HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Halpern Traded To Los Angeles Kings For Purcell + 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2010, 07:48 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
This quote is best enjoyed with a Stout.
... Yeah, I'm sure you said that the first million times we got lit up by an ex-teammate, too. After a while, it's to be expected, isn't it?

Old
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Hahaha. Well done, Dean. A guy in essence just starting out for another worthless journeyman who is at his end. Fantastic. I'm so looking forward to the games in future years where Purcell lights us up. And for what??? Jeff Halpern as the final piece to a championship puzzle? That's cute.

Depth wins championships ... and depth isn't stockpiling worthless losers. I thought Lombardi got this out of his system with Willsie and Thornton and McCauley and Cloutier. Apparently not.
I hate to break it to you but Modin's won more than Purcell probably ever will. Halpern will probably eclipse Teddy's stats from this season in the next 20 games. Teddy had plenty of chances to put it together. The guy is 25 y/o, how much more time did u want to give him? We got a great stockpile of prospects but u can't keep them all. Good riddance. You just love to complain because this is just ridiculous.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
kingsfan77

a lot of analyst seem to really like this trade for the Kings. Giving up Purcell was not hard sense he just didn't fit in with this Kings team and the 3rd is nothing. This move helps give us more depth for our bottom 6 and that is something sorely needed. Don't really know how anyone could be upset by losing someone who was given tons of chances and never was able to deliver. Sometimes you have to cut them loose and move on.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
... Yeah, I'm sure you said that the first million times we got lit up by an ex-teammate, too. After a while, it's to be expected, isn't it?
... so you're saying that we should never trade players away in case they come back and score on us later?

Old
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
I hate to break it to you but Modin's won more than Purcell probably ever will. Halpern will probably eclipse Teddy's stats from this season in the next 20 games. Teddy had plenty of chances to put it together. The guy is 25 y/o, how much more time did u want to give him? We got a great stockpile of prospects but u can't keep them all. Good riddance. You just love to complain because this is just ridiculous.
Halpern's stats already eclipse Purcell's stats for the season.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:57 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Teddy had plenty of chances to put it together.
... If you call the way Purcell was handled this season as a guy who got "plenty" of chances somehow, you're either biased or you have not the first clue of what you're talking about. Or both? Either way, what's done is done. Care to place a wager on what Halpern does in the next 20 games? Or were you just trolling again?

Old
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
... so you're saying that we should never trade players away in case they come back and score on us later?
... Only if you're saying 24 year old players are the same as 33 year old ones?

Old
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Oh and DL was the guy that signed teddy so without lombardi, there would be no teddy to trade (that just soundswrong). He wasn't exactly "just starting out" either.

Old
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
... Hahaha. Well done, Dean. A guy in essence just starting out for another worthless journeyman who is at his end. Fantastic. I'm so looking forward to the games in future years where Purcell lights us up. And for what??? Jeff Halpern as the final piece to a championship puzzle? That's cute.

Depth wins championships ... and depth isn't stockpiling worthless losers. I thought Lombardi got this out of his system with Willsie and Thornton and McCauley and Cloutier. Apparently not.
Did you forget the sarcasm smilie? Purcell wasn't ever going to make it as a top 6 forward on this team. Completely worthless as a bottom 6 forward. Couldn't send him to Manchester because he would have been picked up on waivers. Dean got something for nothing. The 3rd seems a little high but no real loss since the Kings have 2 3rds left for 2010.

Purcell will be a good player on a non-playoff team.

Great trade for the Kings.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Care to place a wager on what Halpern does in the next 20 games? Or were you just trolling again?
... Even if he does nothing, he'll still be as valuable as Purcell was to this team.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Reminds me of Lappy.
Oh geez, how did I forget Lappy. He's my all time favorite king.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:21 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

JT, I'm kind of proud of you right now. Though misguided, for once you are wearing your emotions, and not your stats, on your sleeve.

Besides some notion of applaudibly fanciful dreams of the innocent that have you projecting undeserved greatness upon Purcell, there is no reason to expect that we lost something of great importance.

(Paraphrasing) "Because Olli Jokinen scored on us" is not a real reason.

this move is to help with the playoffs, which there is zero admissable evidence to suggest Purcell would be of bigger boon value than Halpern.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Everybody always remembers the guys that leave or are traded from the Kings and flourish. They always forget the guys the leave and end up being busts or produce even less. For every Moulson, there is a Boyle, Storr or Lehoux.
If you want to worry about an overaged, prospect that never did anything at the NHL level and is a pending RFA, that is up to you. I'd rather worry about our team's make-up for the playoffs. That is something that Purcell wasn't really going to be a part of, either way.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Quattro will like this. . .

hahahaha I'd prefer it if he'd actually thrown a punch

Old
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
LAKings4ever

Quote:

This trade is about today and today we became a little better and more prepared for the postseason - do not see how you could feel otherwise, do you think the Kings would have a better chance in the postseason with TP?

How is Halpern a worthless loser? He is a leader, solid locker room guy, plays hard and provides this team with a veteran presence on the 4th line which we need.

The reason TP was not getting opportunities was because he didn't deserve any, the limited minutes given to him were wasted. He should get an opportunity in TB, wish him well. If he comes back and bangs in some goals against us, good on him, but it's nothing I am concerned about.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think Halpern is going to surprise many. I really really like this trade. I am not sure about the Modin one, we'll see, but I am pretty confident and comfortable with getting Halpern.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
03-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Halpern's stats already eclipse Purcell's stats for the season.
I meant that he'll outscore Purcell down the stretch. I was writing on my blackberrry so I didn't word that very well.

Quote:
... If you call the way Purcell was handled this season as a guy who got "plenty" of chances somehow, you're either biased or you have not the first clue of what you're talking about. Or both? Either way, what's done is done. Care to place a wager on what Halpern does in the next 20 games? Or were you just trolling again?
Well I do not have a clue what I'm talking about so you got that right. And I have nothing against Teddy. I wanted him to do well as a King. Unfortunately, you are about the only person that can't see that wasn't going to happen.

3 g 3 a in 41 games. See I can play your game too. He was getting PP time, time on the top lines and he couldn't perform. The guy is 24 years old, 6' 2" and plays like a girl. I'll ask you again, how much time did you plan on giving him? There was no room for him on the team.

And yeah, I think there is a good chance Halpern outscores Teddy in the final 20 games of the season. Teddy will probably get time on their top 6 so if he does get outscored by a 4th liner that will be pretty telling.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
... Only if you're saying 24 year old players are the same as 33 year old ones?
in this case i'd say that the 24-year-old was of no value to his team. he wasn't playing, had not produced at the level he needed to in his time here, and there really was no justification for keeping him. maybe he'll do well somewhere else, but if this were cards, i'd say lombardi made the right call in trading purcell. sure, sometimes you lose on the river, purcell may come back and score against us. but i think lombardi was completely justified in trading him. and in this case, the 33-year-old comes with a record as a respectable nhl player. not a spring chicken, certainly, but not a has-been either. it's not like the guy's 40 and rolls with a walker or something.

overall, i think this is an outstanding trade. for the past few months, i was silently poo-pooing proposals in which people offered purcell, because frankly i couldn't imagine how he would have ANY value at all. well, lombardi found a taker and got something out him. i'll just chalk this one down in the 'win' column.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

I dont know what's happened to you, but you went from a well respected poster to someone who now just posts things to try and piss people off.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Anybody who is talking about Purcell in this trade is missing the point. This trade was a 3rd for Halpern and nothing more. Purcell wasn't going to see the ice more than a game or two barring injury. He wasn't going to be resigned when we have 5 or 6 other RFAs to resign. So basically, it was Halpern for the 3rd. Purcell was a throw-in or the proverbial bag of pucks. No disrespect meant to Purcell, but his trade value, at this time, is absolutely zero.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:43 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

At 33 Halpern could have some valuable years left and those could well come with the Kings. Veteran leadership (Smyth, O'Donnell, Handzus, Scuderi, Williams) has done wonders for the Kings young guys. That helps the Kings now and in the future. Giving up Purcell's, and O'Sullivan's and Quincey's, potential is a risk worth taking.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:48 PM
fyrescorp

Quote:

Sorry I don't post here much, but......

Let me get this straight, you say a player with 3 goals in 41 games wasn't worth trading because he may have an upside if given the chance, yet,

you marginalize the accomplishments of a goalie that just set a team record for wins.

Old
03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
Anybody who is talking about Purcell in this trade is missing the point. This trade was a 3rd for Halpern and nothing more. Purcell wasn't going to see the ice more than a game or two barring injury. He wasn't going to be resigned when we have 5 or 6 other RFAs to resign. So basically, it was Halpern for the 3rd. Purcell was a throw-in or the proverbial bag of pucks. No disrespect meant to Purcell, but his trade value, at this time, is absolutely zero.
maybe i should have started an appreciation thread for the pick, huh?

Old
03-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Purcell is young, talented, and big. But he just could not cut it with the Kings. I stated on these boards that this season might be his last chance to show the organization hes ready to make the jump to being a full time NHL Player and he didn't do it. If, he goes on and becomes a 20+ goal scorer then good for him.

Halpern is a veteran, former multi 40+ point scorer if I remember correctly, leader, PKer, solid face off man. He is the type of player every team needs to win. Love the move by DL!

Old
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
no name

I'm sure Purcell will do much better now but he didn't have a role on this team. The third rounder hurts quite a bit when you compare what comparable players were traded for but we can't stockpile picks and prospects forever.

Closed Thread