HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

all Deadline Day NYR rumors - Part II

Old
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
I like both guys but...

Maloney has not shown the ability to draft well, and Burke traded a top 3 pick this year and what could very well be a top 5-10 pick next year ++ for Kessel.
At least Burkie has shown he has the ability to turn a team around, look at how he already has turned over the Maple Leafs roster by trading away garbage and getting valuable pieces back.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Ridiculous statement. Maybe he is finally looking at the big picture and realizing that toiling in mediocrity year after year is not going to get it done.

I'm no Sather fan but no player was moved today that would make this team a contender anyway.
And if that is the case then you sell.

That's what everyone is pissed about. If you think the team is still in it then you make moves to ensure that, but if you don't then you sell off assets.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What's not to get?

If there was no one available to make this team contend, then SELL the likes of Prospal and Jokinen.

Sitting on your fat ass smoking cigars is not the way to go.

I hate Sather.

HATE.

How can someone so incompetent keep their job this long.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
At least Burkie has shown he has the ability to turn a team around, look at how he already has turned over the Maple Leafs roster by trading away garbage and getting valuable pieces back.
Agreed, and he did build a cup winner in Ana. Just don't like the Kessel deal, a top 3 pick and probable top 5-10 next year ++ is tough to swallow, as much as I like Kessel.

Last edited by N9Y4R: 03-03-2010 at 04:27 PM.
N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Yelle back to Colorado. 27 trades and counting so far today.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:15 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What's not to get?

If there was no one available to make this team contend, then SELL the likes of Prospal and Jokinen.

Sitting on your fat ass smoking cigars is not the way to go.

I hate Sather.

HATE.

How can someone so incompetent keep their job this long.
All of you guys harping on SELL aren't seeing the big picture here which is Dolan sitting in the background probably crying about the millions of dollars he'll lose by not making the playoffs. NO WAY does Sather get a green light to "sell" one point out of a playoff spot.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Yelle back to Colorado. 27 trades and counting so far today.
YES!!!!!! this was the blockbuster we were looking for.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fletch

that's so true about the Flyers, Bluenote. Always had a great roster, but never had that guy in goal. Everyone crapped over Lindros for not winning the Cup, but last I checked it seemed as though every team that's won the Cup either had a great goalie or a goalie who played great and 95 times out of 100 outplayed the guy across the ice from him.

Regarding the Rangers once again...change always seems better, but it isn't always the right thing to do. The prospects of getting new players was exciting because the thought process is it cannot get any worse. Of course, then 6 months down the road it's the same. I'm fine with staying pat. Would've been fine to see a move or two depending on the move, but given what moved, and given Sather's inability to make a decent trade, perhaps it's best nothing was done.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:17 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
YES!!!!!! this was the blockbuster we were looking for.
It's the salary cap era. Too many teams are up against the cap and can't make any major deals. Just deals for expiring contracts and depth players.

Old
03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
That is exactly what he is doing. This year is a classic example of Ranger mediocrity.
You have to bottom out before you can rebuild properly. What would you have done? Made another push for 7th because "anything can happen?"

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
You have to bottom out before you can rebuild properly. What would you have done? Made another push for 7th because "anything can happen?"
No, he would have realized that the best this team could hope for is an "anything can happen" moment and thus should sell.

That's the definition of mediocrity. "We're not good enough to make any moves for a playoff push, but at the same time I'm not going to admit defeat and sell off assets to get younger." That's what's pissing off Ranger fans.

Old
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
UAGoalieGuy

So I guess that minor league deal never went through?

Old
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

At least Callahan is still a Ranger.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
So I guess that minor league deal never went through?
I can still go through, trades can happen hours after the deadline.

But really, whooo caaaares.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
No, he would have realized that the best this team could hope for is an "anything can happen" moment and thus should sell.

That's the definition of mediocrity. "We're not good enough to make any moves for a playoff push, but at the same time I'm not going to admit defeat and sell off assets to get younger." That's what's pissing off Ranger fans.
I'll agree with that statement.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
No I would have traded my UFA too be for futures. This team will never "rebuild" properly. And we don't need a total rebuild, as much as most of us would love to see one. What we do need to do is manage our assets properly and get out of this perpetual mediocrity. Sather has shown the complete inability to do this.

Unfortunately the allure of $$$$'s that sneaking into the 7th or 8th spot will bring in is the most impotant factor!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Rangers get Eriksson from PHX for Wikman and a 7th.

http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Rangers get Eriksson from PHX for Wikman and a 7th.

http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord
Yay...

Old
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Cmox

Anders Ericksson hahaha.

they gave up too much

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Levitate

defense for the Pack?

Is Eriksson still in that waiver exempt period so they could send him down, I seem to remember he was just on waivers (making it strange that the Rangers traded for him but hell Wiikman and a 7th round pick are basically nothing)

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
If you actually thought that selling was going to be an option for the Rangers, then you might want to check your meds. Believe me, I was hoping they would, but I knew they wouldn't. I was more hoping that they wouldn't do anything stupid in their efforts to make the playoffs. We can at least be thankful that they didn't.

And for all those that are crying because he didn't improve the team, who says there was a deal available that would improve the team? Do you think Sather wasn't trying to make deals?

We are at 50 contracts, which means for every player we trade for, we have to send one out. We didn't even have the option to make an Antropov like deal. Also, pretty much any trade would require us to send Redden or Rozy the other way, which few teams, if any, would be interested in.

I'm not defending Sather here. He's painted us into a corner with the way he built this team. But those thinking he should have done something to improve our chances at the playoffs need to get a clue. He tried to make a deal but the right deal wasn't there to be made.

He made what deals he could already getting Jokinen, Prust and Shelly and getting rid of Higgins and Kotalik. He still has a ******** of work to do between now and next season, but unfortunately, he wasn't able to do any of it today.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He made what deals he could already getting Jokinen, Prust and Shelly and getting rid of Higgins and Kotalik. He still has a ******** of work to do between now and next season, but unfortunately, he wasn't able to do any of it today.
Honestly that deal is fine for a "deadline deal" (basically what it was)

He ditched a bad contract and got a guy who is useful for the rest of the season and they don't have to re-sign (Jokinen, who already won a game for the Rangers), and he got Prust which vaguely helps something.

It was decent.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
cancer

good trade: eriksson is 35 old toughness and expert!

cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If you actually thought that selling was going to be an option for the Rangers, then you might want to check your meds. Believe me, I was hoping they would, but I knew they wouldn't. I was more hoping that they wouldn't do anything stupid in their efforts to make the playoffs. We can at least be thankful that they didn't.

And for all those that are crying because he didn't improve the team, who says there was a deal available that would improve the team? Do you think Sather wasn't trying to make deals?

We are at 50 contracts, which means for every player we trade for, we have to send one out. We didn't even have the option to make an Antropov like deal. Also, pretty much any trade would require us to send Redden or Rozy the other way, which few teams, if any, would be interested in.

I'm not defending Sather here. He's painted us into a corner with the way he built this team. But those thinking he should have done something to improve our chances at the playoffs need to get a clue. He tried to make a deal but the right deal wasn't there to be made.

Believe me, I'm far from shocked that he didn't sell. In fact, if he did sell I would have been absolutely stunned.

But that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been the right thing to do.