HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ville Leino's first game as a Flyer

Old
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
langerrr

vCash: 500
Ville Leino's first game as a Flyer

didn't see this discussed so I though I would start a thread...

I thought Ville Leino showed good puck possession and had good presence around the net(not as much as the old #22), but he definitely has size and it helps to have a bigger forward around the net. He also seemed very confident out there with a few nice dangles. Although I am big fan of Powe, I would like to see a lot more of Leino heading to the final stretch of the season and possibly through the playoffs.

langerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by langerrr View Post
didn't see this discussed so I though I would start a thread...

I thought Ville Leino showed good puck possession and had good presence around the net(not as much as the old #22), but he definitely has size and it helps to have a bigger forward around the net. He also seemed very confident out there with a few nice dangles. Although I am big fan of Powe, I would like to see a lot more of Leino heading to the final stretch of the season and possibly through the playoffs.
Leino around the net plays bigger than he actually is. It's a little deceptive, but he's certainly good in the crease. Despite all the skating jabs at him, he did pretty well in Laviolette's system. You can tell he's willing to put out the effort to earn a roster spot.

He has great hands, and though his skating will hurt him in space, he has the talent to make defensemen look foolish with his stick-work.

I would like to see both Powe and Leino in the top 9 with Asham as the 13th forward. I know people will get on edge about this, but Asham has had an incredible offensive display for a couple games that I doubt he will be able to repeat. I think Powe with Giroux and JVR would be best while trying Leino with Richards and Gagne.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
JCameron418

He's clearly worth more than OKT

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:56 PM
CdnFlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Leino around the net plays bigger than he actually is. It's a little deceptive, but he's certainly good in the crease. Despite all the skating jabs at him, he did pretty well in Laviolette's system. You can tell he's willing to put out the effort to earn a roster spot.

He has great hands, and though his skating will hurt him in space, he has the talent to make defensemen look foolish with his stick-work.

I would like to see both Powe and Leino in the top 9 with Asham as the 13th forward. I know people will get on edge about this, but Asham has had an incredible offensive display for a couple games that I doubt he will be able to repeat. I think Powe with Giroux and JVR would be best while trying Leino with Richards and Gagne.
I dont know if I would take Carcillo off that line until it stumbles...it seems to be rolling right now...as funny as it sounds to have Carcillo up there. But I agree that Leino may be the better choice than Asham...put Powe on with Betts and Lappy.

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyersFan View Post
I dont know if I would take Carcillo off that line until it stumbles...it seems to be rolling right now...as funny as it sounds to have Carcillo up there. But I agree that Leino may be the better choice than Asham...put Powe on with Betts and Lappy.
I agree leave the richards line alone. But you have to put carcillo with lappy and betts and powe would work best with JVR and claude. On paper I really like leino on the richards line, so long as he plays the same and deosnt pass the puck off too much because of his linemates. Carcillo knows when to shoot it still and thats why he works there.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
KevinLin

Disagree with breaking up this years most consistent line of Asham-giroux-JVR. I like Leino. Powe has speed and the boom but he has hands of stones and falls down a lot. And I really like a veteran presence with JVR-Giroux and Powe is not it.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
He's clearly worth more than OKT
That's a really low bar.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Kaktus*

It's going to be between Powe, Asham and leino.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I agree. I love Asham and the guy has about as much heart and grit as anyone in the league, but he is not really an offensive threat. Not that Leino or Powe is Brett Hull or anything like that, but if JVR and Giroux had a third piece to that line that could score, it would be more daunting for other teams to match up against. Powe has the speed to stick with Giroux and JVR and Leino can stick handle really well so I'd be cool with either Powe or Leino playing on that line. The only problem with a JVR-Giroux-Leino line is that I feel like JVR's best aspect is in front of the net and Leino seems to good at that as well. Guess this will all shake itself out over the next few weeks.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
TheLegendkiller

Asham has been pretty offensively good this year tholike he definately has an underrated shot and hands. Plus he's pretty good on his skates (See Asham breaking Jay McKee's ankles against the pens in one game). So if anybody should get replaced for a few games is somebody who hasn't been producing at all the way they are capable of. That would include Briere, Gagne and Hartnell. Theres no way Briere and Gagne would be temporaraily replaced and probably not Hartnell either but with the way he's been playing I feel like if Leino takes anybodies spot later on for awhile it should be Hartnell's. Even tho that does sound ridiculous.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Asham has been pretty offensively good this year tholike he definately has an underrated shot and hands. Plus he's pretty good on his skates (See Asham breaking Jay McKee's ankles against the pens in one game). So if anybody should get replaced for a few games is somebody who hasn't been producing at all the way they are capable of. That would include Briere, Gagne and Hartnell. Theres no way Briere and Gagne would be temporaraily replaced and probably not Hartnell either but with the way he's been playing I feel like if Leino takes anybodies spot later on for awhile it should be Hartnell's. Even tho that does sound ridiculous.
Briere, Gagne, and Hartnell's worst day is still MILES above Asham's best day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree. I love Asham and the guy has about as much heart and grit as anyone in the league, but he is not really an offensive threat. Not that Leino or Powe is Brett Hull or anything like that, but if JVR and Giroux had a third piece to that line that could score, it would be more daunting for other teams to match up against. Powe has the speed to stick with Giroux and JVR and Leino can stick handle really well so I'd be cool with either Powe or Leino playing on that line. The only problem with a JVR-Giroux-Leino line is that I feel like JVR's best aspect is in front of the net and Leino seems to good at that as well. Guess this will all shake itself out over the next few weeks.
I agree that both JVR and Leino seem to be very good around the net.

If we are leaving Carcillo with Richards and Gagne, and I agree that we should, I think Leino can fit in well with JVR and Leino if you allow JVR to roam a bit more. I like that we've got him trained to believe offense starts in front of the net, but I'd like to see the Flyers let his skill loose a little more. He's good around the net, but the vast majority of his goals this season are 2008-09 version of Jeff Carter in the high slot.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I do not know about that. I would bench this clown for a few games in favor or Asham or Powe. Hartnell is just horrible this season.

Lazy penalties, blind passes, missed chances, finds him self on his ass most of the time when trying to play physical hockey, poor D. I understand that this is not his season but come on. Even Carcillo learned to control him self for the most part.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:

Not Hartnell's. We've seen both in multiple games. Asham will score, get an assist and drop somebody on the ice not to mention break sombodies ankles while Hartnell we fall, turn the puck over, and miss an open net.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
flyguy
PetSoundsAvatar

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I do not know about that. I would bench this clown for a few games in favor or Asham or Powe. Hartnell is just horrible this season.

Lazy penalties, blind passes, missed chances, finds him self on his ass most of the time when trying to play physical hockey, poor D. I understand that this is not his season but come on. Even Carcillo learned to control him self for the most part.
I agree with this sentiment. Hartnell has been more of a detriment than a help to this team for far too long to not go unnoticed by the coaches. The penalties he takes sometimes are just mind boggling. He needs to sit.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's a really low bar.
Any positive feeling I can get from this teams managment I just run with it

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
CptCannon

Leave top6 untouched.

Then the bottom6:

JvR-Giroux-Leino
Asham-Betts-Lappy

Asham's quite like Carcillo as a player so the fourth line could be quite like it was with Danny C.

I'd like to see if Giroux and Leino could find some connection, both having good vision and great hands. Also JvR and Ville both going to the crease would be a goodie aswell. For example, JvR goes to corner or behind the net to dig for the puck, Leino would gladly go to the net. Making sure there's always atleast one guy screening the goalie.

Sit Powe.

Oh and if Harts continue his ****, then just throw him out of the lineup for few games and try Leino with Carter and Briere.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:28 PM
BerubeBox*

Hartnell gets a lot of criticism but he and Leino are light years apart. You're either way too much of a Hartnell hater, or way too optimistic (and way too much of a hartnell hater) to not see that.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Switch Carcillo with Leino and let Powe rest for awhile.

Gagne-Richards-Leino
Briere-Carter-Hartnell
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

Reunites the Betts line (which at the moment is looking average), and keeps the JVR-Giroux-Asham line intact.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
flyguy
PetSoundsAvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Hartnell gets a lot of criticism but he and Leino are light years apart. You're either way too much of a Hartnell hater, or way too optimistic (and way too much of a hartnell hater) to not see that.
This isn't about their skill levels. Hartnell has played like crap the last two games. He needs to learn he's being a detriment to the team by taking stupid penalties. If Powe is healthy, Scotty needs to sit for a game in order to get the message sent. Whatever Laviolette is telling him in practice about playing smarter, it's not getting through.

Old
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hartnell is just so off and on

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Gert B Frobe

Not sure how long Powe is out for and I'm sure Leino won't sit until he comes back. He certainly won't lose his spot after that performance - unless I didn't see him completely blow defensive assignments or something. So during Powe's absence maybe he plays well enough to push somebody else out but who? Asham and Carcillo have both played well basically all season in just about every assignment they have been given. Briere has been so-so for a while now but you just can't take his skill out of the lineup - and you want to see if he can build some momentum and confidence heading into the playoffs. Gagne was improving before the break and looked good in the first couple games back.

That leaves Hartnell- and I am not a Hartnell hater - I don't mind him taking aggressive penalties like roughing here and there, some cross-checking/boarding/elbowing type penalties. It's just his overall sloppy play that gets me. He really is out of control. Maybe he needs ritalin or something. He doesn't think about where he is on the ice - ever. I really wish we could have just traded him for a solid 2nd-3rd pairing winger. Maybe somebody not quite as good but younger and cheaper with a little up-side. Right now Hartnell is adding nothing. Leino probably isn't the answer but he just may be - he certainly would have a great shot at success in Hartnell's place for a couple games. Then again didn't Leino completely fail on the top line in Detroit?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Powe is day-to-day according to what the Flyers said last night, with a bruised foot.

Translation: Shattered foot; out for the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:01 AM
mypunkrock

Don't forget, Powe was a monster in the playoffs last year.

Honestly, I think Leino will have to impress Lavi to take Powe's spot. We all know Powe works perfectly for Lavi's system. Plus Powe is a robot sent back in time to save <s>John Conner</s> our playoff hopes and dreams.

Just accept it.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post

Honestly, I think Leino will have to impress Lavi to take Powe's spot. We all know Powe works perfectly for Lavi's system. Plus Powe is a robot sent back in time to save <s>John Conner</s> our playoff hopes and dreams.

Just accept it.

Regards,
Rick
That makes Ville Leino the T1000?

Or we could both be wrong, it is probably Leighton who is a robot sent back in time to save our play off hopes.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:14 AM
flyguy
PetSoundsAvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post

Just accept it.

Regards,
Rick
It is amazing how our team has a much more solid record with Powe in the lineup, but you don't think Leino earned his right to stay in the lineup? He was one of the few bright spots in that disastrous game. If Powe really has an injury, he should rest. He also hasn't scored since mid January so maybe having a Leino with a fire lit under him would be better than having a gimpy Powe.

For the record, if Powe is fully healthy, I still think Hartnell should sit a game.