HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline Deals - All Trade Proposals and Inquires

Old
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I believe what is really being overlooked here is the addition of a healthy and productive Colin Wilson to the lineup...

Yes, Wilson made the team out of camp, but he was injured and took months to actually get healthy and show the level of dominance in the AHL that was needed to justify his recall just prior to the break. Had he not developed in time, Poile's hand would have been forced and he would have had to go out and make a deal for scoring depth. Realistically, who was traded yesterday that was a better fit than Wilson anyways?

The addition of Wilson is simply part of the development of our roster and I believe will add the scoring depth everyone has been looking for all season. Colin showed great chemistry with O'Reilly at Milwaukee and also grew up playing with and against Boyd in Winnipeg. I think Wilson is very happy to finally have arrived at the NHL level and I believe he honestly has no intention of heading back to Milwaukee if he can avoid it.

It's been a long year for Wilson, but one where he has shown maturity and resiliency and I believe he will ultimately be a key contributor down the stretch...
And if I may take your point one step further, it appears O'Reilly is starting to show his worth at this level as well.

To the people who say we should've traded this and that to acquire a scorer, what scorer are you referring to? Who should we have added? It's easy to say, add an offensive weapon but until you say to me a players name or a few different players for that matter that we could've added, I honestly don't want to hear it anymore.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Cade243

Send a message via MSN to Cade243
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And if I may take your point one step further, it appears O'Reilly is starting to show his worth at this level as well.

To the people who say we should've traded this and that to acquire a scorer, what scorer are you referring to? Who should we have added? It's easy to say, add an offensive weapon but until you say to me a players name or a few different players for that matter that we could've added, I honestly don't want to hear it anymore.
AMEN! hah. I think we did a great job yesterday. I've heard from multiple people outside this forum that we came out on top. We were quiet and strong. I totally agree! I'm looking forward to seeing this team develop over the next few games. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Cade243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade243 View Post
AMEN! hah. I think we did a great job yesterday. I've heard from multiple people outside this forum that we came out on top. We were quiet and strong. I totally agree! I'm looking forward to seeing this team develop over the next few games. It's going to be a lot of fun.
Agreed, Poile has rebuilt this team to pre-Balsille depth and done so very quietly. We have four lines to roll out that all have the ability to score on any shift, arguably the best top 6 back on defense in the league, and a 1a/1b goalie situation that will work itself out and provide us with depth at that position as well.

It will be a lot of fun to watch as the puzzle unfolds the rest of the season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:15 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Poni went for a young prospect who might be ready to play, plus a d-man who got flipped for a pick. The other two "scoring forwards" were traded for each other in a scenery change move out west. Other than that, there weren't any real scorers moving.

So down the stretch we now have two goalies capable of starting and winning and a #3 d-man ... neither of which could have been replaced from within.

Maybe you watched a different trade deadline day than the rest of us. 2nd round picks were the high price .... lots of depth moves and rentals.
Yeah, because not many players of value were really traded (other than Whitney, Vish, Woletski, Mueller). Hamhuis and Ellis package isn't comparable to Andrew Alberts.

Sure, if all they were going to net was a 2nd, I agree, it was probably wise to hold on him. But, I doubt very seriously that's all Philly, etc were offering.

Poile has very little imagination and creativity in trading. He's a very passive person and very slow to make any change. I'm not surprised he held on to him. But, there are plenty of GMs that would have moved him. And many that would have moved him last offseason when his value was higher, anticipating that he was going to be gone. Which is better? I guess we'll have to see if we make it past the first round of the playoffs with Hamhuis playing a key role.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:48 PM
OpenWheel

Poile made the decision to be in win now mode. I don't believe it was because of some panic that the team needs the playoffs for the money, or that we must give the fans a second round. I think it is because the SAD line is showing it's age. If they have one good playoff run in them it may be now. So lets go for it. And if they play at their best, we have plenty of solid players for the other lines. So Poile shored up what we didn't have, offense from the defense behind Weber and Suter, and added a utility player. Keeping Hamhuis and Ellis were addtions by no subtraction.

Personally, I would have dealt Ellis, but in truth as rentals neither Hamhuis and Ellis are worth as much as they are to our team right now. And this has to be the year. The SAD line will just get older and we aren't yet ready to replace them. Sure, trading Hammer and Ellis would have helped replace them, but at the expense of losing a try at a playoff run. This team could beat anybody in the West. Now we may not, and might easily get bounced in the first round, but we could.

So I'm satisfied with the moves. Poile didn't overpay for rentals, in fact seemed to get good prices, and didn't break up the team for the modest amount we would have gotten for trading our rentals. I think he did a good job. I was slightly concerned we were losing the depth of Jones, but he did add someone after all to fill the hole and who is more of a utility man.

I really like this team. Tonight's game with the Kings is huge.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
1. Why were the Philadelphia Flyers silent for the first time since 1993?
Indeed, it's been 17 years since the Flyers were spectators at the deadline, and their absence from the 2010 deadline was puzzling. Goalie Ray Emery(notes) is done for the season, leaving the Flyers in the hands of Michael Leighton(notes) (career playoff games: zero) and Brian Boucher(notes) (last playoff start: 2002). The Flyers also were looking to solidify their defense with one more addition.
The target was Nashville Predators defenseman Dan Hamhuis(notes), but they weren't about to meet the absurd asking price for the rental; CSN Philly had it at defensemen Ryan Parent(notes) and Braydon Coburn(notes) for a guy who wasn't expected to sign with the Flyers after the season.
From Tim Panaccio of CSN, why the Flyers didn't deal:
Holmgren confirmed that the Flyers were in talks with Nashville about defenseman Dan Hamhuis. The Flyers likely were stymied by not having a first- or second-round draft pick this year - or top-shelf prospect - to send back to teams.
Bottom line? The Flyers didn't have the draft picks to bowl anyone over. And because they had limited cap space, any major deal upward of $2.7 million would have required them to move one of their six no-trade/no-movement clause players or part with multiple key players that would have gutted their roster. Holmgren insisted his cap problems weren't "a stumbling block," but they were.
What is interesting is that the club didn't ask Simon Gagne(notes), a guy many NHL clubs still consider of high value, to waive his no-trade clause. In fact, the Flyers didn't ask any of their players to waive NTCs or no movement clauses.
Holmgren likes the team he has, and is ready to make a run with it. Which is something Flyers fans have been hearing from their general managers since, oh, roughly 1975.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,225839

Stuff we already knew, but interesting read.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:00 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Our "deadline scoring acquisition" Colin Wilson had a whopping 11 minute\change icetime tonight.

I'm all for giving him a chance, but Trotz has to cooperate. Then again, I'm not sure what he can do...all lines looked good offensively tonight, with the exception of the SLW line, but adding wilson in place of smithson to that line kind of kills the defensive prowess of that trio.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Our "deadline scoring acquisition" Colin Wilson had a whopping 11 minute\change icetime tonight.

I'm all for giving him a chance, but Trotz has to cooperate. Then again, I'm not sure what he can do...all lines looked good offensively tonight, with the exception of the SLW line, but adding wilson in place of smithson to that line kind of kills the defensive prowess of that trio.
Can't complain much about Trotz and ice time here. I expected Wilson to get less time but in fact he was rolling almost as often as anyone but a high number of penalties both ways (7 on them 5 on us) inturrupted that. Four minutes less PP then Arnott and no PK. He did get 3 minutes of PP, although one effort was really sad sack by him Dumont and O'Reilly. It just seemed that due to the penalties and breaks falling when they did, Trotz was able to ice another line out of the breaks because they had that bit of rest.

I'm going to be satisfied if that line keeps getting 10-11 a night which could give Wilson 13+ with some PP time. Be interesting to see who Boyd steals minutes from. I'll say I was very pleased to have Tootoo go after the guy who hit Wilson. Duanic thinks the guy went a bit high and with an elbow. For the cover of Tootoo alone I like Wilson staying on that line. It was good to hear Tootoo last game say something about Wilson being a "snowplow" on the boards or whatever word he used, freight train maybe. Said he was strong on the puck along the boards. So when a guy like Toots praises physical play that's good to hear.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

There's only 60 minutes of play, and considering all the PK and PP, I think that Wilson got his share of minutes. We have to have 4 lines flying, and we did tonight.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote