HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is a Canada vs. US summit series a good idea?

Old
03-04-2010, 01:45 AM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
A few (Russians that is), as is the case for some from all over the world if they are good enough. But in the end the USA system is gaining ground even in light of the Canadian jrs offering college opportunities...

Trust me, there is nothing sweeter than playing for Michigan, Boston College or Ohio State or many other top 50 USA hockey schools... in time...in time.
Sure there is, playing anywhere in the O or Dub.

The college option for players who were/are late bloomers or maybe smaller players who choose that route and turn into players is great but there is a reason why the vast majority of NHL caliber players choose the CHL. There is like what 100 Americans in the CHL?

Dont get me wrong, the NCAA is fine, especially if you are one of the 4.3 players per D1 team that is on a part or full scholarship, but the system is still far far behind MJ.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:46 AM
CanadaBacon

PS how many Canadians in D1?

Old
03-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoalov View Post
Which school is #50? I'd like to check out the % of NHL players coming out of there. Actually, what is #20. Heck, give me #10
There are 6 divisions in NCAA number one hockey, do you really want me to post all 50 teams? Come on....

Here's the link...have fun..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College...#Championships

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
PS how many Canadians in D1?
Enough...

Old
CanadaBacon

Quote:
There are 6 divisions in NCAA number one hockey, do you really want me to post all 60 teams? Come on....

Technically he only wanted you to post one team....whichever one is #50 or #20 or #10

Old
loxcane

Quote:
There are 6 divisions in NCAA number one hockey, do you really want me to post all 60 teams? Come on....

I wanted specific numbers, not the whole list. Which school would, in your opinion, represent the 10th best school?

loxcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:57 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Enough...
ok then

Old
03-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Are you serious? 10 million USA 3 year old boys and girls are skating as I speak....in time, in time...
Possibly, but hockey is an expensive sport, and the US economy is in very serious trouble, with massive debt that is only getting worse every day.

I wonder how many families are going to have to withdraw their kids from hockey due to financial reasons? Some certainly as parents lose their jobs, or are forced to work for far less than they currently do.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I wanted specific numbers, not the whole list. Which school would, in your opinion, represent the 10th best school?
Not going there, it changes year to year and decade to decade but I mentioned a few already.. just look up the top ten over the last ten years and you will answer your own question.,.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Technically he only wanted you to post one team....whichever one is #50 or #20 or #10
Well, I like Ohio State, you know...Keslar and Umberger products but I'm biased...

Old
03-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
ok then
Actually we want more... makes the games more fun... Oh, they get a bachelor degree and full time job in the USA after all the concussions and what not....

Old
03-04-2010, 02:12 AM
MJALLTHEWAY

Quote:
With the 2014 games in question as far as NHL player go we may see this on a professional level in time..

To be honest the USA has a lot to prove in international hockey, beating the Russians in 1980 and the Canadians in the non medal round of the 2010 Olympics mean nothing these days.. (note: every big four sport fan I talked to said the USA was not likely to beat the same top ranked team twice in a short 7 game multi country tournament such as the Olympics).

The USA is clearly on par with Canada and getting better every year, the days of Canada thinking they will win every international competition is over. That said Canada is tough but not only is the USA getting better so is the world.
Maybe I'm missing something? How is the USA clearly on par with Canada in terms of producing hockey talent, having the best team, etc. Look past the Olympics (as that's one tourney and a very small sample size) and look at the past 10 years. Look at World Championships won, WC finals, Olympic wins, Olympic finals, World Junior Championships won, World Junior Finals. Then come and tell me the USA is on par with Canada.

Oh wait, they came up with a ranking system already... http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...0-ranking.html

You were right on one point, they are getting better year after year, and will in time likely catch Canada, but it's premature to say it's happened already.

MJALLTHEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJALLTHEWAY View Post
Maybe I'm missing something? How is the USA clearly on par with Canada in terms of producing hockey talent, having the best team, etc. Look past the Olympics (as that's one tourney and a very small sample size) and look at the past 10 years. Look at World Championships won, WC finals, Olympic wins, Olympic finals, World Junior Championships won, World Junior Finals. Then come and tell me the USA is on par with Canada.

Oh wait, they came up with a ranking system already... http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...0-ranking.html

You were right on one point, they are getting better year after year, and will in time likely catch Canada, but it's premature to say it's happened already.
I alone cannot take on all of Canada by myself (as most who post on the main HF boards are Canadian) but I can do my best to defend my country-we will never stop trying to be better....ever!

Old
03-04-2010, 02:22 AM
loxcane

Quote:
I alone cannot take on all of Canada by myself, as most who post on the mains are Canadian, but I can do my part to defend my country-we will never stop trying to be better....ever.
What do you want to hear? Non facts? Is Spain on par with the US in basketball? How about Japan in baseball? Sorry, they actually won to make themselves champions.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:26 AM
MJALLTHEWAY

Quote:
I alone cannot take on all of Canada by myself (as most who post on the main HF boards are Canadian) but I can do my best to defend my country-we will never stop trying to be better....ever!
Sure there is some innate bias being a Canadian, but as the gentleman above already mentioned, facts are hard to argue with.

MJALLTHEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:28 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
What do you want to hear? Non facts? Is Spain on par with the US in basketball? How about Japan in baseball? Sorry, they actually won to make themselves champions.
How bout golf? I know the Uros beat us now and then...or how bout sailing? We lose that now and then as well...

To be honest, you Canadians will be better off when you lose in hockey now and then, you can then move on and not be so tense with a wonderful sport...

Old
03-04-2010, 02:33 AM
loxcane

Quote:
How bout golf? I know the Uros beat us now and then...or how bout sailing? We lose that now and then as well...

To be honest, you Canadians will be better off when you lose in hockey now and then, you can then move on and not be so tense with a wonderful sport...
We lost in 1996 to you. And this year in the WJC, to you. We also lost to the Swiss in 2006. I enjoyed all of it. In fact, if I had to guess, with your post in the other threads, it is actually you that can't beg off the tense feelings towards Canadians, let alone hockey.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
We lost in 1996 to you. And this year in the WJC, to you. We also lost to the Swiss in 2006. I enjoyed all of it. In fact, if I had to guess, with your post in the other threads, it is actually you that can't beg off the tense feelings towards Canadians, let alone hockey.
Come on nogo... I can go deeper but won't. Suffice it to say, if the USA could beat Canada in international hockey 2 or more times out of 4 this discussion would be moot.

It's the USA that wants respect here (hockey), in time we will get it...as I've said many times...in time, in time.

Old
03-04-2010, 03:00 AM
loxcane

Ahhh...Respect is never gained in defeat. Hadn't heard that one since my 5th grade Communist class

Old
03-04-2010, 03:03 AM
langcam

Who is number one? Canada is number one. USA ain't too shab tho. We need a 2011 CAN v RUS or CAN v USA 7 game series

langcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Ahhh...Respect is never gained in defeat. Hadn't heard that one since my 5th grade Communist class
Well Nogo, talk to the French in 1940... In fact, check out my avatar... The French never lost their respect even in defeat. The only thing I can say is that perhaps you attended the wrong school...enough of this as I am expected to know better. Congratulations dude, you are a great debater... peace and again, congratulations on your victory. Seriously!

Old
03-04-2010, 03:25 AM
loxcane

Quote:
Well Nogo, talk to the French in 1940... In fact, check out my avatar... The French never lost their respect even in defeat. I can only say you attended the wrong school then...enough of this as I am expected to know better. Congratulations dude, you are a great debater... peace and again, congratulations on your victory. Seriously!
I wasn't debating and I apologize if I came across as such. I'm sincerely interested in why you exude such an urgency for respect, when the fact is, it isn't the outcome that gains you any.

Last edited by loxcane: 03-04-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old
03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Please no. Do not ruin international hockey

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Just two teams is a horrible idea. However, bringing back the World Cup of Hockey in preseason would be preferable to the World Hockey Championships, in which teams are largely composed of NHLers from eliminated teams.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote