HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Jones (Claimed by Edmonton)

Old
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Couldn't we have at least got a late round pick for him.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I told you this is a mistake. THE FIRST TEAM on the waiver list claims him. Feel free to tell me how Poile made the right decision, but once again, this just shows how he has a disconnect with the market and his players.

Bad Karma

Hmm, could have kept that 2nd rounder and traded straight up.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
have a heart attack why don't you ... the kid didn't produce for us
And Wade Belak does? Are you kidding me? When was the last time Belak did anything useful for this team? We just gave up an asset (one that a few teams probably would have at least given us a pick for) for nothing. Stupidity.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
I get your frustration Joe. I have assumed you knew him from college. But the guy just never made a good enough claim to a spot here and with both Hornqvist and Wilson blowing by him on the depth chart we really werent going to be doing him any favors by leaving him here as a permascratch or on the 4th line.

Thats what I think those who say we "misused" Jones by putting him on the 4th line are not considering... with the rise of both Wilson and Hornqvist, there is no slot anywhere but the 4th line for Jones...

looking at next year, there still wasnt going to be a spot anywhere above the 4th line for him.

and in 2 years when we have spots he would have been a UFA...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I get your frustration Joe. I have assumed you knew him from college. But the guy just never made a good enough claim to a spot here and with both Hornqvist and Wilson blowing by him on the depth chart we really werent going to be doing him any favors by leaving him here as a permascratch or on the 4th line.

Thats what I think those who say we "misused" Jones by putting him on the 4th line are not considering... with the rise of both Wilson and Hornqvist, there is no slot anywhere but the 4th line for Jones...

looking at next year, there still wasnt going to be a spot anywhere above the 4th line for him.

and in 2 years when we have spots he would have been a UFA...
No, what I am saying is the first team on the Waiver list picked him up. Not pitts, not anaheim, the very first GD team. That is a sign of a bad salesman. It is probably better for Jones and us if we parted ways, but to part ways for nothing is down right moronic.

Old
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
predfan24

Not having Jones doesn't upset me. He's shown he has good hands around the net and not much else. The things that upsets me is the first team possible claimed him. That shows there was interest. How could we not have gotten at least some sort of draft pick for him?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Not having Jones doesn't upset me. He's shown he has good hands around the net and not much else. The things that upsets me is the first team possible claimed him. That shows there was interest. How could we not have gotten at least some sort of draft pick for him?
That is my point exactly. It's not that we got rid of him, more that I am pissed we got nothing for him.

Old
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
There's nothing to guarantee that this wasn't PART of the deal. Edmonton knew they had first crack. I'm not sure why things are done that way, but it wouldn't be the first time it went down like that.

Overall...it's a million dollars that was being wasted on a guy that might have potential, but hasn't put it together for us. I'd rather it go toward a more proven commodity.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
This is exactly my point. I have stated for weeks to ship Jones off because he clearly didn't fit. I am not going to act like he meant anything to this team - he did not. He was less than worthless to Trotz. Fine. I get it. I was not even much of a proponent for giving him more ice time, BUT I did think he had value elsewhere.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
deleted

I agree with Joe, and to add to this. If we don't get someone before 2 what happens during this playoff run and in the playoffs? We can assume atleast 1 injury. Who steps in? Belak! Santorelli I guess, but really. If anything Jones could fill and and presumably put a puck or 2 in for us.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Oh well, Poile didn't get a 6th for him.

No worries on my part. It's freed up cash, roster spot, and with the prospects coming out of Juniors and NCAA, the Preds might be getting to a point where they are prospected out.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Seeing potential is great and all, but I cite Peverley's waiver deal because Atlanta went out and stated they tried trading for Rich but Poile didnt. How could he be surprised Peverley would get claimed when a team pretty much said they wanted him and would even give something up to get him.
What gave you the impression that Poile thought Peverley would clear waivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Zidlicky for Jones: The only potentially good trade Poile has made the last 6 years.

I guess this now falls in the "fail" category.

Maybe Grebeshov will play lights out for us.
Jones wasn't the centerpiece in that deal. The 2nd round pick was. We used that pick to draft Budish. If Budish busts, then you can claim it is a fail, lol

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

maybe edmonton didn't have space for him yeaterday. or maybe it was a deal that we didn't want him playing against us for whatever reason. maybe it was part of the deal. who knows. that is an extra million useful dollars to build this team next year.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Teams fighting for a playoff spot do not want a player like Jones. They want players like Walker, Skoula, and Ward who have playoff experience and bring veteran presence. Jones is worthless to teams fighting for a playoff spot.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe edmonton didn't have space for him yeaterday. or maybe it was a deal that we didn't want him playing against us for whatever reason. maybe it was part of the deal. who knows. that is an extra million useful dollars to build this team next year.
I think you are on to something. Someone said in another thread that rosters expand beyond 23 players as of today. So maybe Edmonton wanted him the whole time but didn't have the room for him yesterday.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
yes, I kind of think this also.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Hockey FAN8888

I was looking around on the main board and other team boards and there seem to be quite a few people that seem disappointed that they were not able to pick up Jones.

Hockey FAN8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Grass is greener syndrome. Not everyone can play Trotz's system. Heavily reliant on Defense with offense in premimum.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
For a guy who was below average in 5-on-5 and the PP his numbers sure are above average for this team in both categories. 4th and 6th respectively this year and last in PPG/60mins. 4 PPG in 87games ... which would be 5th for either of the past full seasons. In limited play. .17 goals per game in 10:42 ... only Scatchard had a better goals/game in less time .... or less than 14+mins TOI per game.

Defensively, I'll agree that he is below average. Offensively ... he's a 13-14 goal per season guy over a full season. Just the secondary scoring with the ability to score on the powerplay that this team could use ... if he wasn't skating with Belak or not playing so often.
Sometimes you have to look pass the stats and actually watch the guy play. I was a big fan of his, wanted him to be successful, saw potential. It isn't there.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Sometimes you have to look pass the stats and actually watch the guy play. I was a big fan of his, wanted him to be successful, saw potential. It isn't there.
We'll have to agree to disagree on what he can bring.

Want to take the over or under on him scoring 4 more this season?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

I'd say push.

1) He will get more playing time simply because of the lack of talent in Edmonton.

2) Trotz played him to his strengths and I expect a slight increase not much.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:

I definitely want in on this one. I'll take the Way Over for a one year subscription to the Tennrag.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I definitely want in on this one. I'll take the Way Over for a one year subscription to the Tennrag.
I agree with Partisan. I say 7 more goals.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

I guarantee he'll get more than 4 this season if he gets 10 minutes a night. The Oilers were eliminated from the playoffs last night. All they have to play for are jobs next season. These guys are going to be hungry, they are going to simplify their game, and they are going to be a real difficult team to play against for the remainder of the season with boat loads of new found work ethic.

Jones will benefit from the simplified game and pick up a lot of goals around the crease as the Oilers simply make their offense getting the puck to the net from all angles whenever possible.

It will be interesting to see though how he fits into the Oilers lineup next season after they've had time to retool their lineup and have made their own evaluation of him...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote