HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2009/10 - Lines Discussion - (ES/PP/PK) - Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
  #501
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I'm glad Parent is back so we can eventually get Carle the **** off the PK
This.

Coburn was in the box last night and Krajicek + Carle was our 2nd PK unit. I wanted to stab myself in the eye, though Krajicek saved the day. He made like 4 plays to save Leighton.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
  #502
bakunin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
I am in complete shock you guys didn't pick up a goalie.....
So am I. No offense to our two backup-goalies, but we won't go anywhere with them in the playoffs. /season

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
  #503
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
I am in complete shock you guys didn't pick up a goalie.....


You will grow to love this guy if you don't already.

On the topic of lines, can we please stop playing Giroux at C? That line has 4-5 shifts per game where they get pinned and give up 5 chances to the opposing team.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:22 PM
  #504
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post


You will grow to love this guy if you don't already.

On the topic of lines, can we please stop playing Giroux at C? That line has 4-5 shifts per game where they get pinned and give up 5 chances to the opposing team.
What else can we do? Put Powe back at centre? Briere?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:25 PM
  #505
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
What else can we do? Put Powe back at centre? Briere?
I'd put Powe there honestly.

Admittedly it's like a choice between eating **** or eating vomit, but Giroux is just awful defensively at C and he's going to get exposed when we play good teams. Giroux was already on a 45-50 point pace as a winger playing with 2 guys who were really struggling and he's good defensively at wing, now that maybe Richie and Gags are showing signs of life, a Gagne-Richie-Giroux line could be really something and Richie is unselfish enough to make sure Giroux does a lot of the puckhandling and passing.

I mean, it's not like posters on this board were agitating for us to sign Malhotra or Goc during the summer right?


Last edited by FlyHigh: 03-03-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarifying the ingestion of vomit
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
  #506
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,892
vCash: 500
Caps added depth, they didnt upgrade in goal like eveyone thought they might. The reason why? They are top in the East. We are going for our 6th straight and if the season started 25-30 games ago we would be the best team in the league. We made our big move already in Pronger.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
  #507
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'd put Powe there honestly.

Admitted it's like a choice between eating **** and vomit, but Giroux is just awful defensively at C and he's going to get exposed when we play good teams. Giroux was already on a 45-50 point pace as a winger playing with 2 guys who were really struggling and he's good defensively at wing, now that maybe Richie and Gags are showing signs of life, a Gagne-Richie-Giroux line could be really something and Richie is unselfish enough to make sure Giroux does a lot of the puckhandling and passing.

I mean, it's not like posters on this board were agitating for us to sign Malhotra or Goc during the summer right?
Are you really comparing eating **** and vomiting?

Really?

But seriously, Darroll Powe all the way.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
  #508
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Are you really comparing eating **** and vomiting?

Really?

But seriously, Darroll Powe all the way.
Sorry, I mean eating **** OR eating vomit.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
  #509
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
JvR Powe Asham doesn't look very good as a line to me

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:47 PM
  #510
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
JvR Powe Asham doesn't look very good as a line to me
It worked okay before.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
  #511
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'd put Powe there honestly.

Admittedly it's like a choice between eating **** or eating vomit, but Giroux is just awful defensively at C and he's going to get exposed when we play good teams. Giroux was already on a 45-50 point pace as a winger playing with 2 guys who were really struggling and he's good defensively at wing, now that maybe Richie and Gags are showing signs of life, a Gagne-Richie-Giroux line could be really something and Richie is unselfish enough to make sure Giroux does a lot of the puckhandling and passing.

I mean, it's not like posters on this board were agitating for us to sign Malhotra or Goc during the summer right?
Someone posted this before, but he has scored more points at center then at wing.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
  #512
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Someone posted this before, but he has scored more points at center then at wing.
Well, without a doubt he is better offensively at C than he is at wing right now, I don't think anyone's doubting that. The problem is that he's pretty bad defensively there and also, it's hard to get him a lot of time (he's at 16 mins per game right now) while he's on the 3rd line.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:08 PM
  #513
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, without a doubt he is better offensively at C than he is at wing right now, I don't think anyone's doubting that. The problem is that he's pretty bad defensively there and also, it's hard to get him a lot of time (he's at 16 mins per game right now) while he's on the 3rd line.
Lavi won't brake that line up while they're putting the puck in the net like they are

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
  #514
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Lavi won't brake that line up while they're putting the puck in the net like they are
He already has at least a couple times when we've played Pittsburgh and that line has been exceedingly fortunate, take that time yesterday when Giroux gave the puck away in the slot, 8 times out of 10 that's a goal.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
  #515
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
He already has at least a couple times when we've played Pittsburgh and that line has been exceedingly fortunate, take that time yesterday when Giroux gave the puck away in the slot, 8 times out of 10 that's a goal.
he'll still make the same pass if he's on wing or center

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
  #516
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
he'll still make the same pass if he's on wing or center
The point is that at wing, he's not in the position to give the puck away in those areas nearly as often.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:34 PM
  #517
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The point is that at wing, he's not in the position to give the puck away in those areas nearly as often.
True, but at wing, he's not in position to make many of his set up plays for goals

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
  #518
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
True, but at wing, he's not in position to make many of his set up plays for goals
In the playoffs, that's worth the tradeoff to me.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
  #519
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
I'm fine with Giroux at center. I think he needs more experience and games at a stable position before we nitpick his game. He is a smart player. I think he'll pick up the defensive side of the center position fine as he goes along.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
  #520
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
To the people *****ing about not making moves: do you ***** just to *****? If Homer had made a move for a goalie you would have *****ed that we gave up too much. If there wasn't a good deal possible, then you don't do it.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
  #521
Mr Oysterhead
Registered User
 
Mr Oysterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 1,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
To the people *****ing about not making moves: do you ***** just to *****? If Homer had made a move for a goalie you would have *****ed that we gave up too much. If there wasn't a good deal possible, then you don't do it.
Agree.

However, it is a little disconcerting that back to back years we've more or less stayed idle on the deadline and the Pens palpably improved their team.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
  #522
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Agree.

However, it is a little disconcerting that back to back years we've more or less stayed idle on the deadline and the Pens palpably improved their team.
The Pens also have such a ridiculous amount of talent that they can move pieces. We cannot. It's as simple as that.

Understandable to be a bit disappointed, but to say that Homer was wrong in what he did at the deadline is simply retarded.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
  #523
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PHI in PGH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,154
vCash: 500
Why not Powe centering JVR and Giroux? Then you have a 4th line of Asham/Betts/Lappy, not the fastest group ever but still a pretty strong, physical 4th with some marginal offensive upside.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
  #524
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
Why not Powe centering JVR and Giroux? Then you have a 4th line of Asham/Betts/Lappy, not the fastest group ever but still a pretty strong, physical 4th with some marginal offensive upside.
Why change the current lineup? All lines are working right now.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:17 PM
  #525
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
With all the moves made today, who knows what the lines will look like!?!? Totally going to be a game-time decision.

And I say that with gloriously large amounts of sarcasm.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.