HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bad Teams

Old
02-28-2010, 12:30 AM
TBLightningFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Bad Teams

This is my first season on a Beginner League. Its been a great season....mostly, until an incident tonight.

Anyone ever run into a guy taking full swings? The guy was irritated he lost a fair battle and fell over along with one of our guys. He unleashed a few swings at him and another lady on our team (and thankfully missed). Our player defended himself and knocked him over. So both guys got tossed from the game. (Kinda BS but fine)

That team is getting nasty. They have 8 shutouts over the 9 games before this one, this is the first time all year a team had a lead over them and they were not happy about it, especially that guy. It sucks that there are guys that can't seem to just go out there and have good time, and all of them are on the same team!

At least the other teams are out there just to have a good time and learning to play the game.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:28 AM
cmdrdredd

I think there's always a group like this. Never good enough to be big time, and think they have to dominate every game or it's no good. Or they just think they're better than they are because of the point disparity they usually have. Either way it's big egos with people who are too competitive and don't know how to enjoy the game.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 08:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Beer league superstar teams who play down a few levels are the worst. They think they're all that when they're running up the score and still celebrating like it's a one goal game. I don't mind getting blown out, but sometimes teams are just ridiculous with it. Then even after the other team has given up they still celebrate like they scored an amazing goal.

Those are the teams I usually start getting a little chippy with. Start following one of their players around the offensive zone just constantly wacking at his hands and body. Ahh, fun times.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Webernaut

What rink, league and team? Just curious I play in Tampa.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:00 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Beer league superstar teams who play down a few levels are the worst. They think they're all that when they're running up the score and still celebrating like it's a one goal game. I don't mind getting blown out, but sometimes teams are just ridiculous with it. Then even after the other team has given up they still celebrate like they scored an amazing goal.
+1

I can deal with the scoring, but I hate the excessive celebration. I play in a beginner league with my wife where I know I'm above the level of the rest of the league. I do my best to get other people on my team involved. Sometimes though, I've gotta score. But when I do score, all I do is give a little fist pump and skate back to my bench. If one of my teammates makes a great play, I celebrate that.....but I refuse to act like scoring a goal on a slow wrister from the blue line that the goalie misses because he's only been played 15 games ever is some great feat.

More than the celebration though, I hate the physical play. It's one thing to take excessive pride in beating a clearly lesser opponent, but to go so far as trying to hurt them? That always ticks me off.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
This is my first season on a Beginner League. Its been a great season....mostly, until an incident tonight.

Anyone ever run into a guy taking full swings? The guy was irritated he lost a fair battle and fell over along with one of our guys. He unleashed a few swings at him and another lady on our team (and thankfully missed). Our player defended himself and knocked him over. So both guys got tossed from the game. (Kinda BS but fine)

That team is getting nasty. They have 8 shutouts over the 9 games before this one, this is the first time all year a team had a lead over them and they were not happy about it, especially that guy. It sucks that there are guys that can't seem to just go out there and have good time, and all of them are on the same team!

At least the other teams are out there just to have a good time and learning to play the game.
I must be missing something, but a team that is running the competition with multiple shutouts at the beginner level should be pulled out and moved into a higher level - where are the league officials?

Second, any group of players that is gloating for rolling beginners who can barely play/skate should have their a$$es kicked, that annoys me no end.

Last night I played my second open hockey session ever, and it was a mixed bag of noobs like me, and some very good, fast players.

A few of my opponents were dangling me and the other newbies, intentionally firing passes into our chests, or lowering shoulders as well. One moron came towards me with a lowered shoulder ready to drop me, but I saw him coming so I met him shoulder on, and while I cannot move around fast or well, I have great balance, and he basically bounced off me, giving me a look.

By the end of the night, I was ready to beat the life out of them. Yes, the other team were experienced and good players - BUT - to razz/chuckle total beginners is just total BS. It would be like me razzing a 6 year old after I dunked on them - a sign of few brains and no class.

If no one says anything, I think you should complain to the league officials.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I must be missing something, but a team that is running the competition with multiple shutouts at the beginner level should be pulled out and moved into a higher level - where are the league officials?

Second, any group of players that is gloating for rolling beginners who can barely play/skate should have their a$$es kicked, that annoys me no end.

Last night I played my second open hockey session ever, and it was a mixed bag of noobs like me, and some very good, fast players.

A few of my opponents were dangling me and the other newbies, intentionally firing passes into our chests, or lowering shoulders as well. One moron came towards me with a lowered shoulder ready to drop me, but I saw him coming so I met him shoulder on, and while I cannot move around fast or well, I have great balance, and he basically bounced off me, giving me a look.

By the end of the night, I was ready to beat the life out of them. Yes, the other team were experienced and good players - BUT - to razz/chuckle total beginners is just total BS. It would be like me razzing a 6 year old after I dunked on them - a sign of few brains and no class.

If no one says anything, I think you should complain to the league officials.
Theres only 4 teams.. so we'll take them. None of the other 3 teams have a problem losing. We all all happy to just be playing, its how it should be. Our team is the one that can keep with them. A guy before the game told me their team thinks the league is putting ringers on the other teams to try an d give them a loss. I had to walk away from that comment. Our roster has been set all year.

I am relieved that the guy fighting did not land a punch on the lady as he initially tried to do.... would have been a lot of us thrown out had it landed.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Steelhead16

The main reason I won't play in leagues with guys who have never played competitive hockey before. Lessons need to be learned about behavior like that and in those no contact environments you can't "teach" someone what is acceptable. A lot more guys become tough guys when there are no consequences.
95% of the people playing are great and the other 5% do their best to wreck it for the rest. The leagues won't do anything about them and if you try and "teach" them yourself you get a worse penalty than the offender. It sucks because there really isn't much you can do about it and it forces people to either stand by and take it or quit and go find something else to do.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:23 AM
densetsu

Our team was in the exact same situation last summer... the teams in the division we were placed were no match for us. And believe me, it was no more fun for us than it was for our opponents. But the league wouldn't move us up for some reason. I actually liked it when teams got the lead on us. It forced us to regroup and actually gave us a challenge... for a few minutes, anyways.

There were a few times where we celebrated excessively. Usually it was when a lower-skilled player scored their first (and only) goal of the season. But in general we tried to stay classy and keep things low-key, and tried not to run the score up. The odd time we did chirp and ran the score up, but I'm a goalie and not privy to the rationale on the bench that caused my teammates to behave like this. I just rolled my eyes.

There are teams that sandbag to try and get placed in a lower division; but we weren't that team. When you outscore opponents 70-something to 8 in the first five games and the league doesn't move you up, something is seriously wrong.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
I am relieved that the guy fighting did not land a punch on the lady as he initially tried to do.... would have been a lot of us thrown out had it landed.
I missed that about swinging at a girl. If someone hits a girl on my team, they are not going to be upright getting out off the ice.

That's something ingrained from years of hoops, you stand up for your teammates, and if someone is picking on your smallest/weakest player, you make them aware, that YOU are aware of it, like using a hard elbow to the ribs when jumping up for a rebound.

I'd guess in hockey games with only one ref, and so much action away from the puck, if one wants to get nasty, there is ample opportunity.

But you are correct, at the beginner level, most of us are thrilled just to be on the ice, wearing our gear, happy to be there.

If anyone thinks that the lowest level of a rec league is a place for competitive play, where most people probably cannot even skate forwards, let alone backwards, they need their head examined.

Old
03-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

From what I've seen and heard, the lowest levels of adult rec hockey are usually the worst in terms of cheap shots, guys trying to start fights, etc. Higher up, guys have already had their glory in high school or wherever and just play for fun.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:22 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
From what I've seen and heard, the lowest levels of adult rec hockey are usually the worst in terms of cheap shots, guys trying to start fights, etc. Higher up, guys have already had their glory in high school or wherever and just play for fun.
Totally agree with this, i notice a lot of guys who havnt played competitive try to do it now, which defeats the purpose of most beer leagues

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Marvelous to hear, my developmental level-league has evaluations this week, then starts next Friday. Great, I have to not only work on my skills, but watch out for the morons seeking the glory they never could have had 20 years ago...

Old
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Marvelous to hear, my developmental level-league has evaluations this week, then starts next Friday. Great, I have to not only work on my skills, but watch out for the morons seeking the glory they never could have had 20 years ago...
Dont worry about it, most of the time you wont run into any of this anyway.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
SabresFreak97

Just got done helping one of my buddies setup a (I know sounds bad) but a "traveling" hockey league. It's actually Roller but you run into the same type of people in Roller maybe even more than ice. We go to many rinks around the area each week and play about two games a week. Each of the two games are played at the same place but on different days.

We got about 60 guys for 10 teams. My buddy and myself did the "tryouts". We basically had the guys play on their own teams and we judged which players should be on each team. The 10 best players were deemed "captains" and in turn were given choice of players. The best part about this league is everyone knows everyone and gets along so there really are no gripes about who plays with who.

Anyway, today we had a team today outscore the opposition by a score of 12-5 by the second period. One guy in particular would get too excited when his team would score, so one of the guys on the team picked him up and threw him in the trash can to shut him up...Let's just say it stopped him from running his mouth and at the end the score was 16-9. The excited guy was the first to go shake hands with the other team and was very respectful.

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Razzmatazz

Hey TBfan, do you play at Brandon? I played in that beginner league, it's not as bad as the Intermediate league, I used to be a scorekeeper there a few years ago, and they are a bunch of hot heads and by far the most heated, most of the fights I've seen doing games have been in that one.

In the beginner league, I've had a few whacks taken at me, but it's usually a few individual hotheads, but most of the people are just happy to be out there, Windbag there doesn't know what he's talking about

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

One thing I have noticed over the years playing either pickup or shinny is that you get some guys who are not very good at all and spend their time getting into highstick wrestling matches in the corner and often times either spear or slash someone when they lose the puck because they suck to begin with. No sense at all to keep their sticks down and confrontations like you described happen too frequently with these clowns.

Usually they have full equipment, shoulder pads and all plus a full cage with mouthguard and ... suck. it is because they suck that they do it because they can't do anything else.

Usually these guys are taken care of quickly with a toe drag because they come screaming in too fast for the play because they can't skate so when you toe drag they wipe out into the boards because they were overdoing it to begin with. It usually gets a chuckle from the bench.

It seems like it is their NHL moment or something and they need to work like an NHL player or something. I haven't figured it out other than to shake my head muttering "What a putz".

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Halifaxhab*

A couple years ago I started playing hockey again. I went 15 years without touching a blade to the ice. I was heavier, had old equipment...etc.

I started by playing in what I thought was a rec league but like you, had several guys who felt they were playing for the Cup. They were all 21-25 played Major junior here in NS or CIS (our equivalent to NCAA Div 1)

It suck but the only thing that can be done is to have them kicked out of the league or moved up a division.

The team that was killing us was asked to either trade some players to other teams or to leave the league altogether. Mind you it was a 6 team league so it wasn't a big loss.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote