HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Sound of Vancouver when Crosby Scored

Old
03-04-2010, 11:33 AM
TasteofFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
So are you trying to tell me that HF can cure hang overs? Good to know.
I can confirm that claim!

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valverde View Post
American handegg
Genuine laugh out loud moment!

Thank you...

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Aurora Borealis

I admit I didn't read through this entire thread, but I've seen enough Super Bowl and soccer comparisons.

Canada's obsession with hockey doesn't have any parallels elsewhere, if there were, we would have pointed them out a long time ago, so sports fans from outside of Canada could understand. But there aren't. Period.

Winning those 13 gold medals were great achievements for Canadian athletes and, without trying to downplay their successes, the 14th one may be worth more than the sum of the other 13. I know not all Canadians feel that way, but considering how many of us went out on the streets last Sunday, I'm guessing a lot would agree.

Aurora Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Thats all great. It is proving my point more. Toronto has no chance at a cup and Winnipeg obviously doesn't either. This is all they have to celebrate. If Toronto won a cup it would be worse than that, or at the very least the exact same.

I know it was great, I'm not saying that. However, it wasn't like winning WWII...lol, lets all get serious. Great win but lets all grip reality for a second, the Canadians were the favorite.
Uhm no we weren't. Canadians were expected to win by oh Canadians. And this is not all Winnipeg has to ****ing celebrate. We have football too you moron and championships by our CFL team (last being in 1990 but that's besides the point) doesn't even compare to Portage and ****ing Main being closed down for the amount of people celebrating in ****ing -20 C weather when Canada won on Sunday. Not even ****ing close.

You're going on ignore. Bitter Yankee.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

That is unreal.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Borealis View Post
Canada's obsession with hockey doesn't have any parallels elsewhere, if there were, we would have pointed them out a long time ago, so sports fans from outside of Canada could understand. But there aren't. Period.
I disagree with this. I think there are a lot of Canadians who think this and feel this way... but, seriously, soccer easily parallels it.

I think you'll find that nobody in this thread is from a country that's ever won a World Cup.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Sedin Twins

http://vimeo.com/9840437

Sedin Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:16 PM
JaysCyYoung

The only thing that could remotely compare to Canada's victory on Sunday in terms of capturing the national consciousness and shutting down an entire nation would be another English victory in the World Cup. That's about it in terms of significance and magnitude to a group of people.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF View Post
Vancouver, just a mere hour after Crosby's goal:

As a Vancouverite I never thought I'd see the city quite like this. Without a doubt the greatest moment in this city's history and it's sad to see the Olympics leave. That being said, Vancouver will never be the same.
It was the same thing in Toronto in 2002 & 2010.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
That video was a shot of Livecity Yaletown... and I'm glad to say that I was there along with atleast 4000+. Believe me, the speakers were far from clear and that was mostly actually crowd noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9tdR...layer_embedded

Embedded it for you.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The sound of relief imo....

Great game for both teams imo.. but it was won by Canada in overtime if I recall, and created by a team thought to be a fourth seed. A great victory by Canada and I congratulate you but it was close, closer than any of you would have dreamed of or willing to admit, and we (the USA) played in the game as well...

Next time....next time.
Isn't that what they said in 2002?

Old
03-04-2010, 01:33 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
It was only in response to a dude comparing a league football championship for one city which has several teams to root for with an Olympic Gold Medal winning overtime goal in a sport that defines a nation.

Let's agree that both comparisons are laughable.
His reponse was a total strawman.....

I was not comparing WW II with hockey, I was simply stating that the USA has not had a single unifying national cheer since the end of WW II.

My point stands....the US does not compete in a sport that the nation is identified with on a global scale in a match of best on best. American Football is not an international sport. Baseball is the closest (or maybe was) sport that both captures the identity of the nation and is international in scope. The main caveat, there is no best on best international tourney. Olympics Baseball and Little League world series don't count, mostly because nobody really cares and it is not the best players in the world taking part. Basketball is international and the Olympics has a best on best, but the nation is hardly united in their love of the game.

If you are from Pakistan (Cricket) or the Brazil, Argentina, Germany UK etc. (Soccer)....you can relate....but the fact remains. Americans cannot. The fact that nation still identifies with the glory of the Miracle on Ice is proof of that and hockey does not exactly underly the American Soul from coast to coast (massive understatement).

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter View Post
No, No and NO. This just didn't happen in Vancouver. It happened from coast to coast to coast across Canada. From St. John's, Newfoundland to the Queen Charlotte Islands and to Baffin Island.

Here are just two examples of the parties that happened across Canada at the exact same time:

Winnipeg:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-85785907.html

Toronto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHc6VGIK8-I

Embedded it for you.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Thats all great. It is proving my point more. Toronto has no chance at a cup and Winnipeg obviously doesn't either. This is all they have to celebrate.

If Toronto won a cup it would be worse than that, or at the very least the exact same.

I know it was great, I'm not saying that. However, it wasn't like winning WWII...lol, lets all get serious. Great win but lets all grip reality for a second, the Canadians were the favorite.
No it wouldn't. There are a LOT of people in Toronto that are Not leaf fans or even Hate them.

Everyone was cheering for Team Canada to win.

The Same Thing happened in 2002 when Team Canada won the Gold Medal @ Salt Lake City.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
The only thing that could remotely compare to Canada's victory on Sunday in terms of capturing the national consciousness and shutting down an entire nation would be another English victory in the World Cup. That's about it in terms of significance and magnitude to a group of people.
You're underestimating soccer's significance everywhere. Here is Italy's celebration in 2006:

If that's not enough for you... here is the celebration of that same event in New York City:

And even in Toronto:

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:54 PM
JaysCyYoung

The problem with Italy though is that, while in possession of an incredibly storied level of success from the national team at the international level of competition, the country doesn't compare as well to Canada as England does because its people don't harbour the same belief that the sport transcends their identity. England, like Canada with hockey, was the inventor of the sport and there exists a national crisis when the national team underperforms. They draw so much of their core identity and consciousness from what transpires on the pitch much like Canadians do with our hockey team that Italy doesn't really compare as well. They didn't invent the game and to my knowledge don't possess what some observers would call a sense of entitlement or birth right to the game like the English do with soccer and us Canadians do with hockey.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Mountainside

I dont think that people get that the celebration was shared across the entire country of Canada. Coast to coast. Every major and plenty of minor cities everywhere in between. It's truly amazing that the ENTIRE country could come together like this all at the same time.

You cant tell me people in Denver or Arizona are closing down streets for Pittsburgh's Super Bowl.

Mountainside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
garbageteam

Never cheered so damn loud in my life at a sporting event and probably never will...
That win was so critical it almost feels scripted..........

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Bluez

Quote:
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.

The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.

Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.
Lord have mercy!! ........You could get high sticked,speared, face washed and hit from behind all in one motion for making that comment in Canada! Don't know if you are or not, but if your not Canadian you have no idea what that goal means to us!

Bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFERinVANCITY View Post
Lord have mercy!! ........You could get high sticked,speared, face washed and hit from behind all in one motion for making that comment in Canada! Don't know if you are or not, but if your not Canadian you have no idea what that goal means to us!
You have to admit, that Holmes catch WAS pretty sweet

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I in the Eye

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
The problem with Italy though is that, while in possession of an incredibly storied level of success from the national team at the international level of competition, the country doesn't compare as well to Canada as England does because its people don't harbour the same belief that the sport transcends their identity. England, like Canada with hockey, was the inventor of the sport and there exists a national crisis when the national team underperforms. They draw so much of their core identity and consciousness from what transpires on the pitch much like Canadians do with our hockey team that Italy doesn't really compare as well. They didn't invent the game and to my knowledge don't possess what some observers would call a sense of entitlement or birth right to the game like the English do with soccer and us Canadians do with hockey.
I can't agree with this. Just because something wasn't invented there doesn't mean they don't hold it as dearly or as much of their identity as England.

Countries like Argentina, Brazil and Italy, care just as much about soccer as England does.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

The Sound of Vancouver when Parise scored: toilets were flushing throughout the land from all the puking that was going on.....

I just love a massive toilet bowl flushing sound....some people love to hear the sounds of children's laughter, euphoric crowds, a beautiful waterfall, but not me....I like to hear millions of people flushing toilets after puking up their 12 pack of Molson Ice!!!

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:22 PM
andyGILL

Send a message via AIM to andyGILL Send a message via MSN to andyGILL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
The Sound of Vancouver when Parise scored: toilets were flushing throughout the land from all the puking that was going on.....

I just love a massive toilet bowl flushing sound....some people love to hear the sounds of children's laughter, euphoric crowds, a beautiful waterfall, but not me....I like to hear millions of people flushing toilets after puking up their 12 pack of Molson Ice!!!
That goal felt like an abortion. Good goal, we just all felt like poop squared at that moment.

andyGILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:18 AM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

I swear, the tide picked up after the goal.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote