HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#61: Flyers @ Lightning - March 2, 2010 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
03-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, from a pure hockey standpoint, he's a better player.

I just like Scottie a lot more, I still have trouble justifying a couple of Downie's antics. I know he's supposed to be an agitator and he's just doing his job, but that whole Bruins thing really rubbed me the wrong way. But hey, I guess that just means he's good at his job.
Yeah, he'll always be a player that might go off at any moment, but those players are capable of maturing. We've seen it with Carcillo this year. He's not perfect yet, but he's getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There's no way to prove or disprove this notion but I believed at the time Downie needed a change of scenery and that whatever he accomplished in a new location, he wouldn't have done so with the Flyers. I continue to have that belief. I think it went beyond coaching. He doesn't have the baggage from the association with the jersey that he would have maintained.
I feel differently, but I won't make a big deal out of it beyond this post.

He just needed some patience, some ice time, and a coach that didn't play favourites. He's still very young.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Yeah, he'll always be a player that might go off at any moment, but those players are capable of maturing. We've seen it with Carcillo this year. He's not perfect yet, but he's getting there.
Yeah that's a good point and he has a coach in Tocchet who's certainly an expert on that kind of stuff.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Yeah that's a good point and he has a coach in Tocchet who's certainly an expert on that kind of stuff.
...it goes without saying that Stevens wasn't the right coach for him. I'd list it as reason #1 he didn't last here.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:41 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
...it goes without saying that Stevens wasn't the right coach for him. I'd list it as reason #1 he didn't last here.
Yeah it's definitely up there, I tend to agree with MSE on this one, Downie would have had a massive target on his back as long as he was here, but that's one now we'll never know.

You could certainly say that Holmgren jumped the gun in dealing him.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Garbage Goal

Richards was like a new man last night. That gold medal might have been the best thing for him. Our defense played as great as it usually has been lately. Leighton did decent. Made some important saves, but I felt he could have done better.

Richards, Gagne, Giroux, and Carcillo all with big games. I felt Gagne was probably the least impressive of the four though.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Yeah it's definitely up there, I tend to agree with MSE on this one, Downie would have had a massive target on his back as long as he was here, but that's one now we'll never know.

You could certainly say that Holmgren jumped the gun in dealing him.
Yeah, who really knows what would've happened to him here. Whatever the case, I'll always believe we gave up on him too early.