HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2009, 07:30 PM
  #1
dangler71
Registered User
 
dangler71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Potsdam, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

There was a page on this kid in Sports Illustrated, and it talked about how he is "reminiscent of nicklas lidstrom." It seemed to me like they were hyping this kid up as if he is about to be the next stud defenseman in the nhl, even though he is only 14 years old. Has anyone seen this kid play or have any input on him?

dangler71 is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 07:50 PM
  #2
Brandinho
Registered User
 
Brandinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: República de Cuba
Country: Cuba
Posts: 10,271
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
He's the next Sam Calabrese.

Brandinho is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 07:57 PM
  #3
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
He's the next Steven Anthony.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 08:40 PM
  #4
SiouxPride
Registered User
 
SiouxPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WINNIPEG!
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Hes the next Nikals Lidstrom ..

SiouxPride is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 08:59 PM
  #5
Ishdul
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
The only reason he was talked up by SI is because he's Popeye Jones' kid. Not to say that he's bad or anything but he wouldn't be getting any SI articles about him if he were any other kid from Colorado.

And yeah, I kind of doubt the Lidstrom comparison.

Ishdul is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
  #6
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
OT: but Seth seems like a name of a kid that would have attitude problems.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 09:02 PM
  #7
SiouxPride
Registered User
 
SiouxPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WINNIPEG!
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
OT: but Seth seems like a name of a kid that would have attitude problems.
lolololol, you make me laugh Yogi, =)

SiouxPride is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 09:38 PM
  #8
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Has anybody actually seen him play? the kid was taken 11th in the WHL draft. there's obviously something that scouts see.

Heat McManus is offline  
Old
07-11-2009, 11:06 PM
  #9
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Has anybody actually seen him play? the kid was taken 11th in the WHL draft. there's obviously something that scouts see.
I don't think anyone who has posted here knows anything about him. He is in no way the next Lidstrom he is still really raw though posses extremely high potential still very young though. He won't be eligible until the 2013 draft due to his late birthday (October 3rd, 1994). He will likely be a behemoth by then and even more so if/when he steps into the NHL. As previously mentioned his dad was a journeyman NBA player who got himself and his kids interesed in hovkey when he played for the Toronto Raptors. His dad Popeye did pass down something important to Seth and that was size. Popeye stands 6'8 and Seth has grown from 5'9 140lbs one year to 5'11 150lbs the next to 6'1 155 the next and now stands about 6'3 and weighs 170, he is expected to get much bigger. He is trying to decide whether he will play for Everett who drafted him in the first round in the latest bantam draft or if he will go the NCAA route which might inlude the USHL (Waterloo holds his rights I believe) or the USNTDP although they are now playing in the same league. He said he wants to play in the NHL at 19 (earliest he can play due to being a late birthday draft eligible player. The sky is the limit for Seth though, height wise as well.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200.../1003/SPORTS08

wings5 is offline  
Old
07-12-2009, 08:12 AM
  #10
dangler71
Registered User
 
dangler71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Potsdam, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I don't think anyone who has posted here knows anything about him. He is in no way the next Lidstrom he is still really raw though posses extremely high potential still very young though. He won't be eligible until the 2013 draft due to his late birthday (October 3rd, 1994). He will likely be a behemoth by then and even more so if/when he steps into the NHL. As previously mentioned his dad was a journeyman NBA player who got himself and his kids interesed in hovkey when he played for the Toronto Raptors. His dad Popeye did pass down something important to Seth and that was size. Popeye stands 6'8 and Seth has grown from 5'9 140lbs one year to 5'11 150lbs the next to 6'1 155 the next and now stands about 6'3 and weighs 170, he is expected to get much bigger. He is trying to decide whether he will play for Everett who drafted him in the first round in the latest bantam draft or if he will go the NCAA route which might inlude the USHL (Waterloo holds his rights I believe) or the USNTDP although they are now playing in the same league. He said he wants to play in the NHL at 19 (earliest he can play due to being a late birthday draft eligible player. The sky is the limit for Seth though, height wise as well.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200.../1003/SPORTS08
Thanks for the input, I was just wondering what people knew about this kid, hes only 14 years old. When they came out with this edition last year I remember they did the hockey player on Taylor Hall, who obviously is pretty well known along these boards. I had never heard of this kid before, and was wondering who knew about him.

dangler71 is offline  
Old
07-12-2009, 12:37 PM
  #11
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,600
vCash: 4250
Yeah i remember reading something on him in my local paper right around last years bantam draft. The kid seems to have lots of potential considering he's already that size at such a young age...giving him more time to get used to his awkwardness. I seem to remember that the article said he wouldve been a higher pick in the bantam draft, but there were concerns about which route he would take to the NHL and may not even play in the WHL.

R S is offline  
Old
07-12-2009, 01:26 PM
  #12
SP
Registered User
 
SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,957
vCash: 500
Wait, I thought Anton Stralman and Victor Hedman were the next Lidstrom.

SP is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
  #13
texashockeytalent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
OT: but Seth seems like a name of a kid that would have attitude problems.
i have seen him play and he has a great attitude and work ethic, he was the captain of his team

texashockeytalent is offline  
Old
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
  #14
Sens98
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
Seth Jones isn't even the best 94 defenseman in the USA. Nick Ebert, Trouba, Iafrate (in any order) than Jones.

Sens98 is offline  
Old
03-02-2010, 05:51 AM
  #15
Rally Donkey
Registered User
 
Rally Donkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chatham, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I don't think anyone who has posted here knows anything about him. He is in no way the next Lidstrom he is still really raw though posses extremely high potential still very young though. He won't be eligible until the 2013 draft due to his late birthday (October 3rd, 1994). He will likely be a behemoth by then and even more so if/when he steps into the NHL. As previously mentioned his dad was a journeyman NBA player who got himself and his kids interesed in hovkey when he played for the Toronto Raptors. His dad Popeye did pass down something important to Seth and that was size. Popeye stands 6'8 and Seth has grown from 5'9 140lbs one year to 5'11 150lbs the next to 6'1 155 the next and now stands about 6'3 and weighs 170, he is expected to get much bigger. He is trying to decide whether he will play for Everett who drafted him in the first round in the latest bantam draft or if he will go the NCAA route which might inlude the USHL (Waterloo holds his rights I believe) or the USNTDP although they are now playing in the same league. He said he wants to play in the NHL at 19 (earliest he can play due to being a late birthday draft eligible player. The sky is the limit for Seth though, height wise as well.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200.../1003/SPORTS08
Well, hot damn, somebody on in this forum actually knows what he's talking about. This answer is bang on. I haven't seen him play in a few years. How's his mobility? His older brothers played the game, too. Are they still playing & how are they doing at it?

Rally Donkey is offline  
Old
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
  #16
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,154
vCash: 500
I am pretty sure he is going to be in Everett next season

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
  #17
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I am pretty sure he is going to be in Everett next season
This...

I would be shocked if this kid did not go the WHL route...imo, it is the best thing for him to do at this point.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
  #18
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens98 View Post
Seth Jones isn't even the best 94 defenseman in the USA. Nick Ebert, Trouba, Iafrate (in any order) than Jones.
all are great players, but I am not sure I would have Iafrate over Jones, but it is all a matter of opinion. these kids are way too young to say who is really better then who at this stage...I couldnt care less who is better now, I care about who will be better come draft day and beyond.

If Jones goes to the WHL and shines for Everett, he could easily jump this group as his size puts him above the group....although I think Iafrate will continue to grow as well..

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
  #19
ToursLepantoVienna
Registered User
 
ToursLepantoVienna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country:
Posts: 1,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
This...

I would be shocked if this kid did not go the WHL route...imo, it is the best thing for him to do at this point.
Why? It sounds like he's somewhat raw and will take a while to grow into his still-growing body.

I thought those traits epitomized someone who would benefit from the NCAA route: much higher practice/game ratio than major junior, better weight training facilities and strength coaching, etc.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
  #20
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
Why? It sounds like he's somewhat raw and will take a while to grow into his still-growing body.

I thought those traits epitomized someone who would benefit from the NCAA route: much higher practice/game ratio than major junior, better weight training facilities and strength coaching, etc.
well he might be a tad bit raw, but the kid definitely has the overall size and skill, that I can see him being a very good player at a young age imo. I think he would be better suited for the WHL because of his huge size already, and that he will be able to learn on the job, playing as a 16 year old, instead of fighting for ice time in college. Though he may go USHL route (including the USNDP), but being a high pick like that for the WHL, you have to believe that Everett as well believes he will come over much sooner then later.

I dont think that college is a bad place for him to go at all, it is just more of a gut feeling as to where I think he can benefit the most early on....

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
  #21
The Exiled One
Registered User
 
The Exiled One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
well he might be a tad bit raw, but the kid definitely has the overall size and skill, that I can see him being a very good player at a young age imo. I think he would be better suited for the WHL because of his huge size already, and that he will be able to learn on the job, playing as a 16 year old, instead of fighting for ice time in college. Though he may go USHL route (including the USNDP), but being a high pick like that for the WHL, you have to believe that Everett as well believes he will come over much sooner then later.

I dont think that college is a bad place for him to go at all, it is just more of a gut feeling as to where I think he can benefit the most early on....
I don't think Jones would get any more playing time at Everett than he would at Waterloo. He'd get the most playing time at the NTDP. And, with either Waterloo or the NTDP, he could still end up in Everett later on.

Still though, considering Murray State doesn't have a hockey program, I think he goes to Everett.

The Exiled One is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
  #22
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
Why? It sounds like he's somewhat raw and will take a while to grow into his still-growing body.

I thought those traits epitomized someone who would benefit from the NCAA route: much higher practice/game ratio than major junior, better weight training facilities and strength coaching, etc.
Well people have said Joe Colborne should have went the WHL route to speed up his development. Yes the NTDP and college route does have superior off ice regimens but Jones is not a 4 year college guy. Don't forget of his late birthdate, imo the best thing for him would be the NTDP and then the WHL ala Kane and Mueller. The NTDP will provide him with good competition in the USHL, international experiance and great off-ice conditioning. Straight to the dub or USHL wouldn't be a bad thing either by learning from older players but not NCAA imo.

wings5 is offline  
Old
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
  #23
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I didn't know he was born yet so I can't doubt what they say about him.

I'll wait for the kid to prove other wise.

Rookie Chargers is offline  
Old
07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
  #24
texashockeytalent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I don't think anyone who has posted here knows anything about him. He is in no way the next Lidstrom he is still really raw though posses extremely high potential still very young though. He won't be eligible until the 2013 draft due to his late birthday (October 3rd, 1994). He will likely be a behemoth by then and even more so if/when he steps into the NHL. As previously mentioned his dad was a journeyman NBA player who got himself and his kids interesed in hovkey when he played for the Toronto Raptors. His dad Popeye did pass down something important to Seth and that was size. Popeye stands 6'8 and Seth has grown from 5'9 140lbs one year to 5'11 150lbs the next to 6'1 155 the next and now stands about 6'3 and weighs 170, he is expected to get much bigger. He is trying to decide whether he will play for Everett who drafted him in the first round in the latest bantam draft or if he will go the NCAA route which might inlude the USHL (Waterloo holds his rights I believe) or the USNTDP although they are now playing in the same league. He said he wants to play in the NHL at 19 (earliest he can play due to being a late birthday draft eligible player. The sky is the limit for Seth though, height wise as well.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200.../1003/SPORTS08
His birthday is January 1st and he is a great player, i have spoke with him many times and seen him play many times.

texashockeytalent is offline  
Old
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
  #25
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
My buddy played on the Texas Tornado and he would play against Seth's team and he and his brother were "sick" according to him.

FWIW.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.