HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Manitoba Moose / MTS Centre group talking to NHL - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Smelling Salt

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Regarding him being at MTS yesterday, wasn't Bettman doing his XM radio show yesterday? I was listening at noon and I swear it was him on, though I don't catch the show often. I suppose he could have phoned in, but it sounded in-studio if it was him.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Latest rumors from JetsOwner:

-There actually will be a press conference sometime this week or next to announce the NHL's return to Winnipeg
-The Richardson family is also part of the ownership group (along with Mark Chipman and David Thomson)
-Apparently Winnipeggers will need to purchase at least 12,000 season tickets in order for the sale and relocation to move forward (similar to when Balsillie started selling tickets to the "Hamilton Predators")
-The team in question is not the Thrashers (Coyotes?)

There could be more, but these are the ones I find most believable.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post

-There actually will be a press conference sometime this week or next to announce the NHL's return to Winnipeg
-The Richardson family is also part of the ownership group (along with Mark Chipman and David Thomson)
-Apparently Winnipeggers will need to purchase at least 12,000 season tickets in order for the sale and relocation to move forward (similar to when Balsillie started selling tickets to the "Hamilton Predators")

Where exactly on the website did you read this? I can't seem to find it.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
welcomebackwinnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
Where exactly on the website did you read this? I can't seem to find it.
The forum.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
I never heard this texting rumour? I know 92 citi tweeted that Bettman sighted at MTS Center Tuesday. Are you sure about this, are these the same messages just getting mixed up?
I am as sure the sun will rise tomorrow
it is completely different

Old
03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
ramrod1

got a text today from a friend who said he saw bettman having lunch in downtown winnipeg today

Old
03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:

Those are interesting, to say the least.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:24 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Stannis View Post
Are there NO cell phone cameras in Winnipeg? For as often as he's seen there you'd think someone would actually think to snap a quick picture of him instead of relying on hearsay.
That's why I stated "I find it difficult to believe" and that it was "unsubstantiated," etc. I personally find it difficult to believe that Bettman would be walking around the streets of Winnipeg. That doesn't make any sense as he'd be recognized immediately.

Two of the recent rumours: a) Bettman in Winnipeg recently and b) a press conference tomorrow are being promoted in Winnipeg by a single radio station, 92 Citi FM. I don't believe they are credible at all.

There are a whole lot of rumours floating around and while they are certainly not all true, the question arises whether there is any "truth" or anything substantive "behind" such rumours? I guess time will tell.

GHOST

Old
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I've doubts any relocation announcement would be made while the regular season is still in progress. Personally, I think Winnipeg will indeed be getting a team for either the coming season or the following one, but the timing of an arbitrary date of March 4th just strikes me as a bit odd.

Old
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I've doubts any relocation announcement would be made while the regular season is still in progress. Personally, I think Winnipeg will indeed be getting a team for either the coming season or the following one, but the timing of an arbitrary date of March 4th just strikes me as a bit odd.
The date would have been picked because its before the playoffs and after the trade deadline and Olympics. It doesn't take the spotlight away from much as supposed to Balsillie's antics last year arguably took the spotlight away from the playoffs.

That being said, yes after the season would make the most sense.

Old
03-04-2010, 11:58 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Seriously now there won't be any announcement today... or any time in the near future.
I would guarantee that.
As far as I am concerned 92citi is just trying to get ratings and making this crap up on the fly.
It is unavoidable at this stage for Winnipeg not to get a team it will happen 1 year 5 years who knows. It will happen though

Old
03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Seriously now there won't be any announcement today... or any time in the near future.
I would guarantee that.
As far as I am concerned 92citi is just trying to get ratings and making this crap up on the fly.
It is unavoidable at this stage for Winnipeg not to get a team it will happen 1 year 5 years who knows. It will happen though
Darren Ford has posted at the returnofthejets site and indicated that there is definitely something happening, but it will happen when it happens. If Darren had been raising false hope based on specific rumors over the years, I'd discount it immediately. But he's not really done that in the past, and he does have some kind of an "in" with Chipman. In fact that's the reason he won't say anything, because he doesn't want to jeapordize that relationship. Still, it's pretty easy to read between the lines of his last posts and twitters. Something must be going on as we speak. When we learn of what that something is is beyond me.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:20 PM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
What has he posted/twittered? That guy is awfully good at subtly implying things but not really saying anything. Keeps interest alive I suppose...
Look, the pince-nez wearing skeptic act you've been trying to play doesn't suit you. We know the origin of your bias, and it's based on purely selfish motives. Based on your comments before, you don't get to play the "I'm just an innocent guy askin' questions!" routine. You want Hamilton over Winnipeg, we get it. You want to assign the rumors other have said about a 3/4 press conference and pretend the pro-Winnipeg people here were the origin. We get it. You think you're some sort of TV lawyer smacking down a proverbial packet of information on the table for effect, trapping a witness with his own words and then bleating out "I rest my case your honor" while smirking at the jury. We get it.

If that's how you see it, great. I don't. I think you're a frustrated Hamilton booster who was so crestfallen by a third failed end-run that you are lashing out at everyone. I personally said I will believe a move to Winnipeg when I see it announced, but I am also inquisitive enough to realize that these rumors aren't the garden variety ones, are coming from unusual places and are more widespread than any I've ever heard before.

As for Darren, I actually thought he totally lost interest in the site several times over the last year because he would post so sparingly. Hardly fits your "rumormonger" insinuation, but that wouldn't be the first thing you've been wrong about.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Look, the pince-nez wearing skeptic act you've been trying to play doesn't suit you. We know the origin of your bias, and it's based on purely selfish motives. Based on your comments before, you don't get to play the "I'm just an innocent guy askin' questions!" routine. You want Hamilton over Winnipeg, we get it. You want to assign the rumors other have said about a 3/4 press conference and pretend the pro-Winnipeg people here were the origin. We get it. You think you're some sort of TV lawyer smacking down a proverbial packet of information on the table for effect, trapping a witness with his own words and then bleating out "I rest my case your honor" while smirking at the jury. We get it.

If that's how you see it, great. I don't. I think you're a frustrated Hamilton booster who was so crestfallen by a third failed end-run that you are lashing out at everyone. I personally said I will believe a move to Winnipeg when I see it announced, but I am also inquisitive enough to realize that these rumors aren't the garden variety ones, and are coming from unusual places and are more widespread than any I've ever heard before.

As for Darren, I actually thought he totally lost interest in the site several times over the last year because he would post so sparingly. Hardly fits your "rumormonger" insinuation, but that wouldn't be the first thing you've been wrong about.
Well said!

Old
03-04-2010, 12:31 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

IEH says that they have another meeting with the NHL on Friday and things are moving forward as expected regarding their purchase of the Coyotes.

If a situation ultimately arises where IEH cannot complete the purchase for any reason and the team was forced to be relocated, I believe that is when Winnipeg would get the team.

However, as neither the NHL nor IEH have indicated there are any issues impeding the completion of the sale, I doubt we'll be hearing anything for weeks at the least.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
King_Stannis

Quote:
IEH says that they have another meeting with the NHL on Friday and things are moving forward as expected regarding their purchase of the Coyotes.

If a situation ultimately arises where IEH cannot complete the purchase for any reason and the team was forced to be relocated, I believe that is when Winnipeg would get the team.

However, as neither the NHL nor IEH have indicated there are any issues impeding the completion of the sale, I doubt we'll be hearing anything for weeks at the least.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:

Two potential issues that I read on AZ Central regarding IEH bid to purchase the Coyotes are that:

1. The group is looking for financial assistance from the State of Arizona in terms of purchasing the team, which they are not getting, or something to this extent.

2. They are also looking at the City of Glendale to subsidize and further losses the team would suffer as a result in playing at Jobing.Com

Can anyone validate these?

Old
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
this is funny. i can already envision the bad-market apologists sharpening up their keyboards in light of winnepeg's "failure" to announce an nhl purchase tomorrow.
This is funny. I can already envision the Winnipeg apologists sharpening up their keyboards to explain away the lack of any announcement -- those same ones who were trumpeting that it was sure to happen.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:54 PM
LT

Quote:

If that's how you see it, great. I don't. I think you're a frustrated Hamilton booster who was so crestfallen by a third failed end-run that you are lashing out at everyone. I personally said I will believe a move to Winnipeg when I see it announced, but I am also inquisitive enough to realize that these rumors aren't the garden variety ones, are coming from unusual places and are more widespread than any I've ever heard before.

Darren hadn't been visiting or posting because of the birth of his first child. We all know how busy that can be. He has of late been telling people to calm down and not believe the rumours but to save your money as things are still on going. It's hard to not get caught up in the rumours but I think most of us are excited yet guarded but hopeful. I have had private emails from what I think of as quality posters that have given me some hope that it's still going to happen soon but I still don't really know.

My gutt has always told me that we are plan B for the Coyotes, yet now there are other teams being mentioned like Florida, Nashville and of course the rumour of the Thrashers. Who the heck knows. I'm just hangin on for the ride

Old
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
LT

This is what the Mayor of Winnipeg has to say about all the rumours. I would think that he would know?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../13111931.html

Old
03-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Greaves

Quote:
This is what the Mayor of Winnipeg has to say about all the rumours. I would think that he would know?

I'm sure he's going to announce, "ITS TRUE BOYS! START THE PARTY!"...

Can't listen to big daddy Katz on this issue.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:

From article:
Quote:
If the NHL is on its way back to Winnipeg, Mayor Sam Katz says he doesn't know about it.
Amid continuing rumours that an announcement of an existing NHL franchise's imminent move to Winnipeg is coming as early as this week, Katz said Thursday morning that there's no truth to it.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:

This:

Quote:
"We know there are many Winnipeggers and hockey fans who would love to see the NHL come back to our great city, and maybe in time that will happen. But I can tell you that from the sources I have, these rumours have absolutely no foundation and no truth to them," Katz said.

"And it's extremely unfortunate that the hopes of those who want to see the NHL will be raised to a phenomenal level and then could be let down again. That's just not fair."

Katz added that he doesn't "have a clue" where the rumours -- among the most recent, that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was at MTS Centre Tuesday night while the AHL's Manitoba Moose were playing the Worcester Sharks -- have come from in recent weeks.

"All I know is that they're not true," Katz told the Winnipeg Sun.

"The NHL could come back to Winnipeg in the future, but it's not happening right now. And whoever is creating these rumours should stop it. I've heard them all -- and I'm telling you there's no truth to it."

Old
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

its funny that all of you cant see right through this... a radio station says something that they know will get them a ton of local attention....hmmmm

Old
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:

Well good to see they managed to get one thing correct.

Tick-tock, tick-tock. Where is the announcement guys?

I thought the reporter who had to resign for plagarism was "really plugged" into the situation.

Closed Thread