HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Top 20 prospects, Spring 2010

Old
03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Flyers Top 20 prospects, Spring 2010

The Flyers Top 20 has undergone a revamp due to some trades and a free-agent signing.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:03 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
JVR should be an 8.5C to start with.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
The Flyers Top 20 has undergone a revamp due to some trades and a free-agent signing.

More...
It makes me feel like we have decent prospects. It will be sad when reality hits.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Ericsson #2?

He's blown up that much?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think there's way too much hype around Ericsson, people talk about the Belfour SO record, Belfour set that record when he was 43 and hadn't been a competent NHL goalie for years, he dominated that league.

So I'm not going to get too excited just yet.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Cleary84

I like having Ericsson at #2 just for the extra hope.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I'd put Eriksson around #5, at least behind Maroon IMO.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I think there's way too much hype around Ericsson, people talk about the Belfour SO record, Belfour set that record when he was 43 and hadn't been a competent NHL goalie for years, he dominated that league.

So I'm not going to get too excited just yet.
Don't get excited yet. No one said you had to. I'm not particularly sure how I feel about Eriksson yet, and I never made the claim that he is a future sure thing.

I made the decision to put him there the same way I made the decision to slash Leino's 7.5B rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I'd put Eriksson around #5, at least behind Maroon IMO.
Maroon and Bourdon still have to work on skating, even though Maroon's getting much better. It was a fight among Maroon, Bourdon, Marshall, and Leino after vanRiemsdyk and Eriksson.

Another note: This was sent in last night before I got word of the Shane Harper signing, so it was too late to include Harper.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Norm MacDonald

Eriksson is basically our #1 according to this, since JVR already has a permanent roster spot.

I remember when we used to have a decent pool

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Eriksson is basically our #1 according to this, since JVR already has a permanent roster spot.

I remember when we used to have a decent pool
Yeah, they are the current Flyers team.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Don't get excited yet. No one said you had to. I'm not particularly sure how I feel about Eriksson yet, and I never made the claim that he is a future sure thing.

I made the decision to put him there the same way I made the decision to slash Leino's 7.5B rating.

Maroon and Bourdon still have to work on skating, even though Maroon's getting much better. It was a fight among Maroon, Bourdon, Marshall, and Leino after vanRiemsdyk and Eriksson.

Another note: This was sent in last night before I got word of the Shane Harper signing, so it was too late to include Harper.
Would Harper be in the top 20? Also, good to hear Eriksson is doing well although he is playing in the second Swedish division (I'm assuming that's their second tier league).

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm trying to follow Eriksson as close as I can. However its not so easy. But goalies are so damn hard to predict.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Meh... Lehtivuori is alittle too low for being probablly the phantoms top d-man

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Eriksson is progressing just fine. The Allsvenskan league in Sweden is the equivalent to the AHL in North America. There's no sense in rushing Eriksson and it's great that they're taking their time with him and letting him develop properly. He's going to make the jump to the Swedish Elite League this year and he's going to get a boat load of playing time. Probably the best thing for Eriksson is to play two years in the SEL and then come over to North America. He'll be 23 by then and he'll be plenty mature that we shouldn't need to worry about him getting homesick or anything like that. He's going to be a real good one.

I know that this guy didn't make the list, but if there's another goalie in the organization to keep an eye on, Brad Phillips might be someone of interest. He's had a rough go at Notre Dame and I know he lost the starter's job to a freshman this year, but his numbers when he's played have been excellent. Maybe he turns pro after the college year and plays with the Phantoms and gets his game back on track. He could be another diamond in the rough so to speak.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I know that this guy didn't make the list, but if there's another goalie in the organization to keep an eye on, Brad Phillips might be someone of interest. He's had a rough go at Notre Dame and I know he lost the starter's job to a freshman this year, but his numbers when he's played have been excellent. Maybe he turns pro after the college year and plays with the Phantoms and gets his game back on track. He could be another diamond in the rough so to speak.
ECHL would likely be his next stop

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
ECHL would likely be his next stop
And that's perfectly fine. Phillips just needs some playing time. Thomas Vokoun also played in the ECHL as did Arturs Irbe. And I thought I heard that Jon Bernier also spent some time in the ECHL. You might know GKJ because aren't you an L.A. fan as well?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Meh... Lehtivuori is alittle too low for being probablly the phantoms top d-man
Rankings aren't based on current performance but potential/probability rating. Lehtivuori is doing well right now, but as I said, he has played games against grown men before coming here, something Bourdon and Marshall have not done. He's really mature for his age and very smart. His experience in the Finnish league shows.

Quote:
Eriksson is progressing just fine. The Allsvenskan league in Sweden is the equivalent to the AHL in North America. There's no sense in rushing Eriksson and it's great that they're taking their time with him and letting him develop properly. He's going to make the jump to the Swedish Elite League this year and he's going to get a boat load of playing time. Probably the best thing for Eriksson is to play two years in the SEL and then come over to North America. He'll be 23 by then and he'll be plenty mature that we shouldn't need to worry about him getting homesick or anything like that. He's going to be a real good one.

I had a nice little chat about Brad Phillips with some of the other writers when doing this article actually. One of the writers here knows a lot about Notre Dame ice hockey. We discussed his abilities, but in the end, we settled without him making the list. He might've been added to the bottom, but with Leino and Pither added, both Bodrov and Hostetter, who I decided on instead of Phillips, were bumped. He's returned back to form in a sense since his injury. He's playing well, but he wasn't playing well enough to win games. A freshman came in and took his spot by being just a shade better. They both had pretty good numbers last time I checked. It's a shame because Phillips does have some talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Would Harper be in the top 20?
He'd be a 6.5D or 7.0D. He's got some decent talent and is a good skater. He's a little careless sometimes, but he's got some nice moves. He's a little more average than some might expect, but he's got some offensive upside. He has less talent than Pither, but there's a little bit about him that I like over Pither. He seems to be a little safer than Pither; more of a chance of making it to the NHL level because he doesn't rely on one thing only.

At worst he'd be just off this list. He'd probably just jump Popov if I had to re-do it. This is all preliminary though. Both he and Pither are going to get a nice look at the AHL level next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Also, good to hear Eriksson is doing well although he is playing in the second Swedish division (I'm assuming that's their second tier league).
Yes, it's the second tier league, but it's not like the NHL/AHL. It's still a professional league with professional players, but organizations can play themselves out of the SEL and can also play themselves up from the AllSv into the SEL. So you see some very skilled players in the AllSv like Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who is actually on Eriksson's team in Leksand. OEL belongs to Leksand, but Eriksson is on loan to Leksand from Brynas since Leksand is in the AllSv. The AllSv has similar talent level to the AHL, but is FAR closer to the SEL in terms of talent than the AHL is to the NHL. The only reason Eriksson is on loan to Leksand is because Markstrom already had the top spot for Brynas.

Last edited by CS: 03-03-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Wow, our prospects seriously suck. Way worse than I even thought.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Wow, our prospects seriously suck. Way worse than I even thought.
What are you basing this off of?

The rest of our division isn't much better. Pittsburgh's top prospect, Tangradi, is basically Maroon with a little better skating ability but weaker hands. Granted skating is important, but he's not all that great. If you consider Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, and Parent as prospects (since they've all just graduated or will graduate this season), we have a far superior prospect pool to anyone in our division.

1. vanRiemsdyk - 8.0B to 8.5B
2. Giroux - 8.0B to 8.5B
3. Parent - 7.0B
4. Eriksson - 7.0C to 7.5C
5. Leino - 7.0C to 7.5C
6. Marshall - 7.0C
7. Bourdon - 7.0C
8. Maroon - 7.0C
9. Bartulis - 6.5B
10. Nodl - 6.5C
11. Legein - 7.0D
12. Lehtivuori - 6.5C
13. Wellwood - 7.0D
14. Laliberte - 6.5C
15. Matsumoto - 6.5C
16. Bertilsson - 6.5C
17. Pither - 7.0D
18. Morrison - 6.5C
19. Labrecque - 7.0D
20. Harper - 7.0D
21. Popov - 7.0D
22. Riopel - 6.5D
23. Kalinski - 5.5B
24. Bodrov - 6.5D
25. Hostetter - 6.5D

Last edited by CS: 03-03-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old
03-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

The rest of our division isn't much better. Pittsburgh's top prospect, Tangradi, is basically Maroon with a little better skating ability but weaker hands. Granted skating is important, but he's not all that great. If you consider Giroux, vanRiemsdyk, and Parent as prospects (since they've all just graduated or will graduate this season), we have a far superior prospect pool to anyone in our division.
I dont consider them prospects, they are all on our team. Giroux has played over 100 games now. Parents has been on the team for 3 seasons now and JVR is already a big part of the team. When I think of prospects I think of players that will help the team in the future which means to me JVR is not a prospect anymore.

Basically Eriksson is our top prospect and hes a goalie playing in a European B league. Goalies are hard to predect, they can tear up one league and suck in another or suck for years and all the sudden start in the NHL when they are 30.
Leino was all but given up on by the team with the best track record for late round/undrafted players and he's our #2 basically at the age of 26.
Marshall I like, no problem there, I think hes going to be 2nd pairing dman that nobody wants to play against which is something we have been lacking for a while.
Bourdon and Maroon have a high ceiling but who knows what will come of them. Either way, they are a solid asset to have because that potential is there.
Bartulis is nothing more than a 3rd pairing dman which can easily be optained each and every FA period, the same can be said for Nodl who has nothing more than 3rd line potential at this point IMO.

So basically to me, Marshall, Bourdon, and Maroon are the only players that have a legit shot at being 2nd line or better players. That is why I say our prospects suck.

Old
03-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:

1. vanRiemsdyk - 8.0B to 8.5B
2. Giroux - 8.0B to 8.5B
3. Parent - 7.0B
4. Eriksson - 7.0C to 7.5C
5. Leino - 7.0C to 7.5C
6. Marshall - 7.0C
7. Bourdon - 7.0C
8. Maroon - 7.0C
9. Bartulis - 6.5B
10. Nodl - 6.5C
11. Legein - 7.0D
12. Lehtivuori - 6.5C
13. Wellwood - 7.0D
14. Laliberte - 6.5C
15. Matsumoto - 6.5C
16. Bertilsson - 6.5C
17. Pither - 7.0D
18. Morrison - 6.5C
19. Labrecque - 7.0D
20. Harper - 7.0D
21. Popov - 7.0D
22. Riopel - 6.5D
23. Kalinski - 5.5B
24. Bodrov - 6.5D
25. Hostetter - 6.5D
You cant just add players to our prospect pool just because they are young. If thats the case the NYI have...Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, De Hann and Schremp. The same can be done for every team if you take all the young players and just call them prospects.

IMO your main goal should be filling the top 2 lines of your team through your prospect pool. Just because we have a bunch of bottom 6 procpects and 3rd pairing dmen in the pipeline doesnt mean we have it made. Those kind of players can be acquired for nothing in free agency. Top line players are what will cost you to acquire and what you can use as a bargaining chip when trying to trade for someone. My opinion is that our prospect pool sucks, you disagree, thats fine.

Old
03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I dont consider them prospects, they are all on our team. Giroux has played over 100 games now. Parents has been on the team for 3 seasons now and JVR is already a big part of the team. When I think of prospects I think of players that will help the team in the future which means to me JVR is not a prospect anymore.
I consider any player a prospect if he has not yet proceeded through the most crucial stage of his development yet.

HF standards however are HF standards. I cannot change their rules even though I don't think it's entirely correct. The truth is, judging what qualifies as a prospect or not is nowhere near a perfect art.

Quote:
Basically Eriksson is our top prospect and hes a goalie playing in a European B league. Goalies are hard to predect, they can tear up one league and suck in another or suck for years and all the sudden start in the NHL when they are 30.
Leino was all but given up on by the team with the best track record for late round/undrafted players and he's our #2 basically at the age of 26.
Marshall I like, no problem there, I think hes going to be 2nd pairing dman that nobody wants to play against which is something we have been lacking for a while.
Bourdon and Maroon have a high ceiling but who knows what will come of them. Either way, they are a solid asset to have because that potential is there.
Bartulis is nothing more than a 3rd pairing dman which can easily be optained each and every FA period, the same can be said for Nodl who has nothing more than 3rd line potential at this point IMO.

So basically to me, Marshall, Bourdon, and Maroon are the only players that have a legit shot at being 2nd line or better players. That is why I say our prospects suck.
Even taking out some of our higher prospects that are already making impacts, we have a pretty decent core of depth. Just because I view specific players in a different light than other writer's doesn't mean anything.

As I said before, Maroon (7.0C) and Bourdon (7.0C) are not much worse than Tangradi (8.0B) and Despres (8.0C) of the Penguins who are both similar players and the top two prospects for Pittsburgh. There are subtle differences of course. Bourdon gives up a bit of size to Despres but is a little more talented with the puck. Maroon gives up a bit of skating to Tangradi but is much more effective working in tight areas. A lot of these are judgement calls. We all know how highly HF rates Tangradi and Despres, but just because I'm a little more conservative with my ratings, doesn't mean our prospect pool sucks.

Quote:
You cant just add players to our prospect pool just because they are young. If thats the case the NYI have...Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, De Hann and Schremp. The same can be done for every team if you take all the young players and just call them prospects.
That's fine. Let them do that. It falls within my scope of reason, and I see no reason not to include those players. I fail to see your point.

Quote:
IMO your main goal should be filling the top 2 lines of your team through your prospect pool. Just because we have a bunch of bottom 6 procpects and 3rd pairing dmen in the pipeline doesnt mean we have it made. Those kind of players can be acquired for nothing in free agency. Top line players are what will cost you to acquire and what you can use as a bargaining chip when trying to trade for someone. My opinion is that our prospect pool sucks, you disagree, thats fine.
That happens every year. Players move up into the NHL. Frankly, we're still much better off than many teams that have had a first round pick every year.

It is more important than ever to keep a steady stream of talented ELCs in the pipeline, but those ELCs don't have to be superstars. Just because the Flyers have been very good at drafting forwards, you seem to take the idea of a prospect for granted. Very few teams have superstars waiting in the wings until after draft day. Then they're all loaded for the most part. Then players come up and graduate. That's how things work.

Last edited by CS: 03-03-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old
03-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
We all know how highly HF rates Tangradi and Despres, but just because I'm a little more conservative with my ratings, doesn't mean our prospect pool sucks.
I didnt say the prospect pool sucks based on your ratings. I think you were right on with most of the ratings. Some of the lower guys I am not as familiar with so I trust your judgement. I said it sucks just based off of what I know and looking at the guys we are going to be relying on in the coming years. Not to mention we wont have anything good coming in for a while.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I didnt say the prospect pool sucks based on your ratings. I think you were right on with most of the ratings. Some of the lower guys I am not as familiar with so I trust your judgement. I said it sucks just based off of what I know and looking at the guys we are going to be relying on in the coming years. Not to mention we wont have anything good coming in for a while.
Everyone's prospect pool sucks, trust me.

I was on the top 50 committee again this go-around. It's not exactly how I like it so don't blame me, but there's nothing about that I can do since it is based on committee.

Even so, I'd say 20, maybe 25, have a real shot at being NHL game breakers. The rest quickly drops into gray area, especially around 50 where it becomes flat-out judgement calls based on who writers have seen more. The collective NHL prospect pool is very top heavy. That's another reason why, by the time Giroux and JVR have graduated, they will have both spent considerable time in the top 10.

I'd say #35 is closer to #70 than it is to #10.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
And that's perfectly fine. Phillips just needs some playing time. Thomas Vokoun also played in the ECHL as did Arturs Irbe. And I thought I heard that Jon Bernier also spent some time in the ECHL. You might know GKJ because aren't you an L.A. fan as well?
Jonathan Bernier hasnt played in the ECHL.
This season is his 2nd full year with Manchester in the AHL.
He did play 3 games with the Monarchs in 07-08. 4 games with the Kings that season as well.
Brad Phillips to me is closer to another goalie I am familiar with Kevin Regan now playing in Providence of the AHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote