HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Deadline Thread - Part II

View Poll Results: hypothetical -- what would you give for Kaberle?
Hodgson (blue chip prospect) 3 5.36%
Schroeder, Bernier, 4th (next-to-blue chip prospect, decent young player) 17 30.36%
Grabner, 1st (next-to-blue chip prospect, top pick) 11 19.64%
Raymond, 3rd (quality young roster player, mid pick) 0 0%
a lesser pkg -- some combo of our bottom 6ers, mid prospect, mid pick 9 16.07%
Dont want him at any price 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
It's too bad we can't slot Hodgson into that third line spot.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
bpoulsen

Send a message via ICQ to bpoulsen
Just a question ... Is the waiver rule still in effect AFTER the trade deadline?

Old
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Kid_Roll

Are you insane? This place is relatively calm compared to how it can normally get. The general vibe is that people are a) happy with Alberts but b) bummed we couldn't fix our bottom 6.

The fact that no teams made a deal that was one of those "OMG WE COULD HAVE DONE THAT" has made this place pretty calm for HF boards land.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Just a question ... Is the waiver rule still in effect AFTER the trade deadline?
Yes I believe it is, however if you pick someone up off waivers after the trade deadline the player cannot play for you in the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Are all the trades done? I'm surprised there hasn't been a couple more ... though Calgary and Edmonton have kept me laughing today.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
VanEric

The way I see things, every team in the West has a significant weakness this year. Should be an interesting playoffs.

Old
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Are you insane? This place is relatively calm compared to how it can normally get. The general vibe is that people are a) happy with Alberts but b) bummed we couldn't fix our bottom 6.

The fact that no teams made a deal that was one of those "OMG WE COULD HAVE DONE THAT" has made this place pretty calm for HF boards land.
I've seen a lot of people writing the season off, which is hilarious.

Old
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Anyone else in this chat with Eklund, Bob McKenzie, and some other people on the Canucks page?

God Eklund is a retard.
He's a moron. and his side is laughable.

Old
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I completely agree with this.

People here are ****ed.

We have a large window of opportunity to win a cup. You have to think the best year for that is still 2 or so years away. We're a contender right now, for sure, but this will be a competitive team for a long time, and it's only going to get better when we can add guys like Hodgson and Schroeder into the lineup. We have a team that can be competitive with any team in the league in a 7 game series. Would we be favoured over Chicago or San Jose? No. Is it completely unbelievable to say we could beat them in a 7 game series? No.

This team this year has the tools to make some noise in the playoffs. If things go right, they have the tools to make the conference finals...Maybe even the Cup finals and then from there who knows. Would I put money on it? Probably not, but was this really our year in our window anyway?

Christ, people overreact. We're still a very good team with a decent enough chance at a cup. We'll have our time as "THE" team to beat in a year or two, but there was no move to be made today that was going to make us that anyway. Even if we picked up a Dan Hamhuis and a Raffi Torres...Does that really change anything? Are we then favoured over Chicago or San Jose? No, probably not. We're a good team with a fighting chance, and some people are writing us off like we've got no hope and should just forfeit.
Stop it! This logical posting is driving me to distraction. I come to HFBoards to laugh at the silly concepts people have about the game of hockey. You are messing it up with your logic.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:

I'm just happy i'm not a Flames fan right now..

Old
03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
TrueCanuckle

For f sakes every year! The Canucks had so many good opertunities to get a good d-man and what do you know mike gillis does nothing. We can say good-bye to a good run for the stanley cup f....

Old
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Derek (Canucks.com):
Come close to trading Schneider? "No, we didn't."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:10 Derek (Canucks.com)
1:10
This is a bit frustrating to hear. It just seems like he has no place or future on this team yet it consistently seems that he's not worth as much as we/management would like.

Honestly, the only redeeming quality of today's deadline day has been the complete fail by the Alberta teams, in particular Sutter's continuing dwindling of his mental faculties.

Old
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
That's prettymuch how I feel. I do know that Wellwood played great in the playoffs last year and so did Johnson, so for what that's worth we can at least hope it happens again this season.

Then again guys like Wellwood and Johnson might even get worse, who knows.

It's hard to find players better than these two that make the same amount of money (or less) without throwing in draft picks that nobody wants to give up.

Old
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL KING View Post
For f sakes every year! The Canucks had so many good opertunities to get a good d-man and what do you know mike gillis does nothing. We can say good-bye to a good run for the stanly cup f....
It's posts like this I was talking about.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Stonz

I'll say it again, none of the other teams we're fighting with really improved themselves to a degree significant enough to make our lack of larger moves concern me.

We're in the roughly the same position relative to our competition as before. We're not at the top of the heap, but we're in contention.

Old
Meganuck*

So not many calls for Cory Schneider. I guess his trade value wasnt high?

Old
Agent007

We're not going to have a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick this year unless we trade down in the first round.

Hopefully our scouts can find us a gem or two in the later rounds.

Old
VanEric

Quote:
For f sakes every year! The Canucks had so many good opertunities to get a good d-man and what do you know mike gillis does nothing. We can say good-bye to a good run for the stanley cup f....
What opportunities?

Old
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Even if we picked up a Dan Hamhuis and a Raffi Torres...Does that really change anything? .
Not that I completely disagree with your post, but you don't think adding a physical, gritty, tenacious forechecker who can pot 20+ goals or a solid top 4 dman wouldn't have helped down the stretch and into the playoffs?

Old
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
THE SKY IS FALLLLLING.

Care to say what d-man we could have got, and what we could have given up?

No D man got traded that I wanted.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoulsen View Post
Yes until teams have finished their "Playing Season" - which includes play-offs.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Not that I completely disagree with your post, but you don't think adding a physical, gritty, tenacious forechecker who can pot 20+ goals or a solid top 4 dman wouldn't have helped down the stretch and into the playoffs?
Sure...But does it make us a favourite for a cup worthy of mortgaging the assets it would've cost to acquire 2 impending UFAs we probably wouldn't be able to afford?

We'd still be considered underdogs against Chicago and San Jose.

Old
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
We're not going to have a 2nd or a 3rd round draft pick this year unless we trade down in the first round.

Hopefully our scouts can find us a gem or two in the later rounds.
We could potentially dump Bieksa for a 2nd & someone at the draft? Or Schneider gets moved for someone & a pick.

Old
Moobles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23
I completely agree with this.

People here are ****ed.

We have a large window of opportunity to win a cup. You have to think the best year for that is still 2 or so years away. We're a contender right now, for sure, but this will be a competitive team for a long time, and it's only going to get better when we can add guys like Hodgson and Schroeder into the lineup. We have a team that can be competitive with any team in the league in a 7 game series. Would we be favoured over Chicago or San Jose? No. Is it completely unbelievable to say we could beat them in a 7 game series? No.

This team this year has the tools to make some noise in the playoffs. If things go right, they have the tools to make the conference finals...Maybe even the Cup finals and then from there who knows. Would I put money on it? Probably not, but was this really our year in our window anyway?

Christ, people overreact. We're still a very good team with a decent enough chance at a cup. We'll have our time as "THE" team to beat in a year or two, but there was no move to be made today that was going to make us that anyway. Even if we picked up a Dan Hamhuis and a Raffi Torres...Does that really change anything? Are we then favoured over Chicago or San Jose? No, probably not. We're a good team with a fighting chance, and some people are writing us off like we've got no hope and should just forfeit.
but, but! Gillis didn't get us a d-man! Season's over!!

Old
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Wetcoaster

More from Gillis:
1:15

Derek (Canucks.com):
"I don't think there was a player traded today that would fit into Willie's skates."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:15 Derek (Canucks.com)
1:16

Derek (Canucks.com):
"Bieksa will be back in 10 to 14 days in our estimation."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:16 Derek (Canucks.com)
1:17

Derek (Canucks.com):
"We feel pretty good about our team."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:17 Derek (Canucks.com)

Derek (Canucks.com):
"We can't make changes for the sake of making changes."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:17 Derek (Canucks.com)

Derek (Canucks.com):
Anyone traded today you had interest in? "I haven't had an opportunity yet to review what's gone on."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:18 Derek (Canucks.com)
1:18

Derek (Canucks.com):
"You get a call or make a call and you feel our the other team or they'll feel you out. You try to see if there's a fit or if there's something that might interest you."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:18 Derek (Canucks.com)
1:19

Derek (Canucks.com):
Message to Canucks nation: "We're prepared to improve in any way we can any time, but if there isn't an improvement there, we can't manufacture it..."
Wednesday March 3, 2010 1:19 Derek (Canucks.com)
1:20

Derek (Canucks.com):
"Cory Schneider is ready to come into this league, he's a fully developed goaltender that we have great confidence in. We have significant plans for Cory and we're going to get into those with his agent in the next couple of weeks."

Closed Thread