HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WOLSKI has been dealt

Old
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
hughdreamz

vCash: 500
WOLSKI has been dealt

How does everyone feel about this?

to PHX W. Wolski
to COL K. Porter and P. Mueller

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Mules
Ouch!

Check the trade deadline thread up.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

This deal will work out for both teams as both Mueller and Wolski both needed a change of scenery.

Wolski has been known to live the party lifestyle and hasn't always been well conditioned or bought into team systems.

Mueller just needs to find the jam he had in his 1st season.

Wolski started off strong this season, but has kind of been lost in the mix behind players such as Chris Stewart and Brandon Yip on the wing. Mueller can play the point on the PP as well as play all 3 forward positions.

Throwing in Kevin Porter you are getting a very mature young player who will also be able to step into the Colorado line up. He was a stud his last year at the University of Michigan where he scored 33 goals and came out and won the Hobey Baker as the top collegiate player in the country.

Overall I believe both teams won this deal, Phoenix got a top forward who can step in and play the 20-23 minutes they were getting from Scottie Upshall before he was injured and Colorado is getting another big strong body. Stewart, Yip, Jones, Mueller, all young guys with strength down low who give guys like Stastny and Duchene room to play with the puck. Add in Kevin Porter and you are just giving the team more depth on all 4 lines for the playoff push.

Colorado may not be done...

shiftycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:01 PM
18Mike18

i hate this. must be cause hes lazy at times? and wants a lot of money?
still ill miss him

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Separate threads can be created for any official Avs transactions; rumors and general league chatter should remain in the stickied thread.

I think this comes down to Wolski being arbitration eligible and the Avs aren't willing to pay him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
PeterTheGreat

It's no coincidence that Wolski got into 3 separate coaches doghouses. There's obviously a problem there.

I don't mind the deal too much from an Avs POV. Porter sounds like he could be a good player. People think he's a throw in much like we thought about Wilson last year, but look how he turned out. Also Mueller is more of a shooter than Wojtek so he fits our needs better. Plus he can play the point on the PP and he's RH. Lets hope he finds his game.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Finally Wolski starts producing and we immediately trade him away. Idiotic. Freaking Mueller and Porter? We can't get better value out of Wolski?

Basically we are quitting before playoffs. Even If we had small chance, this only makes us worse.

And seriously, Wolski >>>> Mueller and fcking Porter, who played 4 NHL games this year.

This is just ****ing sad trade. Why make **** like this.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Mules
Ouch!

Seriously, think about Sherman guys.

He signed Anderson, NOT top notch "goalies" like Martin Biron He seems to think out of the box type.

Also, he traded Ryan Smyth for Kyle Quincey. I remembered the brouhaha it caused on this board that day.

Those two deals turned out well for us. Have faith in Sherman folks...

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Chileiceman

Wolski on the phone now on S-net. Surprised to be traded, had no conversations regarding an extension. Found out he was traded while eating breakfast. Had a good relationship with Sacco. Seems pretty happy to be on Phoenix.

I'm going to miss Wolski. Not a fan of this trade at all. He's probably going to rip it up in Phoenix.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post

I think this comes down to Wolski being arbitration eligible and the Avs aren't willing to pay him.
Posted via Mobile Device
You pay your best players like they are supposed to. Otherwise you will see same **** happen to Colorado what happened to Buffalo and Atlanta. Best players leave.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 2800
It's not a deal that makes you want to kiss your dog, no. But it has implications beyond this season. Wolski has frustrated all of us, as well as every NHL coach he's played for. Yet with the numbers he's gotten he was due a big raise that few of us would have agreed he'd earned. Sherman obviously felt the same way and decided to drop him before it got to that point. And while Mueller hasn't impressed lately, he's got tremendous upside. If he pans out this deal does a lot for the future of a franchise that - remember - is rebuilding, despite what their record may be. And if Mueller winds up as a bust, so it goes. We'll have to wait and see what Wolski gets paid and what he looks like for Phoenix next year.

As for the Avs this year, the day isn't done. They could very well be after a bigger name UFA to get them through this season. But I like that management recognizes that the focus is on the future.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Fluke

I'm gonna miss Goalski and I wish him the best. But it was apparent things weren't working out for him here.

I really hope Mueller can turn it around, there's no denying he has potential. Here's to hoping he can realize it. Porter is a decent prospect too.

Guess we'll have to see how this pans out for us. Mueller is playing tonight.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Rest assured Avs fans, you will be happy with Mueller. The religious "rumor" has a lot of popularity due to the one who made it (Pierre Mcguire) but that has not been proved to be true at all. Who knows, it may be, it may not. All i know is that if this deal opens Muellers eyes, it will be scary for the the western conference.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You pay your best players like they are supposed to. Otherwise you will see same **** happen to Colorado what happened to Buffalo and Atlanta. Best players leave.
Wolski isn't one of our best players (or at least won't be in a couple years). He's not part of the core of this team.

Stastny, Duchene, Galiardi, Stewart, O'Reilly, Quincey and Anderson are the core parts of the team. They are the ones who have the heart to do something. Why pay Wolski the 4-4.5 million he may get and risk losing a core piece?

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Very disappointed we did not get something better...

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Charlie Whiskey

Wolski, if he does love the party lifestyle, will love living in Tempe or Scottsdale...

Charlie Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Just hit me:

We are playing the Coyotes tomorrow

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:27 PM
garno

vCash: 159
At 21 Mueller is still a solid prospect

garno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:30 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Problem is, he's not the Avs best player. I'd hardly put him top 5. Basically it comes down to either paying him now an undeserved amount due to LW being a weak position league wide or trading him. They feel there are players that can fill in the void just fine all while saving money. Like people have mentioned, it's no coincidence he ended up in the doghouse of three coaches. If he's ever gonna "rip it up" anywhere, the head that is firmly planted in his buttocks needs to be removed and he needs to play, not float. Like so many trades, it doesn't look good right now, in the moment, but longterm it could be a blessing in disguise.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:30 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Just hit me:

We are playing the Coyotes tomorrow
Something tells me, Wolly will be one of those players that will love to light it up against the Avs, like every other player we've dealt to another team.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

TFP is reporting we also gave up a 4th round pick. You kiddin' me?

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
The Situation

I'm just worried we have too many centers. Can Mueller and Porter play wing?

Or this could mean we're trying to trade Stastny.

The Situation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
jaisen73

I'm reading good things about Porter; that he'll never be a star but could turn into a solid NHL player.

Mueller is younger thank Wolski and will cost less to re-sign, so the cap relief issue cannot and should not be ignored. I think the Avs want to be players this summer and they're saving a few million in this.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Erickkelly26

I must say, i'm gonna miss the guy, but at least i won't have to scream at the tv everytime Wolski doesn't finish a check or doesn't back check hard enough.

Think this deal was reviewed by Lacroix?

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Charlie Whiskey

I think the Post said something about both players being able to play on the wing. Also, again, they are both younger, and likely cheaper. Looks fine to me, I don't mind Wolly for Mueller straight up, to be honest.

I wonder what other offers were possibly on the table?

Charlie Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote