HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
  #626
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
I thought the Garbagekov label was dropped around Christmas his first season in Edmonton.

He was solid for the 2nd half of the 07-08 season and all of 08-09 and had a rough path this year.

In terms of not losing sleep over Grebeshkov, I don't know. Seems to me a 26 year old defenceman entering his prime is exactly the kind of guy you want on your team going forward, especially when your hope to be out of this mess in the next 3-4 years.
Seems to me you were saying the same thing about Horcoff last year.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
  #627
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Seems to me you were saying the same thing about Horcoff last year.
Do you want to go down that road? I mean, I could counter with your comments on the coaching last year as well, not that it would serve any real purpose.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
  #628
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Although some people would like to suggest that Grebeshkov is a shooter, he certainly hasn't been so far. Averaging under 1 shot per game in the last 3 years, he's well behind Souray, Visnovsky and Gilbert. Even Staios shoots more than him.
Well it would stand to reason that he would rank behind those three guys . They have been the three main PP shooters for the Oilers over the past three seasons . They've got most of the first unit PP time .

My point in the GDT was not that Grebs is some kind of all star shooter . Let me repeat that . I never stated that Grebeshkov was an all world shooter . However some posters were making it seem like he was some kind of shooting handicapped player while on the Oilers roster . I don't see that as being the case .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
  #629
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,503
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Do you want to go down that road? I mean, I could counter with your comments on the coaching last year as well, not that it would serve any real purpose.
I think you are being a little generous in your assessment of Grebeshkov. I used the Horcoff reference as another example where you did the same thing which makes it relevant. Im not taking a shot at you personally. Feel free to bring up any old comments. Im not foolish enough to believe I have never been wrong before.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
  #630
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
What can I say, I have a hard time approving deals simply because it's my favourite team that made them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Yeah, 'cause everyone really loves the Oilers management around here.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:54 PM
  #631
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Seems totally subjective to me. That would explain his baffling rating system.
You mean the rating system that happens to magically wipe out Horcoff's league-worst Plus-Minus?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:49 PM
  #632
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Very little of what I have said is speculation. You categorically do NOT "get" it; and the cap space doesn't really play into it.

If my evaluation was too difficult for you to understand, why don't you head over to OilersNation and read Jonathan Willis' take, which explains the cap issue very plainly. Then, if that is not enough, go ahead and take a look at Lowetide's examination of the deal and read the comments section.

Finally, would it be too much to ask for you to add a modifier to your name like "slow" or "dull" so that anyone at a glance will be able to sort you out with the other two clowns in this thread and add you to the ignore list once and for all? At least they had the middling acuity and good grace to label themselves accurately.

thanks!
This is a brief picture of the route suggested by Mr Willis. And really once you replace the buyouts and departing players you are in still in cap hell.

So really if you trade Grebs (like Tambi did) it gives you another 3 million to spend.

The numbers I have in there are rough and I didn't put too much thought into them but I don't think you are going to get any of those players signed for much less.

Aside from Taylor hall I don't really see much improvement to that line up that way.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
  #633
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
So, despite all the hullabaloo over Grebs' 1-1-2 line, Denis managed to finish the night a mere even despite getting both points at ES. I don't get it; isn't this exactly the kind of thing the out-scorer folks deride? I mean, yeah, he looked skilled and collected some counting numbers, but he didn't help the Preds gain any advantage when he was on the ice.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:07 PM
  #634
John Hancock
Registered User
 
John Hancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Seems to me you were saying the same thing about Horcoff last year.
A 26 year old defenseman is not the same as a 30 year old forward, not to mention the difference in their salaries.

Lots of defenseman don't have real impact years until 28-30 years old. Both Visnovsky and Souray were 28/29 before they had a breakout year. If Grebs turns into Visnovsky in another 3 years, I'll be a tad disappointed in this trade we made, considering that's exactly when we'll be needing good defensemen.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:44 AM
  #635
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
You have to...or Tambellini has to.
Yes. In magical happy land where any deal you want to make can be done. This isn't NHL 10. Truth is, the situation you say we should go with Grebeshkov (qualify him and then trade him next year) can be done with both Moreau and Staios, since they are both already signed for the following season. In fact, it's easier to trade Grebeshkov for a rental now, than trade Moreau and Staios as you'll likely get significantly less interest since neither Moreau nor Staios would be rentals.


Quote:
What's the point of picking the low hanging fruit when it's the stuff at the top that is breaking the tree?

As I said, I may sing a bit of a different tune at 1:00 tomorrow if he manages to surprise me with additional significant moves but as it sits I see more of a guy that either;
He doesn't even have to make the trades at the deadline as far as I'm concerned. If he trade off some pending free agents for rentals then great, but there's functionally no difference in trading someone like Moreau or Staios now, or before the start of next season. This is because a team trading for either one of them now is pretty much accepting to take Moreau/Staios for the following season as well.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:56 AM
  #636
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Yes. In magical happy land where any deal you want to make can be done. This isn't NHL 10.
Let's agree to refrain from the NHL 10 comments because it really has no bearing on the task at hand. Tambellini has a job to do, other GM's have demonstrated that the job can get done. It's time for him to step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Truth is, the situation you say we should go with Grebeshkov (qualify him and then trade him next year) can be done with both Moreau and Staios, since they are both already signed for the following season. In fact, it's easier to trade Grebeshkov for a rental now, than trade Moreau and Staios as you'll likely get significantly less interest since neither Moreau nor Staios would be rentals.
I don't see it as an either/or situation.

As far as Moreau goes, you trade him because you need to change the culture of the team. His cap space is a fair ways down the list imo.

Staios is a guy that gets talked about but if Iwas calling the shots I would do exactly that. He is a stand up veteran, he is over priced for next season. I would have no problem keeping him around until next trade deadline.

Of course that requires priority A gets dealt with which is dealing one of the crippling contracts such as Souray or Vishnovsky and that takes us back to Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
He doesn't even have to make the trades at the deadline as far as I'm concerned. If he trade off some pending free agents for rentals then great, but there's functionally no difference in trading someone like Moreau or Staios now, or before the start of next season. This is because a team trading for either one of them now is pretty much accepting to take Moreau/Staios for the following season as well.
Trading a pending UFA does virtually nothing for this team right now. It just provides an illusion that something is being done.

If Pisani, Comrie or Strudwick get moved then fine, if they don't....oh well. It means nothing in the big picture.

As for having to deal at the deadline, sure he doesn't have to but when you consider that there are only really three opportunities to do business - deadline, draft and around July 1 when free agency kicks in - when you add up his pattern of saying he is assessing, saying that changes will be made, saying wait for the draft, wait for free agency, wait for the deadline and repeat without getting anything tangible done it paints an unsettling picture.

What can I say, I'm sceptical he is capable of doing the job he was hired for.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:08 AM
  #637
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
I have been really baffled by posters in this thread. I tried my best to engage in intelligent dialogue... and it was a good discussion until these "people" showed up. Some countervailing arguments were put forth, several posters agreed, and several agreed to disagree.

Then these 3 happened. Its not really surprising because IATL tends to pull this kind of stuff in virtually every thread, and the other two don't come off as the type to engage in intelligent discussion.
hahahaha, what a princess.

I ask questions that completely dismantle your argument and the best you can come up with are more pitiful attempts at insults.

Do yourself a favor and never join a debate team, you might get your feelings hurt

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
  #638
Real_Estate-Agent
Registered User
 
Real_Estate-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,454
vCash: 500
Theo Peckham says he will miss his chauffeur...

"You do hate to see a guy like Grebeshkov go. He's a really nice guy. He always drove me to the rink (when I was called up)."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...847/story.html

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.