HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Playoff Lines

Old
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
wishman

vCash: 50
Sharks Playoff Lines

Some of this discussed in Trade Deadline thread, but thought this would be a good separate topic.

Fear the Fins's suggestions for Playoff lines.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2010/3/3/1...s-sharks-stand

Quote:
Dany Heatley - Joe Thornton - Devin Setoguchi
Patrick Marleau - Joe Pavelski - Manny Malhotra
Jamie McGinn - Logan Couture - Ryane Clowe
Jed Ortmeyer - Scott Nichol - Torrey Mitchell/Brad Staubitz
Mine are similar but would be...

Dany Heatley - Joe Thornton - Devin Setoguchi
Patrick Marleau - Joe Pavelski - Benn Ferriero
Jed Ortmeyer - Scott Nichol - Ryane Clowe
Jamie McGinn - Logan Couture - Manny Malhotra

This gives us four legitimate lines that can score and get minutes. The last two lines are really 3a and 3b. Ortymeyer/Nichol/Clowe had good chemistry earlier in the season. I like adding Malhotra to McGinn and Couture as he would add a defensive presence to that line but could also compliment with some scoring.

I would then put Clowe on 2nd PP Unit.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings ...

vCash: 1004
First Line:

D-Line:

Between the Pipes:

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
PotaGuitar

vCash: 500
I know it won't happen to start, but I kind of wish that Todd would split up the top line since they will almost definitely be shut down in the playoffs.

PotaGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
SJGoalie32

Marleau-Pavelski-Heatley
Setoguchi-Thornton-Clowe
McGinn-Malhotra-Mitchell
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Staubitz/Ferriero

Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Wallin-Demers/Huskins

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

I think we'll spread the lines around to add scoring depth and increase defensive awareness/grittyness on all lines. Gotta roll three lines!

Mitchell-Thornton-Heatley
Setoguchi-Pavs-Clowe
Patty-Malhotra-McGinn
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Staubitz
McLaren

On D i can see Demers in for more puck moving offensive matchups.

Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Wallin-Huskins
Demers

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

vCash: 50
I'd like to see:

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Heatley-Pavelski-Malhotra
Clowe-Mitchell-McGinn
Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer

Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Wallin-Demers/Huskins

Nabokov
Greiss

I figure whoever Thornton is paired up with will get the big shutdown D, so I'd like to protect Heatley from that as I believe that he is our key in the postseason. I gave each line (well, the top three) some speed, a goalscorer and a good defensive player. I know it'll be hard to establish chemistry like this, but I think it's do-able.

RammsteinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RammsteinGT View Post
I'd like to see:

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Heatley-Pavelski-Malhotra
Clowe-Mitchell-McGinn
Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer

Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Wallin-Demers/Huskins

Nabokov
Greiss

I figure whoever Thornton is paired up with will get the big shutdown D, so I'd like to protect Heatley from that as I believe that he is our key in the postseason. I gave each line (well, the top three) some speed, a goalscorer and a good defensive player. I know it'll be hard to establish chemistry like this, but I think it's do-able.
i believe this would be wasting heatleys talent, i don't believe pavs has the skill set to open up time and space for heatley. and malhotra for sure doesn't have the ability to open up any time and space for heatley.

heatley needs to stay with marleau and or thornton.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i believe this would be wasting heatleys talent, i don't believe pavs has the skill set to open up time and space for heatley. and malhotra for sure doesn't have the ability to open up any time and space for heatley.

heatley needs to stay with marleau and or thornton.
And how many goals has he scored like that? Heatley gets most of his goals by standing in front of the net and getting the rebounds. Less than a third of his goals are from getting open and using his shot...

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
And how many goals has he scored like that? Heatley gets most of his goals by standing in front of the net and getting the rebounds. Less than a third of his goals are from getting open and using his shot...
watch most of his goals, yes they might be rebounds. but watch how heatley gets them, he is never really covered. the line mates get the attention of the defenders, while heatley, goes into stealth mode and just circles around the ice till he finds that perfect area for the rebound to find the puck on his stick.

perfect example, was his goal against the usa in the prelims. he just circled the entire offensive zone until he finally got to an area where there was no defensemen and the puck was shot on net and he got the rebound.

edit:

Old
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

Come playoff time, this team's bread and butter is going to be Thornton and Heatley. There's just no getting around that. It will fail miserably because Thornton fails in the playoffs the way he plays but we'll keep going to that well.

Heatley-Thornton-Setoguchi
Marleau-Pavelski-Clowe
McGinn-Malhotra-Mitchell
Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer

That is, imo, the best balance to have if and when everyone is clicking.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotaGuitar View Post
I know it won't happen to start, but I kind of wish that Todd would split up the top line since they will almost definitely be shut down in the playoffs.
I am not sure that this would be in fact the case. I think most posters discount what Heater brings.

Teams know that they can NOT play Joe soft and give him time. He is too good when he is able to slow things down. So any good shutdown line is going to pressure him. FINE!

This means that the gabs between Joe and the defence are going to be small, very small. This automatically opens up ice for Patty and Heater. In the past Patty has gotten oppertunities because of the space Joe gives him. This will continue.

The difference between last season and this is HEATER. This is a guy that can given a one on one situation can beat a guy and create a chance, or when someone creates his chance by feeding him the puck he scores.

While i have no issue trading out Patty for Seto or Manny. HEATER is the key to this team success. Teams either have to play honest and given Joe time and space, or they have to risk giving Danny oppertunities.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Come playoff time, this team's bread and butter is going to be Thornton and Heatley. There's just no getting around that. It will fail miserably because Thornton fails in the playoffs the way he plays but we'll keep going to that well.

Marleau-Pavelski-Clowe
McGinn-Malhotra-Mitchell
Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer

That is, imo, the best balance to have if and when everyone is clicking.
I really like this set up as well. It gets so frustrating that T.M. continues to play McGinn with the likes of Staubitz and Nichols, they just don't click. This set up is so much better. a very good test would even be to put him on on line 2 and put Clowe with Manny and Mitchell as, Clowe has had some good pairing with Manny this season and, now before he playoffs is the time to test this idea out.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
I really like this set up as well. It gets so frustrating that T.M. continues to play McGinn with the likes of Staubitz and Nichols, they just don't click. This set up is so much better. a very good test would even be to put him on on line 2 and put Clowe with Manny and Mitchell as, Clowe has had some good pairing with Manny this season and, now before he playoffs is the time to test this idea out.
The only time Malhotra played with Clowe was when Pavs and Seto were out. That was quite a long time ago. He's recently shown chemistry with Nichol and Ortmeyer. If they want to run with that and go with McGinn on the 2nd line instead so be it but I doubt that will happen.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
The only time Malhotra played with Clowe was when Pavs and Seto were out. That was quite a long time ago. He's recently shown chemistry with Nichol and Ortmeyer. If they want to run with that and go with McGinn on the 2nd line instead so be it but I doubt that will happen.
Not just that period as, when Pavs came back they ran with the trio for a couple weeks and they looked pretty good together. But per McGinn, I agree, I don't see T.M. trying it out, although it could be something interesting.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Not just that period as, when Pavs came back they ran with the trio for a couple weeks and they looked pretty good together. But per McGinn, I agree, I don't see T.M. trying it out, although it could be something interesting.
do you mean the period where the sharks finally started to get secondary scoring? after a period of time where the thornton, marleau, heatley line had scored something like the past 12 or so goals?

if that is the period of time, it was pavs, malhotra, seto

not pavs, malhotra clowe

Old
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
sharkbite3
it's whatever

Quote:
Marleau-Pavelski-Clowe
McGinn-Malhotra-Mitchell
Staubitz-Nichol-Ortmeyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Wallin-Huskins
Demers
This.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
do you mean the period where the sharks finally started to get secondary scoring? after a period of time where the thornton, marleau, heatley line had scored something like the past 12 or so goals?

if that is the period of time, it was pavs, malhotra, seto

not pavs, malhotra clowe
No, it was Clowe and, it was when Seto was shoved to the bottom lines for a short period to 'try' and find his game back. So, not Seto. I can't believe you can't recall as, it's been talked about a few times on the boards here aleady and, not via myself only but other Sharks fans.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
No, it was Clowe and, it was when Seto was shoved to the bottom lines for a short period to 'try' and find his game back. So, not Seto. I can't believe you can't recall as, it's been talked about a few times on the boards here aleady and, not via myself only but other Sharks fans.
it was just before malhotra was injured right?

Old
03-03-2010, 09:46 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
it was just before malhotra was injured right?
To be honest, I cannot remember if he had gotten injured and then that's when they split the line but, it could be. I know it was after Seto and Pavs came back and, Seto was struggling like mad.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
To be honest, I cannot remember if he had gotten injured and then that's when they split the line but, it could be. I know it was after Seto and Pavs came back and, Seto was struggling like mad.
Yeah, when Seto was out and struggling on his return. That was still quite a while ago. We're talking about December here when it was a consistent line and not just a mash up during the odd game that they need to switch things up.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
I don't remember when the change happened, but it was the normal top line, Malhotra-Pavs-Seto on the 2nd, and Clowe-Nichol-Ort on the 3rd. Then Manny got injured and Clowe moved back up (and I believe we started losing games). During that period of success and secondary scoring, Malhotra did not play with Clowe.

Also, the way Mitchell has played this year he should be nowhere near a line that is expected to put up any points.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I don't remember when the change happened, but it was the normal top line, Malhotra-Pavs-Seto on the 2nd, and Clowe-Nichol-Ort on the 3rd. Then Manny got injured and Clowe moved back up (and I believe we started losing games).
exactly, when the sharks got a good weeks full of consistent secondary scoring was when malhotra was with seto and pavs.

and clowe bumped down to the 3rd line.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I think we'll spread the lines around to add scoring depth and increase defensive awareness/grittyness on all lines. Gotta roll three lines!

Mitchell-Thornton-Heatley
Setoguchi-Pavs-Clowe
Patty-Malhotra-McGinn
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Staubitz
McLaren

On D i can see Demers in for more puck moving offensive matchups.

Boyle-Murray
Blake-Vlasic
Wallin-Huskins
Demers
I like this. I like spreading out the offense over three lines, rather than stack the top 2.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Crosscheck your life

I don't care....JUST WIN THE CUP....my lord.

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:58 AM
matt trick

Marleau-Pavelski-Clowe
McGinn-Malhorta-X
Ortmeyer-Nichol-Mitchell

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-Blake
Wallin-Huskins
Demers

Split the third line rw shifts between the rest of the forwards, and the top 6 forwards in particular. Play 7 d-men including Demers on the PP and if the team is behind. Give him only a few minutes per game even strength. He is our second best offensive d-man, and even if he struggles defensively, I think he can have a more positive (not to mention less negative effect) that Staubitz. I wouldn't mind Ferrerio either. Staubitz has improved, but I am not sure how necessary he is come playoff time. Demers has been a key to our power play.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote