least at world jrs it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
As per an off-season interview Palushaj did with Bluenote Zone.

Itís actually PUH-LU-SHY

http://bluenotezone.com/2009/10/10/aaronpalushaj/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Ask him:

Thanks, thanks, and thanks

habsman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
guest1467

I can't even express how happy I am with this trade. Loved Palushaj every time I have seen him play, and D'agostini was never going to make an impact with the Habs.

This is seriously a great return.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Wow. I tried reading your post, but every sentence was followed by a contradictory sentence. Was that intentional?
Yea when I think out loud, I tend to state my points and then try to think of a point that would disprove it so it makes me think more.

But you can see my original point. The perception that some of our players have no value is quite flawed. It just brings into question for me, what kind of value some of our other plays, like Spacek or Gomez, would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I think that from the Blues standpoint, you look at a guy like D'agostini, that got 21 pts with MTL last year and was a ppg player with Hamilton earlier that year, and you say to yourself: he's just having a tough year. Honestly, maybe he is. When the guy broke in with the club last year, he was really confident and it showed. He's completely lost it this year. Maybe Palushaj has looked the same this year with Peoria. The only reason why i think we definitely win this trade is simply because Palushaj gets to learn under Boucher from this point on. That and he's 3 years younger than D'agostini.
I agree. Both clubs roll the dice with these assets they are getting back. If Dago returns to form, Palushaj might not be a bad price to pay. Similarly, for us, if Palushaj reaches his potential, this trade could be a win for us.

The biggest thing is that we get rid of a RFA when we already have so many at the end of this year.

Next up Mara.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote